• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
everyone has bad shit in their pasts. don't care who you are. If you've lived a solid 20 years on this planet you got bad shit to your name. Could've been your youth, arrogance, social stature, or whatever. everyone has done something to hurt someone in the past. it's what you do after recognizing your faults and how you handle yourself in the future that matters. people have the capacity to change and everyone should be afforded the option to.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Weird that people immediately jump to impending sexual assault allegations; there's a lot more to sexism that is more pervasive and common than that. I think this statement speaks to that but I guess assault is in the collective consciousness right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that people immediately jump to impending sexual assault allegations; there's a lot more to sexism that is more pervasive and common than that. I think this statement speaks to that but I guess assault is in the collective consciousness right now.

My exact same thoughts, "not treating women the same way you treat men" means a lot of different things, "bullied, overlooked, underestimated" makes me think he is talking about thinking women are just not as capable as men.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My exact same thoughts, "not treating women the same way you treat men" means a lot of different things, "bullied, overlooked, underestimated" makes me think he is talking about thinking women are just not as capable as men.
I agree. I don't see this as him preemptively staving off assault allegations. Not sure where people are getting that from

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll breathe a sigh of relief (small sigh) when it's revealed he's just a mysogonist asshole instead of a groper/assaulter at that point. Until then, the timing, his past, will cause me to judge him in a certain way.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
everyone has bad shit in their pasts. don't care who you are. If you've lived a solid 20 years on this planet you got bad shit to your name. Could've been your youth, arrogance, social stature, or whatever. everyone has done something to hurt someone in the past. it's what you do after recognizing your faults and how you handle yourself in the future that matters. people have the capacity to change and everyone should be afforded the option to.

This is by and large how i think of it as well, this isn't the first time i've seen men i've admired do bad things to women, neither men i know personally or otherwise (and i won't believe any man who says he's never seen what men do to women), and over time it's become easier and easier to figure out the systems in place that pushed or permitted those men to behave like that. And i've had to grow with and beyond those situations, seeing men admit fault, break down over the guilt, continue unabated, or otherwise remain both victims and agents of violent and non violent sexism. I was no less part of it too, i've been generally sexist and behaved with particular disregard for women and their integrity. It's taken me effort and strength of will to shift the tide towards having a positive presence.

The thing with all these recent stories about Hollywood (and others) though, is the overarching sense that is no scarcity of impunity, and that there will never be. It's practical to consider that these men are men like most other men, but they are also not in particularly relevant ways. They have easy access to a lot of capital, both monetary and social, which considered in the perspective of systematic sexism affords them a level of levity and ability to persuade/buy away charges. And that i think is reason enough to justify this heightened scrutiny.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Well...like many of you said, at least it is a start. Stuff like this is beyond me but here's hoping this leads to him changing his behavior.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
These issues are being front and center recently more than they have in the past. It's a good time to talk about it. I was a shithead in my teenage years and going into my 20s towards women. It didn't take any scandals amongst my peers to open my mind about the shit but as long as people are talking about it more and owning up to shit it's a good thing IMO.

I'l give him props.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Alec Baldwin has been an asshole since I was a little boy, and I'm 38 now.

The takeaway I get from this is that he's older now, and he's been working with enough men and women and people of color to maybe realize being the asshole just isn't as advantageous as it used to be when he was a young hotshot actor, with studios banging down his door for him to headline their features.

Age has a way of mellowing a lot of people, or at least opening their eyes to their bullshit. Basically, tldr; I think he's changed, and he's genuine in wanting to change and be better. I do think he's getting ahead of potential "Alec Baldwin is horrible," stories, but he's probably also trying to show solidarity with these women that are coming forward with their stories, but also being transparent in saying that he wasn't perfect by any means when it comes to how he treated women in the past.

As long as he puts actions behind his words, I can't throw stones at him. It's so much better than him denying that he did any wrongdoing, and trying to shut down the conversation.

Last edited:

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I was a straight-up shitbag in my teenage years (30 now) and didn't have much respect for women. I wasn't brought up that way either, but still I believe that my social upbringing played a big part in that as well as other bad opinions I had (small town Kentucky for you). I never groped or physically abused anyone, but words can cause a lot of hurt as well. As time went on, I matured as I grew older into the person I am today, and with that can reflect on my previous shit opinions and beliefs. The goal is to continue growing into a better person since there's always someway that I can improve.

I'm hoping that this is sort of where Baldwin is coming from as well. It's easy to expect the worse, but I'm going to take his words as being genuine. I also hope that more of these celeb's who have made similar mistakes are able to do the same and not hide behind bullshit like "I don't remember that" or "I was drunk." Of course this doesn't include the Weinstein's or Polanski's of the world.

The post below me isn't a good look for Baldwin, hopefully he can improve in this regard.

Last edited:

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
No wonder wealthy dudes hire PR firms to do things like "get out ahead of any problems" when so many people are gullible enough to fall for it...

Damn Rose McGowan is going after the dude on Twitter...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alec-...-after-weinstein-comments-blocks-asia-argento

Argento also tweeted out a photo from Seduced and Abandoned featuring Baldwin, Toback and Polanski, writing, "I found this pic of #romanpolanski, #JamesToback and @AlecBaldwin last week. It's so wrong it took me days to post it." Baldwin replied, "But you realize I produced that doc and interviewed Roman BEFORE these recent allegations?

DNgTKzeVQAEj4Hl.jpg:large

Rita Panahi, an Iranian-Australian columnist for the Herald Sun, tweeted a screenshot of the Argento-Baldwin exchange with the message: "But it was AFTER Polanski had fled justice AFTER drugging & anally raping a child. Get in the bin, @AlecBaldwin. Stay strong, @AsiaArgento."

So what did Baldwin do next? He replied with a link to the Wikipedia page for Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, a strange Polanski truther documentary. Not only have many of the film's claims been refuted, but it was distributed by none other than Harvey Weinstein.​

---

Wow...

Last edited:

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list of Hollywood people that aren't Polanski supporters? Christ.

Edit: read your edit and IT GETS WORSE.

Last edited:

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think we all knew that from that leaked phone call of Baldwin calling his Daughter a Pig that he's a total chode. The question is what's the extent of his sexism, if it's Harvey Weinstein levels then YES he must go.

I don't even know why people worship Baldwin and Kevin Spacey as terrific actors, they have really good charisma admittedly but they never become a character like Johnny Depp and Gary Oldman will do. They just play themselves.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
No idea if he's guenuine or not but that's a true picture of the bigger issue. For every Weinstein there's probably 10 guys who due to age and culture have perpetuated the culture of male elitism and sexism against women even if they're not actually in any way sexual offenders.

It is simply a fact we're talking attitudes once normalised by the prevailing culture that are slowing changing. I fear there is a pre-emotive element here but hope not and that he's just sincerely noting he's been part of an underlying problem and does want to adjust to current cultural norms.

EDIT: just saw the stuff about the twitter meltdown and docu with Toback and Polanski - not the best look

Last edited:

Joohanh

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Helsinki
I was a straight-up shitbag in my teenage years (30 now) and didn't have much respect for women. I wasn't brought up that way either, but still I believe that my social upbringing played a big part in that as well as other bad opinions I had (small town Kentucky for you). I never groped or physically abused anyone, but words can cause a lot of hurt as well. As time went on, I matured as I grew older into the person I am today, and with that can reflect on my previous shit opinions and beliefs. The goal is to continue growing into a better person since there's always someway that I can improve.

I can identify with this, and can also admit that I'm still far from complete in this matter. The last time I realized I was being a douche was two days ago.

Not saying people should just forget all the shit certain people have done as long as they repent and promise to behave, but it's important to allow room for growth. I'm very lucky and grateful that I've been allowed that in my life.

spindashing

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, New York
No wonder wealthy dudes hire PR firms to do things like "get out ahead of any problems" when so many people are gullible enough to fall for it...

Damn Rose McGowan is going after the dude on Twitter...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alec-...-after-weinstein-comments-blocks-asia-argento

Argento also tweeted out a photo from Seduced and Abandoned featuring Baldwin, Toback and Polanski, writing, "I found this pic of #romanpolanski, #JamesToback and @AlecBaldwin last week. It's so wrong it took me days to post it." Baldwin replied, "But you realize I produced that doc and interviewed Roman BEFORE these recent allegations?

DNgTKzeVQAEj4Hl.jpg:large

Rita Panahi, an Iranian-Australian columnist for the Herald Sun, tweeted a screenshot of the Argento-Baldwin exchange with the message: "But it was AFTER Polanski had fled justice AFTER drugging & anally raping a child. Get in the bin, @AlecBaldwin. Stay strong, @AsiaArgento."

So what did Baldwin do next? He replied with a link to the Wikipedia page for Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, a strange Polanski truther documentary. Not only have many of the film's claims been refuted, but it was distributed by none other than Harvey Weinstein.​

---

Wow...

Yikes... That's not a good look at all.