• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a great precedent set by EVO. Hopefully they see how well they do with no smash and it carries over to main EVO from now on. A smashless EVO is something everyone can get behind.

No DBZ is a bummer, although the matches can get a bit repetitive.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
If we can have competitive puyo puyo tetris and competitive Catherine at Evo (Vegas Evo, not Evo Japan) then we can have competitive smash. There's plenty of room as a side tourney. My problem is that it has to fucking be both melee AND the last game up on the main stage. Fuck that noise. Waste of a good slot. Smash people need to get their shit together and pick their 1. coughultimatecough

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
If we can have competitive puyo puyo tetris and competitive Catherine at Evo (Vegas Evo, not Evo Japan) then we can have competitive smash. There's plenty of room as a side tourney. My problem is that it has to fucking be both melee AND the last game up on the main stage. Fuck that noise. Waste of a good slot. Smash people need to get their shit together and pick their 1. coughultimatecough
But the "Smash people" is not the one choosing to have both games tho?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Do people in this thread just not see the "Japan" part of the OP, or are they so blind in their Smash hatred that they're tripping over themselves to post their hot takes?

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
But the "Smash people" is not the one choosing to have both games tho?

Yeah at the end of the day Mr. Wizard is the one making the decisions and since Melee brings viewers and participants it has been one of the games of choice. Hell if games like Third Strike had people playing it more than many recent fighting games it would still be there.

EVO has been more about the tournaments as long as the game has those elements, otherwise you would see *insert random niche fighter that got forgotten here* being kept for more years.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
As others have stated, I'm sure this has something to do with rights management. Japanese IP law is extremely strict. Music rights probably contribute directly to Smash's absence, and DBFZ is a casualty of the Bamco Rights Circus

There's also the fact that Gambling in Japan is illegal, so there might be "brand image" issues with having a tournament with a prize pool that makes publishers wary. In the case of DBFZ and Smash, it is probably a huge factor in how the rights owners want their games portrayed in the home market.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to encourage the petty haters, but from the God himself:

Yeah, I wonder if his opinion has changed now that he's on the grind to beat ZeRo in 3 months.

Also I prefer taking Sakurai's (the actual creator of the franchise) view:

However, Smash is a character-based fighting game, and there are plenty of players out there eagerly awaiting the opportunity to play as their favorite character. I wrestled with this problem quite a bit while deciding whether to include everyone

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2018/06/20/smash-is-special-part-1-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-557/

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when do publishers have to grant approval for a tournament?

It's not like he himself brings any elaboration on that notion tho
I didn't ask for "X doesn't think it's a fighting game" but for actual proof or non-idiotic argument for Smash not being a fighting game
"Fighting games" are 1v1 with healthbars.

There's your proof.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Fighting games" are 1v1 with healthbars.

There's your proof.
I hope it's sarcasm because this is comically obtuse
So would stamina matches in 1v1 count or the fact that health is represented with a number at the bottom instead of a colored strip on top of the screen disqualifies that too?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's sarcasm because this is comically obtuse
So would stamina matches in 1v1 count or the fact that health is represented with a number at the bottom instead of a colored strip on top of the screen disqualifies that too?
Are stamina matches how Smash is played at tournaments?

Look, I totally respect Smash for the technical requirements needed to be good at it (I'm having a miserable time with it right now because it's so weird and difficult), but "fighting game" means a specific thing. And yeah, generally it means a game that somewhat resembles Street Fighter. There's typically not a lot of overlap between people who are really good at fighting games and people are who are really good at Smash. It's one or the other, they're totally different animals. Which is fine. But people who are into fighting games (and have been for many years) have no interest in seeing Smash at Evo.

Especially since there are always two of the shits clogging up the game line-up. Smash already has its own competitive scene, it doesn't need to be at Evo.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

Look, I totally respect Smash for the technical requirements needed to be good at it (I'm having a miserable time with it right now because it's so weird and difficult), but "fighting game" means a specific thing. And yeah, generally it means a game that somewhat resembles Street Fighter. There's typically not a lot of overlap between people who are really good at fighting games and people are who are really good at Smash. It's one or the other, they're totally different animals. Which is fine. But people who are into fighting games (and have been for many years) have no interest in seeing Smash at Evo.

Especially since there are always two of the shits clogging up the game line-up. Smash already has its own competitive scene, it doesn't need to be at Evo.
Its been almost 2 decades since Smash 64 released. What makes a game a "fighting" game is no longer "its gotta be like street fighter". You don't need health bars because at the end of the day its the same damn thing. 2 fighters looking to KO each other. No overlap? Get real. Evo's viewer counts beg to differ on who wants to see Smash at Evo. CONSTANTLY has far more viewership than most other fighting games and I expect Smash Ultimate to be even larger now that we have a Smash on a successful console.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Look, I totally respect Smash for the technical requirements needed to be good at it (I'm having a miserable time with it right now because it's so weird and difficult), but "fighting game" means a specific thing. And yeah, generally it means a game that somewhat resembles Street Fighter. There's generally not a lot of overlap between people who are really good at fighting games and people are who are really good at Smash. They're totally different animals. Which is fine. But people who are into fighting games (and have been for many years) have no interest in seeing it at Evo.

Oh, you actually weren't being sarcastic.

Show the receipts for "Fighting games are 1v1 with healthbars" first. I'm not sure where to look for this for sure written rule of fighting games. Is there some kind of bible of fighting games?

but "fighting game" means a specific thing. And yeah, generally it means a game that somewhat resembles Street Fighter
yeah-thats-gonna-be-a-no-for-me-dog.jpg

But people who are into fighting games (and have been for many years) have no interest in seeing it at Evo.

Why are you speaking for everybody? There's no exclusivity thing going on here. I love Smash just as I love seeing Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat/Injustice at EVO. Just like there are people who likes Street Fighter and also likes seeing Smash at EVO. Both can coexist.

It's not the Smash community to decide, if you're going to be mad about this, be mad at the TO of EVO, Mr.Wizard himself. If he thinks both games bring enough revenue to warrant two main spots, so it shall be. This has nothing on us.

Last edited:

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Spooky doesn't run NLBC, he streams it.

Who, Arturo? Is that a counterpoint? So another prominent member of the FGC designates a separate event for Smash. It's not like Spooky would disagree and want Smash there.

SonicFox's comments follow the same thinking. Smash is not a fighting game, and it makes sense that he would perceive it as the hardest game to master- he is one of the best at fighting games, and Smash is so different that his skillset doesn't really apply that much.

Eliot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, account still in junior phase.
One thing for sure is that without Smash, Evo is going to be a more hygienic tournament.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The omission of DBFZ is a shame, but no Smash is a plus for me, I cannot suffer watching that game. It's fun to play with friends, but competitive Smash is as boring as *insert some boring sport here*.

This isn't the thread to have the same old discussion about Smash being a fighting game or not. Please stay on topic.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This isn't the thread to have the same old discussion about Smash being a fighting game or not. Please stay on topic.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its been almost 2 decades since Smash 64 released. What makes a game a "fighting" game is no longer "its gotta be like street fighter". You don't need health bars because at the end of the day its the same damn thing. 2 fighters looking to KO each other. No overlap? Get real. Evo's viewer counts beg to differ on who wants to see Smash at Evo. CONSTANTLY has far more viewership than most other fighting games and I expect Smash Ultimate to be even larger now that we have a Smash on a successful console.
Never said the Smash community was smaller than the FGC. Clearly tons of people are into Smash. All the more reason to stick to their own circuit instead of forcing into the already niche FGC tournaments.

It's not the Smash community to decide, if you're going to be mad about this, be mad at the TO of EVO, Mr.Wizard himself. If he thinks both games bring enough revenue to warrant two main spots, so it shall be. This has nothing on us.
I can definitely blame the Melee community for refusing to move on. TO's wouldn't be in this position if the community wasn't so goddamn stubborn.