• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So, you're willing to admit that there outside circumstances that lead to titles being exclusive and that's perfectly fine?
Yes, through the course of discussing with the people I will concede that there are outside circumstances that lead to titles being exclusive. So I would like formulate a new argument; With everyone's permission of course.

I think games that exist within a walled garden suck (see: any multiplayer game that's not cross-platform).

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I don't know what to say about this mentality. You WANT this or that on pc.

How about choosing as a consumer to support Sony or not?
How about exercising your right and forget they have exclusives. Enjoy MS's on PC.
But unfortunately, Sony doesn't seem to care for the minority that will agree with you. They're a hardware company first and foremost, they are making what supports their hardware.

Man... first world problems. I want this, I want that.
Support the company whose practices you support. Easy.

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So.... we're now asking Console manufacturers to have agnostic platforms to where all games are available in the marketplace? So... what's the differentiating factor between all of the console manufacturers if they're no longer allowed to harvest exclusives?

That's like asking all of these streaming services to not have any exclusive content. See how that would never work?

Please put yourself in their shoes and how they have to run their businesses to make a profit and keep the lights on.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You know? Fair. Exclusives are the result of competition and that's brought us to a pretty good point. Hell, it's gotten me to a point where all platforms can reasonably play everyone's game instead of something being truly unique.

Well, how about that. Who said that nobody ever changes their mind in an online discussion? :)

I suppose a better argument would be to bring down the walled garden between the platforms and make cross-play a thing across MP games.

That's a better argument in the sense that it's not completely and utterly nonsensical, yes; but you're still going to get shit for your OP as long as the thread is open, so I'd advise you to contact a mod to close it.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
IMO ALL exclusives are bad for the customer unless its developed inhouse by the console maker's developers. Why? Because only specific customers get benefited from them who purchase the console maker's product. IMO any other third party developer wasted on those exclusives is a loss for the average consumer. I know some people bring up IPs which are 'rescued' and funded by these console makers and while i can't say for sure that its a loss overall since you know there is no chance of it getting revived unless its funded, still it can't be played by the fans of its previous iterations. So iam kind of mum on this one.

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I gripe about exclusives here I always get quoted a bunch of times about how the parent company is entitled to IP they cultivated. Of course that's true, but it doesn't mean it's good for you as a consumer. Also exclusivity does NOT, in my opinion, promote competition in any beneficial sort of way.

But yes, if a company throws a bunch of money at a dev studio and grows it into something great, of course its theirs to do with what they want. That is irrelevant to what is good versus what is bad for consumers.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
They'll be easier to handle once streaming takes off for real, if Stadia shows the norm for streaming latency then you could easily play the exclusive games that way.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, through the course of discussing with the people I will concede that there are outside circumstances that lead to titles being exclusive. So I would like formulate a new argument; With everyone's permission of course.

I think games that exist within a walled garden suck (see: any multiplayer game that's not cross-platform).
Are Nintendo walled garden games still cool though?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
First-party exclusives have been fine and dandy until Microsoft felt it wasn't selling well enough and changed their strategy to make more money by putting them on more devices. The traditional market doesn't work in a way that satisfies Xbox investors, but it's working absolutely wonderfully for Nintendo and Sony. First-party exclusives were never a bad thing and they never ever will be. It's obvious why they exist and why people are perfectly happy to buy new hardware to play them.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey OP, Sony is trash for making exclusive games right? How about showing them whose boss and not buying a PS5 for $400+ dollars! That'll show em!
Unfortunately though.. myself and 100 Million+ other people will still buy it.. and thats going to do little to change their behavior :(

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Yes of course, no one has made art unless they're being funded by some moneymen to keep it locked behind arbitrary gates.
It's not that no one would make games, which is obviously nonsense.
It's that the console maker has great incentive to both make and fund games, in order to push their own hardware. If you think Nintendo or Sony would make anywhere near the amount of quality games without having their own hardware, you're delusional.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
User banned (1 day): hostility, personal attacks
Your "stans" and "wants" don't put food on the table of directors, programmers and artists. Someone has to pay for these, and sometimes that someone is megacorps.

That is not the only way to get paid for their products, and getting paid in no way requires the megacorps to hide their games behind arbitrary gates. Many of the most successful games out there are successful because they are available everywhere.

Right. And the movie industry does it because it's the morally right thing to do or something? Out of the good of their hearts?

Also, movies do get made exclusively for particular platforms, what are you on about.

Like I said, myopic.

They do it to make money obviously. And yes, there's a growing trend towards movie companies moving to lock their content away behind arbitrary gates, but they didn't use to and still don't have to make a profit. US vs Paramount Pictures put an end to that sort of exclusivity arrangement for cinema chains.

Further, you supporting moves that take choice away from you in order to give megacorps more money makes you a corporate bootlicking apologist.

hold on let me just pop in my BluRay copy of The Irishman

Not a fan of Netflix doing the same, though I do note that they have released series and the likes on Bluray, making them more widely available.

It's not that no one would make games, which is obviously nonsense.
It's that the console maker has great incentive to both make and fund games, in order to push their own hardware. If you think Nintendo or Sony would make anywhere near the amount of quality games without having their own hardware, you're delusional.

Quality games like Days Gone right? Quality isn't determined by exclusivity.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First-party exclusives have been fine and dandy until Microsoft felt it wasn't selling well enough and changed their strategy to make more money by putting them on more devices. The traditional market doesn't work in a way that satisfies Xbox investors, but it's working absolutely wonderfully for Nintendo and Sony. First-party exclusives were never a bad thing and they never ever will be. It's obvious why they exist and why people are perfectly happy to buy new hardware to play them.
Way too much sense. Way too much. But, perfectly said. It boils down to...
BUSINESS MODELS.
MS was being decimated in the market place, they strategised a different method to make money.

OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hey OP, Sony is trash for making exclusive games right? How about showing them whose boss and not buying a PS5 for $400+ dollars! That'll show em!
Unfortunately though.. myself and 100 Million+ other people will still buy it.. and thats going to do little to change their behavior :(
You are my nemesis. My Grendel. My Sauron.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I love exclusives, most of the time they end up being my favorite games.

I dont see anything wrong with me choosing to either buy hardware from Nintendo or Sony. I am not owed anything and nor should I expect Sony or Nintendo to put millions into a game to help support competition.

Complaints about exclusivity is just silly.

Griever

Oct 27, 2017
By now you should be used to it. Almost every form of entertainment has their own unique "pull"...that's just business.

If you want to watch Disney+ shows subscribe to it, Netflix shows? Subscribe to Netflix. And I could go on and on.

It's really not hard to understand that that is the way business is.

You can't expect exclusive Mercedes-Benz features and designs on a cheap Toyota, because that's what sets them apart.

That is a fact, you don't have to like it, but you should really get used to it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So.... we're now asking Console manufacturers to have agnostic platforms to where all games are available in the marketplace? So... what's the differentiating factor between all of the console manufacturers if they're no longer allowed to harvest exclusives?

That's like asking all of these streaming services to not have any exclusive content. See how that would never work?

Please put yourself in their shoes and how they have to run their businesses to make a profit and keep the lights on.
Apple are anti consumer. Why aren't their apps on Android????

HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc All anti consumer.

Disney is now with Disney Plus.

When will it end!?!?!?

What's amazing, is the exclusive content is used in arguments for streaming services. So...which one is it? Is it good or bad? Or does it change depending on how your preferred company looks?

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Here we go again. LOL. Exclusives are needed for any type of platform-based buisness because you need to draw attention to your platform with compelling content you can only find on it. They're not bad or evil, they're needed for any platform to thrive.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
What a weird take. Are we going to have this argument now everytime a big exclusive is announced on any platform? Or Netflix or Disney + or Amazon Video?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
And I thought the next gen hype thread was bad where after years of hype people were suddenly fine with 4 tflops because of random Lockhart rumors.

Reminds me of Twitch with people complaining about exclusives and memeing "PC Master Race".

Oct 25, 2017
PC gamers love to say this and it's something that I've always found to be nonsense (I say this while also playing on PC myself). Third party exclusives are absolutely dumb and those games should be everywhere, but 1st party games? The anti-consumer argument makes zero sense there. If you want to play their games then buy their consoles, if you don't care enough to then that's on you. It's not anti-consumer for Nintendo or Sony to have exclusive games on their platform. Just like it's not anti-consumer for Netflix to have exclusive shows (funded by themselves) on their service. You never hear anyone say it for the latter so not sure why it's popular to do so when it comes to the former.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
"I want Sony exclusives on my PC!" is portbegging isn't it?
I'm suprised the theard isn't locked already.

Most exclusives wouldn't exist at all if they weren't exclusive to begin with. That's the nature of supporting your platform or ecosystem.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are my nemesis. My Grendel. My Sauron.
I... don't catch your drift friend. I'm just trying to say this is how the world has always worked.

2000 years ago, if you wanted olive oil A from Saul, but Olive oil B was sold down your road by Seth. You had to put your sandals on and walk to Saul. In the rain, hail, hurricane etc. If you want something you had a choice.
Going down the road and buying Olive oil B is an option too. Even though it tasted putrid, it too is a choice.
Of course theres always the option of not having olive oil at all if nothing is to your liking.

See, things haven't changed for thousands of years.

*You can substitute olive oil for anything.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Backseat moderation and mod-whining over multiple posts. Remember that mods are all volunteers.
"I want Sony exclusives on my PC!" is portbegging isn't it?
I'm suprised the theard isn't locked already.

Most exclusives wouldn't exist at all if they weren't exclusive to begin with. That's the nature of supporting your platform or ecosystem.

Yeah should have been locked already but yeah you know mods not doing there jobs anymore.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Thread title says it all. With Microsoft bringing their games to the PC marketplace, I find myself more and more irritated by Sony's seeming obsession with exclusive games. I'm getting too far beyond the point in my life where I'm comfortable dropping $400+ on a machine that I'm only going to use for gaming and for an experience that I could almost definitely get if I were to run the game on my PC.

Nintendo I can somewhat accept since the Switch is at least doing something that my PC can't. Hell, I'm perfectly fine with exclusives that rely on a console's specific and proprietary technology to work. Editing to take this one back; Nintendo games have no real reason to be exclusive either.

Yes, basically a rant thread. Partially inspired by the fact that I really want to play Bloodborne with decent performance. But hey, who knows! Maybe PS5 will introduce some kind of technology that isn't really feasible for me to achieve on PC.
Port begging threads seem to be getting creative. Bloodborne wouldn't even exist without that Sony money. Sony's gaming arm and Nintendo have been obsessed (literally their entire raison d'etre) with exclusive games since the very beginning, are you new to the gaming hobby or just lowkey trolling with that "seeming obsession" comment? This isn't a phenomenon with gaming, streaming services also do this. Why would these companies change strategy, just because MS has finally remembered they have another platform to sell games on?

Also your highness, if millions of people can play and enjoy Bloodborne on the peasantly PS4 and declare it their GOTGeneration, so can you.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
You went back on it so I guess it's okay.

Honesly now compared to the past there are far less platform exclusives.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
You can already play big Sony first party games on PC through PSNow and who knows in what way PSNow will improve next gen. If they want to match Game Pass, they'll release first party games day one of release, which means you can play everything on a PC.

Oct 25, 2017
OP is unironic right, Nintendo is an exception because when are pc games gonna officially support gyroscope, where are the pc Joy-Con controllers ? huh