• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How did the movie Waterworld get the future so horribly wrong? I feel like this is directly Kevin Costner's fault somehow.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Handy spelling note: megadeth is the band, a megadeath is one million deaths.

You know, for when you start having to use it in discussions during the 2020s.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yep.

Climate change is absolutely going to result in large scale migration.

Which the West including climate change deniers have known about for decades.

It was one of the cornerstones of the NeoCon agenda in the Middle East. Take control before climate crisis makes it so unstable oil is off the menu.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Desalinisation is not a magic bullet unfortunately, it's very expensive, not just in terms of capital but also energy, which in India will likely be coming from coal fired power stations. There are also environmental impacts because huge amounts of hot, very salty water are discharged into the sea, affecting the balance of salinity around the coast.
I think I read War is probably cheaper than Desalination. People will resort to that first before doing that process in mass quantities. It's crazy.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
if you watched the big short, Christian Bales character, the guy who shorted the housing market before 2008 and made bank, took a lot of his profit from then and invested in what he predicted would be the next crisis

water

Aug 16, 2019
UK
I think it's possible. China for example not only slowed down desertification, they have made their deserts green again. And it's not like they put all their money on this issue.

Of course it's not easy to solve it, but mainly because of politics. The tech itself is moving fast, the last record for solar is a bit above 2 cents per kwh, eventually we'll break the 2 cents barrier. For all those plants, cheap energy is needed.
Yes but China had previous examples and could prevent the problem (eg electrical public transports), in India there is no room for prevention, hence much more difficult and costly

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Wars wil be fought and genocide will occur because of mass migration caused by climate change.

Climate refugees are going to be looked down upon highly by fascists in power.

Buckle up, buttercups.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Literally darker than cyberpunk.
Billions in enclosed slums, while the top gets gene-editing and specialized cures for their own cancer types.

To others quoting me: yes, I understand desalinization techniques are not a magic bullet, but they are just one tool out of a toolbox where the limiting factor is not the environment, but money.

I kinda fear we'll look at certain dystopian scifi productions like Cyberpunk and consider them waaay optimistic.

I don't see us as a race overcoming the environmental challenges that lie ahead of us without decades of ugly shit going down and a lot of suffering.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Yes but China had previous examples and could prevent the problem (eg electrical public transports), in India there is no room for prevention, hence much more difficult and costly
Well, they need to start from somewhere. If they don't do it now, it will only be more severe in the future.
Fortunately the Indians are better than we give them credit for. They have installed one of the largest solar farm and will continue make more progress.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
And yet still almost everyone I talk to about the worldwide genocide that's coming go silent and say nothing whenever I bring it up. It will happen sooner than most of us expect, prepare yourself for it.

I also think nukes will one day fly between India and Pakistan. Neither one of those countries should have them. The pressures between them are too great, it was a massive failure on the part of the world to allow that to happen.

Last edited:

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Thoughts and prayers for the people we'll slaughter?

Man, i hate the future

In the US that will absolutely happen, folks here will convince themselves that white Christians are God's chosen people. They'll lament that the others have to die, but they'll justify it using the above and then say that they'll pray for the souls of the dead.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Thoughts and prayers for the people we'll slaughter?

Man, i hate the future
Obviously we will not be aware of anything except when its too late!

(with "we" I mean our western society who will shut everyone out and let mass deaths unfold right on our border then act all sad and "never forget, never let it happen again" when all is said and done. So we feel better, rinse and repeat...)

Seriously, if climate migration leads to the rise of fascism and "walls around europe" or whatever, then humanity has failed and its time to write us off.

In the US that will absolutely happen, folks here will convince themselves that white Christians are God's chosen people. They'll lament that the others have to die, but they'll justify it using the above and then say that they'll pray for the souls of the dead.
This is also an option though.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
US won't slaughter anyone. As usual, we'll just find ways to not be helpful and scores of people will die as a result. And we won't feel responsible because we didn't do anything...while refusing to acknowledge that inaction is an action.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
US won't slaughter anyone. As usual, we'll just find ways to not be helpful and scores of people will die as a result. And we won't feel responsible because we didn't do anything...while refusing to acknowledge that inaction is an action.

I think the US will absolutely slaughter others. Most of it will be done by paramilitary white vigilantes. It's an American tradition, after all.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'll never get why more counties like India don't do desalinization.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've been thinking about the very likely mass slaughter of water refugees for a while now. I mean, it's bound to happen until the richest countries reverse course right now and throw money (and technology) at this problem. And even if that were to happen (which it won't), we don't have time left.

The system will reset itself, one way or another.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I'm telling you right now that this isn't going to happen. The current relatively minor refugee crisis caused a right-wave with the UK voting to leave the European Union (it definitely played a part). The spiritual successor to the Yugoslav wars will happen before any sort of mass migration takes place.

How will the refugees actually get there? I can only imagine how Pakistan would feel about a hundred million people from their hated neighbour wandering through their country. I wonder if the Indian government would ever use their nuclear weapons as leverage? There's also the whole caste system where the leadership might be happy to see the culling of those "below" them.

Russia will be interesting considering they have the most water out of the European countries while also having the lowest population density.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
India should invest in desalinization to counter act this. I can't imagine Europeans being open to allowing water refugees considering India's population is absolutely massive and honestly they shouldn't really allow it as it would be a disaster. Hopefully the left leaning governments don't do it as it will most definitely end up with the right gaining power which is dangerous.

For what its worth, I don't see a problem with even a few hundred thousand refugees spread across Europe but anything approaching even 10% of the amount affected is simply not possible and China is out of the question considering their history.

Shouldn't allow it?

There should be no choice. If people need to migrate to survive then you don't turn them away.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
India can afford nuclear weapons and space programs.

Maybe Modi can take a break from Kashmir and focus on the water issues his nation is facing. He can start by addressing the pollution of rivers.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Yeah I'm sure Russia will welcome indian refugees with open arms.

My thoughts exactly.

I wonder if they'll let people pass through like Turkey does or if they'll see themselves as the metaphorical Gates of Vienna and "hold the line" for the rest of Europe. Mass migration makes for good political leverage, but the population of Russia is also pretty racist....

The traditional Middle East route to Europe will probably be a death trap if water becomes a serious concern.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Is mass desalination feasible? Desalination seems like a good way to fight water scarcity and rising ocean levels but you never actually see it being proposed.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Is mass desalination feasible? Desalination seems like a good way to fight water scarcity and rising ocean levels but you never actually see it being proposed.

It's incredibly energy intensive and therefore expensive. Countries like Australia and Israel have made a lot of progress into making desalination more efficient and affordable, but the technology is not ready to be deployed on a mass scale.

A cheap, clean energy breakthrough is what we need the most. A new Manhattan project to figure out a way to master and quickly deploy nuclear fusion power across the globe is THE panacea to combat climate change.

If clean energy is so cheap that it's essentially free things like desalination, industrial carbon capture, and much more widescale recycling will all become affordable to widely deploy.