• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
lol. Poor people migrate on foot. How are they going to reach Europe? Casually stroll through Afghanistan and Iraq? Or maybe walk into the loving arms of Putin if you want to go a safer way?

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At some point, Siberia is going to have a part to play in global migration. Not sure that's going to happen now though.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I'm going to quote myself from the old Indian water shortage thread:

India running out of water is an extremely dangerous prospect for the rest of the world. The EU and the US need to subsidise building of desalination and water/waste water treatment plants in India now to help mitigate the worst affects of this in the future.

I mean you say that the EU and US do this and that and give money but what is the prospect of India actually using the money to build those things? How do we know that they won't just fuck around and steal all the money? or how would any other nation being given such help such as Italy, Hungary or Russia would deal with those monetary resources?

Or maybe we should send workers and equipment to them and build it ourselves? What's the resolution here cause if they can't even manage to handle their own water supply maintenance why do you think they would fair better if EU and US would subsidize it suddenly ?

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I really don't see how water refugees will follow pattern of political or economic migration. If you run out of water you are dead within a matter of days. Most of those people won't make it anywhere near mainland Europe.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Mass displacement of people is going to test every political boundary and social contract we have.

Less than a million people fleeing the war in Syria have already exposed just how willing the UK and other European countries are to let people die, and that's a fraction of the level of migration we'll see if big swathes of the world become unfit for human habitation.

I live in a nice village, with good public schools, and lots of green space. There are sheep grazing outside the window as I type this. Around here, people (not me, I should add) protest building 50 new houses so that others can have a place to live, because it will ruin their view. How are these people going to react to thousands or tens of thousands being resettled in their area? By voting in officials who oppose that resettlement, at the very least.

The hardline border policies of today are going to look like this in comparison:

rxBziGprllFfrOjgrnOPJi9EETGwmiYsjwlS_ENbC9M.jpg

And even if that doesn't materialise, we're still looking at decades - probably centuries - of internecine violence and hatred.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I wonder how the malicious "Hindutva" uber nationalistic movement, a pervasive and pernicious propaganda will play into this.

In recent times, I have seen a lot of clean up efforts in India but the issues, if not tackled from the base, like education, population sustainability, production of plastic products en mass and cheaply, etc etc, it will be always be a catch up game for the country. And as push comes to shove, the minorities will get absolutely fucked.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
I have reservations about this simply because a lot of current economic migrants from the ME and North Africa barely make it with comparatively much shorter distances involved.

But let's entertain the possibility regardless. Even if they somehow make it to the "gates of Europe" through the Middle East, there's little guarantee Turkey won't just stop them at their end before even entering Anatolia.

And by the time these supposed large scale migrations become even a remote possibility, the EU will (and should) invest a lot more in both the protection and surveillance of their outer borders. The lessons of the Balkan route migration proved we were not well prepared then.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't think water will be the issue in the future due to recycling technology improving which is happening at a rapid rate, but oil is for sure an issue, fracking brought us some time though, but obviously fracking has it's own set of issues.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Europe" did not exploit India for centuries. The UK is a country in Europe.
eh, European control of the "East Indian" region did not fuel into its self. Nor Europe as a whole not benefit from just the UK's influence in India. The Portuguese started it but could the HEIC be a thing if the VOC didn't do it first? Imperialism was a disease that spreads and despite not being directly implicit, it was undeniably all connected.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
I have reservations about this simply because a lot of current economic migrants from the ME and North Africa barely make it with comparatively much shorter distances involved.

But let's entertain the possibility regardless. Even if they somehow make it to the "gates of Europe" through the Middle East, there's little guarantee Turkey won't just stop them at their end before even entering Anatolia.

And by the time these supposed large scale migrations become even a remote possibility, the EU will (and should) invest a lot more in both the protection and surveillance of their outer borders. The lessons of the Balkan route migration proved we were not well prepared then.
We are not talking about desperate marches, but a giant migration of people.

Water shortage does not mean total misery.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I mean you say that the EU and US do this and that and give money but what is the prospect of India actually using the money to build those things? How do we know that they won't just fuck around and steal all the money? or how would any other nation being given such help such as Italy, Hungary or Russia would deal with those monetary resources?

Or maybe we should send workers and equipment to them and build it ourselves? What's the resolution here cause if they can't even manage to handle their own water supply maintenance why do you think they would fair better if EU and US would subsidize it suddenly ?

It's not like I think India will spend the money efficiently, but the catastrophe that could come from this is so large we should dedicate funds to combat it now.

Counties normally have a Foreign Aid budget, part of that should be dedicated to fighting this exact problem.

(As a EU thing, really we should combine all our foreign aid budgets together to act as a larger amount of funds for large scale projects like this).

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry the people in charge already have their xenophobia campaigns lined up.

You realise there are over 1.3 billion people in India right? At some point migration worries stop becoming xenophobia and start becoming valid concerns. There are very few countries on earth that have got their shit together enough to cope with huge waves of population increases.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A big problem with opening the doors to Indian water refugees is there would be a massive brain drain of sorts where the only people who can afford to leave are those who would have had the financial, political, and intellectual resources to solve the problem in India. The problem is then made worse for those who remain in India. This has always been a problem for poor countries, the talented and resourceful people who could make it better don't want to sacrifice their life to make a better one for future generations, so they say "this doesn't have to be my problem anymore" and leave for greener pastures.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The sad moment when 'Children of Men' stops being a sci-fi and switch to being an immigration documentary.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
We are not talking about desperate marches, but a giant migration of people.

Water shortage does not mean total misery.

Two things: 1. I did not say it was total misery. 2. I don't doubt that mass migration is a real possibility, but I am doubting the possibility that Europe will be targeted or affected as stated in the article.

I am (and some people in this topic should be) aware that a good number of people in India have, in fact, escaped extreme poverty in the last few years thanks to a number of factors. I was merely entertaining the idea of a "large scale migration" in the sense that the poorest (of which there are still tens of millions) would be affected first and those would not have a lot of choice in travel options.

In other words, the middle class and above would choose to go by regular and "legal" means anyway, while the survivability of large groups going to Europe by foot/bus really can't be very high. Those that do make it wouldn't be able to enter Europe easily anyway and even if the possibility exists, you can bet the EU would first in line to help India solve the water issue before the need of a migration even becomes a thing.

All in all, I am stating points as to why I think it won't happen.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
These questions do not seem sincere to me. I think you're only interested in poking holes in my suggestions for daring to say this forum is Eurocentric. I will attempt to put forward some solutions nonetheless in an effort to steer this discussion in a more meaningful direction. I hope to hear your ideas and suggestions following my post.

*Aggressive investment into water catchment infrastructure. One good example of this is the push towards use of recharge wells in Bangalore, which if built in large numbers would significantly reduce the city's reliance of water from the nearby lakes, even with the current decrease in rainfall: http://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/recharge-wells-guide-34552

*Strict regulations and enforcement around disposal of waste water into rivers and oceans. Pushing strongly for water recycling initiatives. Very little waste water today in India is recycled and more efforts in this area would go a long way towards meeting their water usage needs: https://www.thehindubusinessline.co...ter-everywhere-recycle-it/article24436356.ece

*Reducing water loss by fixing leakages in distribution systems. A large amount of water just goes to waste due to poor pipelines: https://m.timesofindia.com/city/coi...water-go-waste-daily/articleshow/64800206.cms

*Pricing and charging water consumption accurately. Water rates are highly subsidised and not directly linked to actual consumption. Water metering and reductions of subsidies to middle income/urban areas will provide and economic incentive to conserve water: http://citizenmatters.in/can-water-metering-help-indian-cities-avoid-doomsday-13754

*Since people always bring up population which undoubtedly drives greater demand for water resources, better sex and family planning education. Economic growth and rise in general education will go a long way towards curbing population growth as the opportunity costs of having children rises. This is already visible with fertility rates in India dropping over time. I think this is a far more humane approach than any government enforced policy.: https://m.economictimes.com/news/po...lity-rate-goes-south/articleshow/70220785.cms

*A more ambitious but perhaps unfeasible and environmentally risky project is the rivers interlinking plan which aims to link major rivers across geographic areas with unequal levels of water availability: http://www.futuredirections.org.au/...scheme-a-solution-to-indias-water-challenges/

All of the above will require significant cooperation and coordination between all private and public institutions of India. I do have my doubts about India overcoming its institutional issues to begin taking actions in time to address its resource shortages. However I hold out on the hope that its citizens and city councils will begin to take action to address the needs of their local communities and this will eventually filter upwards into higher levels of government.

Dam what a great post. I know what you mean about being Eurocentric. I also don't bother when it relates to my country, not worth the effort sometimes.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a very local problem, maybe exacerbated by climate change, but very much a local problem.
The solution is quite simple - rain water catchment, and wastewater treatment. There's no need to resort to desalinization, or mass-scale migrations.
India is not a desert. It's quite a water-rich country, as a whole, which has been TERRIBLY mismanaging their water sources and creating artificial problems mafias can benefit off.

Honestly, China is proving better ran than India, at least regarding nation-scale issues.

Nuking your neighbor for their water sources seems counter productive considering the impact of nuclear radiation on everything including water sources.

Not that it wouldn't be stupid for an entire array of reasons, but water is extremely radiation-resistant, and bombs really don't release relevant quantities of radiation.

Cut it out with the scaremongering, anyhow. Potable water is a very easy resource to replenish, outside deserts.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a very local problem, maybe exacerbated by climate change, but very much a local problem.
The solution is quite simple - rain water catchment, and wastewater treatment. There's no need to resort to desalinization, or mass-scale migrations.
India is not a desert. It's quite a water-rich country, as a whole, which has been TERRIBLY mismanaging their water sources and creating artificial problems mafias can benefit off.

Honestly, China is proving better ran than India, at least regarding nation-scale issues.

Not that it wouldn't be stupid for an entire array of reasons, but water is extremely radiation-resistant, and bombs really don't release relevant quantities of radiation.

Cut it out with the scaremongering, anyhow. Potable water is a very easy resource to replenish, outside deserts.
Huh? I'm not the one who brought up India nuking people. I'm definitely not trying to scaremonger.