• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Gadamn its gonna be amazing.

Like many, I won't be able to run out and play this without making a big purchase. However, you get a few things like this out there and a pc vr set starts looking like a better and better purchase.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
But can you imagine the backlash if this were Half-Life 3 and it were VR only?

They used HL2 to make Steam happen.

I kind of assumed they'd use HL3 to make VR happen.

Maybe they're going to...
20rl7v.jpg

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very excited to see what this is. VR needs more big budget releases.
Those of you concerned about the price of the index, I'm sure this will work fine on WMR devices, or you can pick up a used CV1 rift for like $150~200 these days.

Oct 26, 2017
"VR has no games!"
*tons of games are made*
"VR has no AAA games!"
*AAA games are made*
"VR has no system sellers!"
*Valve releases Half-Life VR*
"What the hell, why should I buy VR for just one game?"

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy the non-VR port begging begins. Look, I get some people not wanting to use a VR headset, but Valve wants to push this thing as a VR killer app, a non-VR mode would defeat the purpose. They have the luxury of taking a risk on this. A non-VR version ain't happening.

And besides, the potential for innovative FPS gameplay is absolutely nuts in VR. Just look at what's being done in Boneworks, for crying out loud.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Damn, this sounds amazing.

I'm seriously on the fence right now about whether or not I should buy an Oculus Quest with the Link cable. Is this a smarter idea than outright purchasing a Rift instead? Tetherless VR does appeal to me also. Does the link cable kind of make the Rift obsolete?

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
"VR has no games!"
*tons of games are made*
"VR has no AAA games!"
*AAA games are made*
Sadly this is all too true, and it definitely does come from the same people quite often. It's moving the goalposts to avoid justifying having to spend money.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
LMFAO if the next official game after a decade long, unexplained hiatus and failed promises of "3 episodes" (I'm not angry here, it's just ironic) is a PREQUEL. But hey, I'm fucking excited if this is true. It is known one of the Episode 1/2 writers returned to Valve last year, and much of their dialogue is what's on display in those episodes, so they can write the characters with authenticity. I hope Marc Laidlaw might've at least been a correspondent on it, despite his retirement.

EDIT: Oh. Valve News Network. Yeeaaah, now i'm not so sure. I followed some of their coverage extensively. To their credit they landed an inside-office interview with Gabe Newell and co. less than 2 years ago iirc, and had them fully explain what life at Valve is like... but they have a history of REACHING when they find circumstantial "Half Life" related files in game updates that often happened to be the programmers just making goofy shit in their engine for fun.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Oh boy the non-VR port begging begins. Look, I get some people not wanting to use a VR headset, but Valve wants to push this thing as a VR killer app, a non-VR mode would defeat the purpose. They have the luxury of taking a risk on this. A non-VR version ain't happening.

And besides, the potential for innovative FPS gameplay is absolutely nuts in VR. Just look at what's being done in Boneworks, for crying out loud.
Not only would it defeat the purpose, it would just be outright impossible with a level of physics as seen in Boneworks, which HLVR would bank on pushing.

Not just the core gameplay loops, but every interaction with NPCs - and by extension the story, means that everything relies on the player being in VR with the agency that VR provides. Get rid of that and it's a guarantee for all the game systems to break. This is why a port cannot happen, and would require a fan spinoff or retooling of the game's assets and new gameplay created from scratch.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's the logical place to take the franchise. Half Life has always pushed boundaries in gaming, and VR allows them to do that again, arguably even more than they have done previously.
Oh sure, I get it from a business perspective for Valve, would just be incredibly disappointing as someone who dislikes VR.

That being said, the VR would probably bother me less than it being a prequel. Just the thought of that after all these years is...wild lmao

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
How am I supposed to play a VR game with a toddler? Even after he goes to bed I need to listen/look out for the baby monitor. I'd have to be VRing after my wife goes to bed so I'd be on baby monitor duty. Might be a good few years before I get to play it :( But I have an amazing toddler so :) But Half-Life :( Argh.

VR is so cumbersome and anti-social come to think of it. Even if it's a wonderfully awesome and immersive experience.

It's not bolted to your face can lift it up every few minutes. They also have cameras you can activate to see in front of you if you need it. Also can run sound through whatever you want no police will arrest you for not using headphones or headphones with one ear off also if you like.

What is meant by locomotion options? Keyboard and Mouse movement? I really don't like teleport movement used for VR fps games.

Like any other game touchpads on the Vive and analog sticks on the Oculus and Index.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Oh sure, I get it from a business perspective for Valve, would just be incredibly disappointing as someone who dislikes VR.

That being said, the VR would probably bother me less than it being a prequel. Just the thought of that after all these years is...wild lmao
You seem to be pretty excited about Cyberpunk and probably other immersive games? Not sure why you dislike VR so much considering Cyberpunk itself could be wonderfully immersive in VR in a way we haven't seen yet.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer they are pushing VR hard, heavily limiting the game's potential in the process.

Bummer they're pushing the N64 so hard as opposed to also releasing it on the SNES, heavily limiting the games potential in the process.

Okay, so the analogy isn't perfect, as VR is even further away from flat gaming than the SNES was from the N64, but you get the point.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I like that Valve is pursuing more niche products. I'll definitely dust off my Vive for this. But I guarantee that even after releasing this people will say "Valve doesn't make games".

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's not bolted to your face can lift it up every few minutes. They also have cameras you can activate to see in front of you if you need it. Also can run sound through whatever you want no police will arrest you for not using headphones or headphones with one ear off also if you like.

Like any other game touchpads on the Vive and analog sticks on the Oculus and Index.
I currently wear headphones when I game as I prefer the immersion to even my 7.1 setup. But the baby video monitor lights up if he makes a noise and I see it straight away. Yeah I could do all of those things with not wearing headphones or using a camera etc but probably not ideal really. And "every few minutes" doesn't work with a little one and would be awful parenting.

Need a wifi baby monitor that can send instant notifications to my PC and therefore display on the headset, I'm going on the hunt.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Very intrigued.

Couple of questions however with no agenda I promise, but just genuine interest to understand the chances of this rumour being true:

How much of the Half-Life and Portal talent is still at Valve?

Has anyone done any LinkedIn stalking to see how many game programmers/producers/artists/designers/etc are currently working for Valve? Do they have a big enough team right now to actually be working on a major AAA title like this?

How am I supposed to play a VR game with a toddler? Even after he goes to bed I need to listen/look out for the baby monitor. I'd have to be VRing after my wife goes to bed so I'd be on baby monitor duty. Might be a good few years before I get to play it :( But I have an amazing toddler so :) But Half-Life :( Argh.

VR is so cumbersome and anti-social come to think of it. Even if it's a wonderfully awesome and immersive experience.

Valve has 300+ employees and most of the game development team is likely fixated on HLVR right now. It's been in development for 4 years, and just as a quick comparison, Death Stranding was made in less time with about 80? people.

As for your situation, you could set up a camera feed and overlay a virtual screen into your game, either as a toggle or as a persistent screen that you can turn to. It's not ideal, but it will be ideal once you can get a true mixed reality setup in the near future like so:

VR isn't anti-social, it's just potentially (not always, it's a conscious choice), isolating right now, which as the above shows, can be vastly improved in the future.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
"VR has no games!"
*tons of games are made*
"VR has no AAA games!"
*AAA games are made*

*Valve releases the other 2 AAA VR games*

I currently wear headphones when I game as I prefer the immersion to even my 7.1 setup. But the baby video monitor lights up if he makes a noise and I see it straight away. Yeah I could do all of those things with not wearing headphone or using a camera etc but probably not ideal really.

Need a wifi baby monitor that can send notifications to my PC and therefore display on the headset, I'm going on the hunt.

I mean they have overlays that show Twitch chat on your hand why not one that gives you a notification from a baby monitor. If there isn't one someone should make one.

Edit: What Darth said is pretty good idea as well.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It sure would have been nice if Valve had changed its stance on locomotion early on during the Index controller development. Maybe we would have had the analog stick placed in a more natural position anlong with sticks that click properly in all directions.

Mar 29, 2018
I'll never get VR, will it have a none VR mode?
Almost 100% no on that front..

Games designed for you to use your hands and body in real life terms in a physical space cannot be "ported" to pancake control input. Not without redesigning literally everything from the ground up.

Then I'm never going to play it, because I physically cannot play VR games. Unless someone ports it into HL2.
Not terribly unlikely. I can imagine a ton of fan made efforts will spring up to de-VR the game.

Although it'll probably be boring as hell, because in hand tracked VR stuff as simple as reloading becomes an engaging mechanic. Remapping that to a button press would trivialise a lot of what makes these experiences great.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there is any truth to this then fuck yes!

Has there been any news about the release of Boneworks yet?

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The prequel part is arguably the most believable part IMO. I think they're aware of the kind of backlash they'd face if HL3 was VR only.
I'm not even sure if it's that, but rather just disagreements with the script and the fact that technically the Epistle 3 script was revealed.

If Half Life 3 is ever going to be a thing, it will still be a VR game in all likelihood because once you've put the series into VR with HLVR, it's always going to feel like a step back in advancement if it's a standard game. Valve are known to be researching BCIs as a form of game input, so that could be something they are banking on 10 years from now as he next push for VR and Half Life, or maybe haptic gloves or something else.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Does VNN have any kind of credibility? Isn't their track record really, really bad? (I may be confusing them with somebody else, though!).

Nevertheless: Sure, it would be wild and awesome if all this is true. Also, a bit of a kick in the nuts for Boneworks.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aperture Hand Lab is hilarious and made me want another Valve game even more. It's a showcase for the Valve Index controllers to show new users what the devices are capable of, and was developed by Cloudhead Games and published by Valve a few months ago. It takes place in the Portal universe and has various personality cores asking you to do specific gestures with your hands (the personality core at the 4:28 mark being my favorite). I really want a full VR game from Valve using these controllers with the quality of writing Valve is known for.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Well it's going to bomb then.

If it can be one of the best VR games and stay that way for a few years, it'll likely enjoy a high attach rate with PC headsets out there now as well as those sold in the future.

And the sales of headsets are going to jump up. With more good games and lower prices, it can't be any other way.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Is on schedule (as far as we know) to release in 2019 with a near simultaneous reveal and launch."

Lmao. Valve stealth releasing a Half-Life game seems like a bad idea. They should give it a few months of hype.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
"Is on schedule (as far as we know) to release in 2019 with a near simultaneous reveal and launch."

Lmao. Valve stealth releasing a Half-Life game seems like a bad idea. They should give it a few months of hype.
Imagine if it actually released on the Steam store, advertised to everyone just out of the blue. That would be hysterical and would break the Internet, which would help serve as hype.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure if it's that, but rather just disagreements with the script and the fact that technically the Epistle 3 script was revealed.

If Half Life 3 is ever going to be a thing, it will still be a VR game in all likelihood because once you've put the series into VR with HLVR, it's always going to feel like a step back in advancement if it's a standard game. Valve are known to be researching BCIs as a form of game input, so that could be something they are banking on 10 years from now as he next push for VR and Half Life, or maybe haptic gloves or something else.
Can't wait to control half life 3 with my mind

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is true, I'm going to need to buy a VR set for this. I'm afraid of the price of it in Brazil.

Also if it's true and it's amazing (as in Valve setting a new standard like they did with Half-Life 1 and 2) you can bet that there will be a shift for AAA games made for VR.