• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For the record theres no reason Smash 4 should've been saddled with two stocks when Brawl had three

People were too stubborn in their ways

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i have to be honest, i suck in fighting games, never play them and overall not interested, so i never watched EVO before...BUT MAN a friend of mine make me watch this smash ultimate final and i was instalnty hooked, i jumped, screamed like this was a soccer game, cheered that mexican guy, THAT COMEBACK OMG, that was amazing, i really enjoyed it, so much talented players...now i cant wait for next EVO
Smash is honestly the only fighting game I play because I suck too badly at more traditional ones, and the differences in mechanics means I can do ok in Smash where I'm utterly terrible at stuff like Street Fighter or Dragon Ball FighterZ

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Watching the Max reacts video for the reveals for Soul and for Sam Sho make it so much better because you can hear the crowd go nuts

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the record theres no reason Smash 4 should've been saddled with two stocks when Brawl had three

Smash 4 with 3 stocks would've been fine with many matchups, but there were a few characters that tended to drag games out to time a lot even at 2 stocks, and with 3 stocks I feel like any match with those characters would be very liable to end in time which would be problematic

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Two Stocks were also standard on For Glory so it made it easier for players to adapt and people didn't let go even when it was clear S4 was volatile af

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like every time I popped in to watch something this weekend, another crazy great match was happening. What a great tournament.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Dude, that Smash finals was awesome. I have never really been into Smash tourneys but this was hype as hell. Felt like every game was close. I can see myself watching more Smash Ultimate tourneys now that I got a taste.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
They need to make Evo a 4 day 12 game event. None of these games deserve to leave and more additions are inbound. The only one I see in danger is Crosstag And soul caliber if the upswing isn't strong enough but you got Granblue next year and possibly Guilty Gear+KOF depending on their release dates

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Before I go to bed I want to say great tournament top to bottom.

As for 2020, I don't see any major changes to the lineup, mainly given that we are inching towards the end of the generation.

Locks:
Street Fighter V
Tekken 7
Smash Ultimate
Dragonball FighterZ
Mortal Kombat 11
Soul Calibur VI

Probably Safe:
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle (I only hesitate just in case Guilty Gear releases early next year, but with 2.0 coming out in November this should stick around for at least one more year)

Wild Card:
Samurai Showdown
Under Night in Birth

We will probably see at most two changes to the lineup. KOF XV doesn't have a release window so unless someone pulls a Mortal Kombat (announces in December, releases in April) there won't be a new game in the field. Any changes would have to come with already released games.

Either way goodnight my friends and game on! Maybe this time I will dedicate myself to getting better at Street Fighter
I think DBFZ has a good chance to be dropped.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that MKLEO is only 18 and won smash EVO. This is nuts.
for smash, not really.
iirc Lima was like 17. Captain Zack who he beat was like 17
When Zero first won he was either a teenager or 20 tops.

this is just offhead memory.
Smash has had plenty of teenager winners of tournaments, evo and others.

The Melee guys like Leffen, Armada, Mew2king, Hungrybox, mango were all teenagers when they first started winning in Smash I believe.
young guys win in smash

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
does smash.gg website have entrance number breakdowns?

I want to know if the sam sho numbers reflect it's positioning from the PR. It's Twitch viewership doesn't reflect it which was below BBTag.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
S9nFrAI.gif

¡Vámonos al Ángel!

¡Vámonos al Ángel!
What piece of media is this wonderfully overdramatic eagle from?

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
This year Evo was amazing and I can say it was better then last year. Disappointed in no Melee and KoF14, I think it could of shared Friday spot with Soulcaibur VI for Top 8.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Whew, good EVO with some solid announcements!
Lol @ them excluding Infiltration from the ending package.

Good

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Honestly this was a great EVO - every top 8 was hype that I watched and plenty of great matches all around.

What game will they remove for GG? Blazblue is getting the 2.0 patch, SamSho had a great showing so maybe UNIST?

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Personally, I think Granblue has a LOT to prove before being declared EVO worthy, pretty graphics alone don't cut it. So far the game is looking a bit too simple to remain interesting in the long term.

And yes, I'm aware that simplicity is also Samurai Shodown's bread and butter, but when done in that incredibly tense way, it leads to a very interesting game (good showing this year, shame about the sea of Genjuros, but balancing patches can fix that issue). Granblue, so far, feels like a much simpler Guilty Gear with less interesting characters.

Of course, the game isn't done yet, so all of that could change. I personally would love to eat some delicious crow for being wrong here, but so far I'm not convinced.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
On my flight back home from EVO, fantastic experience all around.

DBFZ winners finals was the best match of the weekend IMO, those blocks from Go1 were ungodly.

I have no interest in playing SC6 but that top 8 was so good.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Locks: Smash Ultimate, Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, Under Night, MK11.

Wildcards: DBFZ, SC6, SamSho, BBCTB.

I see every other game announced after EVO 2020 tho. Maybe Grandblue will be the 10th game because SPONSORED BY CYGAMES.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
...yeah, I forgot MK was a Warner Bros. joint, never mind. SoulCal it is, then.
NRS puts big support in every year, plus there will be an MK movie either that just came out or or will be coming out. MK 11 has only been out since April. SoulCalibur will be there too, I would happily put money on it. Bandai/Namco puts interest into it plus we will have Season 2 in full swing. SamSho will be bigger than ever especially with things happening like Justin dropping out of Street Fighter mid weekend to put effort to SamSho as well we multiple EVO champs in the mix. Anime games will take the hit. There is no way that there would be DBZ/UN/Granblue/BBxTag all on the official stack. Just my opinion of course but I feel safe with it.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
The current situation seems almost unprecedented with continued support and more and more games.

Unist getting a major update

SamSho already announced to be getting another season

SC6 major update + another season of characters

Tekken 7 another major update + another season of characters

BBTag major update + several characters

SF5 likely getting one more major update announced at Capcom Cup as well and Summer + Winter characters

MK11 Netherrealm seems intent to support the game longer as well so it might not be the usual NRS game situation

Granblue is coming in Feb

Kof 15 next year

Guilty Gear next year

I think you can atleast ignore Guilty Gear and Kof as I don't think they will be out before Evo

Smash and DBFZ are the only 2 games where future support past already announced stuff is uncertain. Obviously Smash is a lock regardless

JohnnyJoestar

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Aside from SFV, Tekken and Smash I don't really think anything can be considered a guarantee for next year. A lot of games did well in entrants this time but a lot can happen in a year. I hope UNI can pull off a second run at least.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I think Granblue has a LOT to prove before being declared EVO worthy, pretty graphics alone don't cut it. So far the game is looking a bit too simple to remain interesting in the long term.

And yes, I'm aware that simplicity is also Samurai Shodown's bread and butter, but when done in that incredibly tense way, it leads to a very interesting game (good showing this year, shame about the sea of Genjuros, but balancing patches can fix that issue). Granblue, so far, feels like a much simpler Guilty Gear with less interesting characters.

Of course, the game isn't done yet, so all of that could change. I personally would love to eat some delicious crow for being wrong here, but so far I'm not convinced.
Why does every keep saying granblue is simple? What does simple mean anymore