• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

The animation is so freakin' weird in this game. It seems like it was rushed out the door super quick, because these animations are unintentionally hilarious sometimes. Characters only moving their head sometimes and none of the rest of their body, like its just creepily swiveling on a static body. The ridiculous Kaguya hair animation, among other things. The incredibly awkward run/walk cycles for certain characters. The overuse of motion blur and particle effects.

For some reason, Ryuk isn't even voiced, he's subtitled and Light Yagami responds to him like he's voiced (he doesn't have a text box, so was this intentional or they just ran out of time?

He even stands in an unnatural pose in the thumbnail to this video, like someone just tilted his arms down from a T-pose.

I can barely even see what's going on in combat sequences due to the incredible amounts of motion blur and particle effects sometimes.

Anyone got any good GIFs or something of particularly silly sequences? Here's one that reminds me of a Source Filmmaker fan project:

https://my.mixtape.moe/mjnkwg.webm

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this game looks like one of the biggest videogame turds I have ever seen.

It looks fucking abominable.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
That's atrocious, Namco Bandai cheaping once again.
The Boa Hancock vs Kaguya battle looks like a PS2 game with "new-gen" graphics and particles.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
For some reason, Ryuk isn't even voiced, he's subtitled and Light Yagami responds to him like he's voiced (he doesn't have a text box, so was this intentional or they just ran out of time?
Ryuk in the anime was voiced by Shidō Nakamura II, who is a pretty famous voice actor. I am guessing Bamco just didn't want to pony up the money.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What is with that inconsistent voice acting in that light scene. And are they playing light as a hero?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
It's really a shame how rough this game looks. It had so much hype around it with the trailer alone when it was announced during E3, but to see this being the result sucks cause who knows if people will bother picking up at launch or even remotely close to launch. I'm all for fighting games and I'm all for supporting the FGC, but out of all the games to come out this year for me this is the least interesting one.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I say it in most threads featuring this game, but again, it's hardly surprising. The Spike Chunsoft arena fighter team that puts together these games has consistently released awful products.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why they've never bothered just doing another game like Jump Ultimate Stars, with a 2D perspective and simpler graphics. It feels like they really want this game to look AAA but with 1/10th the budget.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've always disliked the art style they went for here. The game looks super ugly and unappealing to me. It's pretty lame that's not the only issue.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I wonder why they've never bothered just doing another game like Jump Ultimate Stars, with a 2D perspective and simpler graphics. It feels like they really want this game to look AAA but with 1/10th the budget.

For real, the core concept or idea of "some of the most famous anime characters come together to fight one-another" or whatever the concept of the story is regarding "Jump Force" is a great idea. But this art style is fucking god awful, imagine how much better this would have been if it had the DBFZ art style lol.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. Unrealistic character models but shaded realistically. It's hideous.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
From the streams I've seen the only character with awkward looking animation is Kaguya.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't understand why there's a New York stage. Is it because it was featured in Avengers?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
going by the reception in this thread, I predict Jump Force will be the biggest soldthough day-one Bamco Anime fighters yet...

Nov 3, 2017
Granted, I haven't been following Jump Force super closely, but this still been one of the strangest cases of the Era bubble I've ever seen. All anyone ever talks about here is the supposedly terrible art style, and I've almost never seen the same complaint anywhere else.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Goku's quick "get up roll/attack" animation in that first video is pretty funny
It's like his ragdoll body is immediately being pulled to the other side upon landing

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I'm all for fighting games and I'm all for supporting the FGC, but out of all the games to come out this year for me this is the least interesting one.

The FGC never takes these third-person anime arena games seriously--they're not all as bad as this one but the recent My Hero Academia game didn't get any attention and neither will ASW's Kill la Kill game, to give some examples.

Nov 3, 2017
going by the reception in this thread, I predict Jump Force will be the biggest soldthough day-one Bamco Anime fighters yet...

Lol

Honestly, it won't surprise me. The game seems primed to do really well, especially in the West. It's got all the most marketable characters (no one is going to buy this game for fucking Arale you crazies), it's got character creation and all the social media metrics I can find seem highly favourable. Trailers and gameplay videos do really great numbers with very positive like/dislike ratios.

I won't say it's a guarantee, but I'd feel pretty safe betting money on Jump Force making bank

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand why there's a New York stage. Is it because it was featured in Avengers?
The Jump characters have invaded our real world. The game's story mode has you creating your own OC and teaming up.
I dunno, there are plenty of wonky animations outside of Kaguya, they're just not as obvious as the giant flipping plastic hair.
It's definitely not as smooth as something like Ultimate Ninja. It's more on par with Burning Blood.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Granted, I haven't been following Jump Force super closely, but this still been one of the strangest cases of the Era bubble I've ever seen. All anyone ever talks about here is the supposedly terrible art style, and I've almost never seen the same complaint anywhere else.
It's because there are a lot more 'involved' fans and industry people on here. When I see this game, I can't unsee the cheapness of the animation and the weird looking one-layer plastic shaders (as a game 3d animator and modeller myself). It's why those horrible looking 'X in unreal 4' with default shaders, ridiculous particle effects, incongruent artstyle and insane levels of motion blur get great buzz on YT but shit on here.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are probably behind on the concept of this game. Anime invades the real world. Isekai Fighting Game. That is all.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you should remove the video done by Shirako as that guy is a piece of shit.

As for the game, I feel the biggest issue with it would be the fact they talk so much. Not sure if it is a Japanese thing because I saw it in other games like this but it sure is annoying.