• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
DBFZ playerand Yohosie and CEOgaming COS took to twitter to report some misgivings that have been happening at EVO 2019.

They also only had 4 metal detectors at entrances, and eventually just gave up checking people because the line was too long, which I think is a pretty major security concern for a public event in the United States.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think Mandalay Bay of all places would have top of the line security staff

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is EVO always such a shit show? I cant imagine stuff that happens regularly at EVO happening at a CSGO major or Dota TI.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
swear man, every year there is always shit that happens at Evo..................human beings are disgusting.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think Mandalay Bay of all places would have top of the line security staff
If you've been to these places in Vegas for events, you wouldn't be surprised.

Why is EVO always such a shit show? I cant imagine stuff that happens regularly at EVO happening at a CSGO major or Dota TI.

You're kidding yourself if you think this is specifically because it's Evo and not because people in general can/are shit or that stuff like this doesn't happen at other events.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That shit happened during the Redbull party after EVO, right ?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017

Nobody should ever feel unsafe for being a part of the FGC. Last night during the Evo Red Bull after party, a man stuck his hand up my skirt and assaulted me. I turned to confront him, the guy got physically aggressive, and my friend jumped in to push him away. A fight ensued.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

You'd probably be surprised.

I place this more at the feet of Mandalay Bay than evo though. The after party there is just a public event held at a club within the same building that anyone can get into, so the usual bad and dangerous behaviors of club hopping and party going won't be stopped at the door.

I got roofied at a concert 3 years ago when my drink got mixed up with the drink of a couple girls I was talking to at the bar. No matter where you are, watch your drinks, people are scumbags.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I dunno. Everytime I hear about it, its usually awful stuff. There was the girl that beat some pros and got harassed. Along with the homophobic and transphobic stuff from a little while earlier.

Maybe I am confusing EVO with other pro fighting games drama though.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Shit like this happening routinely proves that people are trash
Is it too much to expect to attend a gaming event and not fear being sexually assaulted?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and eventually just gave up checking people because the line was too long,
The roofy thing is horrible enough but fuck sake all the crap that happens and this is what they fucking do?!?

Convenience should never take priority to peoples safety.

Fuck anyone who'd try to take advantage of people too.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds horrible, Jesus.

Re: the metal detectors and the wait; They did have a security line but the way it was setup EVO would have never started. Im all for security but at EVO everyone is carrying a lot of hardware and is constantly on the move so that particular security setup was never going to work. Communication between organizers and staff wasnt great so Exhibitors also had to go through long waits initially (which is ridiculous)

A lot of it , as far as organization goes, is growing pains. Turning EVO into a legit convention means theres going to be a lot of mistakes along the way

Oct 28, 2017
People trying to lay this on the FGC being the FGC, as if other gaming events don't have shit like this happening. Come on, kids. People are shitty everywhere, and we need to be watchful of it and stamp it out when it happens.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Had to look up in Google what roofied meant and jesus christ guys, why. Don't do that shit.

People trying to lay this on the FGC being the FGC, as if other gaming events don't have shit like this happening. Come on, kids. People are shitty everywhere, and we need to be watchful of it and stamp it out when it happens.

This, EVO was fantastic and this can and will happen in any other enviroment, let's not lambast FGC and the production for this.

Last edited:

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
That's disgusting. Can't say whether it's a problem with EVO but it's a problem, period. no-one should be harassed.

Is the use of date rape drugs a thing in America? it was a big deal when I was at uni but it seems to have died down in the UK.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Does EVO have any control over off site parties? Isn't this more on Red Bull?

The metal detector thing though, would that be on EVO or Mandalay Bay?

I honestly don't know how responsibility for security at these things breaks down.

Nov 30, 2018
Go to a doctor and get tested. Don't assume you got "roofied". Three drinks is enough for somebody who doesn't normally drink.

also report to the police and let the bar know.

As far as the rest go, those people putting hands up skirts deserve a punch to the face

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017

I feel like this is the take we get every time somebody from the FGC gets caught being a scumbag. I'm not saying it's indicative of the community as a whole, but shit like this isn't a time to circle wagons and cry whataboutism.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
And I'm starting to see why it was predominantly men. F*** the people doing this and the organizers for not cracking down.

Edit:
Just saw that it was at an after party. My statement stands.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's disgusting. Can't say whether it's a problem with EVO but it's a problem, period. no-one should be harassed.

Is the use of date rape drugs a thing in America? it was a big deal when I was at uni but it seems to have died down in the UK.

It doesn't strike me as an EVO-specific thing in as much as it's a Vegas party thing. I've never been to EVO, but just looking at rules it seems like they don't allow drinking in the event rooms. Not sure if that can apply to the Sunday stuff in the bigger auditoriums. I mean, it's Vegas so I know there's plenty of opportunities to get drinks literally anywhere else. I also don't know how much control EVO has on the after party stuff. Like, the Red Bull party is a partnered event so if there's regular issues with these there's probably an argument that can be made to not have those. There may also be an argument to not having these in Vegas. But I don't know the logistics of what alternative locations could be proposed that would also be safer.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
So the title and the OP post should be changed then. It happened after EVO, during an after party hosted by Redbull.

But yeah it's fucked up. Never go to a party without your friends.

The first tweet didn't mention the Red Bull party though. It could have been at any time during EVO.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
I feel like this is the take we get every time somebody from the FGC gets caught being a scumbag. I'm not saying it's indicative of the community as a whole, but shit like this isn't a time to circle wagons and cry whataboutism.
I mean you see this in any thread concerning a smash player. People like to blame a community instead of an individual asshole or harasser

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Yeah I have heard many stories of women accidentally or purposely being roofied. I mean these dudes are scum. Worse than cockroaches.

Friendly reminder (also for dudes) always hold your own drink and never accept open drinks from other folk. Except of those your truly trust.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I mean you see this in any thread concerning a smash player. People like to blame a community instead of an individual asshole or harasser

But we have to take into account both, right? The person engaged in the behavior and the community around that behavior--when things like this happen it's worth examining if your community has safeguards to keep shitty things like this from happening and is equipped to support the victims if and when it does happen.

And I mean I think the Smash community hasn't exactly come out smelling roses on incidents like this one. Didn't a lot of people rally around a dude accused of assault?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
This....sounds like a Vegas party unfortunately. It's a shame that people insist on ruining things like this for us.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I was roofied on a birthday party once. The crash comes quickly, and you don't have much time to react. I somehow got out of the club and bumbled against a tree. At that point, I could neither move nor speak. Your mind is trapped within your body. To everyone around, I must have looked like a drunk fool. Rest assured that had I been a woman, things would have taken a turn much more grim. They could have done with me whatever they wanted. People like this are disgusting, doesn't get much lower than that.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I would like to take the time to remind everyone that this particular type of crime is wildly underreported relative to the amount it happens. You cannot assume that there were a lot more than this, but statistically speaking the likelyhood is high that there were more incidents like this that will never come to light.

If you don't understand why people wouldn't speak out about this consider that a) not everyone has a platform and b) these kinds of crimes are notoriously difficult to prosecute, often being more traumatic to the victim in the process.