• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
It's a big moment for Mm and they wanted everyone who was involved on that pic.

But probably there aren't often all devs at the same time at work.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I have 110€ loaded in my EU account, had at least 60€ since early last year waiting for Dreams to drop. I deserve to be in the Early Access.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You make it sound as if there was something wrong with the puppet. That thing is incredible, not only does it "just work," it somehow keeps working as you twist it into shapes that barely resemble what it was designed to simulate.
I agree that it's most likely just a massive design challenge to make a quadruped that can withstand this much abuse, but I just can't let you talk this way about my procedural buddy!

We've seen from sprout and shadow the dog that four legged characters are possible, but maybe not trivial with procedural animation

I hope as they're Mm creations that they let us remix sprout and shadow

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
We've seen from sprout and shadow the dog that four legged characters are possible, but maybe not trivial with procedural animation

I hope as they're Mm creations that they let us remix sprout and shadow
Sprout was impressive as a quadruped, yeah. Captain Shadow, while dog-like in nature, was only shown walking on his hind legs.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
giphy.gif

Can't wait to finally dig in. I got into the beta so late that it felt futile to try to really make anything. Now it's time to learn.

Ging

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I reallly reeeaallly cannot wait to create on it >_< Call me Call me please Media Molecule :)

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
MM is at EGX. they just wrapped up day 1.

they are doing some daily sessions that explore several things

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a power flicker today. The Dreams beta has ended for me. :( I never thought it would have lasted this long. Good thing I get back in in 12 days.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
I had a power flicker today. The Dreams beta has ended for me. :( I never thought it would have lasted this long. Good thing I get back in in 12 days.
Thats amazing!
I cant believe its almost time to fall into creation and experimentation ^_^
everyone here got me nervous enough to pre load money
locked and loaded

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
ok i havent followed too much recently, but is there anything i must do /receive to make sure im part of this early adoption stuff?

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
ok i havent followed too much recently, but is there anything i must do /receive to make sure im part of this early adoption stuff?

From what I know it is just a matter of going to the PS Store and buy it, first come first serve.

I know I'll be pretty nervous about not getting it (missed the beta as well). I'll be hitting F5 on the store page and screaming "It's not there, why is it not there yet?!?".

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
From what I know it is just a matter of going to the PS Store and buy it, first come first serve.

I know I'll be pretty nervous about not getting it (missed the beta as well). I'll be hitting F5 on the store page and screaming "It's not there, why is it not there yet?!?".

Does Dreams have a store page yet to begin with to F5? That's my worry. That I'll not find the page in time.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Can Dreams be shared with another account on the same PS4, or does every account need a licence due to the online profile? It occurred to me I never tried it during the Beta, where my wife and me just used the same account, but we want separate accounts in the full version.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Can Dreams be shared with another account on the same PS4, or does every account need a licence due to the online profile? It occurred to me I never tried it during the Beta, where my wife and me just used the same account, but we want separate accounts in the full version.

I can't see why you couldn't do that, but I'm not 100% sure.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, just like every game on PS4.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm curious what you were able to do in the Beta after it finished without access to the internet, mostly messing around with the creation tools?

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What time does the store update? The UK store specifically?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
They said on Twitter they will say a precise time when we will be near to 16th April ;)

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I've been thinking about the floatiness problem for platformers in Dreams, so I've been looking for information about what kind of gravitational acceleration is used in the Mario games, since they're pretty much considered the baseline for satisfying jumping physics. It turns out that the gravity in Mario is insanely powerful. Somebody wrote a short report about the gravity in mainline Mario games, up until Super Paper Mario, which can be found at https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/mariogravity.shtml. The author based their research on Mario being 5 foot tall (1.52 metres) and I've snipped out the most relevant data here:

mariogravityhrk2c.png

Essentially, what this means is that these Mario games are set on a world with 4.4 to 11 times the gravity of Earth. Dreams, by default, has a gravity of approximately 1g (9.81m/s^2), which I tested by making pendulums in a Dream, a few days after the beta came out. I think the default mannequin is around 1.8m tall also.

What I can conclude from this, is that if you want to make a good (non-realistic) platformer in Dreams, then I recommend turning the gravity way up and make the character's jump sufficiently powerful to compensate.
Underrated post.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about the floatiness problem for platformers in Dreams, so I've been looking for information about what kind of gravitational acceleration is used in the Mario games, since they're pretty much considered the baseline for satisfying jumping physics. It turns out that the gravity in Mario is insanely powerful. Somebody wrote a short report about the gravity in mainline Mario games, up until Super Paper Mario, which can be found at https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/mariogravity.shtml. The author based their research on Mario being 5 foot tall (1.52 metres) and I've snipped out the most relevant data here:

mariogravityhrk2c.png

Essentially, what this means is that these Mario games are set on a world with 4.4 to 11 times the gravity of Earth. Dreams, by default, has a gravity of approximately 1g (9.81m/s^2), which I tested by making pendulums in a Dream, a few days after the beta came out. I think the default mannequin is around 1.8m tall also.

What I can conclude from this, is that if you want to make a good (non-realistic) platformer in Dreams, then I recommend turning the gravity way up and make the character's jump sufficiently powerful to compensate.
That's exactly my settings on Dreams: gravity to the max and it was barely enough to have responsive controls. MM should allow even stronger gravity settings.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
That's exactly my settings on Dreams: gravity to the max and it was barely enough to have responsive controls. MM should allow even stronger gravity settings.
I'd suggest making smaller characters because it'll make gravity feel stronger from the user's perspective. Alternatively you could forgo the use of gravity entirely and utilise movers to simulate gravity yourself. This, however, will require a lot of logic work to setup, plus I don't know how the puppet will react to it, so you may have to keyframe a lot of animations manually (and lose stuff like inverse kinematics).

Status
Not open for further replies.