• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
I can't understand why people are getting surpriswd and in some cases offended because the victim named the abuser. I am happy he did, fuck bullies, in the cse of this guy this woman ruined his life so why does he need to be quiet?

The hypocresy of some people...

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of in awe how directly he calls out his abuser.

Do I understand his tweets correctly that he approached youtuber TheQuartering with his story?
Insert heavy sigh here. It's obviously important that stories like his get heard but that's.. a bit unfortunate.

It is extremely unfortunate. If I was in this situation I would absolutely want to speak out. Hell, I would happily use names, too. However, I wouldn't turn to a bigoted media outlet to break my story.

It makes the situation feel a lot more dodgy...

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I have to be careful about what I say, because honestly I'm just not actually educated properly on the matter, but I feel that a lot of this hinges on the fact that game developers aren't really celebrities, unlike actors or singers. Not that famous actors or singers are the only ones that face abuse in their industry, but it really helps to signal boost how shitty someone is when it's someone that's well known that comes forward.

Like until someone with the visibility of, say, Todd Howard, comes forward with something like this, I don't expect an industry wide, public effort to combat this stuff.
Isn't this the same with movies though? The Directors/Game Directors and the actors/Voice actors get a lot of fame, but the crew never gets really recognized.

"JUST GET OVER IT BRAH"

Also " I certainly didnt do a depression over it"

Depression isn't an "ouchie". What the fuck.

Jesus Christ the fucking insensitivity in this fucking forum.
You mean the one coming from you for calling out a guy for making a grammar mistake when he has said he is from Italy? That is a shitty thing to do coming from another non-native English speaker.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It is extremely unfortunate. If I was in this situation I would absolutely want to speak out. Hell, I would happily use names, too. However, I wouldn't turn to a bigoted media outlet to break my story.

It makes the situation feel a lot more dodgy...
Honestly it doesn't seem to me that he "turned" to a media outlet. No one really has picked up this story until today, and even then, the biggest outlet talking about it is gamesindustry.biz

You mean the one coming from you for calling out a guy for making a grammar mistake when he has said he is from Italy? That is a shitty thing to do coming from another non-native English speaker.

It's pointing out that the user was minimizing depression as an overreaction ("certainly").

Btw, pointing out grammar mistakes is definitely not on the same plane as victim blaming

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

The post you quoted is not making fun of the grammar, it's calling them out for trying to diminish the suffering of depression this person experienced over his work on Blizzard, "i get made fun of all the time and don't get depressed" is an absolutely shitty thing to say, a shitty defense for abuse and a form of victim blaming.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
This guy's story is really scary and sad. A person's mental really needs to taken into account and working that many hours will kill anyone eventually. Especially the part about him being scrubbed from acknowledgments.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it doesn't seem to me that he "turned" to a media outlet. No one really has picked up this story until today, and even then, the biggest outlet talking about it is gamesindustry.biz

I am a little confused about this whole TheQuartering situation in general. My first impression was that he reached out to TheQuartering... but it seems like he was just retweeted by TheQuartering? Still, his comments on TheQuartering's tweet do make it seem like he is into it. It is definitely not ideal to align yourself with that type of personality.

Either way, some people at Blizzard are going to need to speak to this controversy. This is a really bad look. There should be an investigation, and pending on the results of that investigation, terminations.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I am a little confused about this whole TheQuartering situation in general. My first impression was that he reached out to TheQuartering... but it seems like he was just retweeted by TheQuartering? Still, his comments on TheQuartering's tweet do make it seem like he is into it. It is definitely not ideal to align yourself with that type of personality.

Either way, some people at Blizzard are going to need to speak to this controversy. This is a really bad look. There should be an investigation, and pending on the results of that investigation, terminations.
If nobody else is covering it, and you're trying to get your message out there... You're gonna cling to whomever sticks, even if they're shitty.

It sucks, but that's what happens.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The Quartering is not a media outlet.

So, I see where you are coming from (I think, at least). On one hand, I largely agree. However, I think that line is getting very, very blurry. Unless you believe that, wholesale, a youtube channel cannot be the base for a media outlet, then I think it is easy to see that TheQuartering, and other bad actors, are consumed in the same manner as other media outlets on the platform.

I think we are veering dangerously into off-topic territory. I would happily discuss this with you over PMs, but I don't think we should discuss it here...

HK_1

Oct 27, 2017
People who are concerned about "gamergate" and the political ramifications instead of this guy's well being, you are garbage.

Kon

Oct 25, 2017
Can we expect you or someone else at MP1st.com to contact this guy or anyone at Blizzard Esports for comment on an article about this situation, or are you just popping in to delegimitize Youtube as a valid media platform?

I'm really disappointed to see the number of people who are trying to defend or protect the racist bully in this situation. I think it's due to cognitive dissonance over the fact that this racist also used their gender as a way to protect themselves from administrative action and even accuse their victim of being a sexist.

This guy's wife is fairly high up at InXile and numerous current Blizzard employees are sympathetic on his Twitter post. Nobody seems to be doubting him except for a few people here at Resetera who seem to be uncomfortable with the fact that some women at Blizzard grossly misused their authority.

You're worried about the "optics" and how this will look to the GamerGate crowd? Get a fucking clue and realize that concern for the abuser and silence on this guy's issue is the worst possible response you could have.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a clear cut case of the company's management utterly failing this guy, and major bullying going on in the workplace. Toxic work environments - especially in the gaming industry - are a very real thing and I'm glad he put Blizzard on blast. Kind of dismayed to see Che Chou in there, who I remember and like from the old EGM days...but I guess a long time has passed since then.

Personally, I think the idea of making Soldier 76 gay a good one but I can see how Blizzard pushing the good PR vibe that they're an inclusive, diverse and forward-thinking company outraged him considering everything that he personally experienced.

Popetita

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
The post you quoted is not making fun of the grammar, it's calling them out for trying to diminish the suffering of depression this person experienced over his work on Blizzard, "i get made fun of all the time and don't get depressed" is an absolutely shitty thing to say, a shitty defense for abuse and a form of victim blaming.

This is what I responded to:

"JUST GET OVER IT BRAH"

Also " I certainly didnt do a depression over it"

Depression isn't an "ouchie". What the fuck.

Jesus Christ the fucking insensitivity in this fucking forum.
Totally looks like he is calling him out for a grammar error here.

He is both calling him out and using the post making fun of him.

I bolded the relevant text and even the OP bolded part of it. That is just shitty.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand why people are getting surpriswd and in some cases offended because the victim named the abuser. I am happy he did, fuck bullies, in the cse of this guy this woman ruined his life so why does he need to be quiet?

The hypocresy of some people...

How do you know she ruined his life? You have only heard one side of the story. His allegations are not fact. Throwing the alleged abusers name out there for others to judge and harass is in poor form and problematic.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

I bolded the relevant text and even the OP bolded part of it. That is just shitty.

That's not making fun of the grammar, that's stating that Depression is not like "stubbing your toe" or "getting a paper cut" or any minor inconvinience (ie, an "ouchie"), sure "I certainly didnt do a depression over it " is bad grammar, but the reply to the post didn't even acknowledge it, the message Mlappy posted was clear, and that is "i have faced that discrimination and i didn't get depressed" which is what Saci replied to.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
How do you know she ruined his life? You have only heard one side of the story. His allegations are not fact. Throwing the alleged abusers name out there for others to judge and harass is in poor form and problematic.
Victim blaming, doubting the victim and making him appear as some sort of alt right plot is also "poor form and problematic".

What's even more disgusting is how this forum is so fast to throw out outrages about old videos with tasteless jokes, Luis C.K. making a mock of himself, and turning a short novel into a huge celebration of how inclusive Blizzard is. Yet this guy went through hell and no one gives a shit. Barely a couple outlets reported the story.

Last edited:

Kon

Oct 25, 2017
Swap the gender on the pronouns here and you would be banned from this forum. This is not any different at all from what people were saying during the Brett Kavanaugh hearings, and is textbook victim blaming.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Swap the gender on the pronouns here and you would be banned from this forum. This is not any different at all from what people were saying during the Brett Kavanaugh hearings, and is textbook victim blaming.

It's not even close to Kavanaugh, who is a public figure and was up for public office. Also, how am I blaming the victim? I was explaining why people take issue with naming the abuser.

Deleted member 45468

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
My wife experienced a similar situation where two members of her team were openly hostile to her and she would come home crying most days. She went to management and HR and was told to ignore it. She felt really let down by the lack of support. It was infuriating to listen to.

Management these days care more about their salary and bonuses than the health of their employees. It's a shame.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we expect you or someone else at MP1st.com to contact this guy or anyone at Blizzard Esports for comment on an article about this situation

I'll make no promises.

are you just popping in to delegimitize Youtube as a valid media platform?

Funny, I believe my exact words were

Please explain to me how saying a specific YouTube channel isn't a media outlet equates to me deligitimizing YouTube as valid media platform.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is awful. Hopefully more sites pick this up.

My wife experienced a similar situation where two members of her team were openly hostile to her and she would come home crying most days. She went to management and HR and was told to ignore it. She felt really let down by the lack of support. It was infuriating to listen to.

Management these days care more about their salary and bonuses than the health of their employees. It's a shame.

Sadly HR exists to protect the company and not the employee.

Kon

Oct 25, 2017
I'll make no promises.

Please explain to me how saying a specific YouTube channel isn't a media outlet equates to me deligitimizing YouTube as valid media platform.
That seemed to be the implication when your only comment on this story was to criticize the victim's choice of who he reached out to. I'm no fan of TheQuartering but if nothing else, he does have a large audience and coverage from him would inevitably spread it around the internet.

You seem to have nothing of relevance to say on the topic itself and don't seem inclined to look into it as a journalist, so who would you have recommended he go to instead?

Popetita

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
That's not making fun of the grammar, that's stating that Depression is not like "stubbing your toe" or "getting a paper cut" or any minor inconvinience (ie, an "ouchie"), sure "I certainly didnt do a depression over it " is bad grammar, but the reply to the post didn't even acknowledge it, the message Mlappy posted was clear, and that is "i have faced that discrimination and i didn't get depressed" which is what Saci replied to.
Agree to disagree then.

He is saying it is not an ouchie because the person made a mistake, as I do sometimes because I am not a native English speaker. Instead of acknowledging the mistake and correcting it he is on him for making it. That is how I took.

It is bad grammar because he may have used it by mistake not because he is an asshole that is reducing depression to a wound.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Since there's a big, prominent article about Kaplan being so cool and emotional about inclusiveness on Kotaku, I wonder why they didn't report on this. Only good PR makes it for a news?

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What the flying fuck are you talking about?
I didn't even notice there was a grammar errors in their post, especially as I'm also not a native English speaker. I bolded and re-quoted that phrase because it's absurdly shitty for people with depression.

Agree to disagree then.

He is saying it is not an ouchie because the person made a mistake, as I do sometimes because I am not a native English speaker. Instead of acknowledging the mistake and correcting it he is on him for making it. That is how I took.

It is bad grammar because he may have used it by mistake not because he is an asshole that is reducing depression to a wound.
Stop attributing whatever the hell goes on your fucking mind to my posts, the fuck is wrong with you?

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Since there's a big, prominent article about Kaplan being so cool and emotional about inclusiveness on Kotaku, I wonder why they didn't report on this. Only good PR makes it for a news?
I really do wonder the exact reasons why bigger media outlets won't report on this, because this story would most definitively blow up hard...
The only thing I can think are the names, maybe naming the people so directly made it more iffy to report on it? From the story it sounds also like there's a investigation or some kind of legal procedure going on and the media is waiting on an official response?

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Might be sites are trying to fact check it as much as possible. Might be something else.
I hope they're going in deep, or else I can't take seriously more progressive articles from them about unionizing
I really do wonder the exact reasons why bigger media outlets won't report on this, because this story would most definitively blow up hard...
The only thing I can think are the names, maybe naming the people so directly made it more iffy to report on it? From the story it sounds also like there's a investigation or some kind of legal procedure going on and the media is waiting on an official response?
Maybe. But gamesindustry.biz did report on this, as well as dualshockers and videogamer.com...

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but that seemed to be the implication

I think what I said was exactly what I said and only implied exactly what I said; please continue to put words in my mouth though, it's interesting to read the assumptions of people on the internet.

your only comment on this story was to criticize the victim's choice of who he reached out to.

Nope, I criticized the YouTube channel The Quartering for not being media outlet (which it isn't), I never criticized the victim's choice of who he reached out to. Keep going though.

You seem to have nothing of relevance to say on the topic itself and don't seem inclined to look into it as a journalis

Again with assumptions, mate. Maybe relax a bit.

so who would you have recommended he go to instead?

Unsleeved Media

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Might be sites are trying to fact check it as much as possible. Might be something else.

I respect outlets taking time to research a story before reporting on it... but I am going to be a little disappointed if we don't hear anything about this in the next couple of days. Journalists need to help hold these companies accountable for this kind of toxic shit. There needs to be more accountability in games as whole.

Last edited:

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Variety covering the news: https://variety.com/2019/gaming/new...loyee-bullying-and-discrimination-1203103410/

"While the company does not comment on individual personnel issues, we can share that having an inclusive and respectful work environment is extremely important to us. We have a policy against harassment and discrimination and take reports of inappropriate behavior very seriously. There are a number of methods for employees to come forward should they experience or observe any inappropriate behavior. All claims of alleged harassment and discrimination which are brought to our attention are investigated, and we take action where appropriate. We strive to create an inclusive and respectful work environment that reflects Blizzard's core values in everything we do.

"Employee and workplace health is also very important, and we offer different programs and opportunities that support employees, including health and wellness programs and counseling, both in the office (often provided for free) as well as through external professional providers."

Usual feel good rhetoric. Of course completely different from the actual report of the victim, which was eventually even moved under the harasser.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that was horrible. It should really suck to see them being so proud of their inclusiveness with overwatch after going through that.

Kon

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I criticized the YouTube channel The Quartering for not being media outlet (which it isn't), I never criticized the victim's choice of who he reached out to. Keep going though.

Unsleeved Media

Unsleeved Media and TheQuartering are alternate channels of the same person and run the same editorial content. Was that supposed to be a serious recommendation of a better outlet to go to? I wouldn't want to assume you were being disingenuous.

The reason I linked your criticism of TheQuartering to criticism of this guy's decision to go to TheQuartering with his tale was because the topic of this thread is the man's story of his time at Blizzard. The merit of TheQuarterting as a journalist seems pretty wildly off-topic if it wasn't intended with any relation to this man or his story's credibility.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I met Che during BlizzCon for the first time, and would have lunch with him before Thanksgiving break. I explained to him the team dynamic—omitting my situation because I didn't know him—and what I wanted to see. He didn't listen to a single word I said. Che had made up his mind about how the team would be operated and any feedback I had was falling on deaf ears. Afterwards, I would not say much, but nod. And from that point on any professional relationship Che and I could've had went out the window; instead, I would intensify my job search.

Che Chou being a total asshole? Unsurprising.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck. I feel terrible for the guy.

I'm surprised this isn't at 20 pages.

Fuck bullies, regardless of orientation, race, color, gender.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
That's awful.

I will say this: I worked at Blizzard for almost a year, after my contract ended, nearly all of my coworkers started jumping ship as well.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Wow that was horrible. It should really suck to see them being so proud of their inclusiveness with overwatch after going through that.
Knowingly letting this sort of situation fester internally makes their announcement that Solider 76 is gay (and similarly inclusive lore decisions) performative, at best.

Oct 29, 2017
Wow I'm surprised this thread is only 3 pages after reading that :/.
I couldn't even finish reading it because I felt myself getting madder and madder. I hope she gets what's coming to her.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to reading this. Terrible, and while I'm not surprised that it's not gaining that much traction here, that's terrible too.

People who are concerned about "gamergate" and the political ramifications instead of this guy's well being, you are garbage.

This.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
he filed an EEOC complaint, that automatically starts an internal and potentially external investigation, it ain't no joke.

Check these link if you want to know what is entailed in one. https://www.upcounsel.com/eeoc-complaints https://smallbusiness.chron.com/eeoc-complaint-hurt-employer-17776.html

Grug

Oct 26, 2017

I have zero doubt that warnings and bans would have rightfully been issued if the gender roles in this scenario were reversed and posters were pulling some of the same "they need to harden up" or "they're no angel" shit that we are seeing in this thread.

Curious and curiouser.

Some people are so invested in the culture wars that they lose sight of the basic values and principles they initially sought to defend. *insert Nietzsche quote about fighting monsters here*

Last edited: