• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
A "Beta highlights" video has been released on the Playstation youtube channels.
Kudos to those that are featured :)

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I've pretty much planned out and designed 95% of my next Dream now, so I'm ready to go as soon as I regain access. I just hope it releases by early April at the latest.

My new Dream will be a split-screen multiplayer sword fighting game, inspired by Mount and Blade; I expect it to be pretty unique in the Dreamiverse. I do need to make a few updates and additions to my Duck Quack minigame, before starting on the new one. What kinds of things does everyone else plan to make next?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
More footage from IGN for the early access build of Dreams:

https://youtu.be/N6XV5N4ZQJY

All this marketing already for early access, I feel like they might either release the week of Pax or right after.

I love the search function, type in tree and soo many different trees are coming :D

At the beginning I will search for lots of different things and when nothing comes, I try to make it.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
they redid some stuff. the beginning area didn't look this detailed.

40185504743_8036ace16f_h.jpg

More footage from IGN for the early access build of Dreams:

https://youtu.be/N6XV5N4ZQJY

All this marketing already for early access, I feel like they might either release the week of Pax or right after.
gonna go with a week before pax. just in case they decide to go offscript and show off user created content then.

also i didn't look at description and saw how fast the creation was going and went yep that's Kareem lol

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
My new Dream will be a split-screen multiplayer sword fighting game, inspired by Mount and Blade; I expect it to be pretty unique in the Dreamiverse. I do need to make a few updates and additions to my Duck Quack minigame, before starting on the new one. What kinds of things does everyone else plan to make next?
I hate to be the one to break it to you but there is no split screen support (yet, not sure if planned). Maybe think about an alternate design (both on screen in same camera view or online multiplayer only). Good luck, sounds interesting!

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I hate to be the one to break it to you but there is no split screen support (yet, not sure if planned). Maybe think about an alternate design (both on screen in same camera view or online multiplayer only). Good luck, sounds interesting!
Don't worry, I'm well aware of that limitation :p

Basically, my system will work with the two sides of the screen being used to fake two first person views, with puppets ahead to duplicate each player's actions on the opposite side. I'm not allowing direct camera control, but I will be simulating forwards and backwards movement, which can be faked by separating the ground into two sides and moving them independently.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

Someone did actually make a Dream for that, its kind of janky but there method does work.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Here's an interesting video from Naughty Dog at GDC, regarding how they designed the mechanics for the 4x4 in Uncharted 4. Some of this could be applied in Dreams. There's a good method for car pathfinding AI, which takes into account the turning radius of the vehicle by using two circular detection zones.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Here's an interesting video from Naughty Dog at GDC, regarding how they designed the mechanics for the 4x4 in Uncharted 4. Some of this could be applied in Dreams. There's a good method for car pathfinding AI, which takes into account the turning radius of the vehicle by using two circular detection zones.

I've been binging GDC talks lately. They're a great resource in general and can be really interesting in their own right. I've also been wondering about the process for creating vehicles in Dreams. I'm sure this is more advanced than the stuff I've been thinking about, but I can't wait to watch it anyway. Thanks!

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
There's some new info regarding templates in this Gamesradar article: https://www.gamesradar.com/the-next...w-media-molecule-is-empowering-new-gamemakers
And to make game creation even easier the Alpha, releasing in Spring 2019, will be adding Templates. These, according to Healy, are "a starting point for a certain genre of games. So we've got a first-person shooter template, for example. It's just like a very simple white boxed version of a shooter. So you take that and you can instantly start putting your own art in and you don't have to worry about 'how do I make a first person shooter?' We've done it for a first person shooter, there's a 2D side scrolling platformer, there's a whole bunch of really obvious genres, driving a car, different things [like that]."

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
That's really great. I think a lot of players who haven't done any game dev or programming before will feel overwhelmed, so providing a base gametype starting point is brilliant.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping they'd do stuff like this... especially little logic bombs you can plug into stuff. Like A.I. logic, for example. This is standard basic AI for (whatever enemy type), etc...

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
its that time again for #Trainjam2019

can't wait for another timelapse and almost seeing someone spill hot coffee on the ps4 ;P

EDGE covers Dreams

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
pretty sure none of these templates will help me aside from drilling into them to see how they work for my own projects.

Still this is a great thing to get people started.

Likely the average quality we'll see emerging from Dreams will be better than on LBP. Everything is just darn easy if you keep it simple.

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
2432 Music Creations...I'm assuming this is counting anything put into the Music category (which can include instruments, collections, music videos), but if the majority of that is full songs that is pretty impressive.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
If your going as stir-crazy as I am waiting for Dreams, then tune in to the SXSW Awards Show, in 5 hours 20 min from this post:

I highly doubt we'll be getting any new info (or an early access date), but I can never say no to more Dreams!

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of firm release dates for even the early access program must be driving Sony marketing a bit mad (maybe almost as much as us). Marketing campaigns are usually started months in advance of launch.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
The lack of firm release dates for even the early access program must be driving Sony marketing a bit mad (maybe almost as much as us). Marketing campaigns are usually started months in advance of launch.
Early access is more of a soft launch for hardcore fans. They'll be saving the marketing for the full release.

Sony is probably a lot more clued-in than us for the real release dates.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is probably a lot more clued-in than us for the real release dates.

Generally yes, but it really depends on the particular title and development process.
In a case like this, they may have a general timeframe and already doing planning and concepting, but if the dev team is full steam ahead on development then it can be hard to finish up the marketing due to lack of access to game materials, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Something is up with their broadcast because I saw a clip of them doing something earlier (see broadcast archive) so Idk if SXSW / Twitch messed things up or if it was technically before 5PST (7CDT)?

EDIT - maybe that was rehearsal? Mm themselves said "stay tuned" or whatever on their Twitter only about 20 minutes ago

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't find an archive either on Mm or SXSW. Saw a tiny, badly filmed from the stage output of what they did during the awards - I guess the red panda cowboy is what they created on the pre-show which I can't find.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Couldn't find an archive either on Mm or SXSW. Saw a tiny, badly filmed from the stage output of what they did during the awards - I guess the red panda cowboy is what they created on the pre-show which I can't find.

Saw a bit from the show and that red panda cowboy trailer was not good imo and the crowd reaction was very quiet...

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I've just been looking at the GDC schedule for Wednesday (20th March). There's going to be a musical performance between 12:10-12:30 PDT (7:10pm onwards UK time). This will be like the E3 Dreams performance, although I'm uncertain if it'll be streamed: https://schedule.gdconf.com/session...865033?_mc=blog_x_gdcsfr_le_x_gdcsf_x_x-GDC19

After this, at 12:30-13:30 PDT, Siobhan will be one of 3 speakers (with Sean Murray and Laralyn McWilliams). Naturally, Siobhan and Sean will be talking about Dreams and No Man's Sky, respectively. This is definitely planned to be streamed on the GDC Twitch channel: https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/gdc-main-stage-the-developers-journey/865034

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They really don't know how to market this.

for panel type stuff they have limited time but need/want to do audience participation, they default to 'make interesting character with traits shouted out from the audience'. Which is perhaps all that is reasonable in 30-60 mins. I'd prefer they maybe showed some user generated levels to showcase the diversity of experiences that can be created - leverage the beta output.

Status
Not open for further replies.