• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Would be great for the winning player to try and sell the controller to a winner of another game, on stage.
Get that 70 bucks from the Sailor Moon grand champion.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Considering it has a one of a kind Nintendo made gold mark, how much one would be able to get on eBay or something?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
High fighting game fans,

JChVrdB.png

Your tournament payouts are trash.

Tbh I'm hard-pressed to think of a reason why Nintendo (or any company) should be obligated to chip in anything.
It's not about obligation; it's about marketing. Tournaments are a low-cost marketing opportunity. Why wouldn't they want to get their game in front of even more eyes if possible?

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly all those prizes are awful.

9k for 1st place at an EVO is pretty pathetic. Like, I know the fgc doesn't have the same kind of money flowing into it as the bigger esport games. But I'm pretty sure 9k is the kind of money people could make winning big Warcraft 3 tourneys 15 years ago

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop: "Is that an EVO Japan Championship Nintendo Switch Controller? We'll give you $10 in store credit for it"

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The VF5FS side tournament ( SEGA isnt involved in any way ) has better prices lol

Yeah, the winner will receive 30 kg of rice.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't EVO gather their own event sponsorships to make the prizes worth someones time?

Even the non-Smash prizes are still a joke.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I thought there were issues with prize money because of gambling restrictions in Japan?

Well US EVO isn´t doing much bigger prizes than this either, SF5 winner had a big bonus atleast
https://www.esportsearnings.com/tournaments/36614-evo-2019-ssbu (and Smash got some more than a pro controller)

Like others have said, fighting games just don´t have the sponsors and general interest unfortunately. Still the niche eSports.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
Unlike other fighting games, Smash doesn't live or die based on the health of its competitive community. Anything they contributed towards that scene would basically be charity, and while charity is nice, companies don't have to be nice.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
So many people here claiming that this is the way FGC esports work, despite every other game giving at least 4k to the winner and other prizes to next places.

This is 100% on Nintendo.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Not everything has to be for profit. Nintendo could and should support eSports even if it's just a PR thing. They have billions in cash and some people are talking like they can't give away 100k to their biggest eSports game as prize money because they won't make anything from it (which is wrong anyway). Crazy shit.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
The way people talk about this you would think that some of you are part of Nintendo's shareholder group and have some sort of financial stake in all this.

It would be a nice thing to do that harms nobody if Nintendo contributed. That's it. It is lame that they do not. Not everything has to be a matter of profits and advertising and I feel like the only people excusing Nintendo under the "yeah well they don't have to" banner are the people who are not personally effected by this and this shit doesn't get brought up when it's a matter of if their favourite character did or didn't get into the dlc.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I have, literally, seen locals with higher prize pools.

I wonder if a compendium could help with all this. But that would require them to actually make things FOR the compendium, and that ain't happening.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
boy.....the efforts to really get fighting games e-sports to take off really shows /s

God that is straight trash

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

Everyone remember back in the Switch reveal trailer it showed an eSports team getting ready for a Splatoon tournament? Nintendo wants to have it's cake and eat it too. They want the free publicity and stature that eSports can bring their games, but that interview shows the company has no interest in really putting in the time & effort to foster an eSports scene.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone remember back in the Switch reveal trailer it showed an eSports team getting ready for a Splatoon tournament? Nintendo wants to have it's cake and eat it too. They want the free publicity and stature that eSports can bring their games, but that interview shows the company has no interest in really putting in the time & effort to foster an eSports scene.

I mean of course not. Splatoon has a tickrate of like...8, they only care when they can compare it to other games to make it look like they're in the conversation when, in reality, they could care less.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
If the ticket fees don't go toward the prize pool where do they go? Is it still free entry or?
"Japanese law only allows us to pay out 20 times the entry fee" huh.... that's weirdly specific

Last edited:

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
If the ticket fees don't go toward the prize pool where do they go? Is it still free entry or?
"Japanese law only allows us to pay out 20 times the entry fee" huh.... that's weirdly specific
They have venue fees, they're not charging entry fees per-game, once you pay that, registering for any game you want is free.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Why doesn't EVO gather their own event sponsorships to make the prizes worth someones time?
probably have something to do with the tournament being open bracket.

cant guarantee your sponsored players won't be knocked out by some no name.
EVO is "gathering their own event sponsorships," that's where the prize money is coming from. But they can't give money to the Smash winner because giving esport money in Japan requires a JESU license, and giving a JESU license for a Smash player require Nintendo's involvement.