• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Here's what I have an issue with:
  • Moneyhatted exclusives
  • Timed exclusives
  • Exclusive gameplay content (costumes or whatever are fine)
  • Time exclusive DLC
  • Pre-order gameplay content
  • Retailer specific pre-order exclusives (costumes or otherwise)
IMO all of those should go the way of the dinosaurs. I have no issue with exclusives when it's clear the game would never be made without the support of the console-maker.

Also, I dunno how much of this actually happens, but exclusives just because the developers don't want to or don't have the staff/time/money to. It may just be hidden moneyhatting, but Monster Hunter used to fall under that category. Persona V is in it now. It happens largely with small indie developers or Japanese developers and it's not something that I blame the developers for, but I wish it's something that didn't have to happen.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
ResetERA recently has had much more narrative than Sony's first party, same-y, 3rd person, over the shoulder, cinematic, narrative-driven games this generation. Keep it up!

Last edited:

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Thread title says it all. With Microsoft bringing their games to the PC marketplace, I find myself more and more irritated by Sony's seeming obsession with exclusive games. I'm getting too far beyond the point in my life where I'm comfortable dropping $400+ on a machine that I'm only going to use for gaming and for an experience that I could almost definitely get if I were to run the game on my PC.

Nintendo I can somewhat accept since the Switch is at least doing something that my PC can't. Hell, I'm perfectly fine with exclusives that rely on a console's specific and proprietary technology to work. Editing to take this one back; Nintendo games have no real reason to be exclusive either.

Yes, basically a rant thread. Partially inspired by the fact that I really want to play Bloodborne with decent performance. But hey, who knows! Maybe PS5 will introduce some kind of technology that isn't really feasible for me to achieve on PC.

All you have to do is wait for PS Now to include Bloodborne if not on it already. I fail to get your point as a PC gamer ?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is lowkey reminding me of a thread on GAF where there was a load of people trying to explain why Sony not publishing their first party IP on PC was anti-consumer. The absolute height of entitlement.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The alternative to Sony developing or bankrolling PS4 exclusive games is not Sony developing multiplatform games, OP; it's Sony not developing any games. The alternative to exclusive games being exclusive is not these same games being multiplatform; it's these games not existing.
Seriously, this idea that Sony would be making the exact same games but for more platforms is completely absurd and not based in reality. If Sony isn't using exclusives to set their console apart from the competition they wouldn't be making games at all.

If you want multiplatform games, that's what third party games are for. That's the POINT.
this right here

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
First party exclusives are fine.

Third party exclusives are bullshit - even if you have the hardware *cough* Epic Game Store *cough*

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why some people were throwing out anti-consumer towards the OP when they didn't even state that word in the OP. Exclusives aren't anti-consumer they just aren't pro-consumer. I hope Sony does put their games on PC and they go the ecosystem route (which seems inevitable to me). Either way, I get it...it would be nice if software was device agnostic. Streaming will be the closest for us to get there.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine whining about a company keeping games in their platform to incite users to buy said platform. Imagine doing that as an adult.

giphy.gif

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Thread title says it all. With Microsoft bringing their games to the PC marketplace, I find myself more and more irritated by Sony's seeming obsession with exclusive games. I'm getting too far beyond the point in my life where I'm comfortable dropping $400+ on a machine that I'm only going to use for gaming and for an experience that I could almost definitely get if I were to run the game on my PC.

Nintendo I can somewhat accept since the Switch is at least doing something that my PC can't. Hell, I'm perfectly fine with exclusives that rely on a console's specific and proprietary technology to work. Editing to take this one back; Nintendo games have no real reason to be exclusive either.

Yes, basically a rant thread. Partially inspired by the fact that I really want to play Bloodborne with decent performance. But hey, who knows! Maybe PS5 will introduce some kind of technology that isn't really feasible for me to achieve on PC.

Make a rant about Netflix' exclusives next, please.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the exclusives you want wouldn't exist if they weren't pitched as exclusives. You think Gravity Rush, Tearaway, and all the other PlayStation games that probably lose money would exist if Sony wasn't willing to take the hit?

Same goes for Nintendo and Microsoft. Some of these games only exist because a big company is willing to bankroll it.

Enjoy exclusives while you can.

They've got five years to exist, tops.

What makes you think that? Exclusives are probably more important more than they've ever been.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Microsoft makes exclusives too, just to their platforms while Sony makes exclusives for their platform.

Microsoft supports Microsoft Windows but not Playstation platforms. Why are you expecting Sony to support Microsoft Windows but not Microsoft support Playstation?

How nice and convenient would it be for Microsoft if all you needed was Microsoft Windows to play every game...

Last edited:

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this is what Era threads are going to devolve into for the next year... then yikes.
Exactly... I dont sven know what to think between this thread, the one that said Sony is anti-consumer because of exclusive games on PS5...
I hope the standards of Era doesn't drop to Gamefaqs levels.

BTW, if you believe this thread is portbegging, report it as such. Easy.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
They do it to make money obviously. And yes, there's a growing trend towards movie companies moving to lock their content away behind arbitrary gates, but they didn't use to and still don't have to make a profit. US vs Paramount Pictures put an end to that sort of exclusivity arrangement for cinema chains.

Further, you supporting moves that take choice away from you in order to give megacorps more money makes you a corporate bootlicking apologist.

No. It makes me a pragmatist with his feet firmly planted in reality. Unlike a pointless idealist.

Companies should have the option to make a product and release it however they wish. You're acting like games are a human right instead of the luxury product that they are.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That is not the only way to get paid for their products, and getting paid in no way requires the megacorps to hide their games behind arbitrary gates. Many of the most successful games out there are successful because they are available everywhere.

It may not the only way, but it's one of the safest alternatives to making games on their own dime and risking bankrupcy if they're not successful. Who the fuck are you to tell them that they're wrong? If you have a problem with their choices, make a multiplatform game yourself, instead of demanding others to take that huge risk just because you feel entitled to every game ever made without paying a dime for hardware.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Further, you supporting moves that take choice away from you in order to give megacorps more money makes you a corporate bootlicking apologist.

Before you're banned for insulting other users, humor me: describe the alternate timeline and chain of events that led to Breath of the Wild, Bloodborne and The Last of Us to both be made and be multiplatform games.

Edit: Ah well.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You can replace OP's post with

giphy.gif

and it would have the message as his three paragraphs. Imagine whining about a company keeping games in their platform to incite users to buy said platform. Imagine doing that as an adult.

I mean, I didn't even do that as a kid. I was perfectly aware why NES games were NES games and Master System games were Master System games.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
OP is right, I can't imagine why Sony or Nintendo wouldn't want to take less profit on their product, directly contribute to profiting their competitors, and de-incentivize their own platform. Like, I literally can't even think of one reason why these corporations wouldn't want that.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You know what's funny? If you search the word "anti" in this thread, every result for "anti-consumer" will be from posts making fun of this statement. There's actually zero posts claiming that PS5 having exclusives is anti consumer.

Who the hell even said that? I don't 100% doubt someone actually said at some point in some thread but why the hell this is being used as a strawman against people with a different opinion in 99% of the posts?

How stupid this can be? Thread just turned into an echo chamber of people mocking an argument that nobody in the thread made lol

I don't even agree with OP, but there's nothing there implying anything but how exclusives sucks in his/her opinion, which is a 100% valid opinion and don't deserve this amount of garbage.

OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Don't misconstrue the OP, he had a very good reason why one is OK and the other isn't.
The reason is he owned a Switch and he "wasn't confortable" buying a PS4.
I own a PS4. Spin the wheel again!

The premise is mostly that we're going into next gen and there will likely be little difference between boxes. Other than which games are on which platform, which is pretty lame if the only real selling point isn't the hardware, but the software. I would thrilled to be wrong. I would love it if PS5, Switch, and Xbox all did their own thing and provided more than unique ecosystems.

OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So when you said:
I'm getting too far beyond the point in my life where I'm comfortable dropping $400+ on a machine that I'm only going to use for gaming and for an experience that I could almost definitely get if I were to run the game on my PC.
You meant... what exactly? PS5?
Yeah, PS5 and even Xbox. As of right now, I don't believe either machine will provide me with an experience that absolutely has to come from their hardware.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Totally disagree. I think exclusives tend to be some of the best games ever as there is a much more direct driver to push tech, gameplay, storytelling, etc. forward.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Excluives suck and are anti-consumer. Put games on every major platform. PC, Xbox, PS, Switch. Just fuckin' do it.

So you don't want Sony or Nintendo to make games anymore then. Got it.

There's no point in platform-holders making games if they don't exist to differentiate their platforms. It's needless financial waste.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
You know what's funny? If you search the word "anti" in this thread, every result for "anti-consumer" will be from posts making fun of this statement. There's actually zero posts claiming that PS5 having exclusives is anti consumer.

Who the hell even said that? I don't 100% doubt someone actually said at some point in some thread but why the hell this is being used as a strawman against people with a different opinion in 99% of the posts?

How stupid this can be? Thread just turned into an echo chamber of people mocking an argument that nobody in the thread made lol

I don't even agree with OP, but there's nothing there implying anything but how exclusives sucks in his/her opinion, which is a 100% valid opinion and don't deserve this amount of garbage.

It's been pretty prevalent in some other big related threads going on at the moment, you're probably just seeing overspill here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
A lot of the best games of all time are exclusive; Mario, Uncharted 2-4, MGS4, Spider-Man, God of War, etc. the list goes on. No exclusives would be lame. I prefer having a reason to own one console over the other, it's pretty simple.