• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Flimsy reason for giving Nintendo a pass, but yeah, in a perfect world I would be able to play XGS games on Playstation, watch The Expanse on Netflix, use the App Store on Android, and find all my Whole Foods go-to's at Wal-Mart. Unfortunately that's not how business works under Capitalism.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be great if you read that sentence back to yourself and see where your logical falters.

Phrasing was a bit wonk, agreed, but people making PC games aren't contractually bound to PC only. It's just technical or financial limitations in most cases. That's just how it is. But if I'm overlooking some major logical error, oh please do set me straight.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I agree but we all know they exist. Its the same reason you can't watch The Mandalorian on netflix. Its a way to get you to use their platform and buy stuff from them and be in their eco system. It sucks but it is what it is.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Sure! I'll get right on that. Though I can't think of many PC games that were exclusive on PC outside of resource restrictions these days. A lot of PC games have console equivalents.

A lot of PS4 games also have PC equivalents, you could just play those? That way you wouldn't have to worry about console performance or purchase price either for something that you're just going to use for gaming.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
...Sony wants to sell consoles. The best way to get people to buy the console is to have it exclusive. It makes no business sense to do otherwise for them. Unlike Microsoft. Which nobody should have to explain what PC means to them.

And how can you complain about Sony but accept Nintendo doing the same thing?

OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
A lot of PS4 games also have PC equivalents, you could just play those? That way you wouldn't have to worry about console performance or purchase price either for something that you're just going to use for gaming.
Because I want to play Bloodborne at above 20fps and without frame stuttering god dammit!

I'm still laughing here, hahahaa
Hey man, I rescinded that because I realized my excuse was flimsy at best.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Phrasing was a bit wonk, agreed, but people making PC games aren't contractually bound to PC only. It's just technical or financial limitations in most cases. That's just how it is.
Okay, and what makes their situation different from Sony's, where it's far more economically advantageous for them to develop games for their own platform?

It's a completely arbitrary distinction based only on "I wanna play that game, but I don't wanna pay the price for it".

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
lol at anti consumer

if beeing anti consumer means im getting shows like The Witcher, Stranger Things, Elite, the Mandalorian or LOTR then yeah im gladly a anticonsumer - sorry guys

Oct 25, 2017
Phrasing was a bit wonk, agreed, but people making PC games aren't contractually bound to PC only. It's just technical or financial limitations in most cases. That's just how it is. But if I'm overlooking some major logical error, oh please do set me straight.
Man I'm still waiting for FTL to be on anything besides PC and iOS.

Dec 23, 2017
I think every third party game should be made with the three companies and pc in mind. Especially those that have been around for decades.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh so we're at this point on resetera about not wanting exclusives. The way anti consumer is being thrown here. Mods need to do better here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, and what makes their situation different from Sony's, where it's far more economically advantageous for them to develop games for their own platform?

It's a completely arbitrary distinction based only on "I wanna play that game, but I don't wanna pay the price for it".

If only releasing games on one platform is so economically advantageous, I don't see why Microsoft or even Sony themselves have let so many exclusives slip.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The title is correct at least, since even if you want to play an exclusive game on a different console, it will have to be played differently (different controls/inputs, stereoscopic 3D, VR/AR etc.)

Technically, PCs should be able to play everything, but if certain inputs aren't standard they might not take off as quickly.

So the only clear reasons for me are: pushing a new input standard or visual effect via an new expression in a game, or to sell hardware which can popularize the input standard or visual effect.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point in platforms existing at all if they don't offer exclusive experiences?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
All games should be everywhere. Stanning for megacorps who only want your money rather than wanting the art to be as widely available as possible is inhuman.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
exclusives are the reason why a game like god of war 2018 exists, so yea i rather exclusives keep on existing than have games i am interested in be released broken, missing parts as DLC, filled with micro transactions etc.

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
If only releasing games on one platform is so economically advantageous, I don't see why Microsoft or even Sony themselves have let so many exclusives slip.
... What?

Let's get one thing straight here: If we can be sure of one thing, it's that any corporation will do what is most profitable for them. If it's keeping some exclusives and letting others go, then they'll do that. The argument you're trying to make is a pretty dead end.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You can replace OP's post with

giphy.gif

and it would have the message as his three paragraphs. Imagine whining about a company keeping games in their platform to incite users to buy said platform. Imagine doing that as an adult.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is bringing games to their platforms

Sony is bringing games to their platform

And yet Microsoft good and Sony bad? Nice one lol

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
If exclusives aren't a thing then they can only be competitive on hardware. And the best hardware manafacturer get all the benefits of the hard work done by the software developers of different companies. Way to take away incentive to create amazing and unique games.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
This has been explained so many times I'm suprised there's still so many people holding the same opinion as OP on here.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
exclusives are consumer unfriendly in 99% of situations and the 1% where it's debatable are the ones that wouldn't exist without funding

the way people go to bat for a consumer unfriendly practice is beyond me

I mean, in this site we have people strongly defending Nintendo's ancient and terrible policies, like how they handle online services. I'm not surprised at all.

OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Microsoft is bringing games to their platforms

Sony is bringing games to their platform

And yet Microsoft good and Sony bad? Nice one lol
Honestly? The breakdown is that I don't have to buy a machine specifically for gaming/media consumption in order to play MS games. My PC is used for a massive variety of things and I don't need to buy a special machine just to experience whatever they put out.

Oct 25, 2017
Hardware exclusives are a major downer. Between the different stores on PC being exclusive, I do not mind so much if at all cause I have access to each of those stores. Certainly not ideal if they have multiplayer or co-op that are not compatible with each other, but that is a solved/solvable issue over the long run.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Sony for making and funding games for their own hardware they should instead toss it on another platform that isn't their own

Every company is a business first. Sony went into this industry to produce hardware and SELL that hardware and be choosing to do so they built up their own exclusives to reach said goal.

Same reason why other companies produce content to sell whatever thing they are selling be it a streaming service or hardware too said thing is only anti consumer when it turns out to be a device/service you don't own compared to another.

Everyone would've liked/loved another company to give up on their exclusives and instead develop it for their own ecosystem but honestly all these games your drooling over to play on your rig would've never even been made in the first place let alone released later on PC if they weren't exclusives to begin with. They were pitched and funded due to being exclusives in the first place.

Third parties follow a different format and execution then first parties do; different risk taking too.

YES even now for MS and GamePass, said future games will be developed and funded NOT because MS wants to sing along and toss their game on every single platform (they don't) but instead they want people to have a reason to go an invest in their GAMEPASS platform and Xbox ecosystem.

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
All games should be everywhere. Stanning for megacorps who only want your money rather than wanting the art to be as widely available as possible is inhuman.
This is such a myopic opinion. If you'd get your wish, platform holders simply wouldn't invest money in the actual development of games, because it wouldn't be a way to differentiate themselves from the competition.

Console exclusives that Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft develops are the literal product of competition in the marketplace. I really don't understand how anyone could have any problem with this.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This has been explained so many times I'm suprised there's still so many people holding the same opinion as OP on here.

Yup and now it's to a point where the mods have to take charge. This is a bad narrative to set, can't believe I'm reading this on reset era. Oh and Nintendo exclusives are ok this Microsoft narrative switching is getting bad.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I would much rather have all games come out everywhere, but there's an undeniable fact: Games like God of War wouldn't be able to exist if it wasn't because Sony can afford to find them to move consoles