• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No I mean just have him show up and be called "kiddo" or something, just straight up not say his name and not use his regular Spidey outfit. But everyone still knows who he is.

It would be a very hazy legal gray area and almost definitely get them sued.

They could give Tom a new part in the MCU if they wanted to be supremely petty, but using the same character and just not referencing who he is would be transparent and obvious and destroy any chance of a reconciliation with Sony in the future.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Is Zendaya's character considered Marvel or Sony?
No clue.

Popular belief is that she's owned by Sony ... but then again EVERYONE has gone out of their way to make it known that she is not "Mary Jane" but a completely different character that goes by MJ in this MCU movie.

We don't know what her contract looks like or what the full nature of Marvel's deal was so there's not telling.
Some would argue that it would be stupid for her character to not belong to Sony ... I'd argue it's stupid for Sony to have pushed for such heavy integration with the MCU that all the key elements in this SM's universe are people/ events/ things that they legally can't have or speak of now.

Regardless Zendaya can still catch a role in the MCU so that's good and with how things are I'd think Sony would just suck Tom's SM into Venom-verse to act as a soft reboot so he can get away from all the stuff he can't talk about which would mean no friends or w/e anyway.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I mean just have him show up and be called "kiddo" or something, just straight up not say his name and not use his regular Spidey outfit. But everyone still knows who he is.
I would love to see the MCU writers try to tap-dance around using "Spider-Man" and its characters for two hours.

"Why hello, my arachnid friend!"

"You're my favorite web-slinger!"

"Go get 'em, large feline!"

"Doctor Squid has really got the web-crawler on the ropes!"

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Time for the MCU to bust out their new all original character The Arach-Kid

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I think Tom Holland loves being Spidey period. I think he really enjoyed being part of the MCU but to think he would bail on the character now... I just didn't see it happening. Still a huge deal to be Spider-Man.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
It would be a very hazy legal gray area and almost definitely get them sued.

They could give Tom a new part in the MCU if they wanted to be supremely petty, but using the same character and just not referencing who he is would be transparent and obvious and destroy any chance of a reconciliation with Sony in the future.

Huh...do they have the rights to Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider?

I can't actually remember the movie rights. I know Sony doesn't actually have the *Entire* Spider-Man mythos. Apparently a lot of Spider-Verse only got made due to the deal with Marvel at the time allowing them access to a wider variety of characters.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I honestly have no fucking idea how you disentangle this Spidey's backstory from Marvel stuff that Sony will no longer have access to. It seems impossible, frankly, and something that would require a soft reboot at the very least.
Spiderman warps somehow to the Tobey maguire spiderman universe, during the Doc Op timeline.
Thats Spiderman 2-2 for you.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I think they do have access to the full Spider-Man mythos. They can probably even use King Pin? (Kingpin- "He actually was a Spider-Man Villain first, and later became a daredevil villain.")

Also (May 2017 article)
"While rumors that Sony might eventually snatch Spider-Man back are still floating around, the company is still trying to put together a shared cinematic universe out of ancillary Spider-Man characters, such as Venom, Black Cat, and Silver Sable. While it's not known whether these movies will reference the Friendly Neighborhood Wall Crawler in any significant way, it's worth assuming that, at least while Sony's deal with Marvel is still in place, Peter Parker won't be showing his face in any of these films.​
So what's Sony to do? They're trying to build a cinematic universe around the Spider-Man franchise, without having access to Spider-Man himself. While this might sound like a hopeless scenario, there are a lot of excellent stories connected to the Spider-Man mythos that are ripe for the picking, and characters which, with a little tweaking, would easily be able to carry their own movie within this shared universe."​

-------------------
"Sony Pictures owns rights to the Spider-Man and his Spider-Verse although most of their characters are now crossing into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Sony foolishly passed up on deal where they could of owned most of the Marvel universe, but the company decided to just go after Spider-Man. She-Hulk is solely owned by Universal Pictures. Here is the updated visual guide after the Disney-Fox deal is completed. "​

Last edited:

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding kingping. From leaked docs

. Non-Exclusive To SPE. SPE and Marvel share the following:
 "Kingpin" and related characters listed on the attached Schedule 7B, but SPE may not use any of these until after Fox's production rights to Daredevil expire. Marvel's use of Kingpin is restricted to use in connection with Daredevil and other characters with which he appeared prior to 9/15/11.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I have mixed feelings here. I loved Holland's Peter and thought he was wonderful in the ensemble movies with all the characters but I hated his solo movies. If this means this nukes the new "MJ" for exemple or we don't have to suffer Happy's presence in the movies then it's fine.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
We knew there was a finite amount of time that we'd be able to do this, and we told the story we wanted to tell
Kinda hard to believe this when the end and post credits of FFH set so much up and they were building to Sinister Six. I'd find it easier to swallow this exit if it did feel like the story had a natural ending point, but it didn't.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Having none of the MCU stuff in the third Spider-man movie makes zero sense. The MCU is such a big part of both Homecoming and Far From home
Idk as far as I'm concerned Tony Stark was the only important mcu character in both Spider-man. And he's dead. Happy and Nick Fury were just side characters. Tony's death, the snap, and its after effect is already solved in FFH. I mean ofc having none of the MCU stuff will feel a bit jarring, but it is what it is.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Other than Happy not appearing I don't see how it changes the third Spider-Man film much. It will probably be better not to have some MCU character shoehorned in.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see the MCU writers try to tap-dance around using "Spider-Man" and its characters for two hours.

"Why hello, my arachnid friend!"

"You're my favorite web-slinger!"

"Go get 'em, large feline!"

"Doctor Squid has really got the web-crawler on the ropes!"
So they would hire the Netflix MCU writers?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
FFH cliffhanger ending doesn't necessarily need to connect with anything MCU in the third movie really.
I agree.

Holland's Spidey can return to standalone adventures easily, he has big rogue gallery, likable set of friends around him, he can interact with other Spiderverse film heroes/villians. There's' really no rush to come back to MCU, which can eventually happen if they iron out the new deal.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a sense, making Peter and Spider-Man, and every single character, so connected to the MCU world at large was a brillant business move.
It really puts the pressure on Sony; they have now a hollow franchise without vital themes and settings. I wouldn't want to be part of the team for this third movie.

It's gonna be seen as an illegitimate child in a family reunion at the beach :'v

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
In a sense, making Peter and Spider-Man, and every single character, so connected to the MCU world at large was a brillant business move.
It really puts the pressure on Sony; they have now a hollow franchise without vital themes and settings. I wouldn't want to be part of the team for this third movie.

It's gonna be seen as an illegitimate child in a family reunion at the beach :'v

It was actually Sony's idea to heavily integrate MCU elements (Tony Stark) into the Spidey films.

So it's actually a self-inflicted wound by Sony.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No clue.

Popular belief is that she's owned by Sony ... but then again EVERYONE has gone out of their way to make it known that she is not "Mary Jane" but a completely different character that goes by MJ in this MCU movie.

We don't know what her contract looks like or what the full nature of Marvel's deal was so there's not telling.
Some would argue that it would be stupid for her character to not belong to Sony ... I'd argue it's stupid for Sony to have pushed for such heavy integration with the MCU that all the key elements in this SM's universe are people/ events/ things that they legally can't have or speak of now.

Sony owns the movie rights for any character introduced in Spider-man comic books (and mostly associated with him, to exclude some characters that might have debuted there, but branched out later, like the Punisher) based on their old contracts, so it'd be odd if they don't own characters introduced in Spider-man movies that are basically owned by them. Although it is possible that there was some kind of catch in the specific contract for these collaborations making originals non-Spider characters, but there's no reason to assume that yet.

Last edited:

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
The next Spidey movie will be weird to watch.

Like JL cgi stache Cavill. But it's gonna be the whole movie like that.

Shame they couldn't agree. I don't really put blame on anyone, it's an interest game, but we all lose in the end.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Idk as far as I'm concerned Tony Stark was the only important mcu character in both Spider-man. And he's dead. Happy and Nick Fury were just side characters. Tony's death, the snap, and its after effect is already solved in FFH. I mean ofc having none of the MCU stuff will feel a bit jarring, but it is what it is.
That's how I feel too. One of the biggest points of difference with the Holland movies is that they give an on-the-ground view of the MCU that you don't really get in the other movies, and it would suck to lose that. But, it's also not like it's impossible to continue the story from FFH without MCU references. Homecoming/FFH's main tether to the MCU was Peter's relationship with Tony, and FFH felt like an epilogue to that dynamic.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Sony owns any character introduced in Spider-man comic books (and mostly associated with him, to exclude some characters that might have branched out later) based on their old contracts, so it'd be odd if they don't own characters introduced in Spider-man movies that are basically owned by them. Although it is possible that there was some kind of catch in the specific contract for these collaborations making originals non-Spider characters, but there's no reason to assume that yet.

I'm certain all of the characters, excluding the guest stars like Stark and Fury, are Spider-man centric. The only one who might have a loophole is Michelle Jones and that's not certain since she's linked to MJ.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Other than Happy not appearing I don't see how it changes the third Spider-Man film much. It will probably be better not to have some MCU character shoehorned in.
It's about the general world building , scene setting, and character development that happens related o the MCU in those 5 movies prior to the bust, which was a LOT

It's definitely not as simple as which MCU characters can and cannot now appear in the film! Wow.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Look, you want to make a statement: don't go and see Sony's next Spidey movie. Don't watch it 'ironically', just stop giving them your damn money. If it's a flop, or even mediocre financially, it'll push them back towards making up with the MCU. Maybe.

I'll never forgive you weirdos for paying to see Venom.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Look, you want to make a statement: don't go and see Sony's next Spidey movie. Don't watch it 'ironically', just stop giving them your damn money. If it's a flop, or even mediocre financially, it'll push them back towards making up with the MCU. Maybe.

I'll never forgive you weirdos for paying to see Venom.

It's not Venom, it's Rothman.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think if Morbius flop, that could be a wake up call for Sony. How's the creative team behind Morbius? Any chance the movie is actually good?

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I think if Morbius flop, that could be a wake up call for Sony. How's the creative team behind Morbius? Any chance the movie is actually good?

Looking at the director and screenwriter credits, lol no.

The screenwriters were responsible for Dracula Untold, Gods of Egypt and the new Power Rangers film.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I think they do have access to the full Spider-Man mythos. They can probably even use King Pin? (Kingpin- "He actually was a Spider-Man Villain first, and later became a daredevil villain.")

Also (May 2017 article)
"While rumors that Sony might eventually snatch Spider-Man back are still floating around, the company is still trying to put together a shared cinematic universe out of ancillary Spider-Man characters, such as Venom, Black Cat, and Silver Sable. While it's not known whether these movies will reference the Friendly Neighborhood Wall Crawler in any significant way, it's worth assuming that, at least while Sony's deal with Marvel is still in place, Peter Parker won't be showing his face in any of these films.​
So what's Sony to do? They're trying to build a cinematic universe around the Spider-Man franchise, without having access to Spider-Man himself. While this might sound like a hopeless scenario, there are a lot of excellent stories connected to the Spider-Man mythos that are ripe for the picking, and characters which, with a little tweaking, would easily be able to carry their own movie within this shared universe."​

-------------------
"Sony Pictures owns rights to the Spider-Man and his Spider-Verse although most of their characters are now crossing into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Sony foolishly passed up on deal where they could of owned most of the Marvel universe, but the company decided to just go after Spider-Man. She-Hulk is solely owned by Universal Pictures. Here is the updated visual guide after the Disney-Fox deal is completed. "​

They're making MCU She-Hulk as a Disney+ show. Pretty sure Jennifer is just like Bruce and Namor.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
As much as you might want Stan Lee's creations under one roof, I don't think Disney should acquire any more power than they already have. I'd actually be all for the dissolution of the MCU properties if it meant Disney will have less influence.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
As much as you might want Stan Lee's creations under one roof, I don't think Disney should acquire any more power than they already have. I'd actually be all for the dissolution of the MCU properties if it meant Disney will have less influence.

How would you feel about scattering the DC properties from Warner Bros to other studios?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
He knew about Disney's greed.

Also spoiler guys some of us haven't seen far from home yet

Can't believe I'm defending a billion dollar company here, but from a business perspective Disney was investing way more in Spider-Man then they should while Sony got a boatload of money for nearly no work.

Both should just meet halfway.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how easy it could be to write a follow up to FFH that's not in the MCU (it isn't), I just don't get why anyone would want that. Either continue the MCU story or reboot again.

I know Holland's Spidey exists in the world. If they try and do some elseworlds, non-canonical shit with the same actors, what the hell would I even be doing watching it?

Feige just confirmed that Civil War was an Avengers movie. Cap got buried.

That is definitely not what he said lmao