• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Umm you realize your chart says SFV had the most entrants and unique entrants right? lol Like I was saying, by a per game basis, Smash has never been the top game. Obviously if you combine two different games in the same series, you're going to get a higher number.
I was talking ratios. The Smash games have the highest rates of unique entrants, which means that people who come for smash and smash alone bring in more money per person relative to unique players in other games. Losing that revenue stream would hurt Evo and make it harder for the event to continue to be as big or as accessible as it has been in recent years. My point was to highlight how Smash is in Evo simply because of the realities of funding the tournament, not because of whatever degree the game "deserves" to be in.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
But it's the only tournament is my point. You all would have a point if the Japanese held their own local stuff cultivating a Smash following before EVO Japan became a thing. A big turnout at EVO Japan just tells me that not many Japanese get to compete at all and EVO is there only chance.

Umebura had 450, 418, 319 then 515 entrants a few weeks ago so its not the only tournament.

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
They are extremely strict with IP here. Side analogy and my constant complaint, Namco Bandai can't even release some of their games on PC here in Japan for... reasons apparently. DBZ, Naruto, Tales and more are all in an IP limbo on steam here.

The Vesperia remaster is confirmed for Japan Steam.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Those are the kind of numbers that make me question whether or not there'll be an EVO Japan 2020.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Shame they waited so long to do EVO Japan after the earthquake. They really had a chance to build something great in the east, but lady luck had other plans.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not buying it. Overall numbers should be down, but SFV and Tekken 7 shouldn't be down that much.

I think the two biggest factors are the location change and just worse PR in general. Game has no real social media presence even among FG accounts and there is just a lack of info about it in general available

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I think timing of this event is whats also doing it.

It's a three day event, in a city that isn't nearly as big or traveled to as Tokyo (though I believe Fukuoka is awesome and probably the best city in this place) and most people in Japan straight up don't use their vacation days.

The weekend before EVO is a three day weekend that tons would travel for, but this one probably not. Even I can't really get off work for that Friday or Monday if I wanted to do the whole three days. People just don't move around in this country if they don't have the free days out of obligation usually. I -might- do Saturday afternoon/evening but then would be back on the train to my city while finals were going.

As much as I hate Tokyo, I think the benefits of entries outweighs the loss of moving it to a better location. Especially if EVO can't line itself up with a decent three day weekend or more.

Suck also because the last 5 or so months here in Japan has seen a MASSIVE push for esports and fighters in particular. Don't agree with how they are making events look like typical Japanese TV stuff, but hey any press here is good press I guess.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
It's a three day event, in a city that isn't nearly as big or traveled to as Tokyo (though I believe Fukuoka is awesome and probably the best city in this place) and most people in Japan straight up don't use their vacation days.

Oh god I didn't notice it wasn't in Tokyo this year, my office has moved right next to Sunshine City and I was looking forward to go there... Welp.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Registration got extended to Feb 3rd. Current Challonge numbers:

https://challonge.com/events/evojapan2019/tournaments

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition - 978
Tekken 7 - 481
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 - 293
Soulcalibur VI - 287
BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle - 205
The King of Fighters XIV - 181

Not quite the numbers we expect with the name Evo, but actually comparable to big time majors like Combo Breaker and CEO.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
For a game that's not even a year old, those SCVI numbers aren't good.

None of them are, but those are especially bad.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
For a game that's not even a year old, those SCVI numbers aren't good.

None of them are, but those are especially bad.
No Japanese arcade release in the series since SCIII, constant knee-jerk balance patches based on online play complaints of all things, and crappy marketing where radio silence regarding new content persists for months in spite of having a blind purchase season pass that's only halfway done have not been helping it.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Final totals:

https://challonge.com/events/evojapan2019/tournaments

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition - 1021
Tekken 7 - 507
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 - 311
Soulcalibur VI - 294
BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle - 216
The King of Fighters XIV - 187

Decent numbers, after all.

SFV getting twice as many entrants as Tekken 7 and more than the other four games combined is not exactly surprising, but it is notable. DBFZ and Smash Ultimate missing is a big deal, but this is still one of the largest fighting game tournaments of the year regardless.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
No Japanese arcade release in the series since SCIII, constant knee-jerk balance patches based on online play complaints of all things, and crappy marketing where radio silence regarding new content persists for months in spite of having a blind purchase season pass that's only halfway done have not been helping it.
Fuck. I completely forgot about this.

Have we really heard nothing since 2B came out? Between this and T7's first season pass, I'm struggling to think of reasons why I'd ever get a season pass from Namco.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
What the hell happened with incoming dlc characters? Are they done?
Seems like the game has gone silent