• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
AlSmJET.png

Dig into an overview of what you can do when starting the game, check out the Story mode and meet its lead characters, then enjoy a showcase of how easy it is to create environments and levels using either PS Move or Dualshock 4 controllers.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...inary-ps4-exclusive-dreams-in-4-short-videos/

mflFXV1.png

Studio Director Siobhan Reddy, Art Director Kareem Ettouney, Technical Director Alex Evans and Creative Director Mark Healey offer an overview of what Dreams is all about.

iZiMHKv.png

Here's your first look at the three interweaving narratives that make up Dreams' central Story Mode, all built using the very same tools that you'll have access to.

uidVv9w.png

Creating an environment in Dreams in 5 minutes
Art Director Kareem Ettouney demonstrates how easy it is to create a beautiful environment in the games' Dream Shaping mode.

Creating a level in Dreams in under 10 minutes
Finally, Level Designer John Beech puts together a fully playable level.

6tABBtG.png

vNY2wS0.png

Media Molecule presents Dreams | PSX Panel 2017.

Livestream
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208218124

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208478912

K2nwYiL.png

Articles:

Kotaku- Dreams For PS4 Is Hard To Explain, But It Looks Brilliant
Dreams does not really make sense until you see the creative tools that were used to make it. Those tools are given to every player. Unlike LittleBigPlanet, or indeed any other game that invites you to create your own levels, Dreams does not limit you to collaging together textures, items, music, characters et cetera created for you by the developer. It lets you create every single one of those thingsyourself, if you want. Once I realized that every tiny detail in the single-player levels was made with these tools, from the suitcases on a train platform to the flying dragon with its emphatic facial expressions—and then I realized that I could make something like that, too—I began to understand the full scope of Dreams, and what it is trying to make possible.

IGN- PSX 2017: Dreams is Beautiful, Complicated, and Has Endless Potential
Dreams is a hard game to explain. It is a game, but it's also a creation tool, a social network, a film studio, a music editor, and so much more, all wrapped into a single package.

PSU- Dreams for PS4 is the ultimate creation engine
Dreams is an incredibly deep experience, but only as deep as you make it. No interest in creation, as quick and accessible as those tools are? Sit back and enjoy auto-surf. Let Dreams stitch together various community creations into a loose, two-hour play session. Filter your experience by tone (cute, horror, action, etc.), by game type, or with custom tags. Search for creators by name, or find any topic and subject matter using text search. Like something you see but have ideas for making it better? Take that content and publish a Remix. Want to know all the assets and creators that went into making something? View its Genealogy, a branching cookie trail that shows all content and creators involved plus relevant Remixes. Don't care for that complexity? Start a project with baked-in characters and environments. Invite your friends to be collaborators and add their touch. Publish it, or keep it a private workspace.

DigitalTrends- Dreams' is a game about making games, and it goes as deep as you want
The ultimate goal is that, as users create and upload stuff, the growing compendium of shareable elements that anyone can use will form the backbone of a massive, collaborative community. And if you use someone's original music or their original character or their original animations in your level, Dreams automatically credits them in your creation -- which makes it possible for others to see who made what, and potentially follow that person, commend them, and find their other work.

But while Dreams' capabilities are complex, using it is meant to be as simple as possible. Most everything can be controlled intuitively with the motion capabilities of the DualShock 4 controller, and the developers said they're working to make performance the means by which things are added to the game. That means if you want to add a simple animation to something, like moving a platform back and forth for a character to jump onto, you just select the object, set the game to record an animation, and then move your controller however you want the platform to move. Stop recording and the animation is there in the game.

Some info:
  • Dream is coming in 2019.
  • For the open beta MM will be inducting players in waves starting the week of January 8th
  • Think LBP in 3D and with way more possibilities.
  • Couch co-op up to 4 players.
  • Local multiplayer on launch, online planned after.
  • There will be a beta before the release.
  • You can play and create using the normal Dualshock 4 controller, Move is an option.
  • There are also tutorials built into the game.
  • PSVR support is coming post launch.
  • There is a full physics system included in dreams for things like gravity, weight, and projectiles etc...
  • PS4 Pro support: 4k output or 'arcade mode' (higher frame rate) at 1080p. But all gameplay, tools and content is the same on pro & base.
  • You can share everything you make and collaborate with other people.
  • You can download other people's creations and play or use them as assets in your creations.
  • You can gain XP on your profil depending on what you do, for instanceas as animator, player, or designer. That allows you to easily find people that like doing specific things.
  • Thermometer limit is about complexity, not size.
  • You can link the levels.
  • You can create 100 levels on 1 map, and you can put 4 maps in one

All the things you can make in Dreams.
Credit to Neon the Coder (@jangofett890 on twitter) for these:

DQvAKNiVAAI1IHC.jpg

DQvj8eTV4AAZXIa.jpg:large

Ed Hargrave (the guy who was demoing all the audio stuff at PSX) said it was pretty spot on.

lNjcrxj.png

Dreams - TGA 2017 Trailer

oxjoZdC.gif

oDhTKAz.gif

X2m5A5W.gif

31u9r5a.gif

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder

Do we expect every tool that was in lbp and more? Or is there evidence that any are missing or scaled back?

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Story mode look really cool, would love to see more.
Those character's animations and movement really lifted all my concern, everything look super solid like a proper game.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
This looks awesome. I'd be interested to know how the character creation works and how you create animations. Like I presume when you add a ton of geometry and it intersects its culling all the inside unseen geometry. I love how organic and fast it is to create things. Can you export the the actual geometry.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
This is like, the most impressive stuff I have seen ever and Dreams threads barely get a response.

I can only pray this will find success, day 1 for me no question.

eightg4

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I fell in love with this game from Media Molecule. I spend litterally hours on Twitch to understand all the tools they'v created so far. It's so amazing and fun to watch.

So excited to play it and try all the tools they brought especially music, lighting and animation ones ! I imagine myself creating levels with a big sens of scale, trying in coop mode to create a game that we want to play.
I really hope they gonna implement tools so we can really focus on the core gameplay mechanics.

It's seems that they'v created, UI so we can start creating things amazingly fast , and beyond that, tools that allow people with knowledge to go even deeper into creativity, way more deeper than we dreamed of compare to LPB.

I even think that Dreams gonna be a awesome software for small digital company or highschools to create project without spending so much money or time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soooo this has gone from "WTF am I looking at?" to "it's LBP" (but more advanced). Makes sense I guess! Looks cool.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the story mode is big. I've bought every Media Molecule game so far and i buy them mostly for their SP story modes (especially valid for LBP since Tearaway was SP only anyway). I love the art style shown in the various trailers and the story mode sounds great, with 3 distinct settings and gameplay. I most probably will not create anything, but i will probably spent a good amount of time checking out player created content depending on the quality (played a lot of LBP 2 player created levels).

In short, love what i'm seeing on the story mode. Hope it's really big and substantial. Visually, it looks imaginative, unique and gorgeous (like any other MM game) and i'm sure the music will be great aswell.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
People need to understand that this is not a game per se. You can't just approach it with "So what's the gameplay like?".

It is not just a game, or rather, a mix of different genres interwoven into one big storyline, which the story mode is.

It is more of a platform, to create WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU LIKE.

You can create:
  • Objects
  • Environments
  • Pictures, digital paintings
  • Animated pictures
  • Music
  • Movies
  • Music videos
  • Animated art
  • Interactive Movies
  • Games of pretty much ANY genre
  • OR ANY COMBINATION OF THE ABOVE
Did I forget something?

Nov 8, 2017
One of the things that I'm really excited about is the ability to take objects created by other users and insert them into your levels. The levels in Dreams will only get better and better over time as the library is populated with more interesting gameplay elements. I remember being absolutely blown away by how amazing some of the things people were able to make with LittleBigPlanet and the tools in Dreams will blow that game away. Hopefully the great creators from LBP end up moving to Dreams as well.

eightg4

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
People need to understand that this is not a game per se. You can't just approach it with "So what's the gameplay like?".

It is not just a game, or rather, a mix of different genres interwoven into one big storyline, which the story mode is.

It is more of a platform, to create WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU LIKE.

You can create:
  • Objects
  • Environments
  • Pictures, digital paintings
  • Animated pictures
  • Music
  • Movies
  • Music videos
  • Animated art
  • Interactive Movies
  • Games of pretty much ANY genre
  • OR ANY COMBINATION OF THE ABOVE
Did I forget something?

Hope they gonna go deeper into logic / scripting mechanics so we can learn how to create any kind of gameplay (FPS, TPS, and so one). We saw really fast, racing in a trailer like star wars, hope we can create FPS and RPG too somehow :)

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Glad people are finally coming around on the game here. Media Molecule are on such another level. Never in my wildest _____ would I imagine the successor to LBP to be both so advanced and intuitive.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they gonna go deeper into logic / scripting mechanics so we can learn how to create any kind of gameplay (FPS, TPS, and so one). We saw really fast, racing in a trailer like star wars, hope we can create FPS and RPG too in some way :)
To be fair, placing triggers and coordinating them in-depth is not good material for a PSX presentation. I think that stuff will come for advanced users later down the road.

Did you say FPS? Well, one shot in the trailer showed some space cockpit No Man's Sky style, which is mechanically similar to a FPS, so I think this will work as well.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
There is something i don't understand, Mm said the game had a campaign mode with only 3 genre. Although, the trailer shows much more type of games like 2D platform and racing...etc.
So i think the game will have 2 SP mode maybe? One with story and all (Story Mode) and the other with just pure stages that you pick and play?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The game continues to look absolutely stunning on so many different levels. The creation tools look so damn intuitive and friendly to even non artists. I'm rarely the type to build things in games that feature such aspects but I think I'll be losing hundreds of hours to this game just fucking around making levels and the such.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Articles:

Kotaku- Dreams is Hard to Explain, but It Looks Brilliant
:
Dreams does not really make sense until you see the creative tools that were used to make it. Those tools are given to every player. Unlike LittleBigPlanet, or indeed any other game that invites you to create your own levels, Dreams does not limit you to collaging together textures, items, music, characters et cetera created for you by the developer. It lets you create every single one of those thingsyourself, if you want. Once I realized that every tiny detail in the single-player levels was made with these tools, from the suitcases on a train platform to the flying dragon with its emphatic facial expressions—and then I realized that I could make something like that, too—I began to understand the full scope of Dreams, and what it is trying to make possible.

IGN- PSX 2017: Dreams is Beautiful, Complicated, and Has Endless Potential
Dreams is a hard game to explain. It is a game, but it's also a creation tool, a social network, a film studio, a music editor, and so much more, all wrapped into a single package.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
The music editor blew my mind.

I mean, popping up some sequencer in the game is already bonkers, but the SEQUENCE EDITOR works like "painting with light in 3D" with the controller, and this just killed me! Whoa!

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony and MM should push this game by just giving it to creative types. Let other game developers from different stuiods make their own parts to show off what can be done. Let actual artists, even those not in the gaming field, get hands on and show just what the tools can do with a skilled hand. Hell just give the game to schools so students can play around with it.

Honestly the potential for this game is big enough that it could reach far beyond the gaming community. I already have shown some artist friends what the creative tools look like and what's possible with them and several were blown away by how flexible, creative and intuitive it all looks.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Hey! I'm the one who made that! - Content Creation and Credit

What happens to the stuff I create? Can anybody just use my creations and claim that they're the original creators?

Dreams is intended to be a collaborative platform first and foremost, but you are not required to share your work with members of the community. You have full control over whether your creations can be used by others or not. You can also choose to share only individual elements of your creations.

Anything that you do decide to distribute will automatically be tagged with your information. This will be added to the creation's genealogy. Anyone who adds or makes changes to your creation will also be tagged in that genealogy. People will be able to trace any given asset all the way back to you, the original creator. This is all to promote the spirit of collaboration.

For example, say you create a very basic set of double doors that is set to open when you step on a mat layed out in front of them. Someone else might take that basic door and change the way they look (making it like a transparent glass door). The next person may take that glass set of doors and shove it inside of a building. Every minor adjustment is logged and each person who participated in the collaboration is automatically credited for their work

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony and MM should push this game by just giving it to creative types. Let other game developers from different stuiods make their own parts to show off what can be done. Let actual artists, even those not in the gaming field, get hands on and show just what the tools can do with a skilled hand. Hell just give the game to schools so students can play around with it.

Honestly the potential for this game is big enough that it could reach far beyond the gaming community. I already have shown some artist friends what the creative tools look like and what's possible with them and several were blown away by how flexible, creative and intuitive it all looks.

I think they're definitely soliciting that kind of collaboration. e.g. http://www.develop-online.net/news/...-with-theatre-organisation-punchdrunk/0228048

eightg4

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
To be fair, placing triggers and coordinating them in-depth is not good material for a PSX presentation. I think that stuff will come for advanced users later down the road.

Did you say FPS? Well, one shot in the trailer showed some space cockpit No Man's Sky style, which is mechanically similar to a FPS, so I think this will work as well.

Imagine Dreams beeing able to bring / create / manage VR content is a big step forward to an all new era ! Sony must be theilled about that ! A game that is capable of creating so much ideas, a community and beyond so much games !!
I remember about LBP. We were in the exact same spot, we were already dreaming about what that game could be, and I think the community have made a tremendous job, but I think we can't imagine how far this one gonna help us to go !

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The passion the team has the game is very seducing. I love everything I saw and might get a PSVR when they release VR mode.

JustHuzaifa

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on local coop in Dreams? Someone on reddit said it's been confirmed, but I'm looking for a source.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Will watch the videos later, but from what I watched and learned from the game during PSX, I am really hyped for it. I am already dreaming(pun intended) of things I want to make in this game.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not only can I not wait for the beta, but the beta thread is going to be insane. I'm going to spam it like I did the screenshot thread forever ago.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I always thought Dreams would be pretty cool but it's far beyond what even I expected it to be. Looks like the big delay really let MM go crazy and add in a ton of stuff, giving us what is basically a fully featured game creator and more. I'm all in on this day 1.

Now just don't make me wait too long for VR support.

Status
Not open for further replies.