• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible how they killed the momentum of FighterZ congrats Namco and Toei

Last edited:

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Whatever capcom's been saving for....what is it, 8 months? Is probably going to underwhelm but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Also hoping for itazan or fuudo taking home the championship this year!
Will Aris be over there or he will re steam Tekken?
The way he's talked about it I doubt he'd ever miss Evo.

Just always feels like there's something missing with nrs games they come and go with a whimper not saying their bad or anything like that I just feel like the hype isn't there. Maybe it's just a me thing.
I don't know, I always thought they did pretty well on their first year. They definitely don't seem to retain numbers as well as other mainstays though.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The Smash numbers are incredible. Should be a good time.

Bandai & Co. have done a terrible job maintaining the momentum of Dragon Ball. Sad to see.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Just always feels like there's something missing with nrs games they come and go with a whimper not saying their bad or anything like that I just feel like the hype isn't there. Maybe it's just a me thing.
NRS games have the most toxic community and bi-yearly releases pretty much kill any chances of them maturing and retaining players like SF/Tekken.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Bandai finally got db right for the first time in years and they squander the momentum. Oh well. Surprised about the sam sho numbers.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Smash isn't my cup of tea, but I'll check out MK, Samsho and Tekken.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
question, other than SamSho & MK11, there were no more new fighting games announced or gonna be released for this year?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
SamSho is the biggest shocker on that list.

samsho is easier to watch for an onlooker not into fighting games. Asking someone new to fighting games to watch combo juggling games or the versus games or smash will just make them confused. That's the reason why i hate watching MvC3 back then....it's so confusing with the assist popping all over the place (especially when both players used the same assists).

2 people clashing swords with each other in a 2D plane....can't get any more less confusing on a casual onlooker.

Oct 25, 2017
The game has been out of arcades for over 2 years, yet Tekken 7 just keeps on getting more popular. It must be a strong brand internationally. Given how sparse the single player is, lots of people must be online junkies/lean towards the hardcore end of the scale.

I have to wonder how they're going to keep that momentum going to Tekken 8, after all the restructuring NB just did. They aren't coming off of tag 2 driving folks away - the foreign stream monster hype train slow rollout is old hat. Green Arcade is gone, and others are following. Salivating over hands off streams for another 2 year stint will be a huge letdown.

At the same time, the direct to home route can be all over the place: sf5s rough yet pretty dominate ride, kof doing ok on PS4 at the expenses of a late PC port that could have been saved with crossplay, ex layer not learning from that same mistake and farting off into the ether, all of the anime titles coming out strong on more than one platform and then having these much lower numbers a year later, guilty wearing people out with arcsys multi release bullshit. Scvi could be doing better given its fine job of being on everything but the switch, but it's a different brand with a different audience that's been away for awhile. The new star child Unist getting by here on the back of it's fans is cool as shit, but it's series also has had a hellish home release+late steam port schedule since forever - and now there's gonna be another goddamn version, with another goddamn late steam port (if any!!!).

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I'll admit, while I wasn't upset by Melee's exclusion (there's already a ton of great tournaments this summer without Evo), I didn't think it would be a good business decision. All of the new games are performing really well though, so this was probably a net gain for them. I don't expect we'll ever see Melee back, but I'm happy for the other communities that are showing up and getting a spotlight.

Evo still feels weird to me without Melee, Marvel, or Guilty Gear, but I'll still tune in for some top 8's throughout the weekend. This should be a fun year.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Incredible how Tekken 7's base keeps growing. A testament in how well they've handled the season pass.

DBFZ and BCTB are the obvious shockers, but I didn't expect SF5 to get sub 2000 numbers already. Capcom needs to announce a new season pass/SF6 and fast.

MK cans can at least be happy that this will be their largest tournament yet. Same with SC6, though it missed out in the 1000 club.

SamSho and UNIST fans can do the same. I believe this would make it the largest SNK and anime games if all time. Would not have expected that from those who games.

Smash Ultimate took care of business as expected. Maybe then we will get a clear picture of the meta.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So much for the weird arguments that EVO needs Melee.

Also, holy shit at SamSho pulling in those numbers and beating Mortal Kombat 11!

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Great numbers all around. Sucks that those SamSho numbers are very likely going to drop off hard after Evo. They really need to fix the online if they want people to keep playing.

Waiting for the PC version, so I've been ignoring the game. How bad is the online for Samsho?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible how Tekken 7's base keeps growing. A testament in how well they've handled the season pass.

DBFZ and BCTB are the obvious shockers, but I didn't expect SF5 to get sub 2000 numbers already. Capcom needs to announce a new season pass/SF6 and fast.

MK cans can at least be happy that this will be their largest tournament yet. Same with SC6, though it missed out in the 1000 club.

SamSho and UNIST fans can do the same. I believe this would make it the largest SNK and anime games if all time. Would not have expected that from those who games.

Smash Ultimate took care of business as expected. Maybe then we will get a clear picture of the meta.
Everything about how poorly Arc have handled BBTAG pointed to this massive drop being expected, from the all but nonexistent communication to the massive wait while they kept the major update exclusive to the JP-only arcade release.

G Darksoul

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Wow at those MK numbers. Considering it's a new game it should have more interest.
It's honestly the best MK ever made, but the top 7 have some really strange design decisions in a neutral based game like this. It's seriously off putting that a patch to fix the crazy damage and krushing blows some kharacters have. Not talking about any balancing or silly moves but they're in there also.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash HAS to go last on Sunday. With this number of entrants, and the pace of the game, it is going to be delay galore. At least don't delay the other games, put Smash last, and let them have the finals until Monday morning.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Ultimate is killing it in the competitive scene it seems, I wonder if it's only because it's new or because the pro players feel that is far better than Smash U (or a combination of both).

And yeah, surprised to see DBFZ that low, and how Tekken 7 is closing the gap with SFV. I will only see the entire Smash finals, but I'll take a look at some other games like Unist this year.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Smash HAS to go last on Sunday. With this number of entrants, and the pace of the game, it is going to be delay galore. At least don't delay the other games, put Smash last, and let them have the finals until Monday morning.

It's only Top 8 on Sunday. Friday and Saturday are going to be insane, though.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
question, other than SamSho & MK11, there were no more new fighting games announced or gonna be released for this year?

There's a few things that are basically known to be in the works like a new King of Fighters and a new Under-Night but I don't think those will make this year.

Oh and some of smaller releases that were in some form of early access. (Fantasy Strike, Them's Fightin' Herds, Metal Revolution maybe)

You can expect basically every franchise to have news at EVO , it'll probably mostly be more characters/seasons for everything though.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Shame about Fighterz, what happens when you don't support the game enough I guess :(
Shame as I really enjoy it. Hoping for a Season 3, but 2 has been underwhelming sadly.

Cool and not so surprising to see SSB top the list ha. Also nice to see Tekken stay pretty consistent.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
It'd be nice if we could get these numbers broken down into geographic location. I'd like to know how many players are coming in from which countries.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this is the year smash gets interesting enough to push me to learn the game.
I have a very hard time watching the matches. It gets very boring very quickly.

Samsho with amazing turnout :O

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
I'm really shocked at Samsho, that's crazy numbers for an SNK franchise, right? Now if only they had released the game with a PC version since it's the year 2019, maybe I would be more invested.

FighterZ would always get a drop-off but this big is mostly due to incompetence/poor choices from Bandai: waiting months to announce the World Tour and when you do it, 80% of the tournaments are unannounced, only a single balance patch for the whole season, DLC coming out very slowly with players starving for news...

Why is DBFZ listed under UNIST when it has more number of entrants?
My guess is that FighterZ surpassed UNIST very recently and Mr.Wizard used the order he had for all the months before. FighterZ only broke 1000 two days after UNIST.
It'd be nice if we could get these numbers broken down into geographic location. I'd like to know how many players are coming in from which countries.
That would be really cool to see. Even broken down by game, I would really like to see the West/Japan divide in some of these games.

Oct 25, 2017
Final day is top 8 only, so it doesn't matter how big the tournament is.

edit: Sorry, already been mentioned.

I'm really shocked at Samsho, that's crazy numbers for an SNK franchise, right?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good luck on running a 3500 player smash tournament. My head hurts just thinking about it.