• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Remember the Donkey Kong Country soundtrack? I do, and I always wanted to know more about composer Eveline Fischer.

Today I'm glad to share an interview (original is in English) I've been preparing for months. Here's a preview:

Thank you Eveline for this unique interview opportunity. Today, I'd like to go back in time and revisit your career as a video game composer. Before that point though, could you please tell us how your love for music started?

Music has been part of me for as long as I can remember. Memories of my dad sitting for hours at the piano, listening to some of the jazz greats – Oscar Peterson, Count Basie, Fats Waller – breaking down the notes, repeating the parts until he'd unpicked the pieces for himself, he had an amazing ear!

My love of classical music began later. Learning the piano, violin and (slightly randomly) the church organ gave me the opportunity to discover different types of music. My time with a youth orchestra, church choir and symphony chorus consolidated this. Encouraged by my mum, I was able to get the most out of these experiences, with concerts in some of the great venues in London and trips playing abroad all serving to fire up my enthusiasm. Singing Carl Orff's Carmina Burana for a concert with a stinking cold is a memory that has stuck with me .. I still feel goosebumps when I hear that piece performed now.

This was followed up with five fantastic years at uni; first studying music at Durham, then a Masters in medieval music at Newcastle and, the eventual stepping stone to my position at Rare, a PG Dip in Electroacoustic Composition at Bournemouth. During this time I was able to broaden my musical tastes, immersing myself in as varied a musical background as possible – inevitably I developed not only a deep love of music but also a pretty eclectic taste. Jazz and blues greats rubbed shoulders with some of the classical giants, throw in an unexpected affinity for medieval music and a chance encounter with fantastic percussion group, Amadinda, and you have me in a nutshell. Rachmaninov, Poulenc, Fauré, Liszt, J.S.Bach, Widor, Carl Orff, César Franck, Marie Claire Alain, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Duke Ellington, Oscar Peterson, John Williams and Hans Zimmer, just some of the artists and composers who have shaped what music is to me today.

We often talk about David Wise, Robin Beanland and other well-known artists. This is an exclusive take on a lesser known career that is eye opening.

Thanks for your support, and don't hesitate to comment.

Oct 26, 2017
So is she more or less retired and being with her son? I hope she maybe works with Playtonic on some music someday. Thanks for the interview! :)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Wow, you actually managed to track her down!

Always found it sad how undervalued and underappreciated her contributions to the DKC trilogy were. Her work on DKC 1 and 3 is absolutely fantastic (with the exception of DKC3's 1-1 stage theme which I just cannot stand^^)

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, that was a nice read. It would be great if she could share some of her unused work. Kirkhope shared some good stuff on his website.

But I think you should have mentioned who she was in the title to attract more people (the fact that she composed for classic Rare games), because sadly she's not as well known as the other Rare composers.

OP
OP
Phantom

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Thanks, that was a nice read. It would be great if she could share some of her unused work. Kirkhope shared some good stuff on his website.

But I think you should have mentioned who she was in the title to attract more people (the fact that she composed for classic Rare games), because sadly she's not as well known as the other Rare composers.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll get to that.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Oh wow, an interview with Eveline Fischer is very rare indeed! (No pun intended) BTW, isn't she Eveline Novakovic nowadays?

I'll be sure to read the interview when I have more time later tonight!