• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
The current situation seems almost unprecedented with continued support and more and more games.

Unist getting a major update

SamSho already announced to be getting another season

SC6 major update + another season of characters

Tekken 7 another major update + another season of characters

BBTag major update + several characters

SF5 likely getting one more major update announced at Capcom Cup as well and Summer + Winter characters

MK11 Netherrealm seems intent to support the game longer as well so it might not be the usual NRS game situation

Granblue is coming in Feb

Kof 15 next year

Guilty Gear next year

I think you can atleast ignore Guilty Gear and Kof as I don't think they will be out before Evo

Smash and DBFZ are the only 2 games where future support past already announced stuff is uncertain. Obviously Smash is a lock regardless
Honestly if they keep the lineup the same next year I'm game. This is probably the most well rounded lineup I can think of. Hoping that KOF and Guilty Gear are post EVO. next yea so that the remaining games run their course. I still stand my previous post where I think they should add a Thursday

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sunday was awesome. Got into the general seating area in the middle of the 1st match of BBTAG and stayed until we were finally free now. Missed seeing Ono on stage cause I needed to get food but was able to catch all the other announcements. That Tekken codec was such a massive and hilarious troll. Favorite Top 8 had to be Tekken 7. Got a shitload of pics (will upload some later in the week). Forgot to fully charge camera battery so I have very few T7 and Ultimate pics.

Stuck around a bit at the After Party. The esports arena look nice (got classic controllers hanging like a chandelier). Don't know why the VIP rooms need an extra V, but it probably sounds corny. I saw a few FGC personalities, but since I don't socialize and mingle, I didn't shake their hands or try to take photos with them.

Overall, despite botching my arrival to Vegas, I still had one hell of a time. I'm definitely coming back next year, with hopefully less screw-ups

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The current situation seems almost unprecedented with continued support and more and more games.

Unist getting a major update

SamSho already announced to be getting another season

SC6 major update + another season of characters

Tekken 7 another major update + another season of characters

BBTag major update + several characters

SF5 likely getting one more major update announced at Capcom Cup as well and Summer + Winter characters

MK11 Netherrealm seems intent to support the game longer as well so it might not be the usual NRS game situation

Granblue is coming in Feb

Kof 15 next year

Guilty Gear next year

I think you can atleast ignore Guilty Gear and Kof as I don't think they will be out before Evo

Smash and DBFZ are the only 2 games where future support past already announced stuff is uncertain. Obviously Smash is a lock regardless

I was thinking the same thing. The games out now are all in pretty good places support wise. I just wish I had the time (and the skill but that's another story) to play them all (or even more than just one!).

Still makes me sad that MvC Infinite had to end up being what it was, and then die... not having an active MvC game hurts.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Goddamn the Top 8s I missed were all so hype!!

It's a shame I'm basically spoiled on the ultimate winner of all of them. I'm watching Tekken's right now and there's a round with an insane comeback in Take vs Noroma. That super off a stage transition was just beautiful!!

Lakes like that actually exist

The real thing looks more unreal than the Tekken version. Tekken's is an ugly murky pond in comparison, but I guess it really wasn't worth the processing budget to do all that reflection.

EDIT: Arslan is a beast!

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Reading the thread...

Look guys, I get and wholeheartedly subscribe to those Woolie jokes about Leeroy Smith, there is SOME actual resemblance, but fookin' hell that Guilty Gear character looks nothing like him.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the thread...

Look guys, I get and wholeheartedly subscribe to those Woolie jokes about Leeroy Smith, there is SOME actual resemblance, but fookin' hell that Guilty Gear character looks nothing like him.
Any black character male or female in anything he is slightly into or aware of is sent to him(Also Unroolie,Hellpockets and Brenan)
He is big in the FGC and with how rare it is to have darkskin characters and also dreads things get out of hand.
Plus he wants this and searches. Being starved for representation is a big deal especially how diverse the FGC is. Stereotypes next best thing

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Tekken 7 was definitely the best top 8. The whole Arslan Ash vs. Knee rivalry is something you couldn't even write in a movie it's so crazy

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I've been watching EVO since 2015 or so and I think this is the best one I've seen.

A top 8 after Top 8 of awesome shit, with Tekken 7 in particular being sublime.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
How did unist do stream-wise compared to dbz? They were pretty close in terms of signups

Also yeah dbz and tekken top 8s were sick, pretty happy shanks made it so far

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"honey I hit the jackpot!"
"oh my god really?! how much did you win babe?!"
"1200 bucks!"
"
IgMyx.gif
"

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Viewership was very healthy the whole event. I think MK11 was the only time viewers decreased from the previous game but that was on extremely late.
Thankfully that wasn't on Sunday like some people wanted, that top 8 was a complete snoozefest and took forever.
BBTag ain't that popular but it was a good opener with it's fast pace and made sure things mostly kept to schedule. Maybe UNICLR can open Sunday next year.

Oct 27, 2017
Alameda, CA
Viewership was very healthy the whole event. I think MK11 was the only time viewers decreased from the previous game but that was on extremely late.
Thankfully that wasn't on Sunday like some people wanted, that top 8 was a complete snoozefest and took forever.
BBTag ain't that popular but it was a good opener with it's fast pace and made sure things mostly kept to schedule. Maybe UNICLR can open Sunday next year.

Whatever sponsorship deals they have set up for the NRS streams need to be rewritten, because those extremely long breaks every 2-3 matches just destroy all hype.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I love fighting games. Thanks for watching. Hope you liked our show and enjoyed my commentary with Aris.

It really feels like a special event when you and Aris do commentary together cause he doesn't travel much.
TWT will be insane this year, I really hope we get to see more of these Pakistani monsters make their way out to play the big dogs soon.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Anyone know why that MK11 Top 8 was such a mess? Was it technical issues or were they mandated to advertise Slipknot and Korn after every match for 15-30 minutes?

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know why that MK11 Top 8 was such a mess? Was it technical issues or were they mandated to advertise Slipknot and Korn after every match for 15-30 minutes?

The advertising stuff really winds me up hard. Kills all momentum. Maybe the pros like it because they get breathers between matches but I honestly don't want to have Roadrunners bad bands constantly played at me. If it was Napalm Death, I'd be alright with it, but please, no more.

Oct 27, 2017

It didn't help that MK11 was 3/5 the whole top eight and there weren't any hype matchups, it felt like the same NRS top 8 as previous games (SonicFox, Dragon, Hayatei, etc.). Even as a huge fan of the game it felt like a slog.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Why does every keep saying granblue is simple? What does simple mean anymore
This is based on my Beta impressions, so it's perfectly fine for anyone to disagree, but the game feels a bit slow and the skill ceiling doesn't seem high enough for the long term. Right now, it feels like the only things that could qualify it as an EVO game are that it is new and the graphics look awesome, but it's missing something... It just doesn't feel like a very exciting title to play or watch compared to the competition. It's supposed to be this more considerate, slower footsie based style game with simpler execution, but as it stands I feel that Samurai Shodown does a much better job at covering that niche. If you have some minutes to spare, maybe check out the impressions from Maximilian or Rooflemonger on YouTube, I remember that, at the time, their opinions pretty much mirrored my own.

That is not to say the game won't be awesome, obviously. I am buying the hell out of it as soon as it comes out, and I'm 100% certain it will be a good game, just maybe not "EVO good". But as I've said before, it might all change between now and release, this is just my opinion based on the Beta and the most recent gameplay.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder to those flying out of Vegas today to take your fight sticks out of your bags for the TSA check if you don't want to waste your and everyone else's time.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This is based on my Beta impressions, so it's perfectly fine for anyone to disagree, but the game feels a bit slow and the skill ceiling doesn't seem high enough for the long term. Right now, it feels like the only things that could qualify it as an EVO game are that it is new and the graphics look awesome, but it's missing something... It just doesn't feel like a very exciting title to play or watch compared to the competition. It's supposed to be this more considerate, slower footsie based style game with simpler execution, but as it stands I feel that Samurai Shodown does a much better job at covering that niche. If you have some minutes to spare, maybe check out the impressions from Maximilian or Rooflemonger on YouTube, I remember that, at the time, their opinions pretty much mirrored my own.

That is not to say the game won't be awesome, obviously. I am buying the hell out of it as soon as it comes out, and I'm 100% certain it will be a good game, just maybe not "EVO good". But as I've said before, it might all change between now and release, this is just my opinion based on the Beta and the most recent gameplay.
It's coming from Arc System Works and Cygames, if it's not at EVO 2020, I'll eat my hat. They were running ads for that game all weekend long

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I still can't get over how amazing Smash Ultimate Top 8 was. A complete turnaround from what happened last year with Smash 4.

That's what happens when you legitimately have the best players in the world going at it and not some guys that got exposed the minute their main got nerfed. Don't want to hate on CaptainZack & Lima but they're no MKLeo or Tweek who have shown incredible ability with multiple characters at an elite level. It really felt like we were watching the top 2 players in the world in that GF.

TheDoldrums

Nov 10, 2017
I'm still in a haze from Smash last night. What a spectacle. How am I supposed to work today?

Protobanham is so electric. Absolutely crushed he won't be at Smash Con, he brought so much excitement to that top 8. He only loses to elite players in very close sets.

It really feels like Leo has Arsene behind him in big moments. The pokemon switch punish to destroy Tweek's 2nd stock in Game 4 and the sublime movement and read to take the final stock in that game are both incredible moments that need to be on any Leo highlight reel. What a talent.

I hope Tweek comes back with a vengeance. I love this game.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cygames has been a big sponsor of Evo for a while, not to mention they also sponsor individual players. Granblue Fantasy VS is an absolute lock for Evo 2020.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I think BBTag will be replaced by Granblue for the main lineup otherwise same lineup as this year unless DBFZ just really dies competitively and also support for it is done