• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2017
So us poor souls who live in North America will have to sit and watch the rest of the world playing with Dreams while we stare at our clocks. Enjoy the head start you lucky bastards!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I mean - I'll be playing it..but 12 hours is long enough to maybe have on in the background or watch a bit at a time over following days

Does make me feel like taking a day off though..

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Really hyped. I played the demo again (the creation side this time) at EGX Rezzed last week and it's *so* good.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Added $30 to my wallet so I won't have any additional processing time (Not sure what the "hype" levels are among the general populace, but I don't want to miss out).

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that should do it. :) Ha. I just had a week off so I can't take any more time off at the moment, but I'll try to download it from the Playstation Store online. I am EDT so it's 11:30am and I'll be at work.

Oh, do we get an EA OT?

Im lucky and my job lets you take your birthday as a paid "holiday" which just so happens to be a day from release so my boss didnt mind.

Goodluck to everyone getting in!

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Ive been trying to temper my excitement about this since that puppet demo oh so long ago now. May have to take tuesday off ^_^

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I know ill have it in my hands soon but i have 1 big question I havent been able to find an answer to.

I know I can connect a LOT of levels together to form large games but what are the limitations to connected levels?

Can I complete 50% of level A, jump to level B, 100% it, then with a new item gained in lvl B go back and finish A?

Can you make a metroid game where each region is its own level and jump back and forth between levels and retain progress made in each?

AmericanKirby

Aug 31, 2018
Inside your house
Can I complete 50% of level A, jump to level B, 100% it, then with a new item gained in lvl B go back and finish A?

Can you make a metroid game where each region is its own level and jump back and forth between levels and retain progress made in each?

Yes, but the ability to do that isn't automatic.

I don't remember if you can make a level's state persist between level loads, but any form of progress that should persist between levels can be stored as persistent variables. So you can have variables for whether x item was obtained or y blockade in whatever level was destroyed and so on. There's no built in inventory system or concept of "items," so that stuff will have to be created manually using logic and variables.

Moving between levels isn't a problem at all since levels don't necessarily have to have a linear order and doors can be made to go in either direction. IIRC all games (and every dream with more than 1 scene for that matter) come with a built in level select. The results of playing levels out of order can be a bit weird though.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but the ability to do that isn't automatic.

I don't remember if you can make a level's state persist between level loads, but any form of progress that should persist between levels can be stored as persistent variables. So you can have variables for whether x item was obtained or y blockade in whatever level was destroyed and so on. There's no built in inventory system or concept of "items," so that stuff will have to be created manually using logic and variables.

Moving between levels isn't a problem at all since levels don't necessarily have to have a linear order and doors can be made to go in either direction. IIRC all games (and every dream with more than 1 scene for that matter) come with a built in level select. The results of playing levels out of order can be a bit weird though.

Awesome! I'll probably end up spending a good amount of time seeing the effects of jumping between levels with different variables before getting too deep into things.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i can see my nephew and niece loving this thing, wondering if i should get this for them :/
how much is this early access being sold for? 40 usd?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
No time limit, but "space is limited". So even if you can't play until the 24th you might want to grab it on the 16th.

I wonder how they're handling this, do they have a system in place tied to PSN to stop further payments from processing after a certain number are bought? I mean since it isn't a beta sign up I assume if your order goes through then you're good to go and can install the client immediately. I assume we can dive in on the 16th and there isn't a future launch time also.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I wonder how they're handling this, do they have a system in place tied to PSN to stop further payments from processing after a certain number are bought? I mean since it isn't a beta sign up I assume if your order goes through then you're good to go and can install the client immediately. I assume we can dive in on the 16th and there isn't a future launch time also.
I assume they'll just announce a cut off date once they have idea of the rate the game is selling.

Internally, they must have a number in mind of how many copies they want to sell this early access

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
what are the odds that theres a miscommunication and EA will end up part of the PSN store update which happens in the afternoon/evening.
only because they are releasing it on the 16th which is normal update day.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome! I'll probably end up spending a good amount of time seeing the effects of jumping between levels with different variables before getting too deep into things.
The inventory/variables that you can pass from level to level are a finite size. Easiest to keep that low would be to use one bit per collectable/destroyable item to indicate "delete" then tag all the items with the unique bit code plus a "temp item" tag. On level load destroy all temp items that have the bit code set in inventory. Or something like that. But if you need to remember movable item (eg. roaming enemy) location the you need more space for the other attributes or just randomise again on re-entry.

AmericanKirby

Aug 31, 2018
Inside your house
The inventory/variables that you can pass from level to level are a finite size.

Do we even know what the limit on the number of variables is? Has anyone at MM said? Obviously there has to be a limit, but there's nothing that seems to indicate that there is one, so it might be crazy high. Storing multiple flags in a single variable seems like a good idea though, just in case.

Andiie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really excited to play. Shame they moved the potential release times from early morning to while I'm at work. Hopefully I wont run into any issues buying. I've been looking forward for a few weeks being able to play over the easter holidays all day.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that this is the first project MM has launched in a long time. Tearaway Unfolded was what, 2014? I'm really hoping sales of early access exceed their expectations, I'm sure development hasn't been easy and seeing a return for the passion they put in would be really nice.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I wonder how they're handling this,

Easy. They already announced that they have a huge number of slots for this early access and I also believe the number will be so huge, that it won't even get maxed out at all and they will rather end it after a specific time then having all slots sold.
That they have different timed releases, even days later in Japan as example confirms this theory a bit.

It's hilarious how many people act here like it's potentially gone after 10 minutes. I don't think they want this shitstorm. So they probably doubled or tripled the slots from the beta and when they see it's not going up anymore or 2 weeks past by then they end it.

Status
Not open for further replies.