• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you are probably behind on the concept of this game. Anime invades the real world. Isekai Fighting Game. That is all.

I certainly get why the style and all bothers some people. I was skeptical until I played the beta too. I'm not saying that there's deep or rich gameplay to be had here, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than J-Stars for sure, and my created guy looks pretty good.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

That gameplay looks like one these terrible fan-made UE4 tech demos.
"ZELDA OCARINA OF TIME UE4 REMAKE!!!!!!!!!!"
"MARIO 64 UE4 REMAKE!!!!!!!"
"UE4 ANIME FIGTHING GAME!!!!!!!!!!"

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
If u think about, that's pre-souls FROM software resume in a nutshell too.

That's another crew I'd like insider info on. Their case seemed more like seat shuffling until a winning combination was found and thus they stayed nearly consistent afterwards, which is what should happen. However this is not happening with Spike Chunsoft. Sonic team can also fall under what you're saying. It's odd to me.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

That gameplay looks like one these terrible fan-made UE4 tech demos.
"ZELDA OCARINA OF TIME UE4 REMAKE!!!!!!!!!!"
"MARIO 64 UE4 REMAKE!!!!!!!"
"UE4 ANIME FIGTHING GAME!!!!!!!!!!"

That's been my feeling the whole time. I want to be into this game because a great 3D fighter with so many Jump characters is something that could be good, but this semi-realistic style doesn't fit when you also want to stay faithful to the originals. They look like plastic figures, except with smoother (but still stop-motion-esque) animations. And the special effects are all over the place like those amateur remakes: everything's shiny, motion blur up the ass, colours that don't make a lot of sense, all to hide the fact that the assets are actually pretty low quality. I mean, look at Ryuk's face close-up on the second video - dead eyes, no expression whatsoever, and the fact he's not voiced unlike the other characters in the scene is the icing on the cake. Is this seriously the best they can do with this concept?

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you should remove the video done by Shirako as that guy is a piece of shit.

As for the game, I feel the biggest issue with it would be the fact they talk so much. Not sure if it is a Japanese thing because I saw it in other games like this but it sure is annoying.
Removed on request, but is there another video I can use for kaguya animation examples? Going to bed, I'll update later.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
when are we gonna get video game equivalent to what Arkham series was to Batman for Shonen Jump. games are just made poorly just trying to cash in on the franchise name.

Beg Nintendo to lend you Sakurai for a few years and make a Shone Jump Bros.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
They have the right idea, just not the right tools and vision on how to put it together. I want a big crossover narrative story with Jump characters. But not one that looks like borderline claymation .

KingT

Oct 30, 2017
What a waste Jump Star IMO is more appealing than this piece of junk and that tell's all you need about how I feel about this game.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
WTF super saiyan hair looks super weird, like, it looks black, but I guess it's supposed to be golden but the shadows are all fucked up? Looks terrible.
Also I hate the concept of "anime characters but in the real world".

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
This videogame feels like one of those amateurish projects, but it's not, it's a 110€ product (with the season pass) which looks horrible.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
I love how some people on my fb feed were blaming it on Unreal Engine. I mean have they seem DBZ, Guilty Gear, etc?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This should have been designed like UMvC3 or DBFZ, the animations and facial styles have put me off this game

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously, this looks so ugly that I even have no interest in checking out the gameplay... Huh.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Spike lol. Why the fuck did they go for this art direction after RB1? I don't fucking know.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks rough alright. Shame... game could have been great fun if Bamco had got CC2 to make it in the Ultimate Ninja Storm style, but Spike Chunsoft were never gonna be able to do anything terribly great with it.

I'll probably pick it up on sale at some point though... I'll buy pretty anything that has Kenshiro in it.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you dont go full in ASW style cel shading because it triples the work you could easily go Platinum games style cel shading and use outlines a shaders and then hand paint the comic book shadows on a separate map as well as make separate maps for handpainted shadows. It's not hard. You load the model into substance or even photoshops 3d mode, and make a separate layer for each map. One for darks one for highlights and for cel shading not much else. The lighting engine handles the rest in motion because it triggers the authentic painted shadows only based on how much light or shadow is on the object. You can even do multiple normal maps to add the equivalent of screen tone textures permanently in any light or even for beta and tenebris like how Platinum did it I their failed ninja turtles game that while bad was gorgeous.

Seriously. Cell shade is not hard these days. Its damn near as easy as just normal 2d photoshop work where everything is it's own layer any how. Same mentality. Only thing that takes effort is not adding too much shadow and having big black blotches on someone's sides when their arms swing away from them and let light in. Always looks awkward if you got too much and it stays dark even when lit. Easy to correct though. Just gotta remember as you paint In 3d to not go hard on outlines for what ever angle you paint from. Outline properties generate those darks as needed on the fly so your mindset should be only to paint where muscle creases and clothing folds and overlaps are. The rest lighting and outlines will add to it.

Seriously. Not hard.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
freeza_planet_needs_him.gif

i do really question this game some times

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think this kind of thing is pretty hard to do
1. You've got characters who only exist in a 2D world, that typically creates some difficulties as soon as you need to move them to 3D.
2. Their entire animated history exists in a super low framerate, something that doesn't translate very well to comfortable gameplay
3. You've got different characters, by different artists , animated by different animation studios all with thei own trademark looks.

It's not to say it wouldn't be impossible, but perhaps some early choices have made this even more pronounced. The natural looking textures and lighting on characters that only exist as animated cells does look pretty awful.
It's certainly hard to look at after seeing DBFighters

However,It does look like some of the mo-cap has been done using a Kinect.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you dont go full in ASW style cel shading because it triples the work you could easily go Platinum games style cel shading and use outlines a shaders and then hand paint the comic book shadows on a separate map as well as make separate maps for handpainted shadows. It's not hard. You load the model into substance or even photoshops 3d mode, and make a separate layer for each map. One for darks one for highlights and for vel shading not much else. The lighting engine handles the rest in motion because it triggers the authentic painted shadows only based on how much light or shadow is on the object. You can even do multiple normal maps to add the equivalent of screen tone textures permanently in any light or even for beta and tenebris like how Platinum did it I their failed ninja turtles game that while bad was gorgeous.

Seriously. Cell shade is not hard these days. Its damn near as easy as just normal 2d photoshop work where everything is it's own layer any how. Same mentality. Only thing that takes effort is not adding too much shadow and having big black blotches on someone's sides when their arms swing away from them and let light in. Always looks awkward if you got too much and it stays dark even when lit. Easy to correct though. Just gotta remember as you paint I 3d to not go hard on outlines fro. What ever angle you paint from. Outline properties generate those darks as needed o the fly so your mindset should be only to paint where muscle creases and clothing folds and overlaps are. The rest lighting and outlines will add to it.

Seriously. Not hard.
They already did cel shading with Burning Blood. It's not like they don't know how to do it.