• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Swore to myself I'd only spend a little time today, but still burned a lot of time. Only one more weekend then i'll get my life back.

It's not even that productive, a lot of time is bouncing in and out trying adjustments on things to see if they work. When the proper game is out or when they have an open beta so we ca talk stuff through will be so much better.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Swore to myself I'd only spend a little time today, but still burned a lot of time. Only one more weekend then i'll get my life back.

It's not even that productive, a lot of time is bouncing in and out trying adjustments on things to see if they work. When the proper game is out or when they have an open beta so we ca talk stuff through will be so much better.

Yeah, I'm not to concerned with building things. I'm just going to mess around try and learn as much as I can and find bugs and try and give them as much as feedback as I can.

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I'd gotten into the Beta in December. Barely had any time with it before being back at work.

Still, I'm enjoying just going through the Tutorials. :) Hopefully will get time to build->publish something.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Someone made a 2001: a space odyssey dream. Has the chimps and then the astronauts on the moon looking at the monolith.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So I remade the harbor studio apartment from playstation home and I dont think I've ever felt so satisfied with something in my life. This game is going to consume my life when it releases lol.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
So I remade the harbor studio apartment from playstation home and I dont think I've ever felt so satisfied with something in my life. This game is going to consume my life when it releases lol.

Dang, someone should make a spooky Dream that takes place in the abandoned old PlayStation Home locations. My first thought was someone should remake PlayStation Home, but without the multiplayer, it would be a vain--and I think somewhat eerie--replica. So why not run with that?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The move control is reaally hard and uncomfortable to me. Is there a way to pick an object and just rotate around it without it panning or tilting because there's no way my wrist movement can rotate in a perfectly smooth motion. So far, navigating the menu etc felt much better using dualshock 4. I haven't tried sculpting though.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Anyone played 'Meet The Molecules'? Things are just getting better and I really need to get to grips with this bloody thing. Talk about mixed feelings.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone played 'Meet The Molecules'? Things are just getting better and I really need to get to grips with this bloody thing. Talk about mixed feelings.

Yeah...I spent about three hours tonight just trying to get some basic shapes dialed in for a puppet; it's fun but disheartening to see other people's creations because they're inexplicably so far ahead.

I think I'm going to ignore the jams from now on, they just stress me out and I never have time to finish one. A week is too short for me, so I'll just work on my own stuff.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah...I spent about three hours tonight just trying to get some basic shapes dialed in for a puppet; it's fun but disheartening to see other people's creations because they're inexplicably so far ahead.

I think I'm going to ignore the jams from now on, they just stress me out and I never have time to finish one. A week is too short for me, so I'll just work on my own stuff.

Yeah, I haven't even attempted a jam yet. I think I just need to take my time and not feel the pressure of a ticking beta clock. That's probably at the heart of my fractious behaviour when it comes to Dreams. One minute I'm up and the next minute 'it's the worse thing ever!' I'm still making the occasional asset and compiling three collections of my favourite stuff but I'm not pushing myself any more. It's counterproductive for me, and when I think about anything creative I've done, always has been.

Stampy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I haven't even attempted a jam yet. I think I just need to take my time and not feel the pressure of a ticking beta clock. That's probably at the heart of my fractious behaviour when it comes to Dreams. One minute I'm up and the next minute 'it's the worse thing ever!' I'm still making the occasional asset and compiling three collections of my favourite stuff but I'm not pushing myself any more. It's counterproductive for me, and when I think about anything creative I've done, always has been.

Dreams is hard for me to pull off. Like Dark Souls hard. Not because it is a hard tool to use, because it is not, it's rather simplified and easy once you get the hang of it. But the time commitment that is needed is so, so much higher than LBP. So much to do and so little time. I have an idea, but to realize it I would have to put hours and hours into it, but since I have a little baby and a wife who is not that fond of me playing the game for hours, I am really stuck. Creating for an hour or two is really nothing in this game, that's just enough to get your creative juices warm and flowing. You literally have to waste countless hours to make something remotely meaningful. Which I would be more than glad to do, but life, man. When the game comes out, I think I'm just going to resort to playing other people's creations and enjoy the game without the need to create a mega super awesome Dream, because it's a rabbit hole of frustrations and family tensions. I will write a book in my free time to satiate my creative needs, and I will use Dreams for fooling around with other people's creations and just have a good time in the game. After experiencing beta, I have concluded that I have no interest in starting a serious, well-developed project in this game. I have no idea how I would fit it into my life schedule. It's really a shame this game didn't come out like 10 years earlier. :D In a way this realization hurts really, really bad, because I was waiting so long for this game and I was really pumped for it, but I guess I will get over it, somehow, I don't know... :/

Last edited:

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
did they say the beta would stop at some point?

I have the feeling if they do, it would take another 6 months for the game to release after beta is over.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
The move control is reaally hard and uncomfortable to me. Is there a way to pick an object and just rotate around it without it panning or tilting because there's no way my wrist movement can rotate in a perfectly smooth motion. So far, navigating the menu etc felt much better using dualshock 4. I haven't tried sculpting though.

The move controllers were such a mind fuck for me that after an hour or so I had to go lie down and have a nap. I could feel my brain straining. Even when doing the tutorial, the whole scene ended up upside down and I couldn't figure out how to move. It was a lot like trying to do something while looking in a mirror, instead of looking a the object itself.
After having a break I think that I adjusted to it somewhat. You have to think about it like you are holding a wrench (or I heard someone describe it as holding tongs). You grab and object (or the whole world) at the tip of the controller (where the glowing ball of the move is) and then you twist it, you let it go, grab it again and twist it again. Think of them as tongs that can move anything. You also grab things and move the whole controller sideways, to push it to your side.

After a day or two I was really feeling at home with them. And now I don't even touch the ds4 unless it's to control a puppet. The learning curve was steep but really worth it.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Dreams is hard for me to pull off. Like Dark Souls hard. Not because it is a hard tool to use, because it is not, it's rather simplified and easy once you get the hang of it. But the time commitment that is needed is so, so much higher than LBP. So much to do and so little time. I have an idea, but to realize it I would have to put hours and hours into it, but since I have a little baby and a wife who is not that fond of me playing the game for hours, I am really stuck. Creating for an hour or two is really nothing in this game, that's just enough to get your creative juices warm and flowing. You literally have to waste countless hours to make something remotely meaningful. Which I would be more than glad to do, but life, man. When the game comes out, I think I'm just going to resort to playing other people's creations and enjoy the game without the need to create a mega super awesome Dream, because it's a rabbit hole of frustrations and family tensions. I will write a book in my free time to satiate my creative needs, and I will use Dreams for fooling around with other people's creations and just have a good time in the game. After experiencing beta, I have concluded that I have no interest in starting a serious, well-developed project in this game. I have no idea how I would fit it into my life schedule. It's really a shame this game didn't come out like 10 years earlier. :D In a way this realization hurts really, really bad, because I was waiting so long for this game and I was really pumped for it, but I guess I will get over it, somehow, I don't know... :/

I'm in the same boat time wise, but my plan is to create (very) small games only and even then it might take me half a year or more to finish it.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah it's not a game, it's more of a hobby.
I'm pretty happy making little bits and pieces, like sketches. People going into this expecting to make a full blown game in a matter of hours are just going to set themselves up for failure. Find an aspect you like and have fun with that. Today I tried audio for the first time and it was neat I could see from looking st the options though that the audio tools alone could be their own hobby. You can do surround sound mixing ffs.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat time wise, but my plan is to create (very) small games only and even then it might take me half a year or more to finish it.

Same. Take a simple mechanic that I'm fond of and familiar with, and build something basic around it. Even then there are some seemingly simple things that still mess with my head

Is it worth checking out any LBP 'how to' videos to get my head around things like emitters and angles?

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a frustrating time with Dreams when I tried to do everything myself and I was starting from scratch essentially.

But I took a little break. Came back. Started over. And this time I just took the stuff that's already out there and putting them together to make something new and different.

So my suggestion would be to take a break from your current projects. Start a new one, take someone's puppet, start searching for environment sculpts and get going on making something.

Essentially try easy mode.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
forum is still a good way to get help. some of basic stuff are asked so you can probably find it there. hopefully once nda is up we'll be good to talk because i don't want to rely on that forum.

anyways.
good luck to everyone about to not receive codes from sony today.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope I get in today. I'm sort of reluctant to buy it without having a good session with it first. The only reason I say reluctant is because of the limited time I would have with the full release. Fingers crossed and all that!

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
hopefully once nda is up we'll be good to talk because i don't want to rely on that forum.
The NDA won't expire when the beta ends, it'll still be in effect. We won't be able to share or discuss any of it going forward unless they specifically say so (and I can't see why they would). I'm not sure we'd still have access to that forum, either.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The NDA won't expire when the beta ends, it'll still be in effect. We won't be able to share or discuss any of it going forward unless they specifically say so (and I can't see why they would). I'm not sure we'd still have access to that forum, either.

But what would happen if you broke it after you already don't have access to the game?

OP
OP
dobahking91

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
MeLukbk.gif

So much impressive stuff already :O

Let me in MM :(

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Dreams will probably take over most of my gaming hobby once it's out. I try to kid myself and say I am only playing this much because it's going away on the 21st. :) This weekend I mostly played other people's stuff, did a lot in the audio tools - updated and posted my Halloween Theme (inspired by another Dreamer's Halloween opening scene), an old school hip hop loop, and an orchestral piece I am trying (totally new to me).

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i know. i mean they they sai we are able to talk. which probably will be the next beta only because all the feedback/bug reports doing now will have to be tested again. at least i hope so.

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats new Dreamers!! :) Please rate and play the Community Jams, you only have a few hours until votes are tallied. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.