• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know the bit about them using AE, which makes sense, but that's just unfortunate timing.

Happy that ARMS had as many entrants as it did.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Smash with double the entrants of ARMS.

Nintendo's Switch eSports looking a bit rough.

I am hype for Guilty Gear and Tekken, though. SFV with the new version will be interesting as well.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How are the entrants compared to american evo?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Unsurprising for SFV being at the top again, and Smash being way lower in Japan. Nice to see GG that high too, fantastic game!
Really cool to see that, hopefully EVO Japan will work well!

edit for above:
01_evonum01.jpg

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
SFV is going to be a bloodbath. I can't wait. GG and Tekken should be really great, too.

Kashibaba

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad melee is not there, it's time smash fans let that game die and they start playing smash 4 or any other real fighting games, I mean CRT TVs in 2018 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

OP
OP
Joe2187

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
So can somebody with more knowledge let me know how the prize money works for the winners of each game? since there is no money in the prize pool from entrants, the money is funded by a developer or sponsor right?

Capcom is giving up 30K right?

what is the prizes for the rest of the games?

Does that mean that winners of Arms and Smash get $0 ?

Kashibaba

Oct 25, 2017
So can somebody with more knowledge let me know how the prize money works for the winners of each game? since there is no money in the prize pool from entrants, the money is funded by a developer or sponsor right?

Capcom is giving up 30K right?

what is the prizes for the rest of the games?

Does that mean that winners of Arms and Smash get $0 ?

The prize money is ¥1000000 for all games other than arms and smash

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
oh and another one, 2014:

That comparison is pretty good since EVO was smaller at that time, yet the lowest game in Japan here, ARMS, has bigger numbers than Tekken Tag 2, Injustice 1, KOF XIII, and Killer Instinct. That's really promising!

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Some other comparisons:
EVO 2015

Going by this metric after the huge rush of the first year of SFV has passed. It looks like SFV's popularity in Japan is pretty similar to its popularity in America. But Tekken is a little more popular in Japan/Asia and GG is much more popular as it has 400 more entrants with 1600 less total people compared to EVO 2017.

Oct 25, 2017
So yes, roughly 9-10k for everything except nintendo's games. Which would explain the numbers. Even the ARMS Grand Prix had more to give.

That said I wonder if that new japanese esports organization is gonna be set up in time to let these tournaments take entry fees by next year

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good numbers for Tekken and GG. Expected a bit more for BB, still okay though I guess. Gonna be hype regardless. Looking forward to watching some great and hype matches in a few weeks.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Them using AE will make things even more exiting!
They really need to drop the change-log soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm not sure. I've seen others say that it's because Nintendo doesn't throw in money like the other companies are probably doing. Maybe someone else who actually know can clarify this.
Exactly the reason. Nintendo has never chipped into an EVO pot. Nor any smash tournament on a smaller level, because the Pot is through the entry fees. No entry fees, no pot.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember mk characters (dlc) were banned due to being too close to Evo or another tournament. Should Capcom get a bye like this? Imo sakura should not be allowed.

Izunavis

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I honestly thought Blaz would be more than Smash but glad to see Guilty taking the second spot.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash with double the entrants of ARMS.

Nintendo's Switch eSports looking a bit rough.

I am hype for Guilty Gear and Tekken, though. SFV with the new version will be interesting as well.

One is the biggest fighting game of the company and one of the most popular game of the indutry, the other is a New IP that launched months ago. It's pretty unfair to compare these two.

No one likes arms. Not even the Japanese. Lol

Except that there's already a community for the game and people continue to play it?

Oct 25, 2017
Will this be an international event too, or only Japanese players?

http://shoryuken.com/2017/12/28/che...ional-breakdown-for-the-very-first-evo-japan/
For Street Fighter V, Japan makes up 63% of entrants, followed by North America with 15%, Europe with 5% and then Korea and Oceania both at 3%. Despite it being the only tournament to reach over 1000 entrants, it is not the tournament with the most diverse pool of entrants. That award goes to The King of Fighters XIV, where Japan only makes up 45% of the entrants — the rest of the players come from North and South America, Europe, the Middle East, South East Asia and Africa. Shout-outs to the one Micronesian player who is representing their country at KOFXIV!

Or in Japanese for all games:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/397/G039789/20171227131/

Oct 25, 2017
There is a long list of side tournaments, too

• AQUAPAZZA -AQUAPLUS DREAM MATCH- (arcade)
  • Vampire Savior (arcade)
  • Vampire Hunter (arcade)
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV (arcade)
  • En-Eins Perfektewelt (arcade)
  • Capcom vs. SNK 2 (arcade)
  • Chaos Code: New Sign of Catastrophe (arcade)
  • Guilty Gear XX Λ Core Plus R (arcade)
  • Catherine (PS3)
  • Samurai Shodown V Special (arcade)
  • Street Fighter III: Third Strike (arcade)
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3 (arcade)
  • SoulCalibur V (PS3)
  • Daemon Bride (arcade)
  • Nitroplus Blasterz Heroines Infinite Duel (arcade)
  • Blade Arcus from Shining EX (PS4)
  • Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (PS4)
  • Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm (arcade)
  • Ranma ½: Hard Battle (Super Famicom)
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves (arcade)
  • Gōketsuji Ichizoku: Senzo Kuyō (arcade)
  • Touhou Hisoutensoku (PC)
  • The Last Blade II (arcade)
  • Koihime Enbu (PC)

OP
OP
Joe2187

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Damn would have expected a Dengeki Bunko side tournament....

But fucking Ranma 1/2 Hard battle gets a tournament?!?

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Ranma Hard Battle ? らんま1/2 爆烈乱闘篇? But... why?
超技乱舞篇 is a far better game... And has much better characters too.