• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I don't know why anyone is asking for a 1080p screen. Lots of undocked games can't even hit 720p. Let's make sure the Switch is powerful enough to have most of its titles reach that resolution before asking for a screen upgrade, IMO.
i ts just fanboy dreams

Imagine 1080p screen with lots of sub native games and awful battery XD

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting current Switch games to run at 720p/1080p native resolutions in handheld/docked modes respectively. It's 2019. We shouldn't be playing 480p games in handheld and 720p games when docked on large screen 4k displays.

Basically people desire different things. No one is asking for an Xbox One X level system or even a standard Xbox One level system. Just native resolutions of WiiU level visuals. I don't think that's too much to ask for for a $300 device.
if that's all you want sure, but there are people hoping for MORE than that, they will be disappointed if Switch pro won't come out with a beautiful 1080p screen and many ports of Xbox One games

As for the resolution, Switch was the most powerful thing released at launch some people have trouble adjusting to the sacrifices necessary to port current gen games to a little tablet device , New model should help with that just lets not expect miracles until Switch 2

Oct 29, 2017
Possibly a post for a different thread, but assuming this is real, is the system transfer process as mind bending as the 3DS?

Say I sell my launch month Switch for this pro model. Do I just log in with my Nintendo account, and all's good (minus the few games that don't do cloud saves)?

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Possibly a post for a different thread, but assuming this is real, is the system transfer process as mind bending as the 3DS?

Say I sell my launch month Switch for this pro model. Do I just log in with my Nintendo account, and all's good (minus the few games that don't do cloud saves)?

I sold my Switch in early June for $200 in anticipation of a E3 Switch pro announcement. I regret it, I wish I would have waited a bit even if I would have gotten $150 as a trade/sell price.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the process of owning two Switches now? Like let's say I got a portable and a pro, if the OS stayed the same as it is now how doable is it to jump back and forth?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if that's all you want sure, but there are people hoping for MORE than that, they will be disappointed if Switch pro won't come out with a beautiful 1080p screen and many ports of Xbox One games

As for the resolution, Switch was the most powerful thing released at launch some people have trouble adjusting to the sacrifices necessary to port current gen games to a little tablet device , New model should help with that just lets not expect miracles until Switch 2

People expecting a 1080p screen are living in cloud cuckoo land. The battery would barely last two hours lol.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I go back and forth on the 1080p screen thing. I mean there are a lot of 2D/indie titles that could easily run at 1080p without killing the battery. Of course there are also plenty of titles that already run at 900p as well

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I definitely prefer a 720p screen because it's the best for scaling pixel art and retro games. If you have a 240p game (e.g. NES*, SNES*, Genesis*, arcade archives), it's a simple 3x scale, and everything lines up perfectly with the pixel grid of the screen. Shovel Knight and Sonic Mania look absolutely perfect on the portable screen, for example.

If the Switch had a 1080p screen, 240p content would need a 4.5x zoom, and nobody seems to implement that properly. Even watching Nintendo's own Super Mario Maker 2, I spotted some shimmering while the screen was scrolling due to the uneven pixel grid.

(*Yes I know about the 8x7 stretched to 4x3 thing, but even just having one axis correct is great.)

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

You have to deactivate the old Switch amd activate the new one, but the deactivation can happen from the website. Not 100% sure if it automatically downloads cloud saves or if you have to tell it to.

That said, if you do have both systems present, you can move data between systems locally, even if cloud saves aren't supported. Can either be done with the full account or individual saves. Just keep in mind it's a move, not a copy.
What's the process of owning two Switches now? Like let's say I got a portable and a pro, if the OS stayed the same as it is now how doable is it to jump back and forth?
I don't have first hand experience, but it seems possible. The non-primary system probably can't venture too far from an Internet connection, and you'll have to manually move data back and forth for non cloud save games, but it looks mostly fine outside of those on paper.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7nm seems unlikely, and is there any question nvidia isn't sticking with TSMC? They're the ones manufacturing it, not Nintendo.
Nvidia will be moving to Samsung's 7nm rather than TSMC's . but that's for Ampere. Mariko might still be with TSMC since it's to be made this year

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Very underwhelming if true, was hoping their Pro variant would be a little beefy. Will wait and see, its all conjecture at this point.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I would hope the Pro variant is more beefy. Why release it if its mostly the same? To replace the normal Switch?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
If it's on a smaller process, that means they can, and most likely will, crank up the clocks.
I hope the Pro model is a console only version, with the lighter model being handheld. Surely there is a market for both? I would just love to see Zelda,, Metroid etc in much better fidelity for once.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the Pro model is a console only version, with the lighter model being handheld. Surely there is a market for both? I would just love to see Zelda,, Metroid etc in much better fidelity for once.

All reports suggest the pro is a hybrid with a similar form factor to the original.

It really makes no sense for Nintendo to drop the proven, highly successful hybrid model in favor of two separate devices again.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
1) I think one of the news outlets said not to expect a Vita sized Switch, so I can't picture even a Switch money fitting in a pocket

2) 1080p on a 6" screen is a waste of battery power and resources. Better to use the GPU power for 720p with extra details and features like lighting and shadows, etc.

3) To get 5-8 hours of battery life, they'd likely have to shrink the TX1 and keep the clock speeds close to the same of the current Switch.
They could do that on handheld. I imagine if the handheld ends up getting OG docked switch clock speeds, it will also have the lower power OG swithc portable clock speeds.. and we'll at least get 1.5x as much battery life. 1080p screen likely won't happen, and as you said, waste of battery and resources.

Is it going down to just 14nm or is it 10/7nm?
It's likely 12nm, but could be 16nm for all we know. 7nm isn't happening if its coming out this year. Nvidia won't have 7nmmass produced till next year