• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Fuck it. I've resisted for too long, finally had to buy Tekken despite not playing one since 3.

Sadly the game doesn't provide the tools for beginners to learn the game, you will have to rely on YouTube videos and community support (via forums, discord) to learn the game properly.

But if you stay and learn the game, I think you will have a great time. I feel like this learning phase is extremely rewarding, each time you play you learn something new and improve in the game.

Enjoy man, Tekken 7 is my favorite fighting game this generation, it's fucking great.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly the game doesn't provide the tools for beginners to learn the game, you will have to rely on YouTube videos and community support (via forums, discord) to learn the game properly.

But if you stay and learn the game, I think you will have a great time. I feel like this learning phase is extremely rewarding, each time you play you learn something new and improve in the game.

Enjoy man, Tekken 7 is my favorite fighting game this generation, it's fucking great.
Tekken needs to have a tutorial on the level of UNIST
And even better maybe

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I missed everything this weekend, what stuff should I watch?

Soul Calibur VI and SFV Finals were the best. The level of skill and character varieties on display in those Top 8s were spectacular. Tekken 7 and BlazBlue were also a lot of fun to watch, but there's way more overlapping characters being used between the players which makes things less exciting for me, but I'd watch those too. DBZ was okay, but the matches take so long and all really start to bleed together especially since there was so little character variety. The first parts of the SamSho Top 8 are fun, especially with Valle's Galford, but all the Genjuros and Infilitration's massacre through Losers (as Genjuro of course) killed the hype. I'm not into the MK scene, but MK11 was alright I guess; it felt like DBZ where a lot of the rounds just started to feel so similar and really bleed together.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Soul Calibur VI and SFV Finals were the best. The level of skill and character varieties on display in those Top 8s were spectacular. Tekken 7 and BlazBlue were also a lot of fun to watch, but there's way more overlapping characters being used between the players which makes things less exciting for me, but I'd watch those too. DBZ was okay, but the matches take so long and all really start to bleed together especially since there was so little character variety. The first parts of the SamSho Top 8 are fun, especially with Valle's Galford, but all the Genjuros and Infilitration's massacre through Losers (as Genjuro of course) killed the hype. I'm not into the MK scene, but MK11 was alright I guess; it felt like DBZ where a lot of the rounds just started to feel so similar and really bleed together.

Thanks!

It makes me miss Killer Instinct so much, character variety was always amazing. Lots of top 8s had 7-8 different characters. Or more if Rico was swapping his fighters a lot, since he was good with basically all of them.

KI was the best ☹️

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I missed everything this weekend, what stuff should I watch?
Tekken 7 Top 8 was epic. DBZ finals were fantastic. SFV top 8 was solid. SoulCalibur Top 8 was great. MK top 8 had one or two good matches but almost all went to last game which dragged a bit and Geras is boring as fuck. SamSho had some great play but can be slow if you do not love the game. Smash top 8 was hype I heard but have not watched yet

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Tekken 7 Top 8 was epic. DBZ finals were fantastic. SFV top 8 was solid. SoulCalibur Top 8 was great. MK top 8 had one or two good matches but almost all went to last game which dragged a bit and Geras is boring as fuck. SamSho had some great play but can be slow if you do not love the game. Smash top 8 was hype I heard but have not watched yet
MK 11 top 8 was the weakest. Indeed Geras is boring. All his grab animations are way too long. Also SonicFox dominating and doing quick work of everyone did not help at making it fun to watch.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
MK 11 top 8 was the weakest. Indeed Geras is boring. All his grab animations are way too long. Also SonicFox dominating and doing quick work of everyone did not help at making it fun to watch.
Yeah, and when Fox is able to toss out "Mercy" in the top 8 multiple times and still have no problems there is an issue with competition

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you told me in 2017 that Joker would win Evo and not in P5A at that I'd have called you crazy. So cool to see him win Evo in Smash.
Heck, Persona characters almost won another Evo title as well in BBTAG. Clearly these characters have plenty of fighting potential and we need Persona 5 Arena. Hopefully it's the next thing after Granblue.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

Only thing that would've come close to saving that top 8 was TekkenMaster making it to GF and playing SonicFox for a rematch of their amazing 2015 GF. Tekken Master had a great losers bracket run too, unfortunately he barely lost to Dragon who got blown out by Fox.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Only thing that would've come close to saving that top 8 was TekkenMaster making it to GF and playing SonicFox for a rematch of their amazing 2015 GF. Tekken Master had a great losers bracket run too, unfortunately he barely lost to Dragon who got blown out by Fox.
yeah I really wanted him to go to Grand Finals with SonicFox. It would have been a nice attempt at revenge at least

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I went to EVO this year as a spectator and had an amazing time. I loved the energy and all the excitement. Being in the arena on Sunday was wild. Going to make this trip every year that I can going forward.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yea Mortal Kombat top 8 was a bit boring because it's the same matchups and usually thensame results we've been seeing. Highlights were seeing Afoxygrandpas Shang Tsung.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I went to EVO this year as a spectator and had an amazing time. I loved the energy and all the excitement. Being in the arena on Sunday was wild. Going to make this trip every year that I can going forward.
If you dont mind me asking, how much does it cost for the entrance, accommodation etc..? How many days were you there and did you have to buy your pass in advance?
I want to go there next year

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
To go to the show on Friday and Saturday along with the ticket to grand finals on Sunday it's about $100. You can get rooms pretty cheap depending on how close or far you want to be from the Mandalay Bay. Me and 8 other friends split a suit at the Mandalay Bay so that can be kinda pricey but ultimately not that bad considering we were there for four nights.

Yes you want to buy your pass in advance. It's cheaper. Also Grand Finals Sold out this year before the event so jump on that sooner rather than later.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
This is just an estimate, but it's interesting.

In order from shortest to longest:

1. BB TAG
2. UNIST
3. SFV
4. Sam Sho (tie)
4. Tekken 7 (tie)
6. MK11
7. SC 6
8. DBFZ
9. Smash Ultimate

The first three are 90 minutes or less. The next four averaged 1 hour and 45 minutes. The last two average 2 hours and 20 minutes.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I need to start taking Monday off for these instead of using Sunday to travel back from Vegas. I miss so much stuff.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México

1. BB TAG
2. UNIST
3. SFV
4. Sam Sho (tie)
4. Tekken 7 (tie)
6. MK11
7. SC 6
8. DBFZ
9. Smash Ultimate

The first three are 90 minutes or less. The next four averaged 1 hour and 45 minutes. The last two average 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Holy shit, Ultimate took that long? I swer it flew by to the point I was in favour on the 'all the matches shouldve been Bo5'

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I know SFV was 3/5 the whole way but I'm not sure about BBTAG or Unist. Were they also 3/5 the whole way or 2/3 until WF, LF, and GF?

Holy shit, Ultimate took that long? I swer it flew by to the point I was in favour on the 'all the matches shouldve been Bo5'

You guys want 2am GF's instead? LOL

The argument against 3/5 for Smash in top 8 in the past was that it would take too long and delay every other game ahead of it. But since it's last now, go for it and have a blast I guess. Not sure if Wiz and company would be down for a 4 hour Smash block tho.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Watched smash for the first time really, thought it was pretty entertaining. Wasn't watching that closely but I enjoyed a lot of the matches I saw. Makes me want to try the game again. (I'm terrible at it)

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The only top 8s I missed completely were MK11 and Under Night. Slept in on Saturday and crashed early. Caught all of SC6, Tekken, and SF5. Caught most of SamSho, and about half of BBxT and DBFZ. Only a couple rounds of Smash cuz I had to go to bed for work.

Great year though. Great year indeed. First year watching EVO since 2015, and boy am I glad I did.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I know SFV was 3/5 the whole way but I'm not sure about BBTAG or Unist. Were they also 3/5 the whole way or 2/3 until WF, LF, and GF?

I think they tried 2/3 with BBTAG a little bit at last year's EVO and found that they blew through almost all of pools too fast, so they eventually switched everything over to 3/5.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
BBTAG is 3/5 through the whole tournament. UNIST 2/3 until WF, LF, and GF.

Interesting, that means that Unist is technically longer than SFV when you consider the amount of games played. SFV matches go by pretty fast and BBTAG is even faster.

I think Justin wants Samsho to be 3/5 for all of top 8. He brought it up today on his Twitter. That probably would have definitely pushed it past the 2 hour mark according to that chart though.

Games like Samsho and Tekken aren't too long so 3/5 top 8 is doable for them. But Smash and DBZ probably shouldn't considering how long they are.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with 2/3 through winners finals for the 3D games, SF, and SS. They should be consistent and always make losers semis 3/5, though, when they play winners finals first. Doing a 3/5 and then going back to 2/3 for one match, then back to 3/5 for the rest, is silly and confusing to the audience.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like BBTAG could have been first to 5 for all of top 8 and still end up being the fastest tournament to run.
You're probably not wrong.
Interesting, that means that Unist is technically longer than SFV when you consider the amount of games played. SFV matches go by pretty fast and BBTAG is even faster.

I think Justin wants Samsho to be 3/5 for all of top 8. He brought it up today on his Twitter. That probably would have definitely pushed it past the 2 hour mark according to that chart though.

Games like Samsho and Tekken aren't too long so 3/5 top 8 is doable for them. But Smash and DBZ probably shouldn't considering how long they are.
I felt like 2/3 was fine for Samsho.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

1. BB TAG
2. UNIST
3. SFV
4. Sam Sho (tie)
4. Tekken 7 (tie)
6. MK11
7. SC 6
8. DBFZ
9. Smash Ultimate

lmao at the gameplay time of MK11 compared to it's actual 4 hour runtime.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like BBTAG could have been first to 5 for all of top 8 and still end up being the fastest tournament to run.

I think the sweet spot should be the 1 hour 30-40 minute that many games landed around. Your suggestion wouldn't make BBTAG longer than 2/3 DBZ, but it's still unnecessary. We could be looking at 9 game sets lol.

The only point of 5/9 BBTAG, 4/7 SFV, or 3/5 Tekken 7 is to make sure every game gets around 2 hours of actual matches instead of being the preferential amount for the game considering its length and pace.