• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Preface

So this will be long and I'm sorry. If one person reads this and has felt it has been of value then I've honestly done my job. I'm writing this primarily to coherently explain what has been happening in the community, why things are they way they are now, what can be changed in a more digestible (non-inflammatory) fashion. I think the same things have been said for weeks now so I won't repeat the obvious but instead I will try to focus on why things are why they are now and what needs to happen. Not only specifics in regards to what needs to change inside the game in terms of mechanics and design decisions but in terms of big picture vision.

I will say that I'm not a hardcore Destiny 2 player. I played Destiny 1 a lot but not to the degree of those on the Era community. That being said I have played enough to know and explain many things in regards to the current situation and I say this only to show that I'm not ignorant. First thing is first, I will outline that there are three types of Destiny players: hardcore players, casual players, hybrid players. Hardcore players are the diehard fans and people that play Destiny an obscene amount. These are also the players that play this as a regular hobby. It's the "My Game" or "My Go To Game" essentially. There is the casual player. These are the players that pick up a game and once they feel that they've sufficiently "completed" the game move on to the next best thing and maybe come back. Maybe. Lastly we have the Hybrid players. Gamers that are hardcore and love Destiny but perhaps not play Destiny religiously. They for sure adore the game but they maybe don't commit the time to it. Essentially, they're invested, just not in terms of time so they are ultimately invested in the game's/franchise's future. I fall in here.

Intro

I will write this a bit like a debate. I think the current situation of where the game is at ultimately lies between two main reasons. The first is the community. The second being Bungie not understanding the market. I will center my explanations around these two points.

The Loudest Ones are Usually the Dumbest

Let's address the community issue first. When I say this I don't mean this to be belittling. Most gamers are not good designers. It's not a natural talent or it's not something they learned. They don't understand why (from an objective standpoint) why certain design decisions are good and certain ones are not. They don't understand why things are implemented the way they are. As a result when they offer feedback, it's usually crap. When you give the community too much voice and much of that voice is bad then it directly impacts the game negatively. I'll give a few example of this. Let's use Forever 29. It took forever to get to 30 in Vanilla Destiny to the point that it became a meme. This was an issue with a lot of people and there was a loud voice saying this was terrible. I have no factual proof but I would actually say that the largest quantity in voicing this opinion were the casuals that hit the wall super early. They noted that the grind was too long and it was too terrible so they needed to change it. What did we get? The ultimate end result is Destiny 2 where the progression and growth is quick and for the most part pretty even. I'll break this down in a few ways.

• The casual voice having a large meaning is ultimately bad for a game like Destiny. Contrary to popular belief the franchise and the installments are a loot-based shooter that works as a Games as a Service. If you don't think so then that is fine. When casual players who are not going to stick with the franchise for the long run ultimately voice something that is going to negatively impact the game in the future it punishes the population that will ultimately care about the game: the hardcore and hybrid players. They are voicing an opinion and the result is something that is contrary to the beliefs and philosophy of the hardcore. The hardcore want to have a carrot (perhaps not a shitty carrot but a carrot nonetheless) and keep playing the game. As crappy Forever 29 was, it was actually not the worst thing on the planet. Perhaps in the console ecosystem it was the worst the industry has seen but in reality it's not. It kept the hardcore playing and actually weeded out the hardcore from the casuals. Unintentionally it cut the casual crowd to the wayside and helped Bungie to identify their target audience (one that they can ultimately make money from) but we will get into specifics later in my second main point.

• The second example I'll use for why casual players having a voice in Destiny is bad is due to the random rolls. I'll preface with saying this, don't discount this opinion because you disagree with it or because it disrespects your time or whatever. Listen to the actual thought process here because perhaps this game wasn't designed for you (and we'll get to who the game is designed for later like I said earlier). Games as a Service is ultimately designed and created for you to continually play the game for a long time. I know people hate calling Destiny an MMO but it actually has all the hooks that make players keep playing like an MMO. If anything, it brought MMO like elements to console and made it a hit. This is a fact. Strikes are dungeons, Raids are raids, competitive PVP RPG elements are there. By its inherent nature the game rewards players who keep playing and those who don't. That's a fact in the design of games in this genre. Why should a player who played 12 hours be rewarded in a same way that a player who has invested in 120 hours. How does that make sense? It doesn't. People who complain about godrolls and random rolls being crappy, ask yourself this. Do you think it's fair that someone who has spent 12 hours playing the game should be given the same reward as a person as 120 hours? Getting godrolls is a probability game. The more you play, the more likely chance you are of getting that perfect gun. If your answer is that it is fair then you are being contradictory and you shouldn't be complaining. If your answer is no then ask yourself this, do you think as a Level 1 Guardian should have the same item and gear as powerful as a Level 20 Guardian? If your answer at this point is no then you aren't being logically consistent. The ultimate point I'm making is that people who don't like godrolls and people who don't like random rolls on Destiny have a legitimate reason to be upset. But the massive changes that resulted (which is the weapons system in Destiny 2) punishes the population that truly care about the game and those that want to put the time and dedication into getting those efforts. Not every player needs to get everything and have everything. People need to understand that. If your response back after reading this is to argue about godrolls and its legitimacy (or illegitimacy) then you missed my point. I only used this as an example to communicate one of my main points: the power of the casual voice and its negative impact.

To bring this back home I want to make a contentious point: Destiny 2 is a result of the Community's fault. I'm not talking about the Hardcore Community. I'm talking about everyone who has voiced their opinion about the game. If you voiced an opinion, you're part of the community, and chances are a good chunk of the game's community at a certain point were full of casuals. The loud voices ultimately ruined the game. The casual gamers have garnered such a strong voice at the launch of Destiny 1 and The Taken King and the initial praise overshadowed everything and the developers took this feedback to heart. Bungie reacted in a kneejerk way and it ultimately impacted the game. I'm not saying Bungie shouldn't listen to feedback. If I wanted to say this in a succinct and no bars hold kind of way then I would say this: Bungie, most gamers are dumb and don't know good design and they definitely don't know what they want so why the fuck are you listening to them? (Now I will make a side point here. When I say the word "ruined" it's a matter of perspective. To the casuals it's actually not ruined. It's made better. However I use the word ruined here intentionally because of 1.) this game is a Games as a Service and therefore is not addressed to the casual crowd and 2.) my second point which I"m getting into)

Know Your Addressable Market

Game Development is a business. This is a fact. Bungie and Activision are ultimately here to make money. They want to maximize profits. However, it's difficult to maximize profits when you don't know your target audience. Or in more corporate terms: addressable market. When you try to sell a shoe and the person doesn't have feet due to military service then you're not doing yourself a favor. You want to make a product for a specific market in mind. When I see Destiny 2 I ultimately see a developer (and ultimately the publisher that didn't understand its product fully for marketing) failing to cater to a specific market. It reveals to me, from the outside looking in, that they don't understand who this game is designed for and shows complete ignorance in actually understanding their community's wants and desires. As a side note I will interject and make the point that I understand Bungie has come out publicly and said Destiny 2 as it stands right now is actually what they completely intended. If this is the case then this drives my point home even further (when put in combination with my first major point).

You can't look at Destiny 2's addressable market without looking at Destiny 1. Destiny 1 at the end of its lifespan was left to the hardcore. The super passionate fans who loved the game for what it ultimately became: a fulfilling loot-based shooter with periodic content upgrades that made progression meaningful. The game wasn't perfect by any means but Bungie made enough changes over years to make it a meaningful experience. By this point Bungie should've understood who they should be designing Destiny 2 for. This specific crowd. The hardcore players. These are the players that will stick by them through the fire and the storms. These are the players that will keep paying and buy more. It's brand loyalty. But it's also a group of players that ultimately get Bungie and Destiny. The hardcore understand the game and they love it.

For some reason, however, Bungie thought it was a good idea to create a game not for them. They created a game with a ton of more activities but doesn't reward them properly therefore creating a bad progression system. It affected play time. There is no incentive to keep playing like Destiny 1. Bungie thought it was a good idea to roll back many additions and changes made to Destiny 1's end thinking the hardcore players wouldn't notice them. This isn't a good business strategy. Why would you make an objectively inferior product for a market that you already know? Well, that's the issue actually. They weren't designing for the hardcore market. They were designing for the casual market. Bungie has gone on paper and stated that Destiny 2 is pretty much what they were aiming for. They wanted a game that's not meant to be continually played but a game that's played for a bit, then dropped while gamers go play other games, and then come back when there's a new content release. There are a few issues with that.

• First issue is that Games as a Service is meant to be played continually. At a certain point it's supposed to be that gamer's "My Game" like DOTA2 and League of Legends is for many people. This may not be your game. You may not have a "My Game." To many gamers out there though, there is a single go to game that people always fall back on. They may go play Xenoblade 2 when it comes out or play the annual Assassin's Creed game. They will always go back to their "My Game" and chances are it's a Games as a Service game. A GaaS is meant to be continually played. I can't reiterate this enough. Bungie's addressable market should be the gamers that spend the longest time with their game. The hardcore gamers. If it's not then why make it a GaaS? Why make Destiny 2 like a GaaS? If a game is not a GaaS then I can understand the mentality of ultimately putting down the game until the sequel or not. Destiny is not that game. It was clearly not designed that way. We have events that happen. We have regular content expansions. These are clear signs that the game was designed to be a GaaS. So why would you come out to public and say something that is philosophically contradictory to core of GaaS mentality? It only makes sense when you draw the conclusion that Bungie doesn't understand its target audience, or they simply don't care, or they didn't pay attention.

• Second issue is that they do not understand the business repercussions it has when creating a game for the casual audience when it works as a games as a service. Games as a Service has a way of monetizing beyond the initial purchase. In-Game item purchases and expansion passes being the most prevalent for Destiny 2. Piggybacking off of the previous point, the people who are going to play your game the longest have a longer statistical chance of buying something in game. They're more invested so they don't mind dropping some dough. If you create a game that is not designed for the hardcore, then why do you have an element of monetization that is antithetical to that? Microtransactions is a pinnacle of success for GaaS, which Destiny clearly is, but the game is not designed to reward the hardcore so you have the following paradox. Destiny 2 is designed to be a GaaS but it's a bad GaaS so the hardcore don't play it as long. As a result they don't buy MTs. So you make less money. But you get the initial large casual crowd which will dwindle over the period of the product's life and therefore you have no increasing revenue flow. How does this make sense? It doesn't. This is business 101. You make a GaaS with MTs. You cater the game to the hardcore crowd (who cares if the casuals don't like it, they're not the addressable market) and the hardcore will naturally buy MTs. The casuals wouldn't stick long with the game anyway so they're not predictable sources of revenue income.

• Third issue is that there is the complete ignoring of the actual addressable market: the hardcore crowd. This will be piggybacking everything we've talked about so far. You design a game for the addressable market otherwise your product is worthless. If we take Bungie's word at face value and despite Destiny 2 being a GaaS, it's a product meant to be fore the casuals, what's the source of income? The initial sales? Why are you making DLC? Why are you doing MTs? Why are you ignoring the actual people that will keep playing the game. Because Bungie has designed Destiny 2 with a certain mindset, they are completely neglecting the crowd that had put up with its predecessor for 3 years. This is a bait and switch clean and simple, intentional or not. Ignoring the hardcore poses a simple problem. Life expectancy of the game. Every game without a hardcore fanbase in a GaaS will die. Casuals will ultimately leave the game. If you created a game for the casual and they are ultimately going to leave the game then where does that leave the hardcore? It actually leaves them nowhere. The franchise is smeared and it ultimately goes away. This is what's happening right now. It's been slowly happening but now we see the more public degradation in physical appearance. Reddit. I understand people think reddit sucks and it's crap but Reddit is still a good gauge for the health of a community. The past few weeks have been non-step hate trains. They're not illogical hate trains for the most part. They're pretty well-reasoned with lots of critique. This is the ultimate result of a group of people that went ignored. These group of people expected a certain product that would satisfy the same needs and wants of the predecessor but didn't get it. Bungie ignored the addressable market and created something entirely else and so the end result is the actual addressable market being upset that they got sold something that wasn't entirely what they expected. Destiny 2 and Destiny 1 are designed differently. Different designs? Different Product. Different product? Different markets.

Destiny 2 is actually a biproduct of the The Taken King's positive reception and success. The casuals gobbled it up, praised it, and ultimately left the feedback to Bungie and went onto play another game. Bungie treated these praises as checkboxes and created a game around these checkbox improvements and released the sequel. They created a sequel with the critique and feedback of a group of people that wasn't even their addressable market and so the actual addressable market (the hardcore) are rightly upset. Do you often see people why people actually don't like The Taken King? That's probably because they're a hardcore player and chances are while the initial taste was great, the aftertaste was not.

Conclusion

I said a lot of things. This is very long. I'm sorry but I felt the need to write something like this to logically explain the state of things. I wrote this to explain the problem. So what ultimately should be the conclusion? Well, the solution is actually simple. Fix the problems I addressed above. Stop listening to the community and everything it has to say. We are smart sometimes but we are dumb a lot of the times. Secondly, know your product and who it's for. Furthermore, stand by it. Don't sell us something but it's actually not that product. Don't sell a GaaS to the hardcore audience but it's not a good GaaS. That doesn't work. No one wants to buy a crappy shoe. We want a good one. These are big picture solutions though. I wanted to go over what Bungie actually needs to do. Some actual tangible things.

First thing is first. Bungie, you need to talk. I understand you're a business. I understand you're a corporation. You have some politics to deal with. You can't share everything. We get that. We're not stupid. But because we're not stupid we're not going to put up with your PR talk and your PR excuses. You don't have to have an aura of mystery and professionalism and marketing all the time. Do you know why the Bungie community loved you for so long? Because of the community interaction you had. Bring that back. Posting something that the community does on your Weekly Update doesn't make you a community oriented company. Being real and upfront and honest does that. Own up to it. Open up and talk.

Secondly, you need to sell the product to us and actually give us a vision of the game. Yes, you make a product and we as the consumers gobble it up. It's the consumerism cycle and the sales cycle. We get that. However, just like how you pitched to Activision about the grand vision and scale of what Destiny franchise and project is, you need to do that for us. Not only do we need to feel your vision while playing the game but we need to hear you say it. We need to know what your ultimate goal is and share that goal with us. Share your vision so not only are YOU excited for the vision but so are your fans.

I'm sure I missed a lot. This was long to write. But this is all I had to say on this matter. I am concluding this in the most unprofessional way possible simply because I think it's only so poignant to end in such a way.

-------

If anyone ultimately disagrees with anything I've written here, I would love to publicly debate with you. Not to win. The whole point of a debate in my opinion is to share information, perspective, to understand, and ultimately to learn. Agree to disagree is a perfectly viable conclusion.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OP, how do you reconcile the fact that the hardcore who were complaining, often loudly, about having to deal with "double RNG" and having to grind to attain god-roll weapons in Destiny 1 are now complaining, loudly, that there isn't double rng and there isn't anything to grind for in Destiny 2?

Hard mode: Answer without claiming that the people who were complaining about double RNG in the Destiny 1 days "weren't really hardcore."

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to make a similar post to this but you did a great job. Only thing I think this post needs is the whole specific laundry list of problems players have listed with D2, not just in regards to loot. There are a ton of other problems besides that. One point I want to mention though is how they tried to "cater to hardcore" by making the PvP "more competitive" but the hardcore PvPerss seem to overwhelmingly hate the changes they made.

Oct 27, 2017
The Ether
OP, how do you reconcile the fact that the hardcore who were complaining, often loudly, about having to deal with "double RNG" and having to grind to attain god-roll weapons in Destiny 1 are now complaining, loudly, that there isn't double rng and there isn't anything to grind for in Destiny 2?

Hard mode: Answer without claiming that the hardcore didn't have a problem with double RNG in the Destiny 1 days.

Because what gamers say they want and what they actually want are often not the same.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the community's fault that Destiny 2 is missing a lot of the QoL features that were present in Destiny 1 or The Taken King. I highly doubt anybody in the community asked for consumable shaders (with no way to dismantle stacks rapidly, I might add. Just let me hold down the dismantle button)

Nobody probably asked for them to move quest objectives back into the inventory after they created a dedicated interface for it with The Taken King update. For every improvement Destiny 2 made, there's multiple steps back. Nobody asked for them to remove heroic story missions, heroic strikes. (which are now being reintroduced in a $15 paid expansion)

When you make a "sequel" to a GaaS game, it shouldn't be missing tons of things that the first game had. Having different content is fine but it shouldn't be missing mode/gameplay offerings that the first game had. (Not to mention there is a fair amount of asset reuse present in Destiny 2.)

I can't look at any feedback Bungie got from TTK and think it constituted them removing multiple things that were present in Destiny 1 that just aren't present in 2. Is it the community's fault Bungie made most if not all of the exotics uninteresting (and most are just bad) and basically just legendaries because they want to avoid creating Gjallarhorn again? But instead they came up with the same problem because none of the exotics that do things interestingly are "good" since something like the Tractor Cannon which is different from every other shotgun is just a bad shotgun.

And instead they also introduce "infinite RNG" at cap with the Legendary mods where most of the Legendary mods are completely useless but there's no way to get them other than complete RNG and hope you get ones that give you a stat that you want or reduce grenade cooldowns or the like. I also sure love farming glimmer to reroll Legendary mods.

Last edited:

Arkage

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hard mode: Answer without claiming that the people who were complaining about double RNG in the Destiny 1 days "weren't really hardcore."

There's different types of RNG, some acceptable some not. Getting a blue from a purple engram should not be RNG. Getting a good roll on a gun should be, especially when trying to mimic MMO tendencies.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'll preface with saying this, don't discount this opinion because you disagree with it or because it disrespects your time or whatever. Listen to the actual thought process here because perhaps this game wasn't designed for you (and we'll get to who the game is designed for later like I said earlier).

This argument is what sets me off. I fall into the hybrid player that you described and I despised random rolls because they took the fun out of getting specific drops. Saying that my most played game of all time wan't designed for me and shouldn't be is a way for the super hardcore to brush off all other complaints as not being valid because the game shouldn't be for anyone else.

Palindrome during AoT is a great example of what I mean. I got five or six from drops. I got excited each time only to have bad rolls. The gun everyone was gushing over was never good when I got it. If Destiny had procedural loot this wouldn't be an issue but because it all has set names, I should be able to have at least some expectation of how it will perform.

OP
OP
kayos90

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at a restaurant but I'll address all points when I get home.

Oct 27, 2017

"Double RNG" dealt with light level from my memory. You had to get the right roll and then also had to have it drop above your current light level to advance.

Once they changed the loot system to always drop above your current light level I don't remember anyone complaining about that.

D2 seems to break so many things that were already solved in D1 I'm.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
This argument is what sets me off. I fall into the hybrid player that you described and I despised random rolls because they took the fun out of getting specific drops. Saying that my most played game of all time wan't designed for me and shouldn't be is a way for the super hardcore to brush off all other complaints as not being valid because the game shouldn't be for anyone else.

Palindrome during AoT is a great example of what I mean. I got five or six from drops. I got excited each time only to have bad rolls. The gun everyone was gushing over was never good when I got it. If Destiny had procedural loot this wouldn't be an issue but because it all has set names, I should be able to have at least some expectation of how it will perform.

What do you think about random rolls while having a system in place that let's you work towards putting whatever perks you want (as long as it's a perk usable within that class of gun) onto a gun? I always thought that seemed like an obvious solution.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So you're blaming "the community" but then also saying the folks who Bungie is trying to appeal to aren't the real audience? Your argument seems to contradict itself at several times, like on whether Destiny 1 at the end of its life actually appealed to the hardcore players.

I'm a "casual" Destiny 1 player. I got the game near the end of its life, beat the story content and expansions, did all of the Strikes, and two Raids. I then went back to playing other games and ignored Destiny 2. I barely played any multiplayer outside co-op and never grinded for rolls. I also never complained about the game's grind (outside obvious shit like having to collect a billion Spinmetal for the swords) because when it got dull, I just stopped playing.

Last edited:

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, I'm a hybrid player as well. My wife and I like playing the game together, but have kind of reached a point where there's not much for us to do. We liked to run Strikes in D1, but they're largely pointless in this one, especially without any real gear incentives or Heroic version out of the gate.

Hell, I don't know why the Vanguard guns and armor can't randomly be earned inside the Strikes, like how you sometimes get Crucible gear after a round.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
In short, Bungie killed the RPG in Destiny 2. I feel weak and stats are much less important. Cooldowns are way too long. You only get 2 clumps of 4 skills that you cannot customize. Exotics were made to be so powerful that using multiple would be OP, now they're so weak that there's no reason you can't equip more. There's never something better to aim for. Once you have gear, you're done, there's nothing keeping min/max-ers going for the best gear. It was ok to not have a god-roll, that extra bit of power was there for people to grind if they still wanted something more, but it didn't make your gear bad if it didn't roll perfectly.

Now everyone is the same. There's no choice. I'm light 295 and I have no reason to go higher, I have done the raid and nightfalls, I have the best gear. I have no reason to go higher because it won't change how powerful I am. Prestige activities don't make me more powerful so there's no reason to aim for 300. I have 66 hours in the game. If this is a game meant for me to keep playing, then it's doing a horrible job. I can get ten times the playability from Borderlands 2 or Diablo 3. It makes no sense.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think about random rolls while having a system in place that let's you work towards putting whatever perks you want (as long as it's a perk usable within that class of gun) onto a gun? I always thought that seemed like an obvious solution.
I think the reverse of that would be better for my preferences. Set drop rolls but you can replace them with a random perk.

I could also see a system where there's a few weapons that can be crafted with random rolls being good for longevity.

There's ways to add some randomness back in that I think could work but I really want to be able to know that when I get something like Nameless Midnight to drop, it's going to function like the Nameles Midnight people are excited about.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
USER WARNED FOR: "Drive-By" posting.
Yeah I cant even get past the intro. I haven't even played destiny.

Guy, the 'dumb players' were controlling the market by deciding what was, and was not good game design, until the seventh gen, when all our choices were forced out of the market. And quite frankly, what we had in their respective time periods, crap on this garbage from orbit.

OP
OP
kayos90

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I cant even get past the intro. I haven't even played destiny.

Guy, the 'dumb players' were controlling the market by deciding what was, and was not good game design, until the seventh gen, when all our choices were forced out of the market. And quite frankly, what we had in their respective time periods, crap on this garbage from orbit.

Not trying to be rude but if you can't get past the intro why are you posting here? You're essentially drive by posting.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The most bizarre part of your argument OP is the idea that casual players complained about random weapon rolls.

There is the casual player. These are the players that pick up a game and once they feel that they've sufficiently "completed" the game move on to the next best thing and maybe come back. Maybe.
The second example I'll use for why casual players having a voice in Destiny is bad is due to the random rolls.

The casual audience you describe doesn't give a shit about getting a perfect roll for a weapon. After all, they're just playing the game until they feel they've "sufficiently completed it". They don't care about having a perfect PvP build, they don't spend hours grinding needles to get tiny statistical advantages. You don't need a perfect roll to just finish all the basic story content or get cool weapons.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Dude I was and am still a hardcore Destiny player. I absolutely hated grinding for god-tier weapons. It was disrespectful of my time as a gamer and I'm much happier with their current gameplay philosophy, which falls more along the lines of what Yoshida of FFXIV stated. He understands there other games out there so he encourages people to play other games and hopes that with each update/expansion, those people will come back, engage with the content, then jump out and play other games until the next update rolls in.

So, yea, I played a shit ton of the new Destiny and completed the Raid and had an amazing time. I put the game on the backburner as I started to play some other stuff and now that the expansion is rolling out, I can't wait to jump back in.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I read your whole OP, and I agree in some places. I'm in the hardcore crowd along with my clan. But I think TTK and RoI progression was better than anything before it. Destiny was all I played for years.

I think it's more than just not having interesting loot to grind for...

The game is a shell of Destiny 1. It's essentially a reboot of the franchise with a quarter of the content of D1 and what content is there is recycled. It's no surprise people are leaving in droves. No grimoire, no ghost shells, no secrets, missing difficulty modes. Recycled enemies, recycled weapons, recycled gear, recycled class abilities, recycled environments. Reduced PvP fireteams, etc. There is just nothing new or fresh about it after the first 10 hours.

We played this game for years already. It started to get old in D1 with RoI, this is a continuation of that trend. People are just tired of the same thing and were hoping Destiny 2 would be more. My clan of 8 is basically no more and nobody is excited about the expansion. GaaS don't remove content and features and reboot. Diablo is maybe the only game that gets away with a reboot and even that was panned for years until it got back to a good level.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 has been a travesty. It's insane that not more people are kicking and screaming about it.
Pitting the problems on the audience as opposed to the developers is beyond insane. Destiny isn't developed by committee. People are paid to make this stuff and it's their job to determine what is right and what is wrong, or, what will work for the game, and won't work for the game.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
The most bizarre part of your argument OP is the idea that casual players complained about random weapon rolls.

The casual audience you describe doesn't give a shit about getting a perfect roll for a weapon. After all, they're just playing the game until they feel they've "sufficiently completed it". They don't care about having a perfect PvP build, they don't spend hours grinding needles to get tiny statistical advantages. You don't need a perfect roll to just finish all the basic story content or get cool weapons.

In my experience, they were the complainers. People that complained that they didn't feel like they "finished" the game because they couldn't have everything after only 20 or so hours.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not trying to be rude but if you can't get past the intro why are you posting here? You're essentially drive by posting.
Because the crux of your argument is that a large contigent of players see this as a garbage anti consumer time sink with precious little content stretched way to thin and repeated to ad naseum, ie the gaas model in a nutshell, are actually too damn stupid to have that opinion, and they must be handwaved away to talk about the corporate agenda.

Guess what guy, yeah, games are a business, and every single opportunity they get, the bean counters and stuffed suits on the business end will do everything they possibly can to silver tounge their way into our pockets while squirting liquid terds all over us from the other end. Thats the way it has always been, since the beginning. The entire history of our hobby was a constant struggle to keep that in line, supporting the studios that made the best games, with the best mechanics, made the most progress, broke the most ground, while ditching incumbents that became complacent and replacing them with the new next big thing that did what we wanted. Until we stopped, and a handful of AAAAA incumbents reached deep into their pockets, and literally nuked the competitive landscape.

Screw their business model, its garbage game design, and those 'stupid players' have every right to state that opinion without some accidental astroturfer trying to denigrate their voices.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
bungie have been making a lot of odd decisions, butthe destiny community has been unbearable since the launch of vanilla d1, and i think it's really hurt the game

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I basically stopped paying attention and got defensive at "the loudest ones are usually the dumbest". I don't know whether you're talking about me or not since I didnt keep reading, but I do consider myself pretty "loud" when it comes to D2, but not dumb. I'll read it later if I have time.

Edit: Ok I see youre talking more about casuals being loud. That's still offensive but it isn't me. I'd say the problem overall is that they went too casual. They went way way overboard. It's ok to be casual yet at the same time have an end game. But there is no end game. There is no reason at all to do so much that is there and there is much that used to be there that was just ripped out of the game.

And now that these casuals have played the game that's it. And what are we left with? Nothing. There are no casuals because they already played it and there are no hardcore because they made the game for the casuals with nothing more. So everyone is just done with it. They basically gave a big "fuck you" to their more hardcore base imo and now they get to reap what they've sewn. Enjoy.

And I can get past all that pretty easily. I wasnt super excited or anything for Osiris, but I was going to at least play through it and hop on every once in awhile and probably buy all the new content too.

Except then I found out that they fucking programmed and implemented a lie into their game. That still blows my mind that they had the audacity to do that. So I will no longer give them my money. People can get mad all they want about people like me saying Bungie can go away. But for all I care, they can go away. Once you lie to me that's all there is. All that's left of Bungie to me is a lie. They should be ashamed.

So unless they're about to pull an Xbox 180 here with their blog post and future actions, I'm done ever giving them a single penny.

Last edited:

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because the crux of your argument is that a large contigent of players see this as a garbage anti consumer time sink with precious little content stretched way to thin and repeated to ad naseum, ie the gaas model in a nutshell, are actually too damn stupid to have that opinion, and they must be handwaved away to talk about the corporate agenda.

Guess what guy, yeah, games are a business, and every single opportunity they get, the bean counters and stuffed suits on the business end will do everything they possibly can to silver tounge their way into our pockets while squirting liquid terds all over us from the other end. Thats the way it has always been, since the beginning. The entire history of our hobby was a constant struggle to keep that in line, supporting the studios that made the best games, with the best mechanics, made the most progress, broke the most ground, while ditching incumbents that became complacent and replacing them with the new next big thing that did what we wanted. Until we stopped, and a handful of AAAAA incumbents reached deep into their pockets, and literally nuked the competitive landscape.

Screw their business model, its garbage game design, and those 'stupid players' have every right to state that opinion without some accidental astroturfer trying to denigrate their voices.

man, you're really mad about a game you haven't played.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice write-up. It's very unfortunate how much they've catered to the type of people who treat Destiny as a game they play, finish, and don't touch until maybe the next content update.

I wish people had been as vocal about Destiny 2's microtransactions as they were about Battlefront 2's. They have no place in a game with a season pass. Microtransactions are justified with free content upgrades, of which Destiny has none.

I basically stopped paying attention and got defensive at "the loudest ones are usually the dumbest". I don't know whether you're talking about me or not since I didnt keep reading, but I do consider myself pretty "loud" when it comes to D2, but not dumb. I'll read it later if I have time.
If you're upset about it, it likely isn't describing you.

I skimmed, but I think he's talking about the ones who Bungie listened to when they took the community's feedback in consideration.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Assuming you mean the RNG of the roll + the RNG of the engram being decrypted into the value, (ie legendary engram actually giving you a legendary item), I haven't seen anyone clamoring for wanting that back. That 2nd bit was total BS that a high engram could drop a low-tier item, and people are happy it's gone.

If you mean double RNG as in getting the gun + getting a roll you like, I don't recall that being a major complaint from the majority of players of the first game. I'm sure some didn't like it, but that's really how most loot based games work. Hell, look at Borderlands. It's all about the randomness.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
man, you're really mad about a game you haven't played.

1. I don't need to play the second one. I've played enough business models disguised as games to recognize what people are complaining about, when they complain about it.

2. That had absolutely zero to do with Destiny 2, or any damn videogame and if you cant recognize that, because clearly defending the corporation comes before hearing other people, that's seriously messed up.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In my experience, they were the complainers. People that complained that they didn't feel like they "finished" the game because they couldn't have everything after only 20 or so hours.
That has nothing to do with random weapon rolls. People who are only concerned about "having everything" don't give a shit if their cool weapon has lower stability than the ideal or whatnot. They'll care about whether it requires too much time to get a cool gun (see the complaints about farming for the Exotic swords in Destiny 1), not how much time it takes to get an optimal cool gun.

Generally you only start to care about pushing for optimal numbers when the game becomes extremely difficult or when you're serious about PvP. Neither of those is something players who drop a game "after 20 or so hours" care about. It's something people who play the game for hundreds of hours care about.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
That has nothing to do with random weapon rolls. People who are only concerned about "having everything" don't give a shit if their cool weapon has lower stability than the ideal or whatnot. They'll care about whether it requires too much time to get a cool gun (see the complaints about farming for the Exotic swords in Destiny 1), not how much time it takes to get an optimal cool gun.
By "have everything", they meant perfect gear rolls. I've legitimately come across those people that would rather Destiny drop all the RPG because they wanted the best to drop for them and called everything else worthless. Believe me, I think it's dumb too.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Well now you see what happens when they do decide to design it more for the people with similar complaints as yours. You can literally get every gun in the game within a month and Bungie needs to find ways to artificially slow down progress to make the grind longer.

I think this quote by Bungie's Luke Smith says it all:

"How can my second, third, and tenth Better Devils hand cannon be interesting? That's a question we should be asking and answering as quickly as we can," Smith said.

http://mashable.com/2017/06/29/destiny-2-loot-grind/

Turns out you CAN'T make the 2nd, 3rd, and 10th Better Devils interesting, unless of course you randomize SOMETHING about it, whether it's stats, perks, etc.

As it stands now, I literally insta-dismantle every gun drop in the game I get because I have everything in my vault.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
By "have everything", they meant perfect gear rolls. I've legitimately come across those people that would rather Destiny drop all the RPG because they wanted the best to drop for them and called everything else worthless. Believe me, I think it's dumb too.
And those are players to whom those numbers matter. Which are almost never casual players, because casual players don't play the game long enough or in-depth enough for the numbers on their gear to make a significant difference to their experience.

The Destiny fans who complain about weapon rolls might play the game less than you, but associating them with the same people who just have fun beating the story content and some Strikes with their friends before putting the game down is laughable.

Last edited:

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I read your whole OP, and I agree in some places. I'm in the hardcore crowd along with my clan. But I think TTK and RoI progression was better than anything before it. Destiny was all I played for years.

I think it's more than just not having interesting loot to grind for...

The game is a shell of Destiny 1. It's essentially a reboot of the franchise with a quarter of the content of D1 and what content is there is recycled. It's no surprise people are leaving in droves. No grimoire, no ghost shells, no secrets, missing difficulty modes. Recycled enemies, recycled weapons, recycled gear, recycled class abilities, recycled environments. Reduced PvP fireteams, etc. There is just nothing new or fresh about it after the first 10 hours.

We played this game for years already. It started to get old in D1 with RoI, this is a continuation of that trend. People are just tired of the same thing and were hoping Destiny 2 would be more. My clan of 8 is basically no more and nobody is excited about the expansion. GaaS don't remove content and features and reboot. Diablo is maybe the only game that gets away with a reboot and even that was panned for years until it got back to a good level.

This is almost my exact situation. I felt like I was getting less of a game and losing the nice little features that they introduced during destiny 1. Not to mention what they did to pvp. I felt like destiny 1 had a great pvp scene for casual fun and you had a good competitive mode in trials and most people liked that setup. There were improvements needed, sure, but they pretty much took the soul out of pvp for me. No one from my old group plays together in this one because of that fire team limit (in addition to other gameplay changes).

It really feels like bungie changed a bunch of shit that already worked. Don't even get me started on changes like the arbitrary one to shaders. That one alone made me end up refunding it not too long after.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well now you see what happens when they do decide to design it more for the people with similar complaints as yours. You can literally get every gun in the game within a month and Bungie needs to find ways to artificially slow down progress to make the grind longer.

And you guys seriously cant see why some people are complaining?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 killed the power fantasy and for the most part took away all the OP weapons and exotics that made the game fun.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any explanation for why you can't replay story missions outside of the 3 specific ones each week? I really want to replay the late game missions again but I'm waiting WEEKS for the rotation to feature them again. They're solving problems people had ("Make replaying story missions worthwhile") but doing it in the most convoluted/pointless way.

I'm still amused that they went with this solution without putting a lot more guns in the game. What did they think was going to happen?

The current system is ultimately better (Nothing like farming the hell out of a strike just to finally get an Imago Loop, only to find out it's shit), but Bungie didn't have the number of guns necessary to pull it off.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Because what gamers say they want and what they actually want are often not the same.

11115.jpg

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 killed the power fantasy and for the most part took away all the OP weapons and exotics that made the game fun.
I think appealing to casuals would have done this not because casuals hate not having OP weapons, but because casuals don't care. They don't play the game long enough for those things to really make an impact on them. So if you're just trying to appeal to people who played Destiny 1 like I did, you don't spend any time or resources on the parts of the game that audience never cared about.

What's the point in making the grind fun if the people you are trying to appeal to don't grind in the first place?

Nov 1, 2017
Here's the shorter, non-navelgazing explanation: Bungie has always been bad at communicating with their community and it's finally biting them in the ass after all this time.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
its was a nice reading! but for me it really was the feeling of get way less than even vanilla destiny had, specially with the grimoire and the farm or desire to get new gear, everything on destiny 2 its just "not special", like the new exotics, or the raid mechanics, everything is just bland.

didnt enjoyed D2 10% as i did to first one even with all the problems it had, lets see what they got under the sleeve, but other wise, i would no buy the season pass tbh

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
Destiny 2 is a great game that maybe shouldn't be played endlessly all year, to the exclusion of other games. I felt fucked up and anxious playing Destiny 1, as if every choice I made was making the wrong choice in an endless branching possibility. It was also massively padded by multiple oblique MMO currency systems, having to unlock weapon nodes was busy work, and I think I got one god roll in three years (fakebringer yaaaay).

I'd compare Destiny 1 to a clicker game at its worst - the loot cave was a travesty that should never have happened, infusion and decryption were straight broken. It had so many problems, and once a year I'd have a toxic LFG experience and quit until the next major launch.

There's something fascinating about broken games - I definitely felt that Destiny 1 had something strange and hidden to it. But it was broken.

I'm finding D2 a much smoother and less broken experience - just chasing a couple of high level guns now and seeing what eververse will give up before season reset. I've worked out completing challenges gives a significant XP boost, so that'll be my daily ritual going forward.

I do want to play other games though, and I'd like to write about them. I'm looking forward to a compartmentalised and manageable Destiny, not an addiction that hurts me and I relapse into.

Sites like Youtube and Reddit reward toxicity with immediate validation. A significant portion of the username is being considitioned to be reflexively toxic and reactionary, and that has the potential to blow up into something bigger and harass workers. I'm kinda scared now. Overall CoO seems like it's as substantial as Rise Of Iron, I think I'm gonna enjoy it, and I hope this is a place I can have some good discussions about the game. But the negativity has me bummed out and tired: I don't like it one bit.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a minority player that mostly just cares about the Crucible. Fixed rolls would be a sublime design decision, if every gun had it's own distinct identity and was brimming with some genuine personality. Instead, a lot of these guns are packing trash rolls with no power or synergy behind them. I feel so weak and powerless in Destiny 2. There are maybe four solid, usable guns.

I don't get you folks that just wanna grind 250 hours for a perfect Imago Loop. For each one of you that is afforded the luxury of A. not getting insanely bored to the point of wanting to stab yourself throughout that entire grindy endeavor, and B. actually getting that God roll in all your time sunk, there are thousands that don't have the time to get up to such inane bollocks, and even if they did, wouldn't get "that drop". We are all biased, in that we think we'll be the lucky lotto winner, when in reality, the odds are weighed immensely against us. Game design based on thinking in a fallacious way ("I feel like I'll be the lucky winner") instead of a realistic way ("I'll grind for 250 hours and won't necessarily be any closer to actually getting what I want") is shitty slot machine game design, that only benefits people with way too much time on their hands. I say this as precisely one of those who had way too much time on their hands, during the first couple years Destiny was out.

Vctor182

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've read your post and have no idea what you are trying to say as you contradict yourself along the way.
The post starts off with breaking Destiny's playerbase into 3 categories:
Hardcore, Casual and Hybrid. I too agree that there's 3 types of players here but have different names, Fan, Regular and Casual. Casual is the same as yours, Fan would be Hardcore and Regulars are a little bit different than your Hybrids.
The main differences are:
- You compare hybrid players to hardcore. In my opinion Regular are players are not toxic (Fan type can become toxic), they love Destiny and play it on a regular basis and voice their opinions about things they would like to see it improved.
- Casuals don't really voice their opinions, as you've said "These are the players that pick up a game and once they feel that they've sufficiently "completed" the game move on to the next best thing and maybe come back.".
- Fans center their world around Destiny they do some really awesome research about the game and voice their opinions regularly.

Next up is "Most gamers are not good designers. It's not a natural talent or it's not something they learned. They don't understand why (from an objective standpoint) why certain design decisions are good and certain ones are not. They don't understand why things are implemented the way they are. As a result when they offer feedback, it's usually crap. When you give the community too much voice and much of that voice is bad then it directly impacts the game negatively.".
OP are you a videogame developer? If no then your feedback, using your words, it's usually crap. If you are then you remind me of the Principal Skinner am I out of touch? image.

At the end you say " I wrote this to explain the problem. So what ultimately should be the conclusion? Well, the solution is actually simple. Fix the problems I addressed above. Stop listening to the community and everything it has to say" and then "Do you know why the Bungie community loved you for so long? Because of the community interaction you had. Bring that back. Posting something that the community does on your Weekly Update doesn't make you a community oriented company. Being real and upfront and honest does that. Own up to it. Open up and talk."
- You first criticize the community because the feedback they present is usually crap.
- You then criticize Bungie for listening to the community and then advice them to use your feedback and at the same time stop listening to the community.
- And finally you advice them to open up to the community and talk to them.
I'm sorry but I don't really get what you're trying to say.

EDIT: I have more to post but I will organize it for better understanding.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any explanation for why you can't replay story missions outside of the 3 specific ones each week? I really want to replay the late game missions again but I'm waiting WEEKS for the rotation to feature them again. They're solving problems people had ("Make replaying story missions worthwhile") but doing it in the most convoluted/pointless way.

I'm still amused that they went with this solution without putting a lot more guns in the game. What did they think was going to happen?

The current system is ultimately better (Nothing like farming the hell out of a strike just to finally get an Imago Loop, only to find out it's shit), but Bungie didn't have the number of guns necessary to pull it off.

Well, they meed more than just more guns like they have now.

They just plain dont have enough content, or engaging enough gameplay (unless 2 pulled a jesus making wine on the firsts gameplay) to pull off the GAAS progression design.... Which is basically set up like monster hunter, you have a set amount of environments, that you do missions/encounters/raids in, over and over and over again. The gameplay loop, upgrade progression, and variety of encounters, is supposed to be engaging enough to keep the player going for hundreds of hours and more, and in the case of gaas, even longer after that is they intend to drip out new maps and variations on encounters for years.

Opinions and all.... But one seems to have a generally more satisfied base than the other.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Next up is "Most gamers are not good designers. It's not a natural talent or it's not something they learned. They don't understand why (from an objective standpoint) why certain design decisions are good and certain ones are not. They don't understand why things are implemented the way they are. As a result when they offer feedback, it's usually crap. When you give the community too much voice and much of that voice is bad then it directly impacts the game negatively.".
OP are you a videogame developer? If no then your feedback, using your words, it's usually crap. If you are then you remind me of the Principal Skinner am I out of touch? image.

I just want to address this one point real quick.
I remember reading a book from the creator of Spelunky that said something along the lines, people are great at telling you what they feel when doing something, they are often bad at telling you why they feel that way. I've taken a class focused on user focused design that basically suggested the same thing. I feel like that is what OP was trying to get at. The feedback is super important, the suggested solutions might not be what is actually the best choice.