• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I'd suggest making smaller characters because it'll make gravity feel stronger from the user's perspective. Alternatively you could forgo the use of gravity entirely and utilise movers to simulate gravity yourself. This, however, will require a lot of logic work to setup, plus I don't know how the puppet will react to it, so you may have to keyframe a lot of animations manually (and lose stuff like inverse kinematics).
I don't know about size cause I thought about it and tried different sizes and I wonder if the gravity was not also dependant of the size. And movers will take CPU and thermos ressources. I think from memory the maximum gravity settings was maybe 400%. They should allow at least 1000% seeing that some Mario games have even 1100% gravity settings.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I don't know about size cause I thought about it and tried different sizes and I wonder if the gravity was not also dependant of the size. And movers will take CPU and thermos ressources. I think from memory the maximum gravity settings is maybe 400%. They should allow at least 1000% seeing that some Mario games have even 1100% gravity settings.
Size is definitely relevant. I played a few dreams where the creator used a small character without changing any other setting, and I could immediately tell by the way the jumping felt. In terms of gravity strength, a super high setting would be most useful for 2D platformers. If you look at the table of gravity comparisons, then 3D Mario has a lower strength.

Something else I've not brought up, but might be worth thinking about, is terminal velocity. Capping the max falling speed early on after the peak of a jump will help provide additional control in the air. You could also introduce an artificial 'hang' at the top of a jump to help fine-tune the controls.

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what you were able to do in the Beta after it finished without access to the internet, mostly messing around with the creation tools?

Yes, I was mainly playing with the audio tools, but I also downloaded a lot of levels before the end that were remixbale to see how people were doing things.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Here's "Everything I Need to Know about Dreams" -

Is it April 16th yet?!?[/QUOTE]

kr8No3o.jpg

(reminded me of this scene in TW3, sorry haha)

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about size cause I thought about it and tried different sizes and I wonder if the gravity was not also dependant of the size. And movers will take CPU and thermos ressources. I think from memory the maximum gravity settings was maybe 400%. They should allow at least 1000% seeing that some Mario games have even 1100% gravity settings.
I saw someone alter the default limits of a setting by hooking in some simple math logic directly to the setting, I would imagine you could do the same with gravity. No movers or anything just some simple math to increase the strength, it's at least worth a try.

Also, in Dreams (at least beta) in order to have really tight controls, I had to turn certain settings ALL the way up (such as acceleration) but then add some logic to create limits as the game doesn't handle some things too well when you turn them way up. I was in the middle of making a really tight and responsive character near the end of the beta, definitely plan on continuing that work as soon as I get my hands on the game again. I wish I would have captured my work before it ended :/

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

I'd be surprised if gravity depended on size - otherwise small items would fall at a different speed to big items. While it would be ideal to have higher gravity limits, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd set that upper limit based on what their physics system can cope with, generally, and still remain stable/robust.

Size certainly ought to work assuming there isn't anything bizarre going on with the gravity. Objects fall at the same speed regardless of their size/mass. If you halve the size of everything in your world, things will appear to fall faster because they have fallen further relative to their size.

Talking about the physics of Mario is a bit dubious because you start with an assumption about his height. If Mario is human sized, then his gravity is very high. If Mario is ant sized, then it isn't.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they announce the time soon. I'm moving on the 15th and I don't wanna miss out on this just because my computer and PS4's unplugged

Keduko

Jan 10, 2019
Does anyone of you can still enter the feedback portal from the beta?
I'm asking because I am able to visit that website since the beta ended, but only on my phone.

I just opened the page and they deleted all posts in the Bugs and Feedback sections, so I guess they will use the same portal for collecting our feedback. All the "How Do I" Threads are still there for new dreamers. I'm feeling a bit criminal for seeing things I shouldn't but it's nice to see things moving :D

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Can Dreams be shared with another account on the same PS4, or does every account need a licence due to the online profile? It occurred to me I never tried it during the Beta, where my wife and me just used the same account, but we want separate accounts in the full version.

Yes you can - Alex from Mm confirmed on Twitter. I specifically asked because the beta wouldn't work - it was tied to your PSN account. This will be just like a regular game playable on any account on your 'home' PS4

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's a Tuesday so probably release usual US time? Uk regular releases are a Friday so could it be later in the day for uk/Europe?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Don't remember about tools but more tutorials and templates will be added

A precise hour will be announced when we'll be near 16th April said MM

It's a Sony psn store release. I won't hold my breath

Still, once it's up it will be flagged by Mm on Twitter, on this thread and on discord. I'll buy from my phone at work so i'm Not worried. I know many of us are nervous but this won't be like the beta and I bet anyone buying in the first week at least will be absolutely fine

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Very excited for the EA as I missed the beta. I do wonder though if it makes sense to bring some people in and show them the game. I'm pretty sure there was local multiplayer in the beta as I recall some Era member designing some party game. However, were you able to play most levels in the beta in couch coop mode? Can you dream surf multiplayer levels only for when you are with a friend?

Thanks

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very excited for the EA as I missed the beta. I do wonder though if it makes sense to bring some people in and show them the game. I'm pretty sure there was local multiplayer in the beta as I recall some Era member designing some party game. However, were you able to play most levels in the beta in couch coop mode? Can you dream surf multiplayer levels only for when you are with a friend?

Thanks

People have made playlists/collections of all available co-op/party games.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Visited Mm offices today! ...and dropped off my daughter and her friend to spend the day making games and then left ;-;

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
In the lead up to the Early Access, I'm working on a montage of sorts to commemorate the creations during the beta. Will be 10-15 minutes long at most.

Does anyone here want to ensure that I include at least a snippet of your creation(s)?

If so, please let me know ASAP as I plan to finish the video by the end of the weekend.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the lead up to the Early Access, I'm working on a montage of sorts to commemorate the creations during the beta. Will be 10-15 minutes long at most.

Does anyone here want to ensure that I include at least a snippet of your creation(s)?

If so, please let me know ASAP as I plan to finish the video by the end of the weekend.

Awesome, looking forward to this.

Someone should also make an epic 2-3 minute trailer solely using beta creations footage.

Deleted member 22528

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've had an idea for maybe almost five years now for a pretty simple (mechanics-wise) narrative-driven RPG that I hope I can make in this. I'm almost completely ignorant to the tools and haven't watched any of the endless MM streams explaining how to use the game properly...I'm probably fucked but some part of me is hoping the game is truly magical and I can still make something interesting jumping in blind...

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
I've had an idea for maybe almost five years now for a pretty simple (mechanics-wise) narrative-driven RPG that I hope I can make in this.

Some people were already doing things like simple inventory management in the Beta and so I have full confidence that given enough time, there will be enough components and tools created by others-- and shared-- that you could leverage to make your idea a reality. Or at least get started.

part of me is hoping the game is truly magical and I can still make something interesting jumping in blind...

100% yes to both parts

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So we don't know the time of day? I've been just writing tons of noted in my phone on my lunch breaks at work for what I want to try doing in dreams for the last 2 weeks lol i'd be so heartbroken if I don't get in this cuz idk if I can purchase this if it goes live while im at work.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So we don't know the time of day? I've been just writing tons of noted in my phone on my lunch breaks at work for what I want to try doing in dreams for the last 2 weeks lol i'd be so heartbroken if I don't get in this cuz idk if I can purchase this if it goes live while im at work.

I'm sure you'll be fine buying in the first week - I understand the worry but don't stress about day one timing

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Wait, this releases next week???
I've been looking forward to this for years. I know its the early access release, but does anyone know if it Will get a physical EA release? Or only digital? And do you get the story when they release it, or will it be a separate download?

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can you access the Playstation Store site from work? That's what I plan to do, buy it from their store on the web.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I am honestly pissed that neither Playstation LATAM, MM or Playstation US can't tell me if the Early Access will be available on Mexico. I am ready to buy it from my US account, but I found terrible I can't get a "No/Yes" from them.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I am honestly pissed that neither Playstation LATAM, MM or Playstation US can't tell me if the Early Access will be available on Mexico. I am ready to buy it from my US account, but I found terrible I can't get a "No/Yes" from them.
Regions have been listed on the US and EU blog, and mentioned on Twitter.

PS Blog said:
Which territories will Dreams Early Access be available for?
Initially, Dreams Early Access will be available in the US, Canada and all European territories.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Regions have been listed on the US and EU blog, and mentioned on Twitter.

I mean yes, but Mexico is always on a weird limbo when it comes to this. Sometimes we get the same stuff as US/Canada, sometimes we don't. We use US dollars as currency but sometimes even PS+ games are different here from what it's normally offered on the US. So, I just wanted a confirmation for this.

I mean, my guess is that no, we won't get the Early Access, but a definitive answer would have been nice :(

Status
Not open for further replies.