• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck Cinemasins but this movie is way overrated. It's a clever idea stretched twice as long as it can sustain and it's full of plot holes and you can see the ending coming from miles away. 6/10 at best.

The movie isn't great because the ending is surprising or the plot is air tight, it's great because the acting, direction, and design.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Cinema Sins was good when the videos were like 2-3 minutes long and full of humorous, silly takes rather than attempting "serious film criticism."

It's gotten progressively worse and is now god awful and has been for many years.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I only made it to "sin" 5 of this video before I had to stop watching. He complains that the movie has a shot to establish a character's hearing disability? Really? That's a sin??

There's a clip of them counting a sin because there's a narrator in the opening shot. It may be in one of the videos made by Shaun. Cinema Sins is a garbage channel and the writer and host are idiots. There are a few long-form videos on YouTube that go into it.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cinemasins are trash and are often lying make the movie look worse.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
CinemaSins is bad, but the only problem I had with the film is regarding how they lived - why not just live underground? At least daily living would be simple and they don't have to worry about noises or those things getting in, they'd only have to pay attention when outside. I liked the move any ways, but I always was thinking "just live underground?". Like a bunker or closed off tunnel or something.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
Honest Trailers isn't what it was before, but they at least make some good jokes and you generaly feel their love for movies. If a movie is good, they won't shy away of saying it. Cinema Sins is just nitpicking for nitpicking's sake (often not even justified), and fits in a culture where people over-analyse movies to the point they are barely able to suspend their disbelief anymore. It's the kind of 'but bombs don't fall in space' argument that might seem like solid critisism, but doesn't say a thing about the actual quality of a movie (which, if done good, sets out it's own rules)

I'm personally not the biggest fan of A Quiet Place, but using CinemaSins to create an opinion on something is not advised, OP.

You're allowed to think that Honest Trailers is trash, but there's a very big difference between them and CinemaSins.

Honest Trailers is obviously satire, if you watch other ScreenJunkies stuff or listen to the Q&A's with the writers of Honest Trailers they sometimes do, you clearly see that they love movies and purely see the Honest Trailers as jokes. A lot of the directors they joke about like them as well and some have even collaborated with them on Honest Trailers, or watch the Honest Trailers with the writers and comment on them.

Meanwhile, CinemaSins is some guy genuinely thinking he's criticizing a movie for its flaws while in reality offering nothing but shallow criticism that often completely misunderstands the movie he's "criticizing" and just contributes to the awful nitpicky amateur "critics" culture that's big on social media.
I've been less than charitable to Honest Trailers then. I kinda lumped them both together as "nitpicky criticism disguised as satire", but I guess I should read up more on what actual filmmakers think of HT's content. I know that the main thing that made me aware of how disingenuous Cinema Sins' videos can be was the pushback from Jordan Vogt-Roberts about their Kong Skull Island video.

Sorry for talking out of my ass.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Didn't really like A Quite Place. The whole waterfall thing made me say "why the hell don't you live near that, then???"

But I don't like Cinema Sins more. They thrash movies just to thrash them. After a while they just seem kinda spiteful.

I agree with this take. I had my own problems with the movie, but CS is just way over the top , and evidently can't enjoy anything.

Interesting point about the waterfall- I never considered that. For me, its the fact that the monsters can pinpoint a small noise from miles away, but can't hear you breathing when they're in the same room as you.

Also, John K. acting like this is a brilliant piece of auteur cinema, when it's really just a fun horror movie.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Never seen CinemaSins so it was enjoyable for a laugh. I really enjoyed that movie and my wife and I find it fun to nit-pick movies after we have seen them a few times.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
In, what, a tent? Maybe they could have scavenged some silent construction equipment.
Yeah, I don't think the 'why don't you just live under the waterfall'-argument is very compelling. However, I do think the movie has some issues with being consistent with its own rules, mainly what sounds do and what sounds don't trigger the aliens. At certain points in the movie the aliens are triggered from a pretty far distance by the smallest sounds, yet at other moments they make sounds that are much louder than the sounds that did trigger the aliens moments earlier.

I also think they made a mistake by making Emily Blunt's character be pregnant, since that opens up a lot of questions as well considering the setting. I get what the movie was going for metaphorically with Emily Blunt's pregnancy, but it just doesn't work in the world the movie's building up. You want me to believe that this family that is super careful with every single sound and has experience with losing a child because that child was careless would try to go for a new baby? Why would they do that? Do you know how fucking loud babies are? How did they even manage to get pregnant anyway, by having extremely quiet sex? I'm sure that they could've figured out something else that would work with the themes of the movie and doesn't require this huge suspension of disbelief that this specific family would try to have a baby in a world where stepping on a twig can mean instant death.

I also had an issue with the ending of the girl finding out that the one weakness of the aliens was highly pitched tones. See, there are already real-life experiments being done with sonic warfare. Surely if aliens attack and people find out that they rely purely on hearing (which they do, it's in those newspapers), one of the very first thing the military would do is bombard them with extreme high frequency sounds? I simply couldn't buy that this girl is the very first to figure out that the aliens are weak to high frequency sounds.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people love to claim Cinema Sins is a comedy channel but they can never seem to explain why or how it's funny.

Pretty much.

Making shit up about something not there in a movie isn't comedy, it's lazy and just trying too hard.

And yes, people defending Sins, people look at their dings as valid points. Because most people are as stupid as Sins and haven't seen the movie in the first place.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
A Quiet Place was shit, but yeah, fuck Cinema Sins.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
Cinema SIns appeals to the aggressive stupidity of people who instead of actually wanting to engage with a work on a critical or even basic level would prefer to discuss things with hot takes or worse yet, would rather not watch the film at all but it's highly rated so they need some sort of personal validation that everyone else is wrong.

I don't believe this to be true at all. I've been watching this series since its debut and I don't even remotely take the videos and their critiques seriously. Honestly, I just look at it as a fun recap of a movie or "why-didn't-I-think-of-that" sort of mindset. Some would argue that his "hot takes" has lead to people actually seeking out the films to watch them in full. I do agree that their comedy is broad, but I don't think that the audience isn't smart enough to know what their watching.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I've been less than charitable to Honest Trailers then. I kinda lumped them both together as "nitpicky criticism disguised as satire", but I guess I should read up more on what actual filmmakers think of HT's content. I know that the main thing that made me aware of how disingenuous Cinema Sins' videos can be was the pushback from Jordan Vogt-Roberts about their Kong Skull Island video.

Sorry for talking out of my ass.
Fun thing about Jordan Vogt-Roberts, he's actually one of the directors I was referencing to when I said 'Some directors have collaborated with Honest Trailers', as he actually narrated and wrote a big part of the Kong: Skull Island Honest Trailer.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe this to be true at all. I've been watching this series since its debut and I don't even remotely take the videos and their critiques seriously.
Funny thing about that, they have actual critique videos, and include the same brain dead criticisms as they do in their "satire." Cinema sins is worthless and a huge joke in the film industry.

Last edited:

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this take. I had my own problems with the movie, but CS is just way over the top , and evidently can't enjoy anything.

Interesting point about the waterfall- I never considered that. For me, its the fact that the monsters can pinpoint a small noise from miles away, but can't hear you breathing when they're in the same room as you.

Also, John K. acting like this is a brilliant piece of auteur cinema, when it's really just a fun horror movie.

Pretty much. It's Shyamalan if he had no belief in fiction. Just watch Signs or The Village instead.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Has the OP only posted once with a one sentence post and a link to Cinema Sins?

You all are being taken for a ride.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's not horrible, it's just meh.

Oh and don't take CS criticisms seriously. They are always stupid.

Oct 29, 2017
Cinema Sins is bad but A Quiet Place has a shit load of problems. I really wish I just watched the first half of it and left it at that.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I won't say CinemaSins isn't trash, but they're clearly not meant to be taken seriously. At least, that's what I've taken from watching a few videos.

Honest Trailers and Pitch Meeting are shorter, better versions of the "funny critiques" formula though.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Except when they are.
When? I assumed it was just jokes when they regularly docked "points" for movies having studio logos before them.

I went more into it in my edit, but CinemaSins just comes across as a longer, dryer version of Honest Trailers and, more recently, Pitch Meeting.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing better than "CinemaSins is trash, watch this terrible version of guys trying to make fun of CinemaSins to get views" video posts.
CinemaSins is trash because their disingenuous dreck is influencing a lot of people to watch films in the most tiresome, competitive way. And that's when their points are actually valid. They often are just wrong about what they say is a mistake because they clearly write their script as the movie is going along, and anything that makes them think at all is treated as a "mistake". They don't address it like "whoops, our bad, that actually does make sense. Take off a sin *dong*" later in the video. But all the people who only watch their video, and not the actual film in question, use their nonsense arguments against movies they've never seen when "discussing" (read: shitting on) movies online. Calling their work parasitic is too kind; they are a virus.

Someone else making a video to mock them isn't on the same level as their widespread, insincere money-grab disinformation campaign. "Aha! You claim to dislike CinemaSins, yet you linked a video using the same format as them. Gotcha!" as an argument is fucking insipid.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Probably my biggest problem with the movie is
How they end up defeating the creature. As soon as anyone with half a brain figures out they are blind, the first idea would be to make noises like this. The thought that humanity is just now stumbling on this high pitched noise idea by accident is beyond stupid. It actually ruined the movie for me because I couldn't help but think the alien threat would have in reality been neutralized in about 2 days and the whole premise of the movie is broken because of it.

Oct 25, 2017
CinemaSins is trash because their disingenuous dreck is influencing a lot of people to watch films in the most tiresome, competitive way. And that's when their points are actually valid. They often are just wrong about what they say is a mistake because they clearly write their script as the movie is going along, and anything that makes them think at all is treated as a "mistake". They don't address it like "whoops, our bad, that actually does make sense. Take off a sin *dong*" later in the video. But all the people who only watch their video, and not the actual film in question, use their nonsense arguments against movies they've never seen when "discussing" (read: shitting on) movies online. Calling their work parasitic is too kind; they are a virus.

Someone else making a video to mock them isn't on the same level as their widespread, insincere money-grab disinformation campaign. "Aha! You claim to dislike CinemaSins, yet you linked a video using the same format as them. Gotcha!" as an argument is fucking insipid.

The idea that CinemaSins are somehow responsible for this perceived "cheapening" of film criticism is laughable. (The idea that film criticism ever was some proud bastion of impartiality or diligence is nonsense.)

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
When? I assumed it was just jokes when they regularly docked "points" for movies having studio logos before them.

I went more into it in my edit, but CinemaSins just comes across as a longer, dryer version of Honest Trailers and, more recently, Pitch Meeting.
There's a lot of critic about CinemaSins in the wild.
The main differnce between Cinema Sins and Honest Trailer is that HT never ever in a million years try to be anything but a joke.
The people behind CinemaSins have shown numerous times that they try to pass off as legitimate until someone point out how horrible their criticism are and then it's magically satire.