• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I missed the announcement on this, but what are those? I can see them when I view the main page from my phone, but not from my PC and when you try and go into it it says you don't have enough permissions.

Screenshot_20200219-120337.png

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You have to be a prominent member, sorry.

For real though, I'm pretty sure it's to do with the discussions the mods are having with the black community thread folk and the issues they've been having to deal with.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it's clearly the moderation team attempting to make steps towards communicating directly with minority communities after what happened with TransEra

we really don't need jokes about 'Prominent Members' while minority communities are talking about how their threads and posts are treated on Era

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I briefly saw the black community thread and assumed they are talking to certain parts of Era, and making it transparent to the rest of us.
I saw this too.

Interesting read. It feels sort like a discussion that shouldn't be transparent, in these discussions everyone should be able to read and listen, just not personally communicate if they are not the community in discussion.

Discussions of inequality should be listening to, that's how anyone learns.

OP
OP
Qikz

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
it's clearly the moderation team attempting to make steps towards communicating directly with minority communities after what happened with TransEra

we really don't need jokes about 'Prominent Members' while minority communities are talking about how their threads and posts are treated on Era

I must've missed this entirely - im not super active.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Well, using it to listen and communicate with minority communities sounds pretty good. Hope they continue to do it for more communities as well going forward, the moderation team is great but like all of us, they have blind spots. I experienced it relating to some Jewish issues as well. Communicating directly is the only way to address those blind spots.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017

I understand that sentiment, but I'd hope all black members would have a way in the conversation not just the most well known ones.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Well, using it to listen and communicate with minority communities sounds pretty good. Hope they continue to do it for more communities as well going forward, the moderation team is great but like all of us, they have blind spots. I experienced it relating to some Jewish issues as well. Communicating directly is the only way to address those blind spots.
I imagine there's a lot of productive conversation that can happen between moderation and minority communities on Era, especially if it can help the moderation team in Era

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Ah I saw one of those threads. It was pretty depressing. People complaining to mods about getting harassed on here by some internet nazi types. I didn't even know it was a thing so glad the thread was open to view at least.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I understand that sentiment, but I'd hope all black members would have a way in the conversation not just the most well known ones.
that's something to be enforced by the mod team and the BlackEra community, if you want to be involved in the conversation you'd have to discuss it with them

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just took a look at the black community thread.

It's really, really good that the moderation and admin teams take a listen to these communities through closed yet transparent channels. It helps them locate any blinds spots and outsiders to better understand their issues, everyone wins, great initiative.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

I believe this thread is coming. Please let us know you'd like to be a part!

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
There is also an Moderator Discussion with the Asian members of Era that will happen sometime so honestly if you're a member of a large group of people that feels marginalized in some way on this forum, send the moderators a PM to let them know you'd also appreciate to have your voice heard. They seem welcoming and open to discussion!

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this too.

Interesting read. It feels sort like a discussion that shouldn't be transparent, in these discussions everyone should be able to read and listen, just not personally communicate if they are not the community in discussion.

Discussions of inequality should be listening to, that's how anyone learns.
even when one of the issues is people in the community being systemically target and harassed?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
even when one of the issues is people in the community being systemically target and harassed?

If the thread was locked from other posters outside said community. Wouldn't the only way to target someone would be elsewhere in the forums or piivate messaging? Couldn't that be reported?

Isn't that one of the issues their talking about? About what moderators or we as a community should listen to them to see the telltale signs of a disingenuous member and report them? Call it out. Show a unified front because the discussion lead to members able to identify it because we understand the context.

If the mods want to create a thread breaking down the topics in these discussions in a thread for everyone else to view with a clear plan what they and we can do, that would avoid doxing/revealing those members. I think that's ultimately what any community wants, a effort or show of action.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the thread was locked from other posters outside said community. Wouldn't the only way to target someone would be elsewhere in the forums or piivate messaging? Couldn't that be reported?

Isn't that one of the issues their talking about? About what moderators or we as a community should listen to them to see the telltale signs of a disingenuous member and report them? Call it out. Show a unified front because the discussion lead to members able to identify it because we understand the context.

If the mods want to create a thread breaking down the topics in these discussions in a thread for everyone else to view with a clear plan what they and we can do, that would avoid doxing/revealing those members. I think that's ultimately what any community wants, a effort or show of action.
the 'only' way would be 'every other thread except that one' what?

i'm gonna stop replying now, your posts sound disingenuous.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the 'only' way would be 'every other thread except that one' what?

i'm gonna stop replying now, your posts sound disingenuous.
Extremely poorly written sentence. I kept tweaking my post before I posted it. So it become poorly structured.

What I'm trying to say:
Are those members being targeted because people are aware they are speaking out. Or targeted for just being part of the community in general?

If the said communities are being targeted by harassers in general. What's the point of hiding a discussion that's calling it out and pointing it out?

Unless your saying people are being targeted by revealing they are speaking out. So revealing said threads would endanger said people in someway. Then why can't mods and admins make a thread saying "we had a discussion with the so and so community and here's what we're doing, here's what you as a member should report, here are some examples on what we are moderating".

I lack a ton of context. I do apologize.

Last edited:

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
looks like era is gearing up for a paid subscription service...not surprised with the direction this forum is going, i blame lots of the users with tags.."verified", "prominent member", "incident manager" like what do all these useless tags mean aside from shields against criticism and easier to get away with dumb shit... hopefully the mods clear the air and become more transparent in explaining just who these people are

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

What happened? I really only follow board game ERA and even then, I don't really know names.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I have a thread where I just talk to myself.

Super exclusive. No one is invited 🙅‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

I was able to go in and out of a couple of those threads for a few days, didn't post though.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
looks like era is gearing up for a paid subscription service...not surprised with the direction this forum is going, i blame lots of the users with tags.."verified", "prominent member", "incident manager" like what do all these useless tags mean aside from shields against criticism and easier to get away with dumb shit... hopefully the mods clear the air and become more transparent in explaining just who these people are
That's a weird fearmongering take. Tags were a thing way before ERA and are not done in a serious manner. Verified posters are simply peeps from the video game industry who were verified by the administration.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
It's for marginalized communities to finally have a safe space where outsiders can no longer try to tell others how to feel.

I've read through most of it, it's great to read discussions of issues from people in which the issues affect them the most.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Locking this with a final message:

The invite only thread was our solution to giving the black community here a place to talk to us directly, in an open and visible setting, instead of having a closed door, behind the scenes meeting. This way, everyone can see it, but only the people involved in the BCC thread or anyone who wanted to bring something to our attention regarding the community could post. We wanted to avoid trolls / drive by postings in order to have a productive and safe discussion.

It's not something that we plan on implementing forum-wide. We will have a summary thread up soon with what we plan to do going forward, and we hope to have more meetings like this in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.