• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Baldwin admits to being a misogonyst jerk basically:

I've bullied women. I've overlooked women. I've underestimated women. Not as a rule. From time to time I've done what a lot of men do, which is… when you don't treat women the same way you treat men. You don't. I'm from a generation where you really don't and I'd like that to change. I really would like that to change,
[...]
I think it's important for us to try to make the workplace and beyond not only comfortable and right and fair and appropriate but as productive, as well," he said. "I think a lot of what we're dealing with within this issue is hurting our business. It's making it less productive."
[...]
I knew of certain things that there were rumors of things happening to people, but I didn't necessarily know the scope when you hear the hundreds and hundreds of women who are complaining about this," Baldwin said. "It's been a very eye-opening experience for me personally. We've got to be vigilant in a new way to make sure that everybody is comfortable and that we get the job done together that we're there to do.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/02/alec-ba...l&xid=socialflow_facebook_entertainmentweekly

I feel this was a very good thing for him to do. And a grown up thing as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I knew the first post would be a "he doesn't really mean it" or "he is deflecting from worse things obviously" post

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Baldwin admits to being a misogonyst jerk basically:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/02/alec-ba...l&xid=socialflow_facebook_entertainmentweekly

I feel this was a very good thing for him to do. And a grown up thing as well.

Calling it preemptive is suggesting he's a sexual predator who hasn't come clean yet. Is there evidence to that, or is that baseless supposition on your part?

I absolutely agree that saying something like this at this time is very important and the right thing to do, but your thread title is leading.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather people do this and fess up to their shitty behavior than deny deny deny
It doesn't make it better
It doesn't make him not an asshole
But at least hes not denying it

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
nice strat. Wondering if he's expecting something to come out or not

If I remember correctly isnt he the one screaming at his daughter on some recorded message? He may have reformed since then, but Im sure if he treated his daughter like that he may have treated women like that as well.

edit: Im hoping the takeaway from all of this isnt that we should grab more pitchforks, but that we should reform as a society since it is clear the problem is the culture, not a few individuals.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I knew the first post would be a "he doesn't really mean it" or "he is deflecting from worse things obviously" post
agreed. I will not use the term witch hunt.. but this has gone from revealing a serious problem in Hollywood to arming people with virtual pitch forks and torches.. I know people don't want to hear this... but going up to shitty people and virtually screaming at them "you're a piece of shit!!!" is not how you fix things.. there are THOUSANDS of people who will NOT come forward, both guilty and victims, because of the demonized environment being created.

hope he is sincere and follows through.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's very positive, a lot of older folks come from a time when this was the norm, so to accept the change and admit to it is the way forward

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's good that he's speaking out about this. It's probably best not to frame it as an indirect admission of guilt unless anything else comes out.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Something's about to drop on him this is a pre emptive strike. However with the wording of it, I don't it will be any major major.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alec Baldwin strikes me as the sort of person that knows he's kind of shitty. Which is admirable in a way. The only question I have is whether he's the type that legitimately tries to improve or the type that thinks acknowledging his problems is the only step he needs to take.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
God dammit, all these actors I used to enjoy and respect turned out to be scum. Now I have to like Alec Baldwin. Fuck.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Every agent in Hollywood must be on the edge of a nervous breakdown right now, all the skeletons they've stuffed in the closet over the years are about to leap out at once and destroy the earning potential of their clients.

I think we all knew that Alec Baldwin was a prick already, we are just getting started. Every day a new scumbag is revealed.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Alex Baldwin has always been thekind of person who knows what the right thing to do is but behaves in a shitty way, possibly due to anger issues. I don't say that as an excuse but an observation. This is a very sensible and mature thing to say, I just hope he puts it into practice.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's possible he's doing it preemptively but it's also possible that recent events have made him question his own behaviours around women and this is genuine. I think it's fair to give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good for him, I guess. I'm so cynical and jaded about Hollywood that I don't know if this kind of revelation is genuine or him attempting to cover up his ass.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Alex Baldwin has always been thekind of person who knows what the right thing to do is but behaves in a shitty way, possibly due to anger issues. I don't say that as an excuse but an observation. This is a very sensible and mature thing to say, I just hope he puts it into practice.
In his podcast and public appearances, he comes off as articulate and generally considerate to guests, but then occasionally he'll have white hot nuclear twitter meltdowns that end with him temporarily deleting his account. That pattern of behavior fits perfectly with what you say, and I think this is a good statement to make, particularly since he had a reputation for being a complete asshole on the set in his early days.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible he's doing it preemptively but it's also possible that recent events have made him question his own behaviours around women and this is genuine. I think it's fair to give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

I think him becoming good friends with Tina Fey, who to me is one of the most feminists of feminists, probably has influenced him a lot. He probably does have a lot of regrets.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah anyone who follows Baldwin knows he's got a habit of acting like a total jerk to pretty much anyone. I suspect that women were either no exeption or treated even worse. Hopefully he's trying to make meaningful change in his life.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who had questionable behavior in the past (not this type), I definitely can look back at my life and realize i did some really really shitty things in the past that I'm not proud of and would never do today.

Part of it is maturity and part of it is the world changing for the better and speaking up about all issues.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Tom Hanks should come out and admit that he's murdered and eaten people in the past. Get ahead of the story.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to avoid being cynical. It seems like he's trying to be sincere and apologize for what he did, instead of simply apologizing for getting caught/outed.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
At least he's smart. I don't think any of this is genuine tho.
that's not a fair response i don't think. shooting someone down when they admit to a fault isn't going to improve anything.

edit, it's also nice to see a celebrity owning up to their mistakes instead of immediately making an excuse "I was drunk" or "im gay" or whatever. This should be encouraged.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever his reasons, it shows maturity and responsibility. This is alot better than what some others have done recently.

that's not a fair response i don't think. shooting someone down when they admit to a fault isn't going to improve anything.

edit, it's also nice to see a celebrity owning up to their mistakes instead of immediately making an excuse "I was drunk." or "im gay" or whatever. This should be encouraged.
Exactly.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
People do change. It's possible (although I've found that a LOT of people also DO NOT change...heh).

I use to be hardcore conservative and always voted republican being raised in the south (was what my parents/many "Christians"/bible thumpers did). I've completely left that behind and thankfully came to my senses. LOL

If I can shed that awful part of my past, and not be a total idiot/drone, anyone can change. I hope it's genuine.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
I think screaming at his daughter was his rock bottom, so he's had time to reflect. Probably. Hope I'm right.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I mean, I totally get it. You have to wonder how many more of these are going to pop out. But he came forward in what seems to be a genuine way. Now if this is to pre-emp what he Things might be a wave of allegations to follow, then yeah, the cynicism is proven
I am speaking generally rather than aiming just at him, it's very fair to be cynical regarding Hollywood and the entertainment industry as whole. Doubly so considering how many people likely kept their mouth shut to their peers' bad behaviour

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
good for him for owning up to stuff. hopefully he will consider it more in his actions going forward

i mean, don't you think you are part of the problem when you say that its not genuine and don't think anyone who has made mistakes cant recover from them?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

He's trying to get out before they can come for him.

Yuck.

Edit: You can not believe Baldwin and still think people have the capacity to change. I don't see why one relates to the other, nor do I see any hypocrisy.

People can change

and this still comes off like a milquetoast self-authored puff piece to pre-empt Baldwin's own "open secret" scandal.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds a bit like damage control to be honest. But if he's sincere good for him

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from a generation where you really don't

Except for all the men your age who do behave appropriately in the workplace.

Lifting that particular deflection from Weinstein's apology letter is not a good look.

Don't blame your generation, own it buddy.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Good that men with an assholic past are changing their views on women. A bit late... but hey.

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There have been stories of him beating Kim Basinger etc for decades.

She was my first crush. The fiend.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
That's definitely very mature of him.

Hopefully this doesn't mean he is just trying to get ahead of the storm and he has an accuser coming forward.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I love seeing this kind of thing. After having listened to his podcast for a couple years, it sounds pretty genuine to me, and I love that. It does no good to pretend like past grievances haven't happened, so it's best to be open and try to move forward. Good on you, Alec.

feminists kind of hate tina fey, but i get what you're saying
Whaaat. Tina Fey is my favorite.