• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
evil-dead-evil-basement-chick.jpg

I put "remake" in quotes because this part is unnecessarily complicated, as is par for the course for the Evil Dead franchise. The creators of the 2013 Evil Dead movie say its a reboot of the franchise, a remake of the original, and a direct sequel to the original film all at once. That being said, the film still succeeds at what it intended to do. The original film has not aged all that well, especially when compared to it's vastly superior "sequel" The Evil Dead 2. The 2013 remake managed to be better in almost every single aspect than the original, and actually manages to make the franchise's signature comedically over the top gore actually frightening. The production value is insane and all of the characters are actually well developed with a story that goes to absolutely insane places. I would say the closest contender is 2017's IT remake, which is fantastic, but the original IT TV movie is still considered a flawed yet classic horror movie while the original Evil Dead aged far worse and benefitted more from a franchise reboot.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
v1.bTsxMTE2ODg5NTtqOzE4MDM5OzEyMDA7ODAwOzEyMDA

I honestly didn't enjoy the Evil Dead remake. To me it felt like Evil Dead except without all of the campy charm, which to me takes away a ton of its appeal.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like how off the rails it gets towards the end. It feels like a different take on that over the top camp.

But The Thing and The Fly are probably better.

Edit: How could I forget The Blob?

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Shout-outs to The Hills Have Eyes (2006) by Alexandre Aja.

Otherwise yeah, The Thing, The Fly and recently Suspiria are all excellent.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The fact Evil Dead 2 tops OP's suggestion is quite funny.

Also yes, The Thing.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
blob-01.jpg

The Blob (1988)

giphy.gif

A remake of a horror flick from the 50's about exactly what its title sounds like, a giant unstoppable killer blob of acidic goo. A script from Frank Darabont (The Mist, The Shawshank Redemption) brought to life with some incredible SFX work including ample and creative gore and kills. A film that was unafraid to kill off the would be hero in brutal fashion as well one of the rare few to off children along with the adults in all manner of creatively gross and gory scenes with some being genuinely tense such as an escape through half flooded sewers hiding the blob just underneath the water while others are darkly humorous like a make out session gone awry.

acc7fffe1c949204670c08c0fe200cbd.gif

Its a great flick that I like to show to groups of people for horror movie nights. Its got that nebulous watchability quality and is something I'm always down to watch. Some other highlights are an entire scene in a movie theater that quickly escalates while the audience is totally unaware until its too late. Another being an ill fated attempt to clean out a drain. If you like your movies gory, funny and willing to go the extra mile on the kills then check out The Blob.

JitteryConcreteDogfish-size_restricted.gif

NaughtyWeirdGoldeneye-size_restricted.gif

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Tbh there are tons of good remakes. Obviously The Thing, The Fly, Dawn of the Dead, Hills Have Eyes.

Not a popular opinion but I really like the Texas chainsaw massacre remake a ton.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I watched the Evil Dead remake not knowing it was even related to the Evil Dead movies ( I know it has the same name but it wasn't on my mind at all) Only when the humor part of the movie happened I realized it, it felt like they were imitating the humor and not really getting it as well.

The Evil Dead TV show however is amazing, there were rumors of the movie and show crossing over at one point with the lead showing up in later seasons but sadly, Starz canceled one of it's best shows because it didn't enough ratings.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
The Thing, The Fly, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (78), are the holy trifecta of horror remakes.

Evil Dead 2013 is aight I guess. It has a good style and the beginning and ending are pretty good, but it's not nearly as good as any of the Raimi movies.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, all the good ones are taken. Unlike other genres, horror has had really good luck with remakes:

Evil Dead
The Thing
The Blob
The Fly
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Hills Have Eyes
The Last House on the Left
I Spit on your Grave
Piranha
Dawn of the Dead
Let Me In
Halloween (if you're in the mood for it)

Even some of the remakes of the real campy Castle-type movies ended up being a fun enough watch:

The House on Haunted Hill
House of Wax
13 Ghosts

Last edited:

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I, honestly, didn't remotely enjoy it. Saw it in the cinema and just thought it lacked the spirit of the originals, too po-faced, and too "of the time" in terms of horror films. Was disappointing.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The Thing
The Fly
The Blob
Hills Have Eyes
TCM 2003
I Spit on Your Grave
The Ring
Dawn of the Dead
Suspiria

Those would be the only ones I'd put over Evil Dead.

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Thing is a top ten movie for me. I like the Evil Dead remake but I can watch The Thing all day.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's a solid remake and a pretty good movie that I enjoyed, but it's no John Carpenter's The Thing. The 2017 IT remake is also better.