• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I thought the MK11 numbers would be higher for some reason. I guess asia not really playing the game matters alot for the scene.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
84k385ws2x901.png
lmao

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
SamSho is the better game.
Either don't start this, or at least explain in depth your reasoning.

I believe Evo is the tournament that manage to gather eastern players the most, especially Japan, and western fighitng games(which are very few) are crippled by default on that front.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap Dragon Ball FighterZ fell off a cliff.

I guess people got tired of the long ass matches lol
More likely they tired of seeing the same matchups over and over again. Cell is nowhere near as prominent as in the first year, but still plenty of Bardock, Kid Buu, and Adult Gohan teams. The overall simplicity of the gameplay also leads to many of the matches playing out similarly, with not much room for variation in playstyles. Even post-patch BBTAG has better character variety (how the characters play and which ones get picked alike) and better overall character balance than S2 DBFZ.

EDIT: And though how much Gotenks is seen anymore is on a steep decline, he's just been replaced by plenty of GT Kid Goku, who's an even smaller target and is considerably more stupid in how good he is.

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
More likely they tired of seeing the same matchups over and over again. Cell is nowhere near as prominent as in the first year, but still plenty of Bardock, Kid Buu, and Adult Gohan teams. The overall simplicity of the gameplay also leads to many of the matches playing out similarly, with not much room for variation in playstyles. Even post-patch BBTAG has better character variety (how the characters play and which ones get picked alike) and better overall character balance than S2 DBFZ.

EDIT: And though how much Gotenks is seen anymore is on a steep decline, he's just been replaced by plenty of GT Kid Goku, who's an even smaller target and is considerably more stupid in how good he is.
I agree, I don't play DBFZ, I just watch it and I'm just bored of it now.

Those matches really do go on for a long ass time though lol
in no world is 1.5k low... SamSho is much more pick up and playable and I imagine it has a lot more crossover.
I just mean low for it's first year. The game is barely 3 months old, I would figure it would have a lot more entrants

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, Shueisha were being the difficult ones in respect to permitting tournaments for DBFZ. Either way, those few months along with a lackluster S2 (in respect to content and the game not changing all that much) haven't done the game any favors.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I entered SC and Samsho (though my Samsho experience outside of legacy is just one local)

As for SC6 , I think it's one and done , though it can continue life after EVO if it gets a S2. They also sold well enough to get a SC7, probably with more budget this time, in 5-6 years.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
DBZ was done dirty. Tragic, but great to see SamSho and Smash numbers where they are. I'd watch all of these, which is a huge improvement from having to snooze through Melee finals.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Either don't start this, or at least explain in depth your reasoning.

I believe Evo is the tournament that manage to gather eastern players the most, especially Japan, and western fighitng games(which are very few) are crippled by default on that front.

It's obviously just my opinion and I don't need to explain it in depth, but sure, why not.

Sam Sho is the most neutral focused traditional fighting game in the Evo lineup (Smash might be arguably more neutral heavy), it's also the one of the easiest modern fighting games to pick up with its minimal focus on combos and execution and very little meter management required. The game is just elegantly designed, and it's no mistake that competitive players from other communities are flocking to it. It's not just Japanese players either. Hop on FGC Twitter and almost everybody is putting in Sam Sho work.

I like MK11 a lot. It's easily my favorite in the series. The meter system and variations make it a much more convoluted game than Sam Sho, however. And that's before you even get into the mechanical quirks of NRS games. Plus, the game is an absolute nightmare for arcade stick players.

You're better than this JusDoIt.

EDIT: I just remembered you're a Laura player, you're not better than this. Carry on.

Well, that's...how you start the fight and finish it quickly.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
As for SC6 , I think it's one and done , though it can continue life after EVO if it gets a S2. They also sold well enough to get a SC7, probably with more budget this time, in 5-6 years.

Yeah it feels like it'll mirror SC5 - one and done as an Evo main game, but likely a decent scene for years after, with some pretty well attended Evo side tournaments. Especially if it gets a season 2, I can see the community supporting it for a good three more years. After that, we can return to SC2 side tournies while we wait for SC7!

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather see SC3AE side tournies- that was a much better game. Too bad it's arcade-only. If I see Okubo or if there's a Soul panel at EVO- I"m flat out asking about it.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Wow way less mk11 sign ups than i expected, wild that samsho got past it to me

Dbfz year 1 dip is kinda like a lesser version of the sfv year 1 dip, tekken gain is heartwarming to see

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
It's obviously just my opinion and I don't need to explain it in depth, but sure, why not.

Sam Sho is the most neutral focused traditional fighting game in the Evo lineup (Smash might be arguably more neutral heavy), it's also the one of the easiest modern fighting games to pick up with its minimal focus on combos and execution and very little meter management required. The game is just elegantly designed, and it's no mistake that competitive players from other communities are flocking to it. It's not just Japanese players either. Hop on FGC Twitter and almost everybody is putting in Sam Sho work.

I like MK11 a lot. It's easily my favorite in the series. The meter system and variations make it a much more convoluted game than Sam Sho, however. And that's before you even get into the mechanical quirks of NRS games. Plus, the game is an absolute nightmare for arcade stick players.

Well, that's...how you start the fight and finish it quickly.
That's fair, but the way you said it just came across(to me at least) like you were belittling MK, specially when it comes to a very different games and whatnot, and as a fan of the genre it bothers me when people diminish any game in the FGC(even the ones i do not play), since i think the toxicity(which was not your case) of the FGC hurts the potential of the genre overall.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly with bbtag getting that many signups after releasing so closely to 2018 the tourney, ima just say it's a trend with the samsho evidence as well lol. Ppl might just want to play the freshest thing?

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly with bbtag getting that many signups after releasing so closely to 2018 the tourney, ima just say it's a trend with the samsho evidence as well lol. Ppl might just want to play the freshest thing?

My assumption is that there's also probably some allure to it being more wide open in terms of it being anyone's prize for the taking. Ok, well, not anyone. Some chump like me that lacks good fundamentals isn't going to stroll into Evo and take Samurai Showdown just because it's new. But it's also more of a wild west in terms of it not just being dominated already by the pros who have studied it backwards and forwards and know all the matchups.

TruSpindash

Oct 27, 2017
Those are some really good numbers all around, even BBTag in last apparently had the highest last place numbers in Evo history.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
SamSho being that high is pretty cool. Actually, numbers in general are really good.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm so happy to see UNIST getting some love. I hope it can stick around for a few years, especially because of the not so secretly new edition probably being announced at EVO.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
My assumption is that there's also probably some allure to it being more wide open in terms of it being anyone's prize for the taking. Ok, well, not anyone. Some chump like me that lacks good fundamentals isn't going to stroll into Evo and take Samurai Showdown just because it's new. But it's also more of a wild west in terms of it not just being dominated already by the pros who have studied it backwards and forwards and know all the matchups.
This is definitely a big factor and why the new games usually have a high amount of cross entrants. We saw the same bump with Pokken in 2016. Personally, when i went to Evo, I entered Pokken even though I only played it pretty casually because it was decently simple to play, the majority of competition hasn't been solidified yet and it's only a $10 add on when you're already registered to another game. SamSho seems to be an even more straightforward game to play and released even closer to Evo.

Dec 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
The communication around DBFZ and its future has been so utterly bizarre. There was so much hype around the game and then... nothing.

It's so good but could really use a "Super DBFZ" update. People love playing it and spectators really enjoy watching it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
People in here still blaming Toei for DBFZ when Shueisha was the problem?

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh i dont think the shuisei stopping tournies thing really affected the scene as so many ppl attribute, cant think of a single high lvl player that dropped the game because of this and i really really doubt ppl not placing were like "welp why should i bother now that the money is gone"

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
DBFZ is hurt by poor communication, slow release schedule on the season 2 DLC, how long it took announce tour details, and general view of the game being incredibly slow. I don't think I've ever met a TO excited to run that game with how long top 8 takes and everyone I talk to at majors has almost always said "oh that match is still going?"

Game needs a lot of work to live past year 3.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Tbh i dont think the shuisei stopping tournies thing really affected the scene as so many ppl attribute, cant think of a single high lvl player that dropped the game because of this and i really really doubt ppl not placing were like "welp why should i bother now that the money is gone"
Yeah I think people attribute the drop to that just because it's an easy thing to point to from the outside looking in. I reality, players are finding the game isn't holding up in a way people wanted. I think viewership has seen significant drops as well? Though doing 1k+ at Evo is nowhere near dead game status either.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think people attribute the drop to that just because it's an easy thing to point to from the outside looking in. I reality, players are finding the game isn't holding up in a way people wanted. I think viewership has seen significant drops as well? Though doing 1k+ at Evo is nowhere near dead game status either.

I feel like the drop is pretty natural, but thats me going for a 1:1 comparison to the stats of other games when they were new (sf lost like 2500 ppl after the first year or something) and it's not really neat like that in practice. But i definitely expected ~30-50% drop from the first year just going off of other year 1s. I think bandai did drop the ball a bit in the streaming arena compared to sf, mk, and tekken, but i also think dbz can be kind of a trial to watch especially if you arent following the scene. The games are long and the things that might get you hype are harder to see by casual viewers. But in the end i think the main reason (which is imo the case for most of the post-year 1 dips) is that a lot of the signups were just trying the game out and then got culled when playing the actual game.

I think you can think about particular problems that you can attribute to this, but in my view, like the other year 1s, i think ppl just realized they werent good and dropped the game. Ppl will profess one reason or another but it's hard for me to buy, especially when the best players for year 1 games are still around for year 2

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
This should be SFV's lowest year. If the Update is good SFV should do better next year and then the eventual SF6 announcement/release should boost numbers after that.

SamSho being footsie focused is a fucking meme lmao. That game is pure griminess.

Sam sho has its dirt , but lets not go too far on that end. Its still pretty solid.