• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Well I know that whenever I get my hands on Dreams I will not stress about thermo use and stretching in/out of create mode. I'll just use the optimization tool whenever the thermo is full. Perhaps using clone tool is the only thing to keep in mind.

Unless someone in the beta says otherwise, stretching in sculpt mode then reducing detail with the optimization tool or stretching outside of sculpt mode directly should end up being more or less the same.

I think a good analogy is say you create a square in Dreams, see that as creating a 32x32 image. Then you stretch it in create mode this is like making it a 512x512 image which takes up a lot more memory/thermo space. Whereas if you stretch it outside create mode this is like keeping your 32x32 image but just rendering an up-scaled version. The upscaled 32x32 image is a lot less detailed than the native 512x512 image but since it is just a square you don't see a big difference between the upscaled image and the hi-res image. The hi-res image is overly detailed for what it is and needs to be compressed. This is the optimization tool that shows you which object consumes most of the memory. It is up to you to decide whether it is justified or not.

TLDR; Don't worry about stretching. Use the optimization tool when your thermo is full.

It really depends on the subject matter. If you're doing a soft, dreamy look then using the optimization tool is hardly noticeable. If you're going for very precise shapes with sharp, well-defined edges, you have to be careful about overdoing it and with how you build things.

That being said, so far I haven't hit any big thermo walls, so as John said it's a bit more guidance than hard limits. But I do wish the UI made those decisions more obvious to the user.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm in the beta, I understand the workarounds. I just think the current workflow is unhelpful in terms of these issues. A good UI should dissuade things which are bad decisions and offer guidance towards good decisions, but Dreams kinds of lets you do whatever and then you have to figure out why you've spent half your thermo on a mailbox.

I think for them it's second nature after several years working with it, but for new users it's like ..."u wot mate". I think there could be some UX improvements there.

the key point they made on the stream is that scaling things up *in sculpt mode* increases thermometer. That makes sense as sculpt is the raw data you're working with so scaling up is effectively 'adding more clay' rather than stretching your existing material across a larger area. Outside of sculpt mode it is actually stretching the original so shouldn't increase detail/thermo too much

The slightly confusing part was sculpting the one piece item as that is still large and therefore more detailed.

We could really do with more detailed or specific streams for tutorials. At the end of a general stream probably restricts how in depth they can go so the result can fall between two stools

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
The house someone from ERA made is a true work of art. Good job!

Yes, that was incredible. I hope there will be more from NinjaTrouiLLe in the same style. I'd love to walk around a themed environment like that in VR when PSVR support is added.

Congrats to all from ERA who had some of their work showcased on the stream. I got a big grin on my face when they mentioned that "Don't Sneeze" level.

Speaking of themes and styles. The characters people are creating are pretty cool. However, I would wish for characters to be published in collections so that if you are using them to make a game that they would all share a similar art style. Picking parts from multiple creators might make for some pretty non-cohesive levels/games.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
theres no real export other than make a music file from a video file.

I guess that makes sense. I wasn't asking so much for me (I couldn't produce a track to save my life), but more so for people who may have the talent and could export their music to share with others. Seems like a pretty powerful (and accessible) tool. I'm just really interested in this games ability to produce different kinds of "art".

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody should make a Sony beta application game. Maybe a text adventure
should we announce it but don't release it?

I guess that makes sense. I wasn't asking so much for me (I couldn't produce a track to save my life), but more so for people who may have the talent and could export their music to share with others. Seems like a pretty powerful (and accessible) tool. I'm just really interested in this games ability to produce different kinds of "art".
i mean currently theres nothing. But that doesn't mean they aren't exploring or have something in mind. we'll just see what's on the roadmap when they decide to put one out.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
200.gif

I guess signing up within a minute after the page went live doesn't matter.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Guess I'll just be waiting until it releases in...

*checks notes*

...well, I'll just be waiting.

Remf

Oct 29, 2017
can't access feedback.indreams.me (US) so I'm screwed out of the beta... at least I don't have to sit around waiting/wondering if I'm going to get an email or not...

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Time of sign up seems to not matter at all, I signed up at the exact same time as my friends and they haven't gotten shit yet. I can feel the salt through the group chat but I told them they're probably sending them out in waves

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Time of sign up seems to not matter at all, I signed up at the exact same time as my friends and they haven't gotten shit yet. I can feel the salt through the group chat but I told them they're probably sending them out in waves

That's really frustrating. If it's just random, then that spurns the most actively interested parties in favor of whoever signed up with the most burner accounts.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Congratulations to everyone who has got in today. Seems no luck for me so far. Can not wait to see the weird and wonderful things everyone creates.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
That's really frustrating. If it's just random, then that spurns the most actively interested parties in favor of whoever signed up with the most burner accounts.
I was watching the live stream when the tweet went live and immediately sent it to them one of them signed up before me and the other two within 5 minutes after and I'm the only one to get in

Oct 25, 2017
The way this beta has been handled has been an absolute joke.

I have no confidence in MM and Sony marketing and making this game a success if they can't even please their own discord with the handling of a small beta.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
They're probably doing this in waves so their beta servers don't go up in flames. It's unfortunate that the next stage of emails isn't until Monday though.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Wow, yeah. I'm sure the people on the subreddit who didn't get access are more eager to vote, but on the polls they put up, 419 said they didn't get a code, and only 38 said that they did.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm really really impressed what people are making already, don't think I'm going to make anything for the beta and just play stuff. I have a couple of ideas for levels/games I want to make but think I'll save it for the full game.

Status
Not open for further replies.