• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One of Nintendo's biggest weaknesses is community relations. They have some of the biggest franchises and communities of people playing their games but they do not support them in the slightest, leading to frustration, high turnover within their communities, and is a missed opportunity to convert their fans' interest in them into revenue more than they already do. There are many ways that they can attempt to improve their relationship to fans, however most of them are difficult and require a lot of planning, extra staffing, and planning. Setting aside $100k annually for tournament prize pools is an easy way to begin solving that problem that doesn't require a a coordinated communications rollout. That's ultimately a big part of why all these smaller games conribute to prize pools, because it's easy and effective. It would make a substantial difference in mending their image, certainly in Japan and likely in the West as well. Nintendo has some of the most dedicated and excited fans out there, Nintendo just needs to start meeting them halfway for once and they will ultimately be rewarded. Their current strategy of austerity helps no one.

And it's not like Nintendo isn't aware of how effective this can be, given the $500k prize pool the Pokemon World Championships has. They wouldn't keep investing in that if it wasn't working.
Not supporting competitive communities doesnt mean they have bad community relations. Competitive isn't the only part of these game communities that matters you know

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
this is why i'm excited for riot's fg - they are gonna make esports a huge priority for the game and genre

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
DqrwhzrWoAAP0o6.jpg

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of Nintendo's biggest weaknesses is community relations. They have some of the biggest franchises and communities of people playing their games but they do not support them in the slightest, leading to frustration, high turnover within their communities, and is a missed opportunity to convert their fans' interest in them into revenue more than they already do. There are many ways that they can attempt to improve their relationship to fans, however most of them are difficult and require a lot of planning, extra staffing, and planning. Setting aside $100k annually for tournament prize pools is an easy way to begin solving that problem that doesn't require a a coordinated communications rollout. That's ultimately a big part of why all these smaller games conribute to prize pools, because it's easy and effective. It would make a substantial difference in mending their image, certainly in Japan and likely in the West as well. Nintendo has some of the most dedicated and excited fans out there, Nintendo just needs to start meeting them halfway for once and they will ultimately be rewarded. Their current strategy of austerity helps no one.

And it's not like Nintendo isn't aware of how effective this can be, given the $500k prize pool the Pokemon World Championships has. They wouldn't keep investing in that if it wasn't working.
Nintendo doesn't run the PWC, the Pokemon Company does

But regardless, I think the difference here is that Pokemon's VGC scene wouldn't really exist without that prize pool. People would just play on Showdown in those isolated communities which wouldn't really serve as marketing in the same way that the VGC scene does. The situations are different

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are the prizes for the other games being provided by the respective companies that made them?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dedicate some money to building a better scene around their games and actually support passionate fans? Yeah, they would and as a consumer and spectator I'd fucking love that. Imagine Sakurai showing up at Evo to present a new trailer and award the winners. That shit would be fucking wild! I don't care about Nintendo's pockets, they survived the abysmal Wii U, they'll be fine.
More people watch a Nintendo direct than Evo, why would they willfully do a big reveal for a smaller audience that will probably buy the dlc anyways?
Yeah fuck Capcom and Namco for not offering support for eSports...oh shit
Yeah because Capcom and Namco have games as successful as Nintendo have

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Capcom is offering said support because they believe it helps them succeed and make more money off their games, to an extent that offsets the cost of said support. Nintendo is not offering support because they don't believe the benefits will offset the costs in their case. I personally think Nintendo is probably correct in this situation (And don't ignore how the Smash scene is just straight up larger than most of the scenes you're comparing to). Additionally, the reason there are fewer smash games is because the series you mention tend to have much shorter life spans without updates or sequels
Start thinking of yourself as a consumer, don't make excuses for Nintendo not choosing to take money out of their pockets. It's really baffling to read all these mental gymnastics to defend the simple fact that it sucks that Nintendo isn't more involved in eSports. And you know what's sadder? That you're defending this even though it results in not having the chance to enjoy an even better scene for Nintendo game such as Smash and Splatoon, something I'm sure Nintendo enthusiasts would ultimately enjoy if they were a thing.

You know what I'm out of this discussion, I'm not gonna fall for the loop.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Not supporting competitive communities doesnt mean they have bad community relations. Competitive isn't the only part of these game communities that matters you know

They're not exactly building good relations with their hyperprotective legal flexing and shitty online that's less functional than fucking Ventrilo.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Start thinking of yourself as a consumer, don't make excuses for Nintendo not choosing to take money out of their pockets. It's really baffling to read all these mental gymnastics to defend the simple fact that it sucks that Nintendo isn't more involved in eSports. And you know what's sadder? That you're defending this even though it results in not having the chance to enjoy an even better scene for Nintendo game such as Smash and Splatoon, something I'm sure Nintendo enthusiasts would ultimately enjoy if they were a thing.
I as a consumer am not really worse off for Nintendo's involvement in the Smash scene? It's already huge, and it's not like I'd be making the money if they did put it into the scene. Realistically the only people who would actually stand to benefit from this is the select group of 20 or so individuals who are regularly making top 8 at big tournaments

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're not exactly building good relations with their hyperprotective legal flexing and shitty online that's less functional than fucking Ventrilo.
Sure, but that has literally nothing to do with the eSports situation and conflating the two is pointless. In the first place, as a consumer I'd much rather excess cash be put into stuff like online infrastructure than eSports in the first place.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I as a consumer am not really worse off for Nintendo's involvement in the Smash scene? It's already huge, and it's not like I'd be making the money if they did put it into the scene. Realistically the only people who would actually stand to benefit from this is the select group of 20 or so individuals who are regularly making top 8 at big tournaments
No, you are right, I'd totally hate to see an official Smash Ultimate Tour organized by Nintendo with appearances from people in the company and others, I'd hate it, I'd much rather Nintendo save their money and put it to use somewhere else, yup, that's what I'd love, because that money is totally going into fixing their online infrastructure, no doubt.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I'll just laugh. Should still have plenty of great sets at least, even if the prize is just a pro controller with a sticker on it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but that has literally nothing to do with the eSports situation and conflating the two is pointless. In the first place, as a consumer I'd much rather excess cash be put into stuff like online infrastructure than eSports in the first place.

Replying to a post implying they have good community relations in general and I can't disagree harder when they're such an isolated and detached company in many ways.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, you are right, I'd totally hate to see an official Smash Ultimate Tour organized by Nintendo with appearances from people in the company and others, I'd hate it, I'd much rather Nintendo save their money and put it to use somewhere else, yup, that's what I'd love.
I mean, I don't really care about seeing a bunch of corporate mouth pieces being present at Smash tournaments, I doubt it would increase the number of tournaments or the quality of play at them if Nintendo was more involved, and I just don't see anything of value being present there which we aren't already getting anyways. Like they could announce the smash character at the event instead of on a youtube video, but it's not like the content of what they're showing will be any different regardless of where they show it

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. If we learned anything with MK and Smash is that content is what makes foghting games sell nowadays and not esports focus
Riot will probably try to take Street Fighter's spot with pure spending power, but I don't see the scene growing the level of their other stuff.

No, you are right, I'd totally hate to see an official Smash Ultimate Tour organized by Nintendo with appearances from people in the company and others, I'd hate it, I'd much rather Nintendo save their money and put it to use somewhere else, yup, that's what I'd love, because that money is totally going into fixing their online infrastructure, no doubt.
A tour would probably never happen because casuals are already buying Smash in droves and that's what they care about.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Nintendo has literally had Smash on TV before without having to spend a dime of their own money. That's the difference between Nintendo and these other companies: Nintendo's games are so large that they get to have the benefits of the esports scene without putting money or effort into it. The smash scene is already bigger than pretty much any other fighting game esport scene without Nintendo needing to spend money, and there's not really a good reason to believe it would grow much bigger if they did put more money into it
Sound logic, it doesn't need developers support because it's already big....

WTF, why would anything other developers do to increase their FG community not work with Nintendo? If anything, having a bigger base only mean there is more potential for an even bigger community!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't implying only competitive communities matter, just that they are one of the many subsets of their broader community which is totally ignored by Nintendo at their own peril. They are fortunate to coast on what they have now but they should be investing in a safer future for themselves by doing anything to strengthen their relationship with their fans.
Nintendo doesn't run the PWC, the Pokemon Company does

But regardless, I think the difference here is that Pokemon's VGC scene wouldn't really exist without that prize pool. People would just play on Showdown in those isolated communities which wouldn't really serve as marketing in the same way that the VGC scene does. The situations are different
That's I think where we disagree. Competitive Smash is huge but could be so much bigger and have so much more revenue potential for Nintendo if they were willing to start investing in it. Their current position is an excessively conservative waste of potential that is actively detrimental to everyone involved

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sound logic, it doesn't need developers support because it's already big....

WTF, why would anything other developers do to increase their FG community not work with Nintendo? If anything, having a bigger base only mean there are more potential for an even bigger community!
I just realistically can't see how injecting money into the scene that only a handful of players will ever have a realistic shot at (most of whom are the ones who are already at the top of the scene anyways) is going to somehow massively grow the scene. I think it'd be a different issue if there was a higher chance of Smash players migrating to other games with better prize pools, but there's not.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It just doesn't benefit Nintendo. Esports is basically marketing and their games are selling well as it is. The money that would be invested in esports is probably invested in other types of marketing that have better return. It is just the sad thing about esports. It is just too niche so Nintendo will prioritize the larger public
If nothing about it benefits nintendo why be involved at all.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I just realistically can't see how injecting money into the scene that only a handful of players will ever have a realistic shot at (most of whom are the ones who are already at the top of the scene anyways) is going to somehow massively grow the scene. I think it'd be a different issue if there was a higher chance of Smash players migrating to other games with better prize pools, but there's not.

Any other company would look at the fact that there's a 2 decade old game being played internationally with more than a thousand entrants in 2020 despite pitiful prize pool and TO's paying out of pocket and think "hmm, maybe there's something to this".
Nintendo on the other hand invites some of the biggest names in said community to promote their games in E3 invitationals and gets known commentators to host their official events (like the online one that started lagging and the co-host lied about it even existing...) while simultaneously sticking to the stance that it should not be played for money (even their official tournament prizes are kind of pitiful). Its a fucked up relationship.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Because more money into Smash isn't just more prize pool money, it's running their own series, increasing the production value of tournament/streams, promoting it on official Nintendo channels, etc... Prize pool is there to make competing at the top level sustainable, everything else is to make more watchable/reach more viewers.
You don't see how a tournament promoted through Nintendo official channels would bring more views and potentially more players?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any other company would look at the fact that there's a 2 decade old game being played internationally with more than a thousand entrants in 2020 despite pitiful prize pool and TO's paying out of pocket and think "hmm, maybe there's something to this".
Nintendo on the other hand invites some of the biggest names in said community to promote their games in E3 invitationals and gets known commentators to host their official events (like the online one that started lagging and the co-host lied about it even existing...) while simultaneously sticking to the stance that it should not be played for money (even their official tournament prizes are kind of pitiful). Its a fucked up relationship.
I don't think Nintendo getting involved would actually do much to grow the scene though, at least not to any appreciable extent

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because more money into Smash isn't just more prize pool money, it's running their own series, increasing the production value of tournament/streams, promoting it on official Nintendo channels, etc... Prize pool is there to make competing at the top level sustainable, everything else is to make more watchable/reach more viewers.
You don't see how a tournament promoted through Nintendo official channels would bring more views and potentially more players?
I mean, Nintendo does direct people to a bunch of the major tournaments through stuff like twitter though? Not to mention that I feel like the few times Nintendo has done their own events they have gotten less viewership than the fan events anyways

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No shit, why do you think theirs got less attention?
My point was that if you're arguing that they would get more attention simply by virtue of being on Nintendo's official channels the facts state otherwise. Even if they had used rulesets preferred by the competitive community, that would only matter to those who already followed the community which means that stuff like that can't help grow the community.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Melee as an example is that there's definitely no money in that in addition to the scene probably not wanting Nintendo at this point. With Ultimate Nintendo cares about the casual side and not the competitive scene.

For all of these companies E-Sports are just a way to advertise their games to casuals, but Nintendo doesn't care about dabbling with it all that much outside of some early promotion stuff.

I don't really think this is the case. Even getting top 8 at Evo and Capcom Cup isn't enough to make it sustainable.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
My point was that if you're arguing that they would get more attention simply by virtue of being on Nintendo's official channels the facts state otherwise. Even if they had used rulesets preferred by the competitive community, that would only matter to those who already followed the community which means that stuff like that can't help grow the community.
But I already mentioned it's not just one thing, it's not just prize pools, not just running their tournament series or just tweeting about it. It's taking the whole thing seriously and putting more into supporting it, starting with willingness to invest money into it. But of course you're more interested in picking single pointd and finding ancedotes of why that specific thing didn't help that one time, you're more here because "Nintendo is getting blamed for something" than anything else.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But I already mentioned it's not just one thing, it's not just prize pools, not just running their tournament series or just tweeting about it. It's taking the whole thing seriously and putting more into supporting it, starting with the.willing ness to invest money into it. But of course you're more interested into picking single pointd and finding ancedotes of why that specific thing didn't help that one time, you're more here because "Nintendo is getting blamed for something" than anything else.
I'm willing to criticize Nintendo for many things. For example the god awful way they handled switch online and the fact that they thought people would be satisfied with the mobile app. I just don't really think they're in the wrong in this situation and I don't think them not wanting to put money into the esports scene is shady or evil or even just stupid even if I do think it'd be cool if they did

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I don't really think this is the case. Even getting top 8 at Evo and Capcom Cup isn't enough to make it sustainable.
Bigger prize pools make it more sustainable for more players, of course it won't support everyone. Some will find support through sponsors, others with content creation or streaming but of course most will have to keep their IRL jobs. Point is, actual support for the scene could lead to a bigger community and more exposure which open the door wider for all of those things, including the IRL jobs part.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: prizes don't really impact the size of events.

Of the 3000 entrants into Smash there, my guess is 2950 of them know they have zero chance of making top 8. What counts for them is the event itself.

The reason EVO, CEO, Combo Breaker are the top 3 US events is not because of prize pools, it's because of the prestige of the events and in CEO/CB case, the amount of community stuff making it a better experience for the average pot monster.

Sponsorships are what makes pro tours work. I believe you can make the argument that top players draw out pot monsters too, but I think most pot monsters (I've been one for a long time) do it for the community and love of the game. To be able to fly out to all these pro tour events is expensive- my guess is 20 majors a year costs around $20,000 or so, mostly in airfare/hotel.

We've seen two games this gen (SCVI and UNIST) succeed without real support for their publisher as well. That was all community effort. SCVI got a pro tour and a Season 2 through their community efforts. Grassroots is the biggest factor in growing games. Smash, SFV were going to be as big as they are no matter what (and in SFV's case, despite Capcom's ability to annoy their playerbase)

What we really need are more top tier events.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: prizes don't really impact the size of events.

Of the 3000 entrants into Smash there, my guess is 2950 of them know they have zero chance of making top 8. What counts for them is the event itself.

The reason EVO, CEO, Combo Breaker are the top 3 US events is not because of prize pools, it's because of the prestige of the events and in CEO/CB case, the amount of community stuff making it a better experience for the average pot monster.

Sponsorships are what makes pro tours work. I believe you can make the argument that top players draw out pot monsters too, but I think most pot monsters (I've been one for a long time) do it for the community and love of the game. To be able to fly out to all these pro tour events is expensive- my guess is 20 majors a year costs around $20,000 or so, mostly in airfare/hotel.

We've seen two games this gen (SCVI and UNIST) succeed without real support for their publisher as well. That was all community effort. SCVI got a pro tour and a Season 2 through their community efforts. Grassroots is the biggest factor in growing games. Smash, SFV were going to be as big as they are no matter what (and in SFV's case, despite Capcom's ability to annoy their playerbase)

What we really need are more top tier events.

Bringing top players out to events significantly increases interest and brings other players and other ranked players. Having less incentive for the biggest players to fly out (sometimes internationally) isn't healthy for the scene. The stakes are definitely higher when there's a significant prize up for grabs and also makes spectating more appealing.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

It's mindblowing that Nintendo hasn't done anything with Melee. Even a simple re-release, or a port with microtransaction cosmetics or something. It stills pulls more viewers than Ultimate, even after all this time. Seems like it could be a perpetual money maker for them like CS:GO is for Valve.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's mindblowing that Nintendo hasn't done anything with Melee. Even a simple re-release, or a port with microtransaction cosmetics or something. It stills pulls more viewers than Ultimate, even after all this time. Seems like it could be a perpetual money maker for them like CS:GO is for Valve.

Most people just want a good port at least. I think they could probably bundle it with 64 and Brawl too, kind of like the Street Fighter Anniversary pack. Crummy additional online being optional ;)

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
To be fair that's like a $70 controller. Not cheap. Win the tournament and you can take your girl to Applebees with the money saved.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
>Excited for competitive scene refresh with Smash Ultimate
>Put off college for a year, quit part time job
>Eat/sleep/practice
>Fly to Japan for Evo
>Comeback from early LB to win it all
>Tears streaming down face as you hoist up a $70 controller in triumph