• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
It'sbeen84years.gif

I'll believe it when it actually happens. At this rate, I highly doubt the winds of winter will ever come out.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I mean, yeah, compared to the books. The show has reduced itself to a mere shadow of its source material favoring action schlock and dumb "shock" moments as opposed to actual good writing and character development. I'll still watch to completion, but I can't exactly characterize the show as great anymore.

What books? There are no books for what is being covered in the show at this stage.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Nah it'll be spectacular ending.
I have a strong feeling D&D will deliver an ending so mediocre that show fans will look back and see that the show really fell off post season 4.

I'm 100% convinced Jon and Danaerys end up married by show end.

Judging from the leaks that I know, it definitely won't be a mediocre end but it'll be so damn controversial that many will hate the show or love the show for flipping things on its head at the very end.

That includes who gets killed and the person that ends up king/queen at the end.

It's gonna be a weird ending not a predictable one.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Judging from the leaks that I know, it definitely won't be a mediocre end but it'll be so damn controversial that many will hate the show or love the show for flipping things on its head at the very end.

That includes who gets killed and the person that ends up king/queen at the end.

At least they break the mould of everything being so predictable. I hope It isn't just shocks for shockfactor sake but I have little faith in D&D.

Nah it'll be spectacular ending.
In terms of spectacle, I have no doubt it will be.

But I really hope the writing improves. But given how the last few seasons went and the lower episode count, I doubt it will.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
At least they break the mould of everything being so predictable. I hope It isn't just shocks for shockfactor sake but I have little faith in D&D.

In terms of spectacle, I have no doubt it will be.

But I really hope the writing improves. But given how the last few seasons went and the lower episode count, I doubt it will.

Stuff will be coming out of left field but will not be as shocking if you had read the books.

There is set up for things that D & D removed.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Tyrion as King with Bronn as queen, confirmed

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
While the show has definitely turned out quite cartoonish, it's still entertaining as hell and a visual spectacle like nothing else on TV. Meanwhile, the latter two books very quite disappointing, IMO, so I'm now more invested in how the show ends than the books.

OP
OP
Gigglepoo

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if action schlock and dumb shock moments is what the show actually needed? I've put forth this hypothesis before, but I think that people who constantly compare the books and the show are looking for something which would never have existed in any reality.

Being totally faithful to the books would make the show way too long and slow paced. Editing anything out of the narrative while trying to be faithful will make people more disappointed with the content that is removed. In fact, for my personally when the show was being more faithful, it was far worse. I wasn't really feeling most of season 1 and 2 other than "well it's not bad and at least they are trying, but it'll never be as good as the books anyway". Which is a shitty place for a show to be.

That all changed starting from season 3 and especially in season 4. When the show started to give less and less of a damn about being faithful and more about being entertaining, it really found what it was truly good at being. The crazy Wall Scythe was the defining moment of the show for me where it went from pretending to care about being a faithful adaptation and just using the material as a foundation for a badass blockbuster fantasy TV action romp. And I think it benefited greatly for that change.

The books are still great because GRRM is very good at writing that sort of stuff. The show is great because D&D are great at encouraging schlocky pulp fantasy action setpieces and finding directors who are really good at it. Different strokes.

I mostly agree with your thesis and know Game of Thrones wouldn't be nearly as popular if it spent hours ruminating about the horrors of war, the qualities the make a good leader, and regret for a life filled with bad choices.

But if you're going to focus on action, at least make the action makes sense. D&D undercut the incredible Loot Train episode with a fake-out death that defies any previous show logic. Or the laughable wight hunt that was doomed from the start.

When they skimp on the connective tissue, the action sequences their building toward are seriously neutered.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
But if you're going to focus on action, at least make the action makes sense. D&D undercut the incredible Loot Train episode with a fake-out death that defies any previous show logic. Or the laughable wight hunt that was doomed from the start.
Yeah Season 7 was.... not great. Haha. Hopefully Miguel Sapochnik brings it home in the final season!

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

links? (freefolk?) pm me I guess

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
What's he gonna be able to do when the scripts turn out to be of similar quality?
The same thing he did in the previous seasons he worked on. Don't underestimate how much of bad plotting on paper can be covered up with good direction on screen. The biggest reason why the wright hunt in Season 7 got so much shit isn't actually because it was a dumb idea and Jon was written as an idiot. It was because for a big setpiece episode with tons of hype, the director failed to sell it as a truly dangerous, suspenseful, and exciting excursion. If it had been handled like Hardhome, even with the same dialogue and sequence of events, it would have gone over much better. The evidence is that even when people critique the fake out death nonsense in the loot train episode, the actual episode is remembered as one of the highlights of the season and a kickass battle. And that's because it was well directed.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The same thing he did in the previous seasons he worked on. Don't underestimate how much of bad plotting on paper can be covered up with good direction on screen. The biggest reason why the wright hunt in Season 7 got so much shit isn't actually because it was a dumb idea and Jon was written as an idiot. It was because for a big setpiece episode with tons of hype, the director failed to sell it as a truly dangerous, suspenseful, and exciting excursion. If it had been handled like Hardhome, even with the same dialogue and sequence of events, it would have gone over much better. The evidence is that even when people critique the fake out death nonsense in the loot train episode, the actual episode is remembered as one of the highlights of the season and a kickass battle. And that's because it was well directed.
...but that was the reason? The quality of the direction is the least of S7's problems. Sapochnik isn't going to salvage whatever mess D&D end up writing.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
...but that was the reason? The quality of the direction is the least of S7's problems. Sapochnik isn't going to salvage whatever mess D&D end up writing.

Not in the long run but he can make it very fun in the moment.

Battle of Bastards is the prime example of what Duck is talking about.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Not in the long run but he can make it very fun in the moment.

Battle of Bastards is the prime example of what Duck is talking about.

Battle of the Bastards was a big salvage by Sapochnik, but that it needed such herculean salvaging speaks equally to D&D's ineptitude even at the managerial level.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
My hypothesis is not that there can't be some successful adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire, but that Game of Thrones, being what it is, got better when it stopped pretending to be something it was not. The showrunners are not strong on making the political intrigue and deeper character drama work. But they are the only showrunners who pitched this and got the gig. There isn't a list of contenders with them winning a bid in the end. So the only way this show could have happened as it is, is through them. Which makes debating what ifs less interesting. Being that they are the ones running the show and with the skill set they have, I feel the change in direction they made from season 3 on was for the better and not for the worse, because if they continued to try to do a more grounded character driven political drama, I feel it would have ended up being much less interesting for everyone. It would literally be a totally inferior and less engaging version of what is already done better in the books, instead of something radically different. With what we have now, we avoid that sad fate and instead have two very different things for different tastes/moods, set in the same base world.
Apparently George agreed to them becuaee they knew Jon's parents

If only i was much older " was like 10 when this show started production"and had experience in tv i could have done the same

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I don't think it was the least of the problems at all. Look at S6 for example. There was that laughable episode with Arya and the footrace fight. Lots of people hated it - because of the poor direction failing to distract the audience from how ill conceived the entire underlying plot mechanics of it was. But what happened after that? We got the one-two punch of Battle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter. Possibly the peak of GoT in terms of direction ever. Season 6 is remembered as a highlight of the series for those still following it because of that. With Season 7 it peaked at Loot Train and never recovered from the downward spiral after that. The poor direction in the climatic episodes meant fans were left with a disappointing feeling rather than an uplifting hyped feeling. That's the difference. I think most people tend to be more emotional than logical when it comes to stuff like entertainment. Yes good writing is important, especially if you want to be able to break it down and analyze it and appreciate the construction of it later. But for general entertainment, good direction is the most important thing for making people feel the things they need to feel without thinking too much about the smaller details.