• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
dobahking91

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
TlpEK51.gif

mMVrt5D.gif

So beautiful.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Prettt sure they'll have some filter to make it look cellshaded or something. You can also deactivate the sun and because of that everything will be uniformly lit and might make it look more 2d. See tweet from alex with a similar question: https://twitter.com/mmalex/status/940381014819590144
Damn, I want to remake the newest Garou fight in the One Punch man. I haven't done any 3d modeling but they way these guys make creation seem so easy I think I can do it.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
You can make everything look flat...
There is a pixelise video filter...
There is a scanline video filter...

I guess we can make new retro games from scratch like that!

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's from June, but first time I've seen it. watching timelapse of someone working on Dreams will be neat

I have never actually seen this video but its amazing to see and actually something I mentioned about selling Dreams to the public at large. Just give it to creative types even those not in the videogame field and just let them make what they want. I also think getting this into the hands of students would do very well for it.

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the level creation process would work as smoothly with a normal DS4 controller.

Also wow at the guy who made that garden environment in under 5 minutes. The way some people are able to easily visualise things is just incredible to me. I can't wait to see what other creators out there are able to make with these tools. The level creator looks insane.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to get my hands on it... might try my hand at asset creation, music creation... maybe even level creation since it looks relatively easy.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the level creation process would work as smoothly with a normal DS4 controller.

Also wow at the guy who made that garden environment in under 5 minutes. The way some people are able to easily visualise things is just incredible to me. I can't wait to see what other creators out there are able to make with these tools. The level creator looks insane.
Everything at PSX has been done on the DS4

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definetly buying this game purely to play other peoples levels/dreams for my artistic skills is that of a frog.

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017
Everything at PSX was done using the DS4 and MediaMolecule has tweeted saying almost all of their level designers use the dualshock exclusively.
I've seen most things done with a ds4, pretty sure that's how it's supposed to be played. Only time I've seen moves used is for sculpting.
Everything at PSX has been done on the DS4

I don't have a move controller so that's great news. I think I might actually try my hands at creating a level this time round. It looks really fun.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Definetly buying this game purely to play other peoples levels/dreams for my artistic skills is that of a frog.

Back in the day, I got into Little Big Planet with the intent of making all sorts of stuff. And that didn't work out too well. I found my place floating around different people's levels through Little Big Planet 1 and 2. It's really incredible what people make and there's a lot of it.

From the looks of things getting from level to level will be easier and dreams. That's great because if there was one thing that could be improved in the Little Big Planet exploration experience it was the load times between levels. Those load times could be long but otherwise I was in heaven.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the day, I got into Little Big Planet with the intent of making all sorts of stuff. And that didn't work out too well. I found my place floating around different people's levels through Little Big Planet 1 and 2. It's really incredible what people make and there's a lot of it.

From the looks of things getting from level to level will be easier and dreams. That's great because if there was one thing that could be improved in the Little Big Planet exploration experience it was the load times between levels. Those low times could be long but otherwise I was in heaven.

Yeah, I think I screwed around with a LBP level for a while and bounced off pretty hard. I also didn't really care about the campaign or the focus on multiplayer. I still don't know if I'll care about the SP campaign in Dreams--nothing I saw really excited me--but I think I'll be sinking some heavy time into it as a creative tool.

Zoyos

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Having seen this game in person at PSX, from a creative view this was the next step forward that I always wanted LBP to take. Not only is there a greater depth in the creation tools, but there also stands an unmatched ease of development. From the level space, to the music creation, down to the logic system . . . everything has a whole other dimension (or two) of capabilities that wasn't there before.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I like that you can just go in and do one thing in Dreams compared to LBP. I don't have to create a whole level; I can just make a gameplay mechanic that then can be used by more creative individuals or I can take someone's really cool looking sculpture and just animate it.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm my initial dream may take awhile think I'll make smaller ones while simultaneously making the backgrounds,characters etc for the big one

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but this thread doesn't tell me everything I need to know about Dreams. Like, for example, how I'm possibly going to maintain any sort of proper work-life balance once this releases and exactly how long I have until that happens.

DrJackson

Oct 29, 2017
My daughter is a single child and loves playing by herself with animals and dolls and making up her own stories. If she can easily grasp the creation tools here she will have an endless play pin only limited by her imagination.

Yeah, this is key. From what we've seen so far, at least the basic tools seems quite intuitive. My 6-year old loves the worldbuilding part in Minecraft, in which he unleashes the strangest characters and stories. I personally can't stand the artstyle and graphics in Minecraft, and I quickly get bored looking at it, but Dreams looks right up my alley. So I will really encourage him to try it :)

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yeah, this is key. From what we've seen so far, at least the basic tools seems quite intuitive. My 6-year old loves the worldbuilding part in Minecraft, in which he unleashes the strangest characters and stories. I personally can't stand the artstyle and graphics in Minecraft, and I quickly get bored looking at it, but Dreams looks right up my alley. So I will really encourage him to try it :)
Yeah same here, i really appreciate what Minecraft is for kids but just couldn't stand playing with the ugly textures and blocky look. My daughter played Deagon Quest Builders and said it looked much better as well.

Still nothing is coming like Dreams. I hope it captures a nice big community at least as big as LBP.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
it's from June, but first time I've seen it. watching timelapse of someone working on Dreams will be neat

I've seen this before, but it just occurred to me how strange it is that she never once changes the perspective, not even when working on the details that are half off-screen or occluded by the robot. Is it "faked" in the sense that she did move the camera around when modelling and the fixed perspective was just recorded separately for the video?

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
I've seen this before, but it just occurred to me how strange it is that she never once changes the perspective, not even when working on the details that are half off-screen or occluded by the robot. Is it "faked" in the sense that she did move the camera around when modelling and the fixed perspective was just recorded separately for the video?

Yeah, it is a bit strange, isn't it. I genuinely think she made it but, like you said, she doesn't once change the perspective. At first I thought it was just because she was mirroring what she was doing this side but the far side is different, so it can't be that. I wonder if we can view it from any angle in some kind of 'spectator' mode?

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it is a bit strange, isn't it. I genuinely think she made it but, like you said, she doesn't once change the perspective. At first I thought it was just because she was mirroring what she was doing this side but the far side is different, so it can't be that. I wonder if we can view it from any angle in some kind of 'spectator' mode?
There sure could be if a second player were connected to the session.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Honestly, this wasn't even on my radar before PSX.

I never really engaged with LBP, I played a bit of the Campaign and then bailed on it without creating anything.

Everything I keep hearing about this and what you can do it in just boggles the mind though, it is crazy. If they pull it off it could be one of the most innovative games of all time.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
You can create your own Diablo-style game with random loot. That's amazing! I really can't wait to finally buy Dreams.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
When you see that Ori type level, it makes me think how big Dreams could be, cause everyone is going to be able to do, pretty easily, platformers that are most beautiful than most actual indy platformers. That should change some things.
Also the tools seem so amazing, powerful and intuitive, i wonder if there will be a before and after dreams for different game making soft. It raises the bar pretty violently.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be getting this due to the sheer amount of ambition. I'm wondering how this even exists.

JustHuzaifa

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting me hyped, will probably play LBP 2 again when I have time. (I would play LBP 3, but it barely works with how buggy it is :p)

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the new year and some of the more in-depth streams that are coming our way.

I hope some aspiring film-makers pick this up and produce some stunning stuff.

OP
OP
dobahking91

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
I hope some aspiring film-makers pick this up and produce some stunning stuff.

That needs to happen. In fact, this reminds me an old article from IGN.

"When we were in the USA we were showing people from Pixar and Disney and other studios, and they were were all impressed - it's a new and strong way to create. So that was a great validation for all of us. Even the people using high-end tools are looking at what we're doing at seeing it as real innovation. On the other end, there's the non-technical people like 2D illustrators and on the theatre side, or acoustic musicians, and they have a different level of interest. Because for many of them, they've not been able to get their heads around complex menus or creating with a mouse before. And this is giving them a way to understand the digital space and make something that looks beautiful."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/21/going-dreamsurfing-with-media-molecule

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've actually wondered if Sony could release the creation tools of Dreams as its own separate program for people in a variety of different visual arts fields to work with. That or Sony is bold and just release Dreams for the PC but I can't see that happening considering Sony's history with first party releases by their major studios. Still it would be cool if down the road Sony actually attempted to push the game as a serious creative tool for artists of all kinds.

Status
Not open for further replies.