• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
SaGa_Frontier-title.png

SaGa Frontier was a Squaresoft game released during their golden days, on the PS1. It was an unpolished, somewhat rushed, sort of haphazard game, but it was also incredibly unique, with a battle system and atmosphere that stood out among its peers.

Why would fans of Octopath enjoy this game?

It has a "Free Scenario System," where you choose between one of seven different protagonists. Each protagonist has their own story, and while many events and areas intersect between them, several are entirely unique to each character. While you cannot influence the other character's stories, you can recruit several of the other protagonists in most routes.

Here is a synopsis from wikipedia, with the spoilers edited out.

Asellus (アセルス Aserusu), formerly a human girl, was run over by a carriage and given a blood transfusion by the Mystic Lord Orlouge. Chosen as the Charm Lord's heir, she is despised by human and mystic alike due to her status as the only half-Mystic in existence. She escapes Orlouge's castle with the help of the Princess White Rose.

Blue (ブルー Burū) is a young mage fresh out of magic school. His quest is to collect the "Gift" for as many magics as possible. After that he is destined to fight his twin Rouge who has gained the opposite magics.

Emelia (エミリア Emiria) is a blond ex-con and secret agent formerly working as a model. Her story began when her fiancé Ren was murdered by a mysterious villain known as the "Joker". Wrongfully accused of the crime, she was sentenced to imprisonment in Despair, where she met Annie and Liza. With their help, they complete a competition the warden created to receive a full pardon for their crimes. After their escape, Emelia was recruited by the two to join the secret organization Gradius, which was also hunting for the "Joker".

Lute (リュート Ryūto) is a carefree bard whose mother kicked him out of the house until Lute found a decent job. He stumbles face-first into a plot involving Trinity general Mondo and resistance leader Captain Hamilton, and the legacy of Lute's deceased father.

Red (レッド Reddo) is a teenage boy whose family is destroyed by the criminal syndicate called Black X. After being rescued from the same fate by the masked superhero named Alkarl, he is granted the identity of the superhero Alkaiser.

Riki (リキ Riki) is a Lummox, a fox-like creature, and one of the last remaining inhabitants of the mysterious world, Margmel. Determined to save his homeworld, he seeks the Rings of Margmel. In his search, he starts out in Scrap, where he finds the researcher Mei-ling. Riki's quest takes him around the regions to gather the Rings until he comes face to face with Virgil, a Mystic Lord.

T260G is an ancient Mec, a model constructed from junk parts, who has awakened in modern times. It lost its memory when it crashed into Junk. With the help of Leonard, a human who transferred his memories into a Mec, and Gen, a master swordsman, it seeks to recover its memory.

Each character's story has a very different vibe to it, and it's worth playing at least six of them. Lute is the exception, as his story, if you can call it that, is incredibly barebones and has very little original content.

The battle system is unique in that you learn techniques on the fly by using certain weapons in battle. If you've played other SaGa games, you might be somewhat familiar with the feel of the battles in this game. Another highlight is that, like its contemporary Chrono Cross, there is a large pool of characters to recruit. Unlike Chrono Cross, this doesn't feel like it goes against the atmosphere or narrative of the game, as characters that are background material in one story may become important in another.

The bottom line is this; if you're excited for an old school RPG with multiple narratives, I.E. Octopath, you should definitely give this game a shot. It's on PSN for very cheap.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've tried to enjoy this game. I've tried and tried but it makes itself so difficult to like that I've given up. It's impossible to tell where you're supposed to go.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I've tried to play this game. I've tried and tried but it makes itself so difficult to like that I've given up. It's impossible to tell where you're supposed to go.

This so much.

It's a game I've tried many times, even with guides and I just get instantly lost. One of the most compelling arguments to play a game that pulls you in right away just to make you say "well what the heck do I do now" right after. Not to mention the random battle system. It got a popular resurgence in Japan a few years ago and a lot of people streamed it suddenly. Still though, way too obscure, but I always think about trying again every year.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I've tried to enjoy this game. I've tried and tried but it makes itself so difficult to like that I've given up. It's impossible to tell where you're supposed to go.
This so much.

It's a game I've tried many times, even with guides and I just get instantly lost. One of the most compelling arguments to play a game that pulls you in right away just to make you say "well what the heck do I do now" right after. Not to mention the random battle system. It got a popular resurgence in Japan a few years ago and a lot of people streamed it suddenly. Still though, way too obscure, but I always think about trying again every year.
I recommend starting with Red's scenario. It holds your hand the most and gets you familiar with quite a few areas.

I do think it is a bit obtuse. A guide is helpful, especially for optional areas or learning techniques.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very pretty game, but Jesus Christ is it both confusing and boring.
I'm curious how someone not raised on 90s jrpgs would like this.
As a broke teenager I think it was my first "fuck this game, I'll just go play something else" game that I actually bought with my own money.
It was also the first and maybe only SNES/PS1 Squaresoft game I didn't like.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you lord, there is one of us speaking out loud about SaGa Frontier being so good.

Now let us wait for the Octopath reviews saying that it's the only time JRPGs have done multiple characters scenarios well.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh good I'm not the only one who felt SaGa Frontier vibes from Octopath's demo. Conveniently, SaGa Frontier is one of my favorite games of all time. Strong recommendation from me

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
happy to see this thread, every time I heard Square-Enix talk about this game it always reminded me of Saga Frontier 1

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Seemed like a great concept at the time, but the game was severely undercooked. It felt like they shipped a demo. I can't recommend more than looking at a youtube video.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
SaGa Frontier is one of my favorite games of all time. It is also a dangerous case of "be careful what you wish for". A lot of people complain about games hand holding too much. SaGa Frontier doesn't tell you a DAMNED thing. You go where you please, explore wherever you can. You may find yourself in an area and get creamed in seconds, or find a party member you weren't expecting. It really is a crazy sandbox game in terms of non linear progression. It is a crazy rewarding game, but definitely is not for everyone.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Let me also rate the accessibility of each character's stories:

A Tier (Solid story, unique mechanics, unique areas):

Red
Asellus
T260G

B Tier (Some areas overlap with others, dead zones without story, still solid overall):

Emelia
Blue

C Tier (Generally comparable to B Tier with a lackluster lead cast):

Riki

F Tier (There's almost nothing here):

Lute

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn, that game was lightyears above the rest. Not even kidding, I still think about Asellus, I remember speaking about people trying to deny she was a lesbian because it was so unheard of. She is 120% a lesbian, there wasn't even any ambiguous subtext about it.

Fucking Blue chapter is one of the most incredible chapter I've played in any JRPG. Who lets you play such an antagonistic character like this ? Then the battle against his brother, then the final dungeon, then the ENDING.

Red is a fucking Kamen Rider episode.

Everything was good. So many chapters told things you wouldn't see in JRPGs, and you aren't even seeing them now. It's THE jrpg of the PS1. It might not be the best, it's janky, it's confusing, but it's a ride I could never forget even if I wanted.

It's also the highlight of Kenji Ito's career. Pick a battle theme, a random one, and it flatlines the battle theme of your favourite JRPG. Let's not even get into the SEVEN final boss themes of the game, not a single miss, it's an achievement.

You should listen to this arrange track of Asellus' final boss theme. It floors me to this day.

Play SaGa Frontier please

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I wish it was available on switch or even 3ds as I prefer to play rpgs on a portable console.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, that game was lightyears above the rest. Not even kidding, I still think about Asellus, I remember speaking about people trying to deny she was a lesbian because it was so unheard of. She is 120% a lesbian, there wasn't even any ambiguous subtext about it.

Fucking Blue chapter is one of the most incredible chapter I've played in any JRPG. Who lets you play such an antagonistic character like this ? Then the battle against his brother, then the final dungeon, then the ENDING.

Red is a fucking Kamen Rider episode.

Everything was good. So many chapters told things you wouldn't see in JRPGs, and you aren't even seeing them now. It's THE jrpg of the PS1. It might not be the best, it's janky, it's confusing, but it's a ride I could never forget even if I wanted.

It's also the highlight of Kenji Ito's career. Pick a battle theme, a random one, and it flatlines the battle theme of your favourite JRPG. Let's not even get into the SEVEN final boss themes of the game, not a single miss, it's an achievement.

You should listen to this arrange track of Asellus' final boss theme. It floors me to this day.

Play SaGa Frontier please

Kenji Ito Stands with Uematsu, Shimomura, Iwadare, Sugiyama, Soken as one of the great JRPG video game composers. Crazy underrated composer.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
SaGa Frontier!! I imagine most people here know about the franchise?

I'm not too familiar with Octopath but if it's similar, Day 1.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
It's one of my huge favorites of that era. It has problems for sure, sometimes it took forever to figure out where I was supposed to go, but I don't remember that overshadowing all the fun I had. Asellus, The robot and especially Red were some of the bigger highlights but I managed to have fun with everyone. Still have yet to complete the game with every character despite playing the game on and off for years lol.
That music is also super underrated imo, cemented Kenji Ito as one of my all time favorite composers.
If you want something cute, challenging, retro and weird and don't mind the odd obtuseness then please give it a try.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Kenji Ito Stands with Uematsu, Shimomura, Iwadare, Sugiyama, Soken as one of the great JRPG video game composers. Crazy underrated composer.

Kenji Ito's battle themes are so unique. They really give specific emotions that fits what you're fighting. They're never "just" rousing, they always bring something new to the table. His work on SaGa is really one of the greatest lifework of a composer in the video game music industry.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
The Alliance Alive or the Romancing SaGa 2 remake from earlier this year are probably more palatable to people who might be interested in these concepts but used to modern game design, fwiw.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if there were a remake where the game was actually finished. The unfinished state of most of the scenarios is such a bummer.
The talk about what Asellus's scenario was supposed to be sounded so much better than what we got.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SaGa series bomb but...didnt like this one.

Would highly recommend three over it. The storylines in this one are too loose in a way it loses the advantages of the JRPG format, if that makes any sense?

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE SaGa Frontier, it's definitely not for everyone though.

I still haven't checked out Octopath, half because I've been busy and half just because I'm afraid I'll love it and want to day one it which isn't convenient right now.

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
I also got similar SaGa Frontier vibes from Octopath. I'm sure this game however will be much better than SaGa Frontier. I just went back to replay it a few months ago, and for the life of me I could not figure out how I got through this when it first came out. I know it was always a challenge, but aside from the music the game has aged like milk.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Reading the thread title made me unexcited for Octopath.
I hated Saga Frontier. Like other's above I think it was the first Square RPG I bought as a teenager that broke me from just buying anything they made. I really tried for dozens of hours and cameb ack to it but just hated how open ended and lackluster the story and direction was.

But, I just finished playing the Octopath demo and man, I love that thing. And I haven't loved a Square soft game in probably a decade to be totally honest. It makes a really good first impression.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Love this game so much, so many fond memories. I remember grinding for DSC, haze to wheel etc. Really liked the skill system. Every scenario was great...well except for Lute's. That one was crazy short. I definitely recommend it.

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
But, I just finished playing the Octopath demo and man, I love that thing. And I haven't loved a Square soft game in probably a decade to be totally honest. It makes a really good first impression.
On a slightly related note, I love when people refer to Square-Enix as Squaresoft. I see that and say to myself, "that's my people right there!"

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
How was Unlimited SaGa in comparison? I remember getting ridiculously lost in that, and it was hard, didn't know where to grind, so I gave up. Still contemplate going back because the music was good. And that intro fmv was so good.

Deleted member 9650

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying the demo but I wish there weren't... long... pauses... between every line...

It would be one thing if the sprites were big on screen, at least I could see expressions on their faces.

I think Romancing Saga 2 is a better choice, and it's on the Switch e-shop. It's not a multi-protagonist RPG but it has a lot of branching. It's also esoteric and obtuse and should be played with a FAQ.

I fell of Saga Frontier hard but I love the art. It's one of those games that I always try to come back to, with limited success.

How was Unlimited SaGa in comparison? I remember getting ridiculously lost in that, and it was hard, didn't know where to grind, so I gave up. Still contemplate going back because the music was good. And that intro fmv was so good.

Unlimited Saga I bought for 50 dollars on PS2 and hated it... it's another incredibly obtuse game that requires a FAQ to enjoy :) But it has a lot of really cool elements. It's just super abstract and meandering... like all Saga games.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
SaGa Frontier is probably my favorite RPG of the PS1/Saturn era... Barely edging out Panzer Dragoon Saga, I think. I've certainly sunk more time into it.

Even if it's notorious for being unfinished, those very familiar with the game will recognize the dead ends everywhere; all sorts of loose threads that always seemed like they should be leading somewhere, but abruptly came to an end. Back in the day, before I could really fathom the idea of a game releasing without being finished, this added a lot of mystique to its appeal, and compelled me to dig and dig and see if I could find something, somewhere, to access secret bits. The game has I believe the largest entry on The Cutting Room Floor, and I could be mistaken, but I think the official strategy guide even has maps of areas that aren't used in any character's scenario.

Not to mention, it was certainly an oddity at the time, when it released. Unlike most RPGs that were getting released, it was anything but straight-forward. I absolutely adore the progression methods in it, and the way that the game is just systems all the way down. It's really interesting how sparking and ability acquisition in general actually work, too. I want for more RPGs like this - and I'm currently quite happy with playing through The Alliance Alive, even if it is structured more like an average JRPG (though I'd simply argue that this makes it much more accessible - because accessibility is something SaGa Frontier doesn't really have going for it).

Alboreo

Jan 31, 2018
I love SaGa Frontier, it's good to see someone speaking its praises. I'd also recommend Romancing SaGa 3, Octopath seems very similar. RS3 is ridiculously open-ended, so I would recommend a guide for a first-time player. It's hard to explain, but it feels like an open world JRPG on the SNES and it holds up very well. Unique tone, gameplay, and numerous (optional) party members. I don't know anything else that's quite like it, but Octopath does feel close.

Edit: By open world, I mean that you can go pretty much anywhere, complete quests pretty freely, and essentially ignore your main character's storyline for quite a while as you explore and meet new characters. It's pretty unique, even among the SaGa series.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
I loved this game as a teenager. Both the Red and Blue storylines were super memorable, and it was one of the few RPGs where I genuinely had no idea where they were going to take the plotlines. Even at that age I felt like I always had some idea of what was going to happen, but you couldn't predict what was going to happen next to save your life in SaGa Frontier. Plus I happened to really enjoy the battle system and the soundtrack. Really left a bootprint on my mind compared to most RPGs that came out in that era.

Alboreo

Jan 31, 2018

I'd consider myself a pretty huge SaGa fan, but I hated Unlimited SaGa. Maybe if I had cared more (or had internet access at the time) I'd have figured out what the hell i was doing, but as it stands the game makes little sense to me gameplay-wise. It's ridiculously opaque in its mechanics and feels like it wants you to have a bad time. Easily my least favorite in the series. That said, I like what it tried to do in bringing less subtle tabletop elements to the genre.

While we're on the topic of other SaGa games, has anyone played Scarlet Graces? I think it looks fun but I've heard mixed things.

Deleted member 9650

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While we're on the topic of other SaGa games, has anyone played Scarlet Graces? I think it looks fun but I've heard mixed things.

I have Scarlet Graces on Vita and I played the girl's scenario for a while. It's fun but really long winded. I got many hours into her quest and progressed quite a bit, but then got exhausted and stopped.

The combat can be really punishing and you have to master the system. Unfortunately there were times when I had to retry battles over and over again, which contributed to the hours spent.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, this is on PSN now?
I still have a copy, but I recently dug out Romancing Saga(PS2) and it is pretty blurry to play, so I imagine that a PS1 game would be worse.

I did like that the characters in Saga Frontier were more different from each other than Romancing Saga, though.
So, is Romancing Saga 2(PC) the newest thing out, I didn't really like the Alliance Alive demo that much.

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
I use to play this game all the time when it came out. I don't think I ever beat more then 3 characters. The game was a hard sell back then and even more now. Its worth a try but most won't like it.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most disappointing games I bought as a teenager. I like it a little more now that I'm older but man. It's obtuse as hell.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing of SaGa Frontier is the battle themes... all of them are God Tier... ALL OF THEM.

Amazing game. Unpolished yes, but that's also part of the charm. Asellus story is the best of the 8.