• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I know this isn't a popular thought around here but if Media Molecule is going to leave it up to the creators to sell their product, i can see this struggling to find a big audience. LBP sold well mostly due to the characters, the vibe, the novelty and the single player content that Media Molecule made, with creation and creator content as an added bonus. That's the reason why i, as a non creator, bought every LBP game in the first place.

We don't know yet how big the single player campaign will be but there have been rumours of a short, 3 hour-ish, campaign? I wonder how many non creators are going to be prepared to pay full price (assuming it will be full price, which we don't know yet) for such a short game. Especially since it will take more time for good creator content to appear due to the more complex tools in Dreams. Non creators will shelve the game and move on to something new.

Don't get me wrong. I love Media Molecule and have bought every game they have made so far. I'm just wondering how they are going to sell Dreams to the big public, assuming that the biggest part of gamers will never create something and mostly consume content. I feel Dreams needs a big "game" part out of the box if they want to attract a big audience. As a potential buyer with no plans to create myself, i hoped Dreams would be an amazing/fun/fresh/imaginative game (similar to most of Media Molecule's other games) with the added bonus of content creation. Selling it primarily as a games engine and relying on creators to make the game part, seems risky.

I think you're underestimating what people will create with this. What people have already created with this within the confines of a relatively short beta period. All the game needs is some really cool/funny/exciting Dreams to make waves, and given that it's the first and biggest Mm game to hit during the era of streaming, I'm sure it will get on fine.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
I know this isn't a popular thought around here but if Media Molecule is going to leave it up to the creators to sell their product, i can see this struggling to find a big audience. LBP sold well mostly due to the characters, the vibe, the novelty and the single player content that Media Molecule made, with creation and creator content as an added bonus. That's the reason why i, as a non creator, bought every LBP game in the first place.

We don't know yet how big the single player campaign will be but there have been rumours of a short, 3 hour-ish, campaign? I wonder how many non creators are going to be prepared to pay full price (assuming it will be full price, which we don't know yet) for such a short game. Especially since it will take more time for good creator content to appear due to the more complex tools in Dreams. Non creators will shelve the game and move on to something new.

Don't get me wrong. I love Media Molecule and have bought every game they have made so far. I'm just wondering how they are going to sell Dreams to the big public, assuming that the biggest part of gamers will never create something and mostly consume content. I feel Dreams needs a big "game" part out of the box if they want to attract a big audience. As a potential buyer with no plans to create myself, i hoped Dreams would be an amazing/fun/fresh/imaginative game (similar to most of Media Molecule's other games) with the added bonus of content creation. Selling it primarily as a games engine and relying on creators to make the game part, seems risky.

Are you in the beta? If you aren't right now and you get in soon, check out the content and reconsider your points.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Again, no code for me. I guess I'm done at this point. I'm just tired of waiting for nothing. Hope y'all enjoy beta anyway.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like it's just a natural outcome of their vision. It's been no secret that the greater part of making Dreams was making the creation tools, since they have to rely entire on them to create their game content rather than any internal dev tools. They can either hold back the release for 8 months, and I believe that's a generous estimate, to build an expansive 8 hour+ experience with what is essentially final, releasable code or get it in players' hands to get that flow of content creation going. There's almost no doubt that Media Molecule couldn't match even 1/10 of the community output once people get experienced with the tools, just by sheer numbers. And I do mean only counting quality content.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's just a natural outcome of their vision. It's been no secret that the greater part of making Dreams was making the creation tools, since they have to rely entire on them to create their game content rather than any internal dev tools. They can either hold back the release for 8 months, and I believe that's a generous estimate, to build an expansive 8 hour+ experience with what is essentially final, releasable code or get it in players' hands to get that flow of content creation going. There's almost no doubt that Media Molecule couldn't match even 1/10 of the community output once people get experienced with the tools, just by sheer numbers. And I do mean only counting quality content.

I assume this will be a GaaS. So I hope Mm continues to provide their own content for us to play so the day one 'on disc' content wont reflect the full content - a bit like GT Sport is doing now

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Can you recommend any content/creators to check out?

That one is easy. I've been putting some collections together but unlike other people, I've been very very picky. Just check my channel out if you get in. My collection is in no way 'the best' of course, and only represents what I consider the cream of the crop in terms of art and concept. I just think you're likely to at least see something that will blow your mind there, taking the time frame for these creations into consideration. They're wonderful. Start with Blue Marble Adventure.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
That one is easy. I've been putting some collections together but unlike other people, I've been very very picky. Just check my channel out if you get in. My collection is in no way 'the best' of course, and only represents what I consider the cream of the crop in terms of art and concept. I just think you're likely to at least see something that will blow your mind there, taking the time frame for these creations into consideration. They're wonderful. Start with Blue Marble Adventure.

Do we just search for LoudMouse?

kingkenny76

Oct 31, 2017
That one is easy. I've been putting some collections together but unlike other people, I've been very very picky. Just check my channel out if you get in. My collection is in no way 'the best' of course, and only represents what I consider the cream of the crop in terms of art and concept. I just think you're likely to at least see something that will blow your mind there, taking the time frame for these creations into consideration. They're wonderful.
Great Thanks. Is your PSN name the same?
I'm in the beta still playing through the tutorials but the tools are amazing so far.

Remf

Oct 29, 2017
a few more hours leading up to great disappointment. but dont give up hopes. if not today. next week

Haha! Yep! Even if I don't get in, I do appreciate you all that are in the beta who are posting in here. It's good to see that the community will hopefully be strong at launch and the details you all are providing ( without getting in trouble of course) are exciting to read.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
For those just getting codes and want to freely browse everything, ignore Dream Surfing and go to Create mode. There you'll find everything created AND put into categories such animation, characters, games etc.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* Nothing. Again.

Guess I'll have to fucking wait til fucking Wednesday.

And watch me not get one then, either.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Well I got annoying irl work stuff done... now the whole weekend for dreams.

I'm a little annoyed that I can't figure out some of this animation stuff. I've been really struggling with understanding the basic rules. Like, why sometimes elements in my keyframes will be stuck (as if referencing edits made to past keyframes) on my timeline despite making every effort to isolate the current keyframe I'm working with. And why does it only happen randomly? I can create 4 - 5 frames without issue, but then suddenly in the next frames I cannot move elements because they're behaving as if there's a positional conflict. An hour or two into an animation timeline and I basically have to scrap it, because the model I'm trying to animate becomes stuck/janked/unresponsive seemingly randomly. I really need to figure this out. I've published very little because of these issues. And I really love animation and think it's something I'm good at. I would love to remix some of these popular characters on dreamiverse with cool attacks, poses, jumps, etc... but it's one step forward two steps back atm.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Well got annoying work stuff done... now the whole weekend for dreams.

I'm a little annoyed that I can't figure out some of this animation stuff. I've been really struggling with understanding the basic rules. Like, why sometimes elements in my keyframes will be stuck (as if referencing edits made to past keyframes) on my timeline despite making every effort to isolate the current keyframe I'm working with. And why does it only happen randomly? I can create 4 - 5 frames without issue, but then suddenly in the next frames I cannot move elements because they're behaving as if there's a positional conflict. An hour or two into an animation timeline and I basically have to scrap it, because the model I'm trying to animate becomes stuck/janked/unresponsive seemingly randomly. I really need to figure this out. I've published very little because of these issues. And I really love animation and think it's something I'm good at. I would live to remix some of these popular characters on dreamiverse wity cool attacks, poses, jumps, etc... but it's one step forward two steps back atm.
are you talking about just puppet animation? yeah. i had that issue when i was first trying to animate stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a code! Check your inboxes!!!

giphy.gif

Live well in my stead...

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
are you talking about just puppet animation? yeah. i had that issue when i was first trying to animate stuff.
I started with character gameplay animation. Basically nesting keyframes into the puppet logic. Only to realize I don't really have the logic chops to isolate these contextually layered animations. It's a little embarrassing but I guess I need a refresher on boolean. So I switched to animating characters on timelines. No logic to consider. But even then I'm having weirdness. Idk. I'm going to keep messing with it, hoping a "Oh that's how it works" light bulb goes off soon.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I got in!

US account. Usually never get any promotional emails from Sony (Platinumed God of War but still didn't receive the free avatar) so I got to say I'm surprised to get in the beta.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
I started with character gameplay animation. Basically nesting keyframes into the puppet logic. Only to realize I don't really have the logic chops to isolate these contextually layered animations. It's a little embarrassing but I guess I need a refresher on boolean. So I switched to animating characters on timelines. No logic to consider. But even then I'm having weirdness. Idk. I'm going to keep messing with it, hoping a "Oh that's how it works" light bulb goes off soon.

It's why I gave up on it. I have absolutely no experience with animating. I just sensed a lack of structure as I was progressing, as if the game suddenly said 'nope, not this time'.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt there's a correlation here, but has anyone received a code for this who also never gets those discount coupons from the Playstation newsletter?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.