• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that CinemaSins are somehow responsible for this perceived "cheapening" of film criticism is laughable. (The idea that film criticism ever was some proud bastion of impartiality or diligence is nonsense.)

Film criticism, and all criticism, has no illusion of some bullshit impartiality. It does look beyond surface level issues to examine subtext, narratology, and other aspects of film to analyze them, though. Which is something cinema sins wouldn't have the mental faculties to do.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely dropped CinemaSins after they started adding those awful edits at the end of each video.

If the creators actually think any of that bottom of the barrel shit is actually funny then that says more about them than a million analysis videos.

Though if you only ever want to watch a part of one of those videos, it should be this one:

(start at 28:26 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Huff huff huff... I ran over as fast as I could to say Fuck cinema sins. You can't just make garbage content and call it satire

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people behind CinemaSins have shown numerous times that they try to pass off as legitimate until someone point out how horrible their criticism are and then it's magically satire.

It's a no-win situation:

Cinema Sins is comedy - "but we know what we're talking about when it comes to criticizing a film."
Cinema Sins has bad criticism - "but we're satire."

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still enjoy Cinemasins, but I don't take it seriously, it's just entertainment for me.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I don't need CinemaSins to tell me what I found so wrong with A Quiet Place that it almost took me out of the movie.

The daughter came across as rather annoying, and them wanting to try to raise a baby in that environment seemed very unrealistic and quite ridiculous.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
It's the internet so yes.

But really it's the editing and presentation of the series. If they want to go comedy, go all-in and actually be funny. If you want to go serious, actually make a point.
Are critics of this show actually watching this series though? I see no reason why they can't voice opinions of a movie while occasionally pointing out genuine problems as well. They've even stated as such. I'm not gonna hate on them just because they skirt the line between satire and criticism. Apparently their brand of shit-talking movies for whatever reasons works and they're getting the views. No one is saying that these guys are MSTK, nor should that be.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's an entire channel centered around nitpicking. In no way was it meant to be a legitimate review of the movie and you probably shouldn't base your opinion of the movie off of it.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
It's an entire channel centered around nitpicking. In no way was it meant to be a legitimate review of the movie and you probably shouldn't base your opinion of the movie off of it.
Only Cinema Sins presents themselves as legitimate critique, and if you look at the team's actual reviews they list off many of the same complaints that were in their Sins videos.

Just chiming in to say fuck Cinema Sins.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only Cinema Sins presents themselves as legitimate critique, and if you look at the team's actual reviews they list off many of the same complaints that were in their Sins videos.

Just chiming in to say fuck Cinema Sins.
I don't think "scene does not contain a lapdance" and "roll credits" are someone presenting themselves as legitimate. Even if some of the critiques carry over it's still 90% random crap most of the time

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
NippyVagueCockerspaniel-size_restricted.gif

Begone sins of the cinematics! Heed thy cursed flawed criticism and cease your curse of this OP!

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Cinema Sins is bad but A Quiet Place has a shit load of problems. I really wish I just watched the first half of it and left it at that.

I haven't seen the film. Looking at Rotten Tomatoes I see this film has a critics score of 95% and an audience score of 83%. My most reliable critic, Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian, made it his film of the week, and the BBC's Mark Kermode described his extraordinary experience of watching the film together with a Friday night audience in Truro.

Okay, now I want to see this film of a genre I usually avoid.

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't seen the film. Looking at Rotten Tomatoes I see this film has a critics score of 95% and an audience score of 83%. My most reliable critic, Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian, made it his film of the week, and the BBC's Mark Kermode described his extraordinary experience of watching the film together with a Friday night audience in Truro.

Okay, now I want to see this film of a genre I usually avoid.

Fair enough, hopefully you get more enjoyment out of it than I did. I felt like the first half was pretty strong in establishing the rules. Then the 2nd half just abandons half of those rules for spectacle.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't speak to the site or video but I thought AQP contained one of the stupidest scripts I've encountered in recent memory.

I'm pretty forgiving in terms of plot holes, especially when it comes to fantastical scenarios and narratives, but this film is nothing but people making a series of stupid decisions for the sake of the story.

It's also a PG-13 sanitized snore of a 'horror' film.

Thank Christ I had Heredity to wash out the taste of this pablum a couple of months later.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think that A quiet place is really overrated and the world building falls apart after analysing the movie, but fuck cinemasins, they are trash.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'm pretty forgiving in terms of plot holes, especially when it comes to fantastical scenarios and narratives, but this film is nothing but people making a series of stupid decisions for the sake of the story.

Isn't Horror as a genre rather infamous for such ridiculous tropes? I really enjoyed Cabin in the Woods exactly because it ripped into the whole "let's split up, it'll be faster/this place has a cellar, let's explore it right now instead of waiting for morning" phenomenon.

I loved Kermode's account of his silenced Truro audience inadvertently getting a jump-scare because one of them dropped something on the floor. Now that's good horror, and I write as somebody who sometimes literally jumps up in his seat in a horror scene.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I don't need CinemaSins to tell me what I found so wrong with A Quiet Place that it almost took me out of the movie.

The daughter came across as rather annoying, and them wanting to try to raise a baby in that environment seemed very unrealistic and quite ridiculous.
Why is it unrealistic or ridiculous for them to try to have a kid in an apocalypse/bad situation? The movie establishes that they're not merely surviving day-to-day but trying to live a life and create a sense of normalcy and hope for their family. It was clearly something born out of grief, and the movie showed their planning and baby-proofing worked. People have had children in worse situations in real life, let alone a post-apocalyptic one.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Wow, lot of hate for cinema sins here. Makes me think there's a lot of people here with shit taste in movies...

Anyways, my favorite will always be:

Dude nails that movie to the wall and he doesn't even hit on how badly half of them act. The grenade countdown is the best.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, lot of hate for cinema sins here. Makes me think there's a lot of people here with shit taste in movies...

Dude nails that movie to the wall and he doesn't even hit on how badly half of them act. The grenade countdown is the best.

Ah yes, not liking Cinema Sins, such a great indication of tastes in film

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Just curious, but would people complain about this series if it was called "cinema tropes" instead?

Kind of? Because it's still not very useful as a medium of critique or commentary. Playing a game of "here's a thing" 100 times over the course of a video isn't much of anything. "Here's a monster in shadows". "Here's a climactic scene that calls back to an establishing shot earlier in the movie". "Here's a moment where we use diegetic material in a contrived way to help make sure the audience is able to understand the rules of the universe." Well, I guess the last one would actually be a bit more useful than what they actually do even if I think it's still a bit too nuts-n-bolts analytical in comparison to actually thinking about big-picture storytelling purpose (i.e., what purpose the story itself is serving, not just what this moment serves for the story).

Like, even though I disagree with it I can understand the thought process of someone who looks at a horror movie, think, "oh, great, yet another fast-moving fangy monster that's mostly going to be obscured in shadows yet again why do people bother with these cliches". I'm not sure that a 30-minute youtube thing that starts out with "shot barely gives us a chance to see what the hell the creature is, what's the point of this shot" is useful criticism because it's enabling a sort of filmic illiteracy that wants to ask questions about why content is the way it is without considering theme, motivation, metaphor, etc. CinemaSins is particularly notable because they use this in a dismissive way that feels anti-art and anti-intellectual but they're hardly the only ones on youtube that want to engage with movies in only the most basic, surface-level means imaginable.

I like Dan "the foldable guy" Olson's video here on popular "analysis" of Annihilation and how it misses the forest for the trees:

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking people who dislike CinemaSins are the ones with terrible taste.

XeroxKopy

Oct 27, 2017
To any of you arguing that CinemaSins is obviously just satire and no one takes it seriously, I present:

...and that's everything wrong with CinemaSins.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Not liking Cinema Sins = shit taste in movies.

That's *some* conclusion to jump to.

Tell us more, please. What other school of thoughts do you subscribe to ?
I didnt say all, just lots of people. I wonder though why so many hate his opinions so much. Yes, he will sometimes whine subjectively or even complain about his own misunderstandings of said movie but overall, the guy understands how scriptwriting and movie production work, either from having done it or simply watching enough cinema to understand it. I've seen him right about shit movies more often than not. THATS my school of thought on cinemasins guy. What are your direct criticisms of his criticisms if I may ask?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt say all, just lots of people. I wonder though why so many hate his opinions so much. Yes, he will sometimes whine subjectively or even complain about his own misunderstandings of said movie but overall, the guy understands how scriptwriting and movie production work, either from having done it or simply watching enough cinema to understand it. I've seen him right about shit movies more often than not. THATS my school of thought on cinemasins guy. What are your direct criticisms of his criticisms if I may ask?

If you haven't, watch this. A bit lengthy but goes into great detail:

Oct 27, 2017
United States
To any of you arguing that CinemaSins is obviously just satire and no one takes it seriously, I present:

...and that's everything wrong with CinemaSins.
Why would it have to be satire to be entertaining? We live in a world where cinema has slowly degraded into kindergarten level entertainment and you dont think there's plenty to make twenty minute YouTube videos, critically analyzing current movie's faults? What point are you trying to make about cinemasins and their gimmick? Please, I'm missing the point here and would like a little guidance or, at the least, a WHY you think cinemasins is trash.

Edit:ok, gimme a sec. Watching video, maybe I'll figure this out on my own...