• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'd like everything on every platform, in an ideal world. But I know it's not going to happen given the current state of things.
In a world where work is used for the well being of society, maybe, but in a capitalist system where profit is the end of all things, it'll never happen and gamers love capitalism so it's pretty contradictory if you ask me.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Of course Disney plus costs money. Content costs money. You have to pay something to access it. You seem to think it makes a difference if it's subscription or piecemeal but it doesnt, you're just paying for content. What I and other are saying is we'd prefer not to have to buy special hardware just to access that content. Netflix and Disney plus don't do this. You pay to access their content but you don't have to pay for a dedicated device that accesses that content. For a game console you have to spend hundreds of dollars and THEN you have to pay for access to the content on top of that. Buying one thing to access content is fine, having to buy multiple dedicated devices for it is where I and others have an issue.
But that's how games work. You need specific hardware to render it. And you don't have to buy multiple devices, you want to, it's different. Don't port beg.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Exclusives are bad unless the games only exist because of exclusivity, in which case they're good. That's my hot take.

ColdLavaBunny

Oct 29, 2017
Got to say - I like exclusives. Not that I want to see non platform holders locked out of games. It's just that virtually all my favourite games are exclusives.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
But that's how games work. You need specific hardware to render it. And you don't have to buy multiple devices, you want to, it's different. Don't port beg.
Lol. I was merely told (by Multiple people) that services like Disney plus and Netflix were the same as having to buy consoles and I explained how that's not the same at all.

But to your point, yes that's how it is Now, but that doesn't mean that's how it always has to be. The option to make games available to everyone, and say not just the people who can afford to buy all the systems, is worth thinking about.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I cant wrap my head around of someone enjoying a game just because it is an exclusive

I can wrap my head around the idea of some one enjoying a game cause it was actually made because the company had motivation to put it out (I.e. selling their machine). Can't enjoy a game that never gets made. Companies have to have reasons into putting the money into making the game too. Otherwise what is in it for them?

Oct 27, 2017
I can wrap my head around the idea of some one enjoying a game cause it was actually made because the company had motivation to put it out (I.e. selling their machine). Can't enjoy a game that never gets made. Companies have to have reasons into putting the money into making the game too. Otherwise what is in it for them?
They can still make the game and make money... if they want ALL the money, well, fuck that

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
They can still make the game and make money... if they want ALL the money, well, fuck that

They aren't getting all the money. But Sony and Nintendo are hardware sellers and they need to sell their hardware. There isn't much reason for them to make the games unless those games are going to sell the hardware. And there is definitely not reason for them to put money into games that don't make as much money by themselves but people love if it doesn't sell the hardware. Unless you want every big Budget game to be microtransaction laden multiplayer cause that is where the money is for companies that are just trying to make money off the games. Because literally every big budget publisher of third party games are going that direction. Even ones that were focused on single player games before (Bethesda and Even CDPR is getting in on multiplayer with cyberpunk and I wonder if there won't be some MTs in that). All the third party games play it safe because to put that much budget in they need a low risk chance of return.

And you're kidding yourself if you think any company does any of this out of the good of their hearts. They are trying to make money. Even CDPR's good guy image is a sales tactic that they can afford because it sets them apart. If it didn't they would probably less likely to put much emphasis on it.

And yes, companies do want all the money. In fact I find it hilarious ms is being championed here when MS has over and over tried true anti consumer crap and only backed down when it bit them on the ass. Add on the only reason they have no issues with putting it on PC is one of their big money makers (the biggest foe the longest time if not still the biggest) is windows! Of course they don't have a problem putting their games on their product!

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I can certainly see where you're coming from. Seen Matthewmatosis say something similar too- to him a PlayStation is just a thing he needs to buy every gen to play 2/3 specific games like Bloodborne and Persona 5. And then just sit there doing nothing.

Can't say I agree but with Play Anywhere it's worth discussing I think.
The guy bought the hardware because of 2 exclusive games

If that's not a strong enough argument to understand why exclusives exists, I don't know what is

Sony makes machines. And they know that by selling the hardware, even if the customer just want to play one game, they may probably buy something down the line on the PS Store.
It would be much more proffitable than just selling the game on another platform.

I understand that it would be much better to be able to play everything on one platform, just like it would be awesome to watch every movie on Netflix

But that's capitalism for you

Last edited:

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Lol. I was merely told (by Multiple people) that services like Disney plus and Netflix were the same as having to buy consoles and I explained how that's not the same at all.

But to your point, yes that's how it is Now, but that doesn't mean that's how it always has to be. The option to make games available to everyone, and say not just the people who can afford to buy all the systems, is worth thinking about.
It'll always be like this.l, unless capitalism ends.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I see the capitalist/megacorp defense force is out on full display today.

Argumentum ad hominem. Someone always makes this post in a thread like this.

You can understand - and even support - a business model and the benefits (and downsides) it brings without "defending" corporations.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Exclusives are bad unless the games only exist because of exclusivity, in which case they're good. That's my hot take.
That's not a hot take at all. Most exclusives only exist because the platform owner funded them from out of their pocket. The worst kind are when someone pays the publisher to keep them off other platforms.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
That's not a hot take at all. Most exclusives only exist because the platform owner funded them from out of their pocket. The worst kind are when someone pays the publisher to keep them off other platforms.
I wasn't being particularly serious with the hot take statement. It's clearly the most lukewarm take imaginable.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
image.png