• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
The Thing - The Fly - Evil Dead - NOTLD90

First two are better than the originals, the second two are just great movies.

source.gif

Last edited:

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Haha, what? This movie isn't even that good and has nothing even to the first ED movie, not to mention ED2 - which pretty much already is a remake of the first ED - and AoD... And there are many way better horror remakes than this unoriginal piece of a movie :
The Thing (1982),
The Fly,
The Blob,
Dawn of the Dead (no better than the original, but as a standalone movie is way better than ED remake)
The Invasion of the Body Snatchers,
The Hills Have Eyes

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
It was decent but as far as recent horror remakes go Maniac, Suspiria and It (if you can count that) were better.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not even close. The Thing, Invasion of the body snatchers, The Fly, etc. I think I even liked the fright night remake more.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I enjoy the evil dead remake after rewatching all 3 films I actually enjoyed the original the most.
It's always been the best, tree sex notwithstanding. Really don't know why they had to do that, but it definitely shocked me the first time around.

Excluding the already said obvious ones, I think dawn of the dead and the hills have eyes are great remakes too.
You know, outside of The Thing, The Hills Have Eyes is probably "most improved" considering how fantastic the remake is versus the original's total mediocrity. The remake goes places, Aja is a fucking king.

Shit, Piranha too for that matter. Underrated creature feature classic.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Cat People, just to throw another film into the discussion.

(The Thing is the one to beat though)

Oct 27, 2017
I think The Ring (US, 2002) is one of the best horror remakes. It builds on the original because the imagery is a lot more creepy and intense and it has a much higher quality of cinematography and filmmaking. It's a shame that both its sequels were utter shite, while the Japanese Ring 2 is actually really good and much more scary than its predecessor.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whoa whoa, WHOA! I agree with all of the above (let's also include The Blob) but the bolded part... let's not get too crazy my friend.
Should have clarified. I don't think the fright night remake is even close to being as good as the original, I meant that I remember enjoying it more than the evil dead remake.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
There is not enough Invasion of the Body Snatchers love in this thread.

I would personally put it above The Thing.
So would rotten tomatoes.
And so should everyone else.

It's an amazing remake that had an amazing original too.

That is all

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Also regarding The Thing.

Does anyone else get giddy when they see Laurie look at "The Thing From Another World" in the first Halloween?
I thiiiiiink they even show the opening titles for it.

And knowing Carpenter went on to direct The Thing after this just makes me silly happy. Like a little easter egg of what to come.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Evil Dead 2013 is a pretty fun remake of the original, yeah.

As others have said, i'd rank it behind The Thing, The Fly, and The Blob. All good company to keep IMO.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I agree, incredible fucking movie. The Thing is amazing too but I have 0 love for the original so the remake aspect is lost on me.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Huh...didn't know NOTLD90 is considered good. Seems to be on Netflix here, will watch it later.

The Blob is my absolute favorite kind of horror movie, great effects and creative deaths. Movie that is similar to it that I enjoyed as much is Slither.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I agree it was a great film. I saw it at least 5 times already. The special effects were top notch. Mia was a perfect cast. Where's my sequel??

(PS I still need to see Suspiria at some point.)

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Maniac was also a solid remake.
Agreed. I loved the grime and grit of the original, but the remake makes up for that with its uncompromising perspective. While most "first person/POV" movies tend to be action flicks aping the imagery of video games, Maniac uses the perspective to bring us uncomfortably close to the protagonist. Maniac's storytelling has an unsettling inescapable immediacy; the violence trades the original's excess for a sense of gross raw snuff-film brutality, horrifically enhanced thanks to the intimate view. I think it has some of the most uncomfortable violence I've seen since that scene in Zodiac.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. It was alright. You just had Cabin in the Woods kinda take the piss a few years before, and the first 2/3 of the remake was almost laughably rote when you look at it in that context. Would have been interesting to see them connect it with the series, but the remake is only above adequate in a vacuum where you don't have the original, the sequel/remake we already got, and CITW pre-emptively bulldozing the genre/conceit

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's funny because I felt like Evil Dead (2013) did that.

This thread has been awesome though. I definitely need to see The Blob now (and NOTLD90). I should rewatch IT sometime too.

Oh I like the Evil Dead Remake because of that. Just wouldn't say it's the best remake. I was more thinking of all those other super lame horror remakes that really offer nothing. Texas Chainsaw, Friday 13th etc.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
While I've personally enjoyed the Evil Dead 2013, I agree with the others that I would put The Thing above it.