• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Posted on behalf of Toxi courtesy of the Adopt-A-User program, Etcetera Edition.

NOTE: Do you also have a thread you felt like that is worth posting, but you lack the posting capabilities to do so? Give the volunteers at Adopt-A-User a call, and we will assess whether or not your thread is deemed worthy of ERA ;)

Now, on to the thread!

As someone with family in Buenos Aires, we have been paying attention to the news after a submarine with 44 people onboard lost contact on November 15, and hoping for their survival. Unfortunately, it looks like the worst happened.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/23/world/americas/argentina-submarine-explosion.html
MAR DEL PLATA, Argentina — The Argentine Navy said on Thursday that a catastrophic explosion was recorded in the area where a submarine went missing on Nov. 15, an ominous disclosure that immediately caused relatives of the 44 crew members to burst into tears.

The nature of the explosion, which was described as an "anomalous, short, violent" event, was not immediately clear, but the disclosure dampened the hopes of a multinational team of rescuers who have been searching for the vessel, and immediately revived concerns about the worst outcome.

Capt. Enrique Balbi, a spokesman for the Argentine Navy, said the international search team would continue to look for the vessel, the San Juan.

"Until we don't have certainty we're going to carry on the search effort," he said Wednesday morning.
My hopes go out to the relatives of people on the submarine.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the best for them, and for their families that are waiting for their safe return, although sadly everything points to the worst case scenario.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
So what would cause the explosion? Too deep and pressure?

Possible. However I think an incident with the Oxygen Generator is more likely. Submarines produce oxygen by breaking down water into its constituent parts. So you end up with a decent amount of very, very flammable hydrogen that must be safely disposed of. That could lead a to a catastrophic explosion if not handled correctly.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
This was an old sub, it had been repaired a few years ago and before communications went dark the captain reported an issue with the batteries, which most likely caused the explosion. Worst part is, even if they find the sub, it's been 9 days since it went dark so there's most likely no oxygen left, what a horrible thing, my heart goes out to the families.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
This was an old sub, it had been repaired a few years ago and before communications went dark the captain reported an issue with the batteries, which most likely caused the explosion. Worst part is, even if they find the sub, it's been 9 days since it went dark so there's most likely no oxygen left, what a horrible thing, my heart goes out to the families.

Batteries could have died and the sub sank. Explosion recorded could have been rupture of the hull by implosion because of depth pressure.