• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzume

Oct 30, 2017
D2 has some fundamental problems can't be fixed easily IMO.I have lost faith in bungie could righting the ship in time.I hope I'm wrong though.

Gulfwarvet

Oct 30, 2017
Watched the second video last night. It really does open your eyes to how bad the weapon system is in d2.

How it go through internal testing boggles the mind.

They need to split pvp and pve. But they wont because readons

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the problem is that Bungie are either stuck having to make an inordinate amount of content to keep the community happy OR they have to introduce more grind to get any rewards. The former is probably very difficult for them given Activision demands and the latter, divisive.

I think there is a bigger question of what people expect from a £55 title. I'd wager most of the community have over 100 hours logged in D2 already with many going way over that. Is that a good return even though some after say 50/60 hours started to have issues with the game?
No, I actually clocked this with a friend. After about 15-20 hours of game-play, the loop was effectively completed and they were just playing recycled content. At that point the sole motivator was grinding light level via public events primarily (As strikes were not as rewarding and he had completed all of them). In order to reach an undefined light level (We all didn't know what we would need to reach for the unknown raid, etc.) He ended up stopping pretty disheartened with the game at around 40 hours, with a 299 light level warlock, three or four raid clears, and a max level titan, who wasn't a high light level. I pushed through more hours, I think I'm around 140-160 now, because of playing with multiple different friends and many successful and unsuccessful raids (I'm not sure how many times I've cleared it, but it's a good amount). Though at least 100 hours were clocked in the first few weeks, counting afk time. I was max (possible) light on three characters before the raid was available.

Point being we kind of settled out, that you can really complete the available content, bar hard mode raid, in about 25-30 hours. And some of that will be light grinding.

The main incentive piece to come back and replay the content is gear, and the gear is frankly boring.

Nov 13, 2017
If you don't mind me asking, what did you get out of the experience that made your limited style of play worth it for you versus the numerous other titles out there? What's the reward for you to do those Milestones, the drive?

Well, it does let me play other titles because I can level up, which means I come back to it, D1 was frustrating in that aspect to me.
Also the gameplay is feels satisfying, the 4v4 pvp makes more sense to me and I enjoyed it more, I like the worlds they built too. I liked a lot of Destiny 1 too, but the grinding to level and public events being hidden I didn't care for, so thats just me.

It feels like people want D2 to be the game they can play 4hrs every night and never ending. and I think is clear that was not the goal, and I believe they said that on some interviews last year, play it, finish the content, come back a few months later for the expansion

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm spending a lot of hours on the PvP
When I hear you guys talking about the 6vs6 it sounds fun, with wider maps and more Halo like combat, but I'm having lot's of fun with the more tightened experience of the D2 quickplay.

Had lots of fun in the IB (Despite the shit RNG)

Sebbi

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dont think D2 can be saved, they removed so much of the character and identity from D1. The shallow subclasses for instance, how do you "fix" that? A great example of how playing it safe just ends up boring and uninspiring. D1 pvp was fast paced and fun with many options of counterplay (not Y3).

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
What do you guys think about loot specific quests and goals?

I personally loved getting the Touch of Malice in TTK, as well as Time to Explain etc.. I think more big exotic/legendary quests like this would be a cool addition. I also liked the rep-quests from the Taken War, where you did stuff for the Awoken queen and got the scout rifle. Tangible rewards, and challenging quests with clear worthwhile rewards, would be a great addition.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also prioritizing balancing for pvp. Pve suffers because they're tied together for some reason. So instead of stupid powerful exotics, we got watered down ones that don't add a ton to the game.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Destiny community is the first game in which I have actively participated in. Completed vog, Wrath, crota and reached the end of the King's Fall with your help and for that I thank you.

In year 1 I stuck with the game because it was genuinely fun coop experience and it still is.

But something is very wrong with the destiny 2 community this time round, it's viscous, impatient, entitled and dare I say toxic. Yes the game has problem like who thought 4v4 was a clever twist?

Anyway, it is very sad to see what I used to consider the best and most warm and welcoming and helpful community descend into viper Pitt of snark and pessimism.

I've seen posters on this very website asking for devs to resign or be sacked over a video game. We are better than this.

In short, some of y'all need to chill out.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm spending a lot of hours on the PvP
When I hear you guys talking about the 6vs6 it sounds fun, with wider maps and more Halo like combat, but I'm having lot's of fun with the more tightened experience of the D2 quickplay.

Had lots of fun in the IB (Despite the shit RNG)
The thing I always loved about Halo was the abundance of wackier/fun game modes and general just playground type game modes. Vehicles also contributed to that greatly to allow different styles of play. I don't like hardcore PvP, at least not in destiny and that's really all they have on offer. It's not just PVE that suffers from a limited scope. But PVE sadly suffers from PVP directly too, due to events being centered around PVP. People shouldn't be forced to play competitive modes they don't enjoy in order to participate in events I understand trials, and that's fine to have. But not for so many other events too. Their focus on PVP is just so so heavy handed, and single minded with options.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Destiny community is the first game in which I have actively participated in. Completed vog, Wrath, crota and reached the end of the King's Fall with your help and for that I thank you.

In year 1 I stuck with the game because it was genuinely fun coop experience and it still is.

But something is very wrong with the destiny 2 community this time round, it's viscous, impatient, entitled and dare I say toxic. Yes the game has problem like who thought 4v4 was a clever twist?

Anyway, it is very sad to see what I used to consider the best and most warm and welcoming and helpful community descend into viper Pitt of snark and pessimism.

I've seen posters on this very website asking for devs to resign or be sacked over a video game. We are better than this.

Because being positive, warm and optimistic didn't get us anywhere. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Well actually that's not completely true, it got us a lot of lip service and platitudes.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because being positive, warm and optimistic didn't get us anywhere. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Well actually that's not completely true, it got us a lot of lip service and platitudes.
Where did I say that?

Being positive and being negative aren't your only two options.

There is some nuance between being doughie eyed and naive and spitting bile and shouting like howler monkeys on the Internet.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy the PC version was delayed would have bought into the hype otherwise. Seems like I really dodged a bullet.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure about random roles back. They don't need it. Just elaborate on the mod system. The game isn't that broken. It's very close to being better but they need to tweak it. My main frustration although is the fact the game exist. Looking back there was really no reason to leave destiny 1, they aren't putting content out any more quickly. It seems mainly as a reason to cash in on a new way to force reset. That is what pisses me off.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy the PC version was delayed would have bought into the hype otherwise. Seems like I really dodged a bullet.
Genuinely still suprised they did that. At first I figured they were pulling a double dip on us because they knew they had something really good on their hands all GTAV. Clearly that wasn't the case. They really should have universally released it if they wanted improved sales.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the problem is that Bungie are either stuck having to make an inordinate amount of content to keep the community happy OR they have to introduce more grind to get any rewards. The former is probably very difficult for them given Activision demands and the latter, divisive.

I think there is a bigger question of what people expect from a £55 title. I'd wager most of the community have over 100 hours logged in D2 already with many going way over that. Is that a good return even though some after say 50/60 hours started to have issues with the game?
The game has so little content though. All the classes were pulled straight out of the first game, and only one subclass for each of them is new, replacing what in my opinion were superior subclasses added with The Taken King.

Character creation straight from the first game.

Nearly all weapons pulled straight from the first game.

And a bunch of evidence pointing to Destiny 2 likely just being scrapped content from the first game. And it shows too, with the rushed 5 or so hour long campaign, fewer strikes, worse PvP, rushed tiny ass zones like Titan and Io, etc...

Borderlands 2 takes like 30 hours to beat. You can get more out of Borderlands 2 without even digging into the real meat of the game than you can Destiny 2 in the time it takes to realize there's no point in continuing to increase your power level.

I'm not sure about random roles back. They don't need it. Just elaborate on the mod system. The game isn't that broken. It's very close to being better but they need to tweak it. My main frustration although is the fact the game exist. Looking back there was really no reason to leave destiny 1, they aren't putting content out any more quickly. It seems mainly as a reason to cash in on a new way to force reset. That is what pisses me off.
And they're gonna do it again every time they release a sequel. From the start, this should have been treated like a Blizzard game or any MMO, and they should have just kept releasing expansions.

Elginer

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
In short, Bungie killed the RPG in Destiny 2. I feel weak and stats are much less important. Cooldowns are way too long. You only get 2 clumps of 4 skills that you cannot customize. Exotics were made to be so powerful that using multiple would be OP, now they're so weak that there's no reason you can't equip more. There's never something better to aim for. Once you have gear, you're done, there's nothing keeping min/max-ers going for the best gear. It was ok to not have a god-roll, that extra bit of power was there for people to grind if they still wanted something more, but it didn't make your gear bad if it didn't roll perfectly.

Now everyone is the same. There's no choice. I'm light 295 and I have no reason to go higher, I have done the raid and nightfalls, I have the best gear. I have no reason to go higher because it won't change how powerful I am. Prestige activities don't make me more powerful so there's no reason to aim for 300. I have 66 hours in the game. If this is a game meant for me to keep playing, then it's doing a horrible job. I can get ten times the playability from Borderlands 2 or Diablo 3. It makes no sense.

You nailed my feelings. I put hundreds of hours into Destiny 1 in both strikes and crucible but just hated how paired down Destiny 2 is. Crucible is also terrible now. It was never super balanced but it was fun.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Part of the problem is that the game simply doesn't have proper variety in terms of equipment, nor the ability to customize your stuff in meaningful ways. I didn't play Destiny 1 much (I just smashed through D1's story shortly before D2's PC release, there's no way I would've tolerated playing a console shooter any further than that), but from what I'm seeing in this thread, aside from the inexplicable cutbacks in terms of meaningful improvements that had been implemented since D1's release, there's also a major reduction in interesting and cool equipment, and even I notice how much the RPG aspect has been greatly reduced, and I'm not sure why the loadout system is so ridiculous - the kinetic and energy weapons are virtually identical aside from one being elemental, and the fact that snipers and shotguns are limited-use power weapons is frankly ludicrous.

The need to balance both PvE and PvP in the same system is frankly a fool's errand - look at what Digital Extremes did with Warframe, which has a completely separate loadout menu and balance set for PvP, because DE knew trying to create a single balance set for both would be harmful for both. Granted, Conclave in Warframe is not a huge draw as far as that game is concerned, but DE made the conscious decision to maintain variety over the nebulous goal of balance. Granted, it helps that DE have a damn good idea of what kind of game they're making - while there has been a couple of PvP events, they're mainly gimmick-based (you'll never catch Bungie making what is basically a hardcore winter snowball fight event in Destiny) and don't take much investment to get all the rewards out of them. They know PvE is the main draw of the game, and embrace it wholeheartedly. Hell, there are even events that actually have potential consequences for failure, such as Fomorian ships trying to destroy relays.

Granted, I don't make it a secret that I just prefer Warframe to Destiny for a variety of reasons - Destiny 2 is fun, even if it's admittedly it's a bit disadvantaged by the fact that Warframe has years of content under its belt and even its own "open-world" area now with activities you simply can't do in Destiny 2. Destiny just feels like just another RPG shooter with lackluster 'class' abilities and limited variety, whereas Warframe, in spite of its jank and its own issues, has incredible mobility, as well as incredible variety in terms of "classes", equipment, customization, actual fucking melee mechanics that are actually pretty cool, and it nails the power fantasy feeling completely in ways that Destiny can't hope to match without complete renovations to the mechanics - I feel like a single Tenno could completely wreck a whole fireteam of Guardians with little effort.

I wish Destiny in general was better than it is, because it frankly has so much potential to, with its stellar production values and sorta-intriguing lore. A premium game shouldn't be making me wish I was playing a F2P game instead. Destiny could be so much more than just a shooter with some RPG mechanics sprinkled on top.

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Might be something behind it.

The story of StarSiege and Tribes, are good prior examples on why you don't listen to the community, look at their suggestions by all means, but make sure what you put in the game at the end actually makes sense.

OP
OP
kayos90

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is they (the players) don't really need to have the ability to "actually understand, comprehend, and digest the designs that are laid out in front of you". The game has to be created for the player not for the developer. The developer might have a reason why you can only have PvP matches 4v4 or that tokens only give you a chance to spin the loot wheel at every planet. But if more than half of your initial player base stops playing your game and the other half is telling you that those things need to change or improve then the developer needs to find out if those design choices affected the decision of the first half of players to leave and stop the other half from doing the same.

The base of your essay can be resumed in:
- Bungie listened to the casual opinion and because casuals do not have much "game literacy" their feedback was wrong and the changes they did harmed more than it did good
- Bungie doesn't know their addressable market and tried to pitch Destiny to the casual market.

Those damned casuals!. The thing is every game needs to attract casuals, first timers, kinderguardians, you name it. They need the money of new players and maybe those new players like the game, become invested and go from casual to regular/hybrid and eventually fan/hardcore. All feedback must be important to the developer and they need to put special attention to the casual feedback if there is any because they, most of the time, do not leave any.

"You can't look at Destiny 2's addressable market without looking at Destiny 1. Destiny 1 at the end of its lifespan was left to the hardcore." But it is a different market because Bungie forced a fresh start. They sacrificed their already established market to expand their addressable market, that's the whole reason of starting from scratch in Destiny 2. Destiny 1 players would have had a lot of advantage over starting players and they did not wanted it. There are tons of ways to have new players catch up with seasoned ones but Bungie wanted to differentiate Destiny 2 from 1.

Overall what I'm trying to say is, in my opinion Bungie was not wrong in:
- Listening to all feedback, including casual.
- Trying to expand their player base.
Which are the points in your essay. They were wrong however in several design choices they made trying to accomplish those objetives.

I honestly think we're missing each other. What you're saying isn't wrong. I agree with your points and ultimately your last two bullet points are exactly what every game should be doing. I'm not saying all casuals feedback is wrong either. Expanding the playerbase is a good goal for any business. I'm trying to more or less convince you to not get bogged down on the detail and think more big picture and focus on that rather than the nitty gritty details.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I personally can't ever get into Destiny because it's a serialized MMO where your progress isn't persistent. All the time spent in Destiny 1 made no difference and now it's a dead game. As someone who's been playing MMO's long before Destiny half-assedly implemented the genre's trappings, it's like "why would I ever play WoW when WoW2 will be out in a few years and nothing carries over?"

Add on how often the gameplay is always in a state of "being fixed guys we're sorry thanks for being fans!!!", the prospect of jumping in has never been less attractive.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I dunno feels like they just subbed one form of grinding for another. in D1 I would grind for a god roll, in D2 I just grind for a drop. Been trying to get certain items for week and just don't get them. Example:

In D1 I wanted the strike hand cannon, had to do strikes for a coin, once got coin had 50% chance at gun and maybe 10% chance that would be a god roll. Maybe took a few days to get it

D2 been trying to vanguard weapons (scout rocket and auto) for weeks, I do weekly stuff grind strike tokens and I get the same hand full of crap over and over.

When I see people complaining they don't have an advantage for playing longer then others I have to laugh. You got the gear I can't get and I play a ton.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
There were dozens of times when you could literally buy not just good rolls but god rolls from the vendor. On top of that many many other times there were very good rolls you could just buy. If you didn't ever get a good Eyasluna or Imago Loop or whatever, Palindrome repeatedly got decent rolls from the vendor. This allowed everyone chances at decent guns. You could just potentially get an amazing one beforehand or after if you missed a good one.

And again, as I've mentioned in other posts here, there are ways of fixing random rolls without making rolls fixed and making every single drop you get, not maybe disappointing or potentially exciting, but always much worse. Boring. Pointless. After you get the guns you want, you delete everything. It makes doing anything at that point pointless. That doesn't have to be the case either. Bungie can fix the issue without swinging the pendulum violently to the other extreme.

The vendor system was also why I hated random rolls. I barely ever got anything good from drops, even after huge numbers of dupes, but eventually just bought one. That's not as fun as getting the gun to drop. Fixed rolls makes the game so much more rewarding. It's exciting when you get the gun you've been looking for and you can just focus on using it instead of waiting for double RNG.

Hawky

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abu Dhabi, UAE
I personally can't ever get into Destiny because it's a serialized MMO where your progress isn't persistent. All the time spent in Destiny 1 made no difference and now it's a dead game. As someone who's been playing MMO's long before Destiny half-assedly implemented the genre's trappings, it's like "why would I ever play WoW when WoW2 will be out in a few years and nothing carries over?"

Add on how often the gameplay is always in a state of "being fixed guys we're sorry thanks for being fans!!!", the prospect of jumping in has never been less attractive.
Luckily enough, there's still enough population to play for Strikes or PvP.

Fun fact: r/DTG recently got a weekly vendor reset thread for Destiny 1 with an entire list of guns/armor (Some has pretty good rolls too) that you can buy with Legendary Marks

Some people can say all they like, but it shows that if nothing else, there was a huge value in grinding for random rolls and Tier 12 stats.

Destiny is a looter shooter and there's no other way around it.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

Keep in mind, Bungie made this same mistake with Destiny 1, and over time they fixed things here and there, to the point where the finished game as of now is a decent balance between power fantasy, grind, and content.

Then they stepped back with Destiny 2. All 3 years of progress gone, and now, again, we're expecting to wait 2-3 years before the game is finally good. Bungie didn't learn from mistakes, and as much as it is good that they are trying to improve, they've already gone through this cycle before.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I feel Diablo handles item variance way better than Destiny 1 did. The items have clear identities and fundamental abilities, but the quality of those abilities is what varies. Similarly, if you wanted a streamlined version of that, just have the Ancient Legendary setup where you get a regular edition of the gun, or an even better one.

Alternately, leave it the way it is now, but put in other, harder to get forms of progression. Have armor sets actually matter and be interesting like sets in other games. Have long term crafting projects like legendary weapons in Guild Wars, which can take months to complete. Put in a much stronger weapon augmentation system. Make some guns exceedingly rare like The Furnace in Diablo.

I don't think you need to lose meaningful gun identity to make a game have progression for hardcore players.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel Diablo handles item variance way better than Destiny 1 did. The items have clear identities and fundamental abilities, but the quality of those abilities is what varies. Similarly, if you wanted a streamlined version of that, just have the Ancient Legendary setup where you get a regular edition of the gun, or an even better one.

Alternately, leave it the way it is now, but put in other, harder to get forms of progression. Have armor sets actually matter and be interesting like sets in other games. Have long term crafting projects like legendary weapons in Guild Wars, which can take months to complete. Put in a much stronger weapon augmentation system. Make some guns exceedingly rare like The Furnace in Diablo.

I don't think you need to lose meaningful gun identity to make a game have progression for hardcore players.

Funny that you mention Guild Wars 2
Destiny 2 feels exactly like it. What kept the grind alive for players in GW2 was the Legendary weapons. I feel that something equal to that can keep the hardcore happy.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Destiny 2, in a nutshell, is a re-release of TTK. It amazed me when reviewers were stating that the sequel finally fixed many issues that plagued the original, when really - TTK had done that already. So, yeah, this reaction is nothing new.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This seems similar to what happened when they were developing Halo games. Destiny 2 to D1 is analogous to Halo 2 and CE.

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. People can be so anti-consumer. It's maddening.
I get why. They sympathize with devs, which is usually fine, but taken to an extreme is anti-consumer. Personally, I don't know why you would allow emotion to step into what's effectively a business transaction. Why defend them so hard? You pay them a fee for a service.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they would have just went full-on MMO.

Most of the people who clamor about "not wanting random rolls" etc, do not have the time to grind and run content over and over. That's the exact definition of an MMO. Instead, they went in the other direction and went casual, for what I presume is more sales. If they just embrased this MMO/GAAS ideology and crafted the game around it with content / loot to boot, it would be glorious. This is coming from someone who loves & still plays WoW, though, and doesn't mind the grind to get better gear to kill harder bosses.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Amazing constructive criticisms...
This is just amazing, like I don't agree with many of your points but this is the very definition of constructive criticism, and how issues with any product should be addressed.

Like, you need an award or something for this. Very intelligent and mature. Bravo man!

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The community hit the end of their rope. In the beginning,when everyone said the game was crap, we saw the brilliance in what Bungie was trying to do (it seemed). We stayed for the combat, the fun guns, and the community itself. Year 2 and Year 3 came and things continued to improve. Quality of life improvments, tons of content, reasons to grind...all made sticking with it worthwhile.

Then here in Destiny 2, they completely abandoned the RPG/Grindy/Stat part of Destiny and made it a casual, everyone is the same shooter. It felt like a step backwards instead of the step forwards from year 3. All of these complaints we are having now? We went through them before, plus some. In year 1, no one said the loot sucked (I mean, Im sure some did). G horn, fatebringer, Vision, and others.

The community finally and collectively just gave up. I enjoy my time with Destiny and Destiny 2, but if they want me to play casually, then fine, I'll play it casually. Log in every few months...kick around, then go play something else and not be a part of the vibrant community that was Year 1.

It really is frustrating that they have the framework in place to make it damn awesome...thousand hour game...but yet make choices that don't support that.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Keep in mind, Bungie made this same mistake with Destiny 1, and over time they fixed things here and there, to the point where the finished game as of now is a decent balance between power fantasy, grind, and content.

Then they stepped back with Destiny 2. All 3 years of progress gone, and now, again, we're expecting to wait 2-3 years before the game is finally good. Bungie didn't learn from mistakes, and as much as it is good that they are trying to improve, they've already gone through this cycle before.
That is definitely frustrating and I agree with that you'll get no disagreement here.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And I've seen a poster go into a thread where people were discussing issues they had with Destiny 2 and called the negativity "masturbatory". Oh wait, that poster was you. Take your own advice.
How does me commenting on people asking for Devs to lose their livelihoods equate to what I posted in another thread?

Relying on old gaf gothca posting techniques , butchering my original post to score pwnage points.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I suspect it is because people are finally seeing the game for what it is... a carrot on the string... and not the good kind.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The community hit the end of their rope. In the beginning,when everyone said the game was crap, we saw the brilliance in what Bungie was trying to do (it seemed). We stayed for the combat, the fun guns, and the community itself. Year 2 and Year 3 came and things continued to improve. Quality of life improvments, tons of content, reasons to grind...all made sticking with it worthwhile.

Then here in Destiny 2, they completely abandoned the RPG/Grindy/Stat part of Destiny and made it a casual, everyone is the same shooter. It felt like a step backwards instead of the step forwards from year 3. All of these complaints we are having now? We went through them before, plus some. In year 1, no one said the loot sucked (I mean, Im sure some did). G horn, fatebringer, Vision, and others.

The community finally and collectively just gave up. I enjoy my time with Destiny and Destiny 2, but if they want me to play casually, then fine, I'll play it casually. Log in every few months...kick around, then go play something else and not be a part of the vibrant community that was Year 1.

It really is frustrating that they have the framework in place to make it damn awesome...thousand hour game...but yet make choices that don't support that.
Excellent post m8, I agree.

It's tough to go back home because you feel it isn't there anymore. I feel you.

I really liked D1 by far my most played game this gen.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2's issues have nothing to do with the RNG roles. Removing those was good. It's destroying PvP, the heavy weapon change, removal of compelling game modes and guns that are less special and fun to use that is killing D2.

Plus garbage like the removable shaders and experience lies.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent post m8, I agree.

It's tough to go back home because you feel it isn't there anymore. I feel you.

I really liked D1 by far my most played game this gen.
Same, most played game ever for me. And it isn't even close...

It really doesn't feel like home. :/ It feels like a number climber...and thats it. It feels like they took out all of the quirky enderaing parts of Destiny 1 and made it the most non-offense, by the book, (yet excellent), shooter that anyone can pick up and play (but for a few end game activities).

OP
OP
kayos90

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is just amazing, like I don't agree with many of your points but this is the very definition of constructive criticism, and how issues with any product should be addressed.

Like, you need an award or something for this. Very intelligent and mature. Bravo man!

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment!

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I can see them doing away with random rolls if there are ways to progress your gear through other means. I just want variance and power when it comes to gear, I really dislike that the same gun in any two people's hands is a complete carbon copy of eachother.

Last edited:

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
what bothers me the most is the amount of tweaks and quality of life changes that were introduced in D1 or that were being discussed repeatedly and that are not in D2.

And I'm not even talking about the fundamental issues with the loot and token systems, or the absurd change to the weapon system, or the 4v4 in PvP, or Eververse. These are tied to the overall design of the game and as much as I don't like it, I can understand why they did what they did.

I'm talking about strike specific loot, raid weapons with perks useful in the raid, record book, a fricking emote wheel, how is vault space still a problem?
These, among many other, where things people enjoyed and that would not go against their new (and to me incredibly bad), game philosophy.

Which really tells something about the development of this game.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
You don't need random perks...

You need more unique rare drops like Fatebringer with fixed perks but customized (choose 3 from 9 perks like it was before).

Make a lot of unique guns and put it as rare random reward in different activities.

- Kill boss X in Raid Y: 0.05% chance to get weapon Z
- Kill boss A in Strike B: 2.5% chance to get weapon C
- Win Crucible match: 0.01% chance drop weapon E

That what made D1 play satisfying and rewarding... you make the game loop fun.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I bought d1 at release and returned it do to the myriad of issues. Friends kept telling me it was so much better after this snd that xpac. I decided to wait for the next game and not even get caught up buying dlc fo fix an incomplete game. D2 has issues for sure but I still play and enjoy it. Feel its a better game than d1 vanilla by far. To each their own I guess

Hawky

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abu Dhabi, UAE
I think some people need to understand that grinding is not bad especially for looter shooters like Destiny. Those games live and die by the excitement of getting more powerful with your character, cool loot to grind and get, and so on. Mind you, there were some mind-numbing stuff like the trash weapon perks in D1 where Bungie could've removed rather than outright removing random rolls. Say what you want about them, but random rolls made getting weapons more exciting

There's a good reason why weapons like Gjallahorn, Fatebringer, Vex Mythoclast, Vision of Confluence, Thorn, The Last Word, and Suros Regime are still remembered to this day. Because you felt like a god when you used them