• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Valve seems to have seemingly lost all interest in making games, which is a real shame. I have given up hope of ever seeing L4D3. Luckily, Turtle Rock are stepping up with Back 4 Blood.
It's weird that people still think this despite the context of this thread. Valve never stopped making games, and are actually making 3 VR games, one of which is HLVR, before we start talking about Artifact and DOTA Underlords.

If you don't believe HLVR and you think only singleplayer games count, well again, Gabe said a while back that they are making a singleplayer game, which is likely referring to HLVR.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
It's weird that people still think this despite the context of this thread. Valve never stopped making games, and are actually making 3 VR games, one of which is HLVR, before we start talking about Artifact and DOTA Underlords.

If you don't believe HLVR and you think only singleplayer games count, well again, Gabe said a while back that they are making a singleplayer game, which is likely referring to HLVR.
As I said before, I'm principally a console gamer. I played Half Life 2:2 on 360, along with Portal 1/2 and L4D1/2. They are all such excellent games. I'd definitely get a PC if Valve released anything similar, and if VR was not required.

I thought Artifact was dead and buried. Could be thinking of something else, though.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
VR Only? Yuck

Also release in about 2 months? Yeah...I dont see it.
You can dislike it all you like, but if Valve are in top form with this, they'd have a killer game on their hands, and not just in VR terms. Then again, you like to troll each of these VR threads because you hate the very existence of VR, almost as if it's somehow a danger to the planet that we need to get rid of, so I can't exactly expect much worth from your comments since they're all pretty laughable.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
You can dislike it all you like, but if Valve are in top form with this, they'd have a killer game on their hands, and not just in VR terms. Then again, you like to troll each of these VR threads because you hate the very existence of VR, almost as if it's somehow a danger to the planet that we need to get rid of, so I can't exactly expect much worth from your comments since they're all pretty laughable.

Lmao what a reaction from one sentence.

Just stop - you dont need to force everyone to like something you like.

Not everyone is gonna like everything you or I like - and that is okay.

I like Half-Life so if I put my two cents on another aspect in the topic, so be it. Dont like it? Just ignore it.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Lmao what a reaction from one sentence.

This isn't about liking it or not. This is about you blatantly trolling every thread on the topic and saying "Ha ha! VR should die!" or in this case "Yuck!"

It's getting old. It's all you do, and it adds nothing. It's the definition of trolling.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
As I said before, I'm principally a console gamer. I played Half Life 2:2 on 360, along with Portal 1/2 and L4D1/2. They are all such excellent games. I'd definitely get a PC if Valve released anything similar, and if VR was not required.

I thought Artifact was dead and buried. Could be thinking of something else, though.
artifact is dead and buried indeed. Dota underlords has lost majority of its initial playerbase too. Valves recent trackrecord aint too hot.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
This isn't about liking it or not. This is about you blatantly trolling every thread on the topic and saying "Ha ha! VR should die!" or in this case "Yuck!"

It's getting old. It's all you do, and it adds nothing. It's the definition of trolling.

This is about liking or not liking it. I like Half-Life and I dont like VR which both are relevant to the topic at hand.

I want a Half-Life game but not VR, expressing my opinion in this regard is okay.

Its wrong if I go onto every VR thread and say stupid stuff like "Ha Ha! VR should die!" which I dont do.

Stop acting like all high and mighty especially when you are backseat moderating and putting unnecessary words into my mouth.

I've told you this before but - Please dont bother responding to my posts again here or anywhere because its easy to tell what your agenda is.

---

Also

If what I say is offensive, you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This is about liking or not liking it. I like Half-Life and I dont like VR which both are relevant to the topic at hand.

I want a Half-Life game but not VR, expressing my opinion in this regard is okay.
Yes, that part is perfectly fine except you're doing it in a demeaning way that has become the norm for you. Doing it once or twice is one thing, but doing this in nearly every related thread you post in? That definitely is trolling, because it's a consistent characterisation that adds nothing to the topic except to derail in it in some way.

Its wrong if I go onto every VR thread and say stupid stuff like "Ha Ha! VR should die!" which I dont do.
I've seen you do this numerous times in different wordings that all boil down to something of this calibre.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I knew 3D was gonna fail in the gaming industry.

Hopefully I will be right with VR as well.
This is about Valve pursuing the most innovative technology to come out of the games industry since the Nintendo 64, and you treating it like a joke and wanting it to fail. I get it, you dislike that VR takes away development cycles for traditional gaming. But maybe save the hateful remarks like "Hopefully VR fails like 3D" for things that actually harm consumers, whether it be exploiting them for their addictive personalities or whatever.

I wonder if the "big 3 VR" games are just gonna be VR versions of Half-Life 2, L4D2 and Portal 2 lol.
You said this a year ago, and it looks like Valve exceeded your expectations. Your lol suggests you were ready to be impressed if they released an original VR dedicated game. Yet here you are, angry they're not catering to you.

It's fine to be angry, but I wish people like you could take the high road and be a little happier for VR adopters when good things come to us. VR gets a bad rap for having small games, and a VR-dedicated Valve game is the perfect opportunity to prove its potential is merely limited not by an inherent flaw in the tech, but by development funds.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The idea this would follow an established character who's story was left unfinished for over 10 years seems unlikely to me. If this were ever to happen I would expect it to be a spin off. Not a prequel. That way they can continue to act like HL2 and it's episodes don't exist.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
This is about Valve pursuing the most innovative technology to come out of the games industry since the Nintendo 64, and you treating it like a joke

Sweet summer child, if you think my posts are treating VR like a joke, I hope you dont go outside of this forum and see what people really say about VR.

I get it, you dislike that VR takes away development cycles for traditional gaming.

No, there's far worse things that do that then VR - i.e. Artifact which again is irrelevant because there's plenty of games out there to play.

You said this a year ago, and it looks like Valve exceeded your expectations. Your lol suggests you were ready to be impressed if they released an original VR dedicated game. Yet here you are, angry they're not catering to you. It's fine to be angry, but I wish people like you could take the high road and be a little happier for VR adopters when good things come to us.

lol what - you want me to congratulate you guys when a new VR announcement occurs? Why would anyone do that (and I ask this not just in VR but in general, its like you want me to congratulate sports gamers for the annual football or basketball game that is released).

Why would I be angry or consider Valve exceeding my expectations? I honestly dont care how the gaming industry or Valve themselves goes.

Sure - I'd prefer a new game/sequel than a VR version of already existing games which is what my post you quoted was a reference to which is the truth, no shame in admitting that.

If they release a VR only game that's story was exclusive to that specific game, big whoop.

I've skipped out on FFXI and FFXIV because its online and a MMO only , despite being a huge FF fan and playing all other games in the series - so dont worry, I'll live, plenty of other games to play.

VR gets a bad rap for having small games, and a VR-dedicated Valve game is the perfect opportunity to prove its potential is merely limited not by an inherent flaw in the tech, but by development funds.

Okay.

Well I wish them the best if that is their end goal.

Also looks like I have quite a lot of fans who like to stalk my posts. Very interesting ;) - but seriously, y'all need to accept the fact that not everyone is gonna like what you all like and like I said, its okay. There's things that I like that many people dont like for an example Star Ocean Till The End of Time I still consider is the best game in the Star Ocean series but I know majority of the fanbase prefers SO1 or SO2 and think SO3 is terrible, and I am okay with that.

You cant expect all members of a fanbase to accept everything that a developer or publisher does - its common for an entire fanbase to be strongly different in their opinions.

If my comments hurt you in any way because of my opinion of a service/product , you need to re-evaluate yourself and ponder on what an opinion is.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Man this BasilZero person is kind of condescending. I feel like they should just leave the thread of they 1) don't like vr and 2) get that upset when people call them out for being so consistently negative. Even if they feel like they've been wronged, this is the internet. Maybe they should just take their perceived high road and ignore their perceived low road.

Anyway I'm fucking excited about this. It'll get me to buy into VR.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Sweet summer child, if you think my posts are treating VR like a joke, I hope you dont go outside of this forum and see what people really say about VR.
It doesn't matter what other people say when you are already wishing it to die. You're all on the same bandwagon to varying degrees, but quite frankly people who want it to literally die are among the worst. It's like wanting personal computers to die and consoles alongside them. Yes, that means no personal computing and no gaming, because VR is both a medium (like gaming) and a computing platform (like PCs). It's also one that you know, saves lives and improves the state of the world, so you're wishing a lot of good will away here just because you want a few more traditional video games on top of the thousands you already have.

No, there's far worse things that do that then VR - i.e. Artifact which again is irrelevant because there's plenty of games out there to play.
Stating 'no' here would imply you don't dislike it, which clearly isn't the case. Anyway if you're using the case that there are plenty of games out there to play, why should VR die at all? Your reasoning was more traditional games.

lol what - you want me to congratulate you guys when a new VR announcement occurs? Why would anyone do that (and I ask this not just in VR but in general, its like you want me to congratulate sports gamers for the annual football or basketball game that is released).
No one said anything about congratulating. He just wants you to improve your state of mind on the topic. Dislike it, fine. Wanting it to die? It's completely illogical, and in actuality you'll gain more from a future where VR exists that you never touch - because it will advance certain aspects of gaming much faster - aspects that you'll reap the benefits of.

You cant expect all members of a fanbase to accept everything that a developer or publisher does - its common for an entire fanbase to be strongly different in their opinions.

If my comments hurt you in any way because of my opinion of a service/product , you need to re-evaluate yourself and ponder on what an opinion is.
There's a difference between saying "Xbox should die" and "I don't like Xbox". One hurts the industry, literally, and the other is a matter of taste.

And clearly no one is hurt by your comments, but you're jumping on a hate bandwagon that has been normalized over the last few years, where people want VR to die for X illogical reason (all reasons for this are illogical) which in turn hurts the reception of VR.

The reception of VR can at times be abysmal because it's the most misunderstood thing in gaming right now. There are many dozens of myths and lies that people eat up like candy, because people often believe whatever they read - including professional journalists.

Mar 29, 2018
Thank you to everyone who enjoyed the writeup, I'll probably make one or two more edits for clarity & posterity. Tyler's livestreams are chock full of good stuff and he's a very entertaining personality, I recommend them heartily.

F-Stop was the original Portal 2, which got very far into development. It was based around a new game mechanic where you could take photos of in-game objects and use the photos to place the objects in other locations on the map, using 2D->3D perspective as the mind-bending twist. When it reached the playtesting stage, Valve realized that players expected a Portal game to use the original game's mechanics. Famously, Gabe Newell slapped his forehead at a company meeting and exclaimed "we made a Portal game without portals!" They then redesigned and rewrote the game from the ground up into a more traditional sequel. Valve sat on the F-Stop mechanic and kept a tight lid in case they ever wanted to use it again, but they missed their chance as Superliminal is coming (as an Epic exclusive, no less) and is a blatant appropriation of the concept. Tyler McVicker has a modding group who have been working on a "what could have been" F-Stop mod that seems pretty cool.

Yeah, that stuck out to me as I was writing it up... I just chalked it up to an honest mistake during a grueling Q&A session. It's not like he didn't then discuss at length about how much Valve was investing in Linux.

HLVR is 90% complete.
Thanks for the info, I read all about F-Stop but no one actually described the mechanic. Now gonna check out Superliminal.

Mar 29, 2018

Huh? One of the newest VR systems - the Oculus Quest, the first ever wireless standalone one - is selling millions more than any other and is re-energising the market. I don't get how "what people really say about VR" changes that.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018

Why would I be angry or consider Valve exceeding my expectations? I honestly dont care how the gaming industry or Valve themselves goes.

Sure - I'd prefer a new game/sequel than a VR version of already existing games which is what my post you quoted was a reference to which is the truth, no shame in admitting that.

If they release a VR only game that's story was exclusive to that specific game, big whoop.

I've skipped out on FFXI and FFXIV because its online and a MMO only , despite being a huge FF fan and playing all other games in the series - so dont worry, I'll live, plenty of other games to play.

Okay.

Also looks like I have quite a lot of fans who like to stalk my posts. Very interesting ;) - but seriously, y'all need to accept the fact that not everyone is gonna like what you all like and like I said, its okay. There's things that I like that many people dont like for an example Star Ocean Till The End of Time I still consider is the best game in the Star Ocean series but I know majority of the fanbase prefers SO1 or SO2 and think SO3 is terrible, and I am okay with that.

You are too serious and a joke at the same time. :D
VR is doing great, so I don't need to defend it on some forum, it defends itself. :)

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I look forward to reading about how awesome this is by people who have the Valve VR shit.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
I'm pretty cynical about this release schedule, what with ValveTime and all.
To paraphrase an earlier quote by Mcvicker , "Valve, we make games but don't finish them".

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017

Okay.

It doesn't hurt me and it isn't stalking, it's research so I don't have to ask you personally about your feelings on VR, only for you to sugar-coat them.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steam Controller 2.0?
  • Better haptics.
  • Concave shoulder buttons.
  • Index controller triggers and finger tracking.
  • Built-in color screen a la the Dreamcast.
Oh fuck I'd be totally down for all of this. Give me 4 paddles instead of two and make them part of the controller itself rather than part of the battery cover and that'll be an instant improvement over the first one.

Not sure why they're including a screen this time when they dropped it the first time around, but I guess they must've found a good reason to add it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Valve remembered that they used to make games, eh? I honestly think they have damaged their IP's due to their inactivity, but this is still pretty huge. I will look forward to hearing how this turns out (though I will likely never play it as I am not buying another headset until PSVR2 and I doubt this game will ever release on that).