• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
A Christmas beta would suck. So many ppl travel, so many ppl work, with family, new consoles are being bought with cod and fortnite etc, the devs should hopefully be on Christmas break. why on earth would Christmas be a good time

formatnone

Oct 31, 2017
Lithuania
What i don't understand is that the builds they are showing are looking like really polished stuff, why the wait then, it's beta, of course there will be bugs that we will find, but it really looks solid build for a year or so.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
What i don't understand is that the builds they are showing are looking like really polished stuff, why the wait then, it's beta, of course there will be bugs that we will find, but it really looks solid build for a year or so.

Maybe some major network problems a la Driveclub? I'd imagine Sony would rather delay than risk that kind of start again, even if it's just a beta.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
First thing ima make in the beta is all of us, just waiting.......for the beta. Then we turn into dust because Thanos snapped.

Or maybe the beta releases and when you load it up it says "Error: Beta doesn't feel so good" then the application turns to dust and disappears off everyones Playstation.

Oct 25, 2017
A Christmas beta would suck. So many ppl travel, so many ppl work, with family, new consoles are being bought with cod and fortnite etc, the devs should hopefully be on Christmas break. why on earth would Christmas be a good time
I'd love a Christmas Beta - assuming it ran for at least a month to allow the community to build some interesting Dreams. Ideally, it should run through to release - which I'm hoping is ~Jan/Feb, with all beta content carried over.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow's MM tweet will decide if we have a stream next week or not.

oh and still waiting for the cake and pink carpet tweet still.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I believe if the beta doesn't drop by Friday, we won't get it before Xmas. It may drop the week after Xmas and before NYE, but they're not going to drop the beta and then go on holiday. They have to be around to triage gamebreaking stuff.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
VR should be scheduled to be out at launch unless otherwise. its the online mp that is planned post launch.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Will all of the creator tools be available in PS VR? Seems like the best way to model.

Not yet known as Mm haven't finalise the details but they have said that they intend for create to be supported and play if the creator marks it as VR ready and tested it in VR first.

Hopefully that ends up being everything in create mode and any VR ready game in play mode, with the obvious reduced thermo(s) due to extra processing needed for VR (maybe reduced "thing" count/memory thermo, sculpt complexity thermo and presumably no difference with logic and music thermo's). There may be a reduced resolution as well.

We don't know if/how Move controllers will be supported in VR play to act as virtual hands for example but I'm sure they're strongly considering it.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Aside from possible server scaling challenges, the Dreams engine is deterministic and heavily depends on supporting specific versions of all created assets (data versions) that match the code/engine version(s). I imagine that this versioning is changing regularly and they would want to get as close to the final release version as possible for the beta to: a) make it easier to convert beta content to be usable in the final release, b) avoid "you can't use this because it was made in the future" if they release beta updates and someone with an older beta tries to import or play anything from a later beta.

Oct 25, 2017
Game awards had over 26 million viewers wow can't believe all those ppl had eyes on dreams and learned about a beta.....
O wait

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
about to be 3 days of no tweets (not including replies) from MM. Yall, its happening.
they are avoiding us

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
work day is over at MM. We're 3 days no tweet. and 1 full day of no replies.

Its happening.
time to pack it up

s y

Nov 8, 2017
One if the devs was posting in the discord. Iirc he said they wouldn't disappoint again.

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah looking at the discord dude was answering ALL kinds of questions, confirmed my guess of having to animate faces like stop motion in a way.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing im interested in knowing about more is, since they're trying to market dreams as an engine, are games trapped in Dreams forever? Like sure, you can't really just put out a hastily made level and claim its a full retail game, but with all the grandiose stuff they're encouraging, thatd take a hell of a lot of work for a huge project to be trapped in a single game/program thats exclusive to one platform.

I just wanna know before I spend too much time on one thing that it's not gonna be like wasted effort

Jun 26, 2018
One thing im interested in knowing about more is, since they're trying to market dreams as an engine, are games trapped in Dreams forever? Like sure, you can't really just put out a hastily made level and claim its a full retail game, but with all the grandiose stuff they're encouraging, thatd take a hell of a lot of work for a huge project to be trapped in a single game/program thats exclusive to one platform.

I just wanna know before I spend too much time on one thing that it's not gonna be like wasted effort

It's still early, but I do believe they've mentioned they're open to the idea of working with talented creators to bring a Dreams game out of Dreams to be sold separately, the tech is there, but it's ultimately up to Sony.

In the end I wouldn't go in hoping to earn money on Dreams, if it happens that's great, but I just want to enjoy creating.

AmericanKirby

Aug 31, 2018
Inside your house

They've stated that there are no plans to bring Dreams to any non-Playstation platforms. IIRC someone mentioned a long time ago that they might eventually have a system in place to let particularly ambitious projects be exported to the PSN store, but don't expect anyone to be playing Dreams games on PC or Xbox any time soon.

And IMO it especially sucks since the moderation rules mean you can't release fangames or anything M-rated without worrying about the threat of your content being banhammered. None of this applies to animated films made in Dreams though, since you can just record them as video and release them on Youtube or whatever. Similar with music, still scenes/sculptures, etc.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's still early, but I do believe they've mentioned they're open to the idea of working with talented creators to bring a Dreams game out of Dreams to be sold separately, the tech is there, but it's ultimately up to Sony.

In the end I wouldn't go in hoping to earn money on Dreams, if it happens that's great, but I just want to enjoy creating.
Its less about money honestly and more about just wanting stuff worked hard on to be more easily accessible for people and those that dont have dreams.

They've stated that there are no plans to bring Dreams to any non-Playstation platforms. IIRC someone mentioned a long time ago that they might eventually have a system in place to let particularly ambitious projects be exported to the PSN store, but don't expect anyone to be playing Dreams games on PC or Xbox any time soon.

And IMO it especially sucks since the moderation rules mean you can't release fangames or anything M-rated without worrying about the threat of your content being banhammered. None of this applies to animated films made in Dreams though, since you can just record them as video and release them on Youtube or whatever. Similar with music, still scenes/sculptures, etc.
Oh, im not complaining about the exclusivity, in fact without it I doubt it'd still be coming. More just the coupling of its exclusivity AND creations only being in the app proper. Im 100% completely happy if they get a system for games to atleast be sold in a dedicated section on PSN

Though worried about how ambitious they mean there. The thing I wanna make is a decent length Yakuza kind of Open World game. Though probably over thinking since when i think ambition I think crunch and AAA games which most definitiely arent what they're thinking lol.

Hopefully by M-rated they refer to like really explicit violence or sex, and not like the concept of either existing. I can atleast tolerate a little toning down, but not allowing even blood to exist on screen would be dumb.

Also.... did not even think about the animated video route, which is a pretty neat if not really equivalent alternative in case theyre more strict than needed!

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Wait really? Which stream was that?

Sorry it wasn't a stream, it was the Q&A with Mark and Siobhan on the Game Informer Show.
https://www.gameinformer.com/video-...18/10/29/answering-dreams-lingering-questions

At 38:22 someone asks if they can port it to PC:
Siobhan: *laughter* I mean we've just gotta get this beta out this year!
Mark: *with a knowing nod* Yeah but, it's not beyond the realms of... *a couple of "yes" head nods*
Siobhan: Yes, that's a good question.. a good question *looking Mark's way* (obviously trying to cut Mark off from saying anything more)

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
I just noticed the bone chart has an off/on button at the bottom. I wonder why that is there?

DpUyT1LXcAAI_jO.jpg

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry it wasn't a stream, it was the Q&A with Mark and Siobhan on the Game Informer Show.
https://www.gameinformer.com/video-...18/10/29/answering-dreams-lingering-questions

At 38:22 someone asks if they can port it to PC:
Siobhan: *laughter* I mean we've just gotta get this beta out this year!
Mark: *with a knowing nod* Yeah but, it's not beyond the realms of... *a couple of "yes" head nods*
Siobhan: Yes, that's a good question.. a good question *looking Mark's way* (obviously trying to cut Mark off from saying anything more)
I think what would make a lot of sense is releasing the -creation- tools on PC & Mac, for a nominal price (say, $20 or $30). You would still need a PS4 to actually play the games themselves, but with a few export options to some major file formats as pure creation tools, that would imo make a heck of a lot of sense for creators and expanding the content base.

Status
Not open for further replies.