• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Time to create an ultimate loot boxing game and see how it feels lol
Fantastic. I have tons of ideas for this. Just a question can you link the levels and make it as a whole package?

OP
OP
dobahking91

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic. I have tons of ideas for this. Just a question can you link the levels and make it as a whole package?

Yes.
screenshot_2017-12-10p0sxb.png

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Of course...

In fact one of the goals for the game is for someone to make something so polished, Sony turns around and funds it as a separate title.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of dumb, but I kind of want to create a Pokemon (or substitute) emerging from a Pokeball (or substitute). I know it's possible because we've seen stuff opening up on a trigger and we know from Alex's tweets that we can create things that expand or shrink based on a trigger.

Oct 27, 2017

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
It's kind of dumb, but I kind of want to create a Pokemon (or substitute) emerging from a Pokeball (or substitute). I know it's possible because we've seen stuff opening up on a trigger and we know from Alex's tweets that we can create things that expand or shrink based on a trigger.
I'm sure there'll also be models of every Pokémon shared by the community, which would otherwise take a long time for just one person to make and animate. I love the fact that the asset sharing allows you to just focus on one area if you'd prefer, so you could spend more time building a game, whilst other people can share high quality music and 3d assets for everyone else to use.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
Of course...

In fact one of the goals for the game is for someone to make something so polished, Sony turns around and funds it as a separate title.
"I made the game of the year 2019 and all I got was a Gold Trophy!"

So basically, if you're very careful with your asset count and detail, and your thermometer... You could do an open-world map...?

Or am I going too far with that interpretation?
Yes, basically. If your "overworld" isn't complex, it can grow in size. If there is the possibility to put multiple connections to one level, you could create one "world map" where you enter each dungeon or building as a separate level.

Edit: I asked, and guess what the answer was...

Last edited:
OP
OP
dobahking91

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
So basically, if you're very careful with your asset count and detail, and your thermometer... You could do an open-world map...?

I think Shadow of the Colossus- type of open world (with big empty spaces) might be more doable than let's say GTA style.

And you can link multiple levels.

Last edited:

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...can one make an even better Super Mario Galaxy-type level? Because when you play with gravity, that is the power of the universe.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017

Yes, the emit/destroy trick was difficult to implement in LBP but I'm sure they'll probably have proper tools to allow you to do it in Dreams. Basically, in LBP, what you did was have a moment in the game where the two halves of the level separated (usually a drop or falling rocks). At that point you would emit the next section while destroying the old section. It was hell because you had to make sure you emitted perfectly and destroyed every single piece of material/logic/moving part.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
it would've been nice to get at least a general timeframe (within a couple months or so) of when we can get the beta. i thought that kind of info was def on the docket for psx. grrrrr

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Game is sounding more and more insane the more I learn about it.

Mario Galaxy like levels possible?

Heck can we do even something like Gravity Rush in this on what? What's the limits?

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't mentioned very often but is perfect for this thread. Alex Evans presented Learning From Failure at SIGGRAPH 2015 and Umbra Ignite 2015, a talk about all of the R&D effort they put into the Dreams engine and the failures and final technology that they use:

The slides, notes and links are in the following 240MB PDF:
http://media.lolrus.mediamolecule.com/AlexEvans_SIGGRAPH-2015.pdf

That is interesting, I was wondering how exactly the engine worked. It seems unlikely you will be able to export the assets to other engines then, at least the visual ones, the characters, the environments etc. It uses voxels and doesnt render them to polygons, thats how they get the abstract visuals clearly. They even explain how difficult it is to convert them to polygons, they would not be in a very usable state. Its a bit disappointing but not unexpected, I'm still really excited for this game creation tool.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Yes, basically. If your "overworld" isn't complex, it can grow in size. If there is the possibility to put multiple connections to one level, you could create one "world map" where you enter each dungeon or building as a separate level.

That's awesome. I'd like to do something like Dragon Age Inquisition (in the sense that it's a multitude of small "open-world" maps, rather than one huge one).

Edit: I asked, and guess what the answer was...

That's very cool. (Poor Alex has probably typed the word "yes" more the past week than the rest of his live before that, haha)

I think Shadow of the Colossus- type of open world (with big empty spaces) might be more doable than let's say GTA style.

And you can link multiple levels.

I really don't mind that. But that's cool. I'm so hyped for the beta. Need to get a PS Camera to use these Move Controllers.

Yes, the emit/destroy trick was difficult to implement in LBP but I'm sure they'll probably have proper tools to allow you to do it in Dreams. Basically, in LBP, what you did was have a moment in the game where the two halves of the level separated (usually a drop or falling rocks). At that point you would emit the next section while destroying the old section. It was hell because you had to make sure you emitted perfectly and destroyed every single piece of material/logic/moving part.

Right. So it takes a lot of work and attention, but it's doable? Cool.

Man, this game looks just.... The gift that keeps on giving.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After watching two full demo sessions at PSX along with their trailer series from the weekend, I can honestly say that Dreams is probably my most anticipated game. Media Molecule has surpassed all expectations with this title.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Looks great. Easily my most anticipated game of 2018.

Stampy

Oct 27, 2017
The track is called Lovely Allen by Holy Fuck. Although they said a number of times that evertyhing in the trailer was made in Dreams, even music. This part confused me. Did they replicate the song in Dreams?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Love this screenshot.

The track is called Lovely Allen by Holy Fuck. Although they said a number of times that evertyhing in the trailer was made in Dreams, even music. This part confused me. Did they replicate the song in Dreams?
Exception for trailer I'm sure.

I wouldn't mind the full game using licensed music however as LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2 and TearAway had one of the best licensed music soundtracks ever in a game. But they seem more strict with their ingame 'purity' this time.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
After watching two full demo sessions at PSX along with their trailer series from the weekend, I can honestly say that Dreams is probably my most anticipated game. Media Molecule has surpassed all expectations with this title.

I think that right after Death Stranding, it is too. I'm getting really hyped and I really want to get super creative right now.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
What I'm reading here is music to my ears. I've always been as hyped as some are now but that's because I understood what the game was. That's not to say you're stupid for not understanding before, just that I fully understand where MM are coming. What you have to remember is that many of the creators in LBP now work for MM and that means ALL of those things people wanted adding HAVE been added.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
I asked about DLC and got this in reply. I'm intrigued:

we do plan dlc but it depends how people use it! well see

What does that even mean?

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
So if i want to create a level design like Gta, is it possible?

Yes, but you'd have to create EVERYTHING yourself, unless someone else has already created the assets you need, which is quite possible. I'd recommend starting with something simpler though ... LOL

If you want a head start on the logic, follow Comphermc. Watch all of his tutorials over and over in readiness!

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?46908-LittleBigPlanet-2-Tutorials-and-Games

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
If Sony can get Disney, Pixar, etc. to make some short films or whatever in Dreams, it would be amazing.

Man, I love these Play Create Share games. I wish Soundshapes had seen more success.

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
This got to be one, if not the most amazing and intuitive creation tool I have ever seen. I can't even imagine what amazing things creative people will create with Dreams. But all this effort by MM in the bottom half of the gen feels like a waste. So hope this will be a multi-gen title to live on to the PS5.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It seems if you put more time in scumlpting, you can get really awesome and convincing results.
A good relief and I hope skilled players will wow us.

Last edited:

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Nice preview:

Though things created in Dreams are part of its ecosystem, they're not necessarily locked there. The game makes use of the PS4's existing Share button capabilities to enable exporting movies, images, and music created within the engine, so you're not stuck waiting for your friends to buy Dreams in order to see the movie you made with it. Media Molecule also plans to support the game after launch with new capabilities for the community.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/dreams-preview/

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually wondered if Sony could release the creation tools of Dreams as its own separate program for people in a variety of different visual arts fields to work with. That or Sony is bold and just release Dreams for the PC but I can't see that happening considering Sony's history with first party releases by their major studios. Still it would be cool if down the road Sony actually attempted to push the game as a serious creative tool for artists of all kinds.
I would not play it on PC but I think this is a game where a PC version would add a lot of value for both users and for Sony. For users, having the PC modding community working on Dreams would be incredible and for Sony, it would make it a lot more accessible to non-gamer artists.

Sigh. I can only dream.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Alex is really answering a ton of questions. Too bad mine is not among these, I wanted to know how they will protect the servers from copyright lawyers. It will take hours for creative people to just upload and share e.g. full Taylor Swift songs. And after a few days, we will have recreations of diverse Nintendo games, eventually possibly even very close to the original. This will happen, I bet you anything. The only question is, how will they protect the game from the inevitable repercussions? It would be such a shame if they had to kill off the online part after a few months.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017

But how would the game know that you correctly destroy everything before triggering the emitter when building? The thermometer would have to take that into account when making the level, otherwise it would risk crashes.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Sadly all media molecule games so far have had beautiful visuals but (for me) utterly mediocre at best gameplay.
I hope this is different.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
But how would the game know that you correctly destroy everything before triggering the emitter when building? The thermometer would have to take that into account when making the level, otherwise it would risk crashes.

It was something to do with the way MM decided to store the data of anything on the Emitter. It didn't take up memory in the level. Like I said though, it was hellish getting it right in LBP. You had to make sure you destroyed EVERYTHING. Every last little piece. Then you had to make sure what you emitted was placed perfectly, otherwise parts of the levels could fall apart, especially if they had moving parts and logic.

I'm willing to bet MM have created a tool to do this. They're covering every gripe and suggestion there was with LBP.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so it was a bug basically in LBP. For Dreams I guess the easiest way to implement it would be to require the emitter to be linked to a destroyer (or whatever they're called), and the objects emitted not taking up more memory than what is removed.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Ah, so it was a bug basically in LBP. For Dreams I guess the easiest way to implement it would be to require the emitter to be linked to a destroyer (or whatever they're called), and the objects emitted not taking up more memory than what is removed.

That shouldn't make any difference. You could have a small section then destroy that and emit a huge section.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't seen the game or anything much since it was first announced. Looks really cool! Now I'm super hyped for it. Right up my ally in designing games without the coding stuff. I hope it's super successful.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
But then the game couldn't easily prevent the user from exceeding the memory limit by mistake. It needs to be fool-proof.

I'm not sure where you are coming from. It can't exceed the memory limit because in order to make something for the emitter, you have to first make it in the game. You then grab what you've created (in this case a section of a level) and set it to emit in the exact position you've grabbed it from. You then only emit it when you've first destroyed the section of level before it.

Status
Not open for further replies.