• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Is using a single Move controller an option when designing, or does it need to be two? If optional, is it more difficult with one? I've only got one, and was wondering if I'd have to use the DS4 instead.
youre going to need both as the secondary one one is the one that controls things like menu and whatnot. its required to have both.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is the beta build features complete? Like is there anything that is gonna be availabe in the full game but not in the beta?

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Oct 28, 2017
the more i see of this the more i get that Project Spark feeling about it where I'm sure there will be some great creators but it will be flooded with novelty tripe.
although what i saw of a dev stream today with neon levels and a snow level left me not wanting to see any more of it.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
If your model is symmetrical, you can cut it in half, clone one half, flip it over and it'll use a lot less thermo.

Is that why that impressive sculpt of the deep sea fish creature looked to have a seam running down the middle of it? Perhaps to get around thermo issues?

the more i see of this the more i get that Project Spark feeling about it where I'm sure there will be some great creators but it will be flooded with novelty tripe.
although what i saw of a dev stream today with neon levels and a snow level left me not wanting to see any more of it.

I'm not that familiar with Project Spark and what was possible with it. Did it have a tool set anything like what we've seen with Dreams, e.g. sculpting, logic, music, etc.? Did it allow people to use assets created by others?

What turned you off from what you saw on the dev stream? Remember the beta has only been going on for two weeks so I'd expect to see a lot of re-using of assets at this point.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
didn't projects spark you had to use the assets they provided? and the last i remember the scripting in that was like one of those modular type scriping?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
didn't projects spark you had to use the assets they provided? and the last i remember the scripting in that was like one of those modular type scriping?

Yeah, everything is pre made in project spark....
Dreams is superior in almost every other way, and contains many elements the Project Spark community wanted in Project Spark. First of all, you can make things. All of Project Sparks props are pre-made, and none were community made. (Although one was designed by a community member as a contest prize) The only way to make something "custom" was by combining pre-made assets.

This is a detailed comparsion and it sounds like Dreams is much better overall.
I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. First let's start with the pros for Project Spark: logic. Kode was more robust, allowing for a variety of custom variables. If they had included a proper array like some people wanted, it would have been just about indistinguishable from a high level framework. I'd say the most important aspect of the logic power of Project Spark was probably the ability to create pointers. Project Spark also had online multiplayer create and play. However, the multiplayer play set up was poor and difficult to use. Though not officially supported, it was possible to import images(and I believe movies in .gif form) on PC with Project Spark. And one last thing, you could sculpt and paint voxel terrain in play mode in Project Spark, not just edit mode.
Dreams is superior in almost every other way, and contains many elements the Project Spark community wanted in Project Spark. First of all, you can make things. All of Project Sparks props are pre-made, and none were community made. (Although one was designed by a community member as a contest prize) The only way to make something "custom" was by combining pre-made assets.
Music and sound in Project Spark was all prefab. You could import sound, but the quality was terrible.
You could animate characters to some degree in Project Spark, but it was generally a poor implementation, and most people didn't attempt it.
Cinematics and camera systems seem similar in both, although custom sculpted elements, custom sound, custom effects, and far superior puppetry in Dreams give it a distinct edge.
Vehicles didn't exist in Project Spark. You had to make your own completely from scratch. From what I've seen of LBP vehicles, Project Spark ones were generally poor in comparison. And this is coming from someone who made quite a few vehicles in Project Spark.
Things like connectors and hinges don't really exist in Project Spark. There were workarounds, but Dreams' implementation is far better.
Collaboration with Project Spark was difficult. You could create via multiplayer, but as anyone who has actually done this knows, you mostly end up getting in each others way. It's still a good way to conference and strategize. Sharing in Dreams is far superior. A massive issue with Project Spark compared to Dreams is that you had to publish an entire world in order to share ANYTHING, and then sometimes it could be difficult to successfully extract individual elements you wanted to use. Dreams collections and personas are also important innovations that Project Spark could have benefited from immensely.
One thing both have/had in common is a dedicated, informed, and enthusiastic community that wants to express itself, and help others in kind.
One last con for Project Spark... Although it was crossplatform, the community was somewhat divided along platform lines. Dreams has a minor taste of this in the PS4 Pro issue. One problem with crossplatform is that people with high end PCs would occasionally publish things that were totally unplayable on Xbox due to low framerate. There were other things that separated the platforms: it was mostly Xboxes that had Kinect and could therefore import audio and do custom animation. You could only import images on PC. Alternate collaboration and sharing forms emerged on PC due to the fairly portable nature of a level's files. Xbox users could not take advantage of that. You ended up with a situation where the absolutely best way to create in Project Spark was to use BOTH.

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh sure, there will be lots of novelty tripe, but this is no Project Spark. Here you create everything. Project Spark had tons of DLC assets. I am not sure what MM could release as DLC for Dreams.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
That video is old but I am not impressed, Dreams graphics are imo much more beautiful even though everything is self made.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Same here. Feel the exact same way. The games look really bad. Yeah there hasn't been enough time for creators to really dig deep but I don't even think the stuff media molecule has made for dream doesn't look that enticing either. I think the best time to get it would be years down the line. The game will be at a significant discount and creators would have tons of time to master plus there would be tons of things to download.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
Poking around trying to learn more about Project Spark, I happened upon a Youtube channel named LadylexUK who has several videos on accomplishing things in Spark. I think there may be many from that community that will want to create in Dreams. I'm looking forward to see what previous Project Spark creators are able to accomplish in Dreams.

I don't know how much of this if any would translate into creations in Dreams but I still find it fascinating.

LadylexUK Youtube Channel

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Same here. Feel the exact same way. The games look really bad. Yeah there hasn't been enough time for creators to really dig deep but I don't even think the stuff media molecule has made for dream doesn't look that enticing either. I think the best time to get it would be years down the line. The game will be at a significant discount and creators would have tons of time to master plus there would be tons of things to download.

When you say 'the game', which game are you talking about exactly? We've only seen a half a dozen games and those were made in 2 weeks or less. The games will play and look how the developer makes them play and look. Would you play a bad game made with Unreal and blame Unreal for that bad game, or would you blame the developer?

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I remember her video watching the Dreams trailer. Her speculation (and skepticism that what she was seeing would even be possible) kinda summarizes the whole comparison... people enjoyed PSpark despite its limitations. Dreams is PSpark without all those limitations in addition to powerful new interdisciplinary tools. It's a joke comparison. Does more to illustrate how much people don't know about Dreams. Especially when they act all clever, like no one has heard of Spark.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Well I've made and released my first game. It's terrible not sure you could even call it a game, its stupid but it makes me laugh and I don't care what people think(I hope a few people like it). I was just messing about and testing out ideas really. Its called Dont Sneeze! if anyones interested.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Both my move controllers are dead and won't hold a charge. Smh.

And I only have one of those old-ass USB cables from PS3-era. So can't even use them wired (which would be annoying w/ wires hanging off them but probably still better than DS4). *sigh*

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Both my move controllers are dead and won't hold a charge. Smh.

And I only have one of those old-ass USB cables from PS3-era. So can't even use them wired (which would be annoying w/ wires hanging off them but probably still better than DS4). *sigh*
Based on what you've mentioned your interests were in the past, I feel like you'd be using the DS4 most of the time anyway.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what you've mentioned your interests were in the past, I feel like you'd be using the DS4 most of the time anyway.
Yeah, hopefully. I was thinking moves would probably be preferred while doing animation (especially keyframe) for posing and such. Man, so close now. Kinda bummed to miss out on the robot jam. Fun theme. I always liked drawing robots.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I think most os them looks really good. There are some simple levels, but it's really easy to use the tools and make some good looking games.
We've seen some gorgeous shots from Media Molecule. I'm sure we'll see some gorgeous games from the community.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I think they should be thinking about themes for jams that might benefit the community more, in terms of seeding dreamiverse with content that has utility. So for example we see a lot of these games are being built around the simple pre-fab default characters, or slightly modified puppet. They should do a jam that's like "Adventure Character" or something, so some of these games can benefit from more interesting PCs. Or whatever topic, but you get my point.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
someone animated a t-rex. got the motion sensor to move its head and such. got really good movement on it.

I think they should be thinking about themes for jams that might benefit the community more, in terms of seeding dreamiverse with content that has utility. So for example we see a lot of these games are being built around the simple pre-fab default characters, or slightly modified puppet. They should do a jam that's like "Adventure Character" or something, so some of these games can benefit from more interesting PCs. Or whatever topic, but you get my point.
it might just be beta and they are just testing out the jam feature and just doing simple stuff to build dreamiverse. im sure with feedback they will change over time.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017

As I suggested, have simpler weekly jams leading to a big monthly jam. Each weekly jam would be themed around the coming monthly jam. Week 1 (spooky music and spooky sound effects), week 2 (rickety old furniture and fittings), week 3 (scary characters or scenes) Week 4 (make scary special effects), monthly event (make horror game)

As that month begins, the next weekly tasks also begin. People would have a whole month to make something substantial, sped up because a lot of the assets would have been made, giving them able time to also make weekly assets for the next months jam.

It's a win win all around. We get lots more assets, and themed, and MM get plenty of content to promote Dreams.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
As I suggested, have simpler weekly jams leading to a big monthly jam. Each weekly jam would be themed around the coming monthly jam. Week 1 (spooky music and spooky sound effects), week 2 (rickety old furniture and fittings), week 3 (scary characters or scenes) Week 4, the monthly jam (make horror game)
Yeah I liked that suggestion when I read it but forgot to comment -- feel like I post in this thread too much lol.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think they should be thinking about themes for jams...

I suspect they will create events, I almost want to say I though I heard them say just that in one of the earlier livestreams. I already know there are a ton of amatuer creators like myself that have sizable shelf of game ideas we haven't been able to really explore until now. I only wish I could import my lo poly work from Maya and ZBrush and modo stuff

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah I liked that suggestion when I read it but forgot to comment -- feel like I post in this thread too much lol.

I made a couple of edits because I realised the monthly jam would be at the very end of the month leading into the following month. We have 4 main catagories: Music, special effects, scene assets and characters. This HAS to be done, it's just too obvious and benefits everyone, including MM.

It would lead to an exponential growth in quality games.

edit: I've sent the idea directly the Alex.

Last edited:

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I put quite a bit of time into Project Spark (on PC at that), and I'll say right now Dreams has impressed me far, FAR more than Project Spark ever did, both in terms of tools and player made content.

And it's only been available as a beta for a couple weeks to a pretty small group of people.

It's barely even comparable tbh.

Keduko

Jan 10, 2019
lol, after the 2nd one its like a different game. i wonder if they got others to work on it because visually they seem to be different but still connected. at least the first 3 i tried

Nope, everything is done by myself. This level is literally my little playground for ideas I have during the beta period, so that's why all the passages differ from each other :D

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Nope, everything is done by myself. This level is literally my little playground for ideas I have during the beta period, so that's why all the passages differ from each other :D

I've noticed that all levels are separate and that you can play any level first. I'm not specifically talking about your creations, just in general. I haven't done anything significant myself, just a few sculpts the community may want to use (thermo munchers). Isn't the level map in the beta version? I recall watching MM explain that you can place your levels into this map and then link them via wires to other sections of your level, or even a side level. I really hope this isn't the format they're going for because games shouldn't be called Flicktrip part 1, part 2, part 2, they should just be called Flicktrip and we shouldn't be able to access each one separately. For me that was the whole point of Dreams: To be able to 'add' levels or more gameplay post release and slowly build on an idea. I thought that was the whole point in being able to save progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.