• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
... What?

Let's get one thing straight here: If we can be sure of one thing, it's that any corporation will do what is most profitable for them. If it's keeping some exclusives and letting others go, then they'll do that. The argument you're trying to make is a pretty dead end.

Ah ok, so you can't name a good reason then.

OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is such a myopic opinion. If you'd get your wish, platform holders simply wouldn't invest money in the actual development of games, because it wouldn't be a way to differentiate themselves from the competition.

Console exclusives that Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft develops are the literal product of competition in the marketplace. I really don't understand how anyone could have any problem with this.
You know? Fair. Exclusives are the result of competition and that's brought us to a pretty good point. Hell, it's gotten me to a point where all platforms can reasonably play everyone's game instead of something being truly unique. I suppose a better argument would be to bring down the walled garden between the platforms and make cross-play a thing across MP games.

Yup and now it's to a point where the mods have to take charge. This is a bad narrative to set, can't believe I'm reading this on reset era
Get off that high horse. Gatdayum, son.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Yes of course, no one has made art unless they're being funded by some moneymen to keep it locked behind arbitrary gates.

not art that makes you lose money - thats the logical bussiness difference

as a platform holder you are willing to lose money with your first party games if it mean you cover certain areas in your line up

as a third party publisher you make games to make money with them, simple as that (the lower the audience, the lower the budget)

Oct 28, 2017
If only releasing games on one platform is so economically advantageous, I don't see why Microsoft or even Sony themselves have let so many exclusives slip.
...it is for the platform holder. third party exclusive pretty much don't exist anymore
can you see outside the box and realize that for them maintaining their "ecosystem" is a far bigger priority than the 70%cut they would get on selling their games on other platforms?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
You create content to sell your product, no surprise there. You partner with third party to gloat and create anymosity.

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
You know? Fair. Exclusives are the result of competition and that's brought us to a pretty good point. I suppose a better argument would be to bring down the walled garden between the platforms and make cross-play a thing across MP games.

Talk about moving goalposts. Holy shit.

YOU get off your horse "son".

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know? Fair. Exclusives are the result of competition and that's brought us to a pretty good point. I suppose a better argument would be to bring down the walled garden between the platforms and make cross-play a thing across MP games.

It's not about high horse it's about how many times are we getting hot takes as threads. This is what this thread is.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Except they're awesome because they typically get the kind of resources and time only platform holders hoping to add value to the platform will afford.

Breath of the Wild, God of War, and the like don't happen unless they're exclusive.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a myopic opinion. If you'd get your wish, platform holders simply wouldn't invest money in the actual development of games, because it wouldn't be a way to differentiate themselves from the competition.

Console exclusives that Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft develops are the literal product of competition in the marketplace. I really don't understand how anyone could have any problem with this.
Came to say this. Well put.

This veiled console warring is so entertaining.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The alternative to Sony developing or bankrolling PS4 exclusive games is not Sony developing multiplatform games, OP; it's Sony not developing any games. The alternative to exclusive games being exclusive is not these same games being multiplatform; it's these games not existing.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
There will always be exclusives, but if you look at the way things are now there are a lot less of them compared to the previous generations of hardware. Most third-party games are multi-platform these days whereas back in previous generations, many of those games were locked to one platform.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

The sweet sound of corporate bootlicking apologism. The funny thing is, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo pay people to do that, but you do it free.

For one, you just need to look at the movie industry to see that plenty of entertainment giants invest massive sums of money in the development of their media, without locking it behind arbitrary gates to prevent consumers from experiencing it how they want (eventually at least). I can buy a copy of Avengers: Endgame and watch it however the fuck I want. I can't with Bloodborne. So it's not at all necessary to promote 'competition', not that locking media behind gates is competition in the first place.

Oct 27, 2017
You can have PC ports of Sony's exclusives if I can have PS <number> ports of all those neat horror games that never see a release outside the PC platform, as I can't be arsed to fork out $400+ for a PC just to game on it (I do essentially everything else on mobile and tablet anyway). Deal?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The alternative to Sony developing or bankrolling PS4 exclusive games is not Sony developing multiplatform games, OP; it's Sony not developing any games. The alternative to exclusive games being exclusive is not these same games being multiplatform; it's these games not existing.

Seriously, this idea that Sony would be making the exact same games but for more platforms is completely absurd and not based in reality. If Sony isn't using exclusives to set their console apart from the competition they wouldn't be making games at all.

If you want multiplatform games, that's what third party games are for. That's the POINT.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft makes PC OSs

Sony doesn't

it's not that hard
Ms isn't releasing their games on PC because they have suddenly discovered they make a PC OS.
Ms is releasing them because they know they can't win the coming war bound to a console, the same reason Sony will start doing it (already does).

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
All games should be everywhere. Stanning for megacorps who only want your money rather than wanting the art to be as widely available as possible is inhuman.

Your "stans" and "wants" don't put food on the table of directors, programmers and artists. Someone has to pay for these, and sometimes that someone is megacorps.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
The sweet sound of corporate bootlicking apologism. The funny thing is, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo pay people to do that, but you do it free.

For one, you just need to look at the movie industry to see that plenty of entertainment giants invest massive sums of money in the development of their media, without locking it behind arbitrary gates to prevent consumers from experiencing it how they want (eventually at least). I can buy a copy of Avengers: Endgame and watch it however the fuck I want. I can't with Bloodborne. So it's not at all necessary to promote 'competition', not that locking media behind gates is competition in the first place.
Right. And the movie industry does it because it's the morally right thing to do or something? Out of the good of their hearts?

Also, movies do get made exclusively for particular platforms, what are you on about.

Like I said, myopic.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Lol right. It's anti consumer for a company to make games for a console they make... this forum is crazy as hell.
Only if it is Sony.
I mean he didn't rant about MS games not being available on PlayStation for example, or Nintendo (he edited it later because it made no sense at all).
There are also games exclusive to PC that aren't available on consoles. No comment on that either.
Next step, stranger things on hbo and GoT on Netflix please. Lol

Seems one of those threads trying to paint a certain platform holder as the bad guy, just at the roller next gen is starting to superar in the horizon

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Complaining that Sony's games are exclusive to the PlayStation is no more rational than complaining that all video games aren't free.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Honestly? The breakdown is that I don't have to buy a machine specifically for gaming/media consumption in order to play MS games. My PC is used for a massive variety of things and I don't need to buy a special machine just to experience whatever they put out.
Well you have to subscribe to multiple streaming services to get their content, it's the same thing. This will never change. People should let go.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Yup and now it's to a point where the mods have to take charge. This is a bad narrative to set, can't believe I'm reading this on reset era. Oh and Nintendo exclusives are ok this Microsoft narrative switching is getting bad.
I agree wholeheartedly. There should just be FAQ page for takes like these. Imagine Disney+ subscribers complaining there's no Netflix Originals and blaming Netflix.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

hold on let me just pop in my BluRay copy of The Irishman

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I love exclusives. There's still a bunch of exclusives on PC/Steam that haven't touched consoles. Exclusives gives me a reason to invest into the ecosystem. Spending 300-400 on a console for one game is nonsense, but for 5 quality games? Yes.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Lot of electricity in the air the past couple of days, especially since Microsoft said no exclusive games for the Series X for the first two years and Schreier confirmed Playstation to have PS5 exclusive games on launch, and I am really not a fan of the hostility that was sparked by that.

In a perfect world I agree with that exclusivity is not a great thing for customers if you look at it in a vacuum, but there is so much more to it than just that.
However I think that we, as gamers, would be worse off if we only had games that came out for each and every platform. A deep dive into it would be required in order to convey my point, but in essence I believe that many amazing AAA exclusive games simply wouldn't exist.
(A good example of this would be Bayonetta 2 on the Switch where Nintendo helped fund the game. Or Bloodborne on the PS4 where Sony was involved and approached FROM Software to make that game. A bad example of exclusivity would be Microsoft going to Square and buying exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider for a set amount of time, which was basically locking out Playstation and PC gamers from playing it then.)

This is just my flawed subjective perspective of the matter though. Of course I would love to play Playstation exclusive games on my PC.

Time will tell. Microsoft/Xbox have a chance now. Scarlett and their approach of universal play is where they can show they have what it takes. Phil Spencer had enough time by the end of next gen (lets say around 2025-2027) to be properly judged if it was worth it or not from a gamers perspective (I am not talking financially).
Maybe my feelings on the matter are completely off and within the next 5-7 years the best games during that time are mostly Xbox games that I have enjoyed playing on my PC.
Maybe Xbox is on the right way.

At the end of the day I am just a gaming lover. I want the best possible games and many of them. I do gain nothing from having exclusive games that others can't play. However I will always prefer quality in games over accesibility. What the best approach to that is I do not know, but we will know a lot more soon.

OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Only if it is Sony.
I mean he didn't rant about MS games not being available on PlayStation for example, or Nintendo (he edited it later because it made no sense at all).
There are also games exclusive to PC that aren't available on consoles. No comment on that either.
Next step, stranger things on hbo and GoT on Netflix please. Lol
Sure! Let's put games on Playstation hardware too. My only qualm with the PC argument is that a lot of PC-exclusives are developed by (comparatively small) companies, or the barrier to entry to putting a game on consoles is simply too high for some developers. There's not much keeping a game on PC outside of resource constraints that exist on the console-end or a developer just not wanting to (see; FTL). Would be awesome if they could put those games on console too.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Movies don't make money by selling hardware. Your logic is deeply flawed.

Aug 12, 2019
All my favorite titles across the past several years have largely been exclusives, so I'm not exactly keen to jettison them. One unified product is never good for any sort of marketplace as it becomes a monopoly that the corporation can easily leverage for whatever purposes they so desire. Competition (in a mostly fair market mind you, which is a larger topic to debate on and has issues as well) breeds innovation and forces competitors to adapt, so the one platform isn't great. And games being on every platform gets more messy because it requires more and more resources from developers that could just be putting their effort towards the game (and probably directly inspires more crunch if the model of Fortnite is anything to go by in this regard).

Not to mention, there's a lot more inspiration in developing a diverse library of exclusives when you have a console to support, so you as a console manufacturer are probably more willing to take risks to develop an impressive game portfolio for your customers. Without the incentive of selling your own console product, there's less risk taking in the industry as well.

I just don't think the eradication of exclusives is going to go the way people think it is. In some way, exclusives are one of the few areas where companies are incentivized to put more effort and less bullshit into their games to showcase their hardware. So, once again, taking away that incentive might not be for the best.

Also, just saying, but Windows PC as a "platform" has a fuck ton of exclusives or "best versions" of titles out there that aren't available on consoles too, but I'm not going to call for every one of those to be ported. Hell, sometimes different consoles inspire different bases at that, which is also a good thing as we end up with a wider range of products available to customers to choose from.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Another day, another rant about exclusives.

Since most of my favourite games would not have been made without being exclusive games (mainly because of funding), I disagree with this take.

Oct 25, 2017
I would love it too if I could play all MS and Nintendo exclusives on PS5 so that I wouldn't have to buy different hardware but I can't. Damn this anti-consumerism.

/s

Aug 12, 2019
Sure! Let's put games on Playstation hardware too. My only qualm with the PC argument is that a lot of PC-exclusives are developed by (comparatively small) companies, or the barrier to entry to putting a game on consoles is simply too high for some developers. There's not much keeping a game on PC outside of resource constraints that exist on the console-end or a developer just not wanting to (see; FTL). Would be awesome if they could put those games on console too.

So, you're willing to admit that there outside circumstances that lead to titles being exclusive and that's perfectly fine?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
platform holders are in the business of selling people on their platform (whether it's a physical box that plays games or it's an OS or just a storefront). it makes sense why they would then make exclusive content that makes people gravitate towards those platforms. a lot of times, these exclusives wouldn't even be possible without the financial and technical support of the platform holder.
personally i have no problem with first party exclusives from any platform holder (MS, Nintendo, Sony, Valve, Epic, Oculus, etc). what i hate is bullshit timed-exclusivity deals and moneyhats and stuff like that, which is basically spending money so that a game that could very well be released on all possible platforms becomes an exclusive. that's just yucky imo.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I don't know what to say about this mentality. You WANT this or that on pc.

How about choosing as a consumer to support Sony or not?
How about exercising your right and forget they have exclusives. Enjoy MS's on PC.
But unfortunately, Sony doesn't seem to care for the minority that will agree with you. They're a hardware company first and foremost, they are making what supports their hardware.

Man... first world problems. I want this, I want that.
Support the company whose practices you support. Easy.